daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #4101
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

The Bonaventure looks positively warm and inviting.

Towersla liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 02:40 AM   #4102
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

I was in Los Angeles last week showing some relatives from New Mexico the sites. I pointed out Wilshire Grand and stated that it is brand new and the tallest on the West Coast. My 74-year-old right wing conservative fundamentalist born-again Christian mother who definitely does not pay attention to these things blurted are your sure? That doesn't look like the tallest not even close! She then went on a rant about how God was going to judge California for its wicked ways and these modern day towers of Babylon will come down!

My mother's nutty religious views aside I explained to the group that the tall white pole counted as the total height of the building. They thought this was rediculous. I said that's the way international standards measure building heights.

We might as well get used to having to qualify our statement on WC's record west coast building height. It's the way it is. The unwashed masses will continue to think their intelligence is being insulted. Personally, I like the tower and am anxiously awaiting the lighting schemes on the facade.

Next came my parents rant on how all of those buildings will be destroyed by the "big one" that going to happen "anyday now".
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #4103
Nuwanda

Well, then you go ahead and start adding definitions and reasons to every height statement you make. I won't be. I'll be using the most widely-accepted standard which is the height to the architectural top. And happily, this very forum uses it as well.

Why not start with the Wilshire Grand. What's its height and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
I was in Los Angeles last week showing some relatives from New Mexico the sites. I pointed out Wilshire Grand and stated that it is brand new and the tallest on the West Coast. My 74-year-old right wing conservative fundamentalist born-again Christian mother who definitely does not pay attention to these things blurted are your sure? That doesn't look like the tallest not even close! She then went on a rant about how God was going to judge California for its wicked ways and these modern day towers of Babylon will come down!

My mother's nutty religious views aside I explained to the group that the tall white pole counted as the total height of the building. They thought this was rediculous. I said that's the way international standards measure building heights.

We might as well get used to having to qualify our statement on WC's record west coast building height. It's the way it is. The unwashed masses will continue to think their intelligence is being insulted. Personally, I like the tower and am anxiously awaiting the lighting schemes on the facade.

Next came my parents rant on how all of those buildings will be destroyed by the "big one" that going to happen "anyday now".
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #4104
Kenni
What?

Love this story. You should've driven your 74-year-old right wing conservative fundamentalist born-again Christian mother through West Hollywood.

I have a gut feeling that another super tall looms in the future that will eclipse WG and US Bak Tower. LA is going through a madness of vertical construction, and it's still not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post

aquamaroon liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #4105
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

As long as everyone gets out and votes NO ON S tomorrow!
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:44 AM   #4106
pesto

Likes (Received): 3051

Too bad a woman who probably worked raising kids and keeping them healthy and out of trouble all her life had to end up with a worthless a-hole for a grandson. Reap what you sow, bro.

And, btw, they are right. Anything above the highest generally used interior space doesn't count. Otherwise you can make a one-story building and put a 3000 ft. tower on top and claim you are the tallest. And stuff of that kind has happened. Don't let the "big [email protected] contest mentality keep you juvenile all your life.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #4107
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Too bad a woman who probably worked raising kids and keeping them healthy and out of trouble all her life had to end up with a worthless a-hole for a grandson. Reap what you sow, bro.

WTF.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #4108
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I have a gut feeling that another super tall looms in the future that will eclipse WG and US Bak Tower. LA is going through a madness of vertical construction, and it's still not enough.
From your keyboard to a Chinese billionaire's ears Kenni Fingers crossed we get a new one announced soon, either Angel's Knoll or ideally the remaining financial district parking lot space between Flower and Figueroa not taken up by the Mitsui Fudosan building. My ideal would be if Elon Musk decides to consolidate all his various companies' offices into a single statement supertall in DTLA, but if Greenland USA wants to go REALLY big in America and make something like their new building in Wuhan here, well that'd be fine too

Kenni liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #4109
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
In reality, the tallest "building" (meaning just the building itself) on the West Coast is the Salesforce Tower. But because you add a spire, WGC is the tallest. That is how it should be interpreted.
Sorry but no. You're wrong and living in a fantasy.

Tallest to architectural peak - Wilshire Grand 1,100'
Tallest to roof - US Bank Tower 1,018'

There is literally no scenario where Salesforce is the winner. Spires count, get over it.

redspork02 liked this post
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #4110
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Salesforce has a roof height of 15m taller than US Bank Tower.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #4111
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

I don't consider the top of the hollow cage to be the roof.

Mojeda101, redspork02 liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #4112
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Eddie55, DubaiM, spectre000, sgollis, Hudson11 and 2 others liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #4113
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

Salesforce has a roof height of 15m taller than US Bank Tower.
No. The top of the tower is hollow as seen in that render. It's a transparent parapet which isn't counted toward the actual roof. For Salesforce it's roof only goes to 970'.

Here's the PDF Article submitted for the tower to the SF Planning comissions. Go to Page 173 and scroll down. It's classified as an "Open air metal screen". Actually, it's own PDF labels it's roof at 912' with the Mechanical Pent being the point of 970', so it's official roof could actually be shorter than Wilshire Grand's!

http://commissions.sfplanning.org/cp...12.0257EBX.pdf

Nuwanda liked this post

Last edited by Mojeda101; March 7th, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #4114
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Usually the parapet is counted towards the roof height I thought. Roof height without parapet is usually called highest occupational floor height I thought. That's at least how I use the words for SSP.

I have opened a thread to discuss these matters

Last edited by KillerZavatar; March 7th, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #4115
Nuwanda

I appreciate your efforts at sanity.

And the last few posts illustrate the holes that people dig themselves into when attempting to apply subjective or convenient standards to building height.

How can the parapet be counted? It can't. Oh, wait, it's not a parapet, it's something else. Is it a roof? No, but it's not a parapet. I know, it's an architectural top! You mean like a spire is an architectural top? Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
No. The top of the tower is hollow as seen in that render. It's a transparent parapet which isn't counted toward the actual roof. For Salesforce it's roof only goes to 970'.

Here's the PDF Article submitted for the tower to the SF Planning comissions. Go to Page 173 and scroll down. It's classified as an "Open air metal screen". Actually, it's own PDF labels it's roof at 912' with the Mechanical Pent being the point of 970', so it's official roof could actually be shorter than Wilshire Grand's!

http://commissions.sfplanning.org/cp...12.0257EBX.pdf

aquamaroon liked this post
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #4116
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50664

City nights. #Photography #cityscape #canon #citylights #Longexposure #rainydays #LA #Views #goodvibes #LosAngeles #Photographs #Explore #create #Roamthecity #City #Nightphotography #Buildings #Skies #Cloudy by Alex Martinez, on Flickr

Untitled by Pettoku, on Flickr

Munwon liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; March 8th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #4117
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Please, God, have someone build something in Seattle with a flat roof at 1,101', just to make all this crap stop.
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #4118
Pascual22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I was amazed by this great project for this splendid city.

djole13 liked this post
Pascual22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #4119
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
I don't consider the top of the hollow cage to be the roof.

Yep. I'd switch that thing against Salesforce ANY day of the week :oho:
Old March 9th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #4120
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Forget the ugly tooth pic:it is smaller!
WCG is a Mickey Mouse building;many tourists who are in downtown think they mistakenly ended in Anaheim!BIG DEAL!!
Please explain. I didn't even realize Anaheim had anything so tall, spire/antenna or not.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower