daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM   #441
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

That's a big let down, I've been getting lots of those lately.

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:18 PM   #442
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

+1

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #443
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
That's a big let down, I've been getting lots of those lately.
Welcome to the USA, land of letdowns when it comes to highrises (and most other things)

At least it will have pool, restaurant etc. up high, that will be sweet.

But then again reading the article it does kind of sound like the author just assumed it was shorter than USBT just because of the floor count. We should wait for more information of course before jumping to conclusions, the media can be wrong sometimes.

EDIT: after reading the article again it seems that they don't even have a design yet, so the writer definitely assumed that it would be shorter just because of the (possibly inaccurate) floorcount, no need to worry.

Plus their Asian, we all know Asians love very tall building

Last edited by Jay; May 21st, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM   #444
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Welcome to the USA, land of letdowns when it comes to highrises (and most other things)
The problem is when they propose something huge, then end up building something that's half-assed in comparison. If the Wilshire had been proposed for 50 stories then changed to it's current 70 stories, everyone would be happy by now.

In regards to the article, I guess things could still change, but I wont get my hopes up.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM   #445
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
The problem is when they propose something huge, then end up building something that's half-assed in comparison. If the Wilshire had been proposed for 50 stories then changed to it's current 70 stories, everyone would be happy by now.

In regards to the article, I guess things could still change, but I wont get my hopes up.

70 is actually a higher floor count than either of the original buildings
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:46 PM   #446
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
So this could be taller then the original ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:02 AM   #447
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I hope so

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #448
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

according to to my calculations the old proposal for the hotel had the floor plans at 16.66 ft from ground to ceiling if they keep those floor plans it could reach:

16.66 x 70 = 1,150 - 1,170 ft
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:49 AM   #449
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
True, but the 65 story tower was all offices and from what I hear, office buildings have "taller" floors than hotels. This building will be mostly hotel rooms with 20 stories of offices.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #450
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Well, here's another article but looks like nothing new.

Curbed LA:

Quote:
New Wilshire Grand Will Only Be LA's Second Tallest Tower

You're safe for now, US Bank Tower--the rebuilt Wilshire Grand will still be three stories short of LA's tallest tower, despite entitlements that could allow it to rise far higher. Back in March, developer Korean Air announced that it would be reworking its plans, which most recently called for a 45-story hotel tower and a 60-story office tower, and building just one tower with more hotel rooms (about 900) and much less office space. Now they reveal to the LA Times that the new tower will only be 70 stories, which will still make it the second tallest building in SoCal, and the hotel's lobby will be right at the top (along with restaurants, bars, and pools, all presumably with some of the best new views in LA). The first seven floors will have shops, restaurants, and ballrooms; the next 20 stories will have about 400,000 square feet of office space; the hotel rooms will be up above. As for the new design, "Korean Air and Los Angeles architect A.C. Martin Partners Inc. have yet to settle on a shape for the building," but it will still be "swathed in photovoltaic lights," aka giant flashing "architectural lighting" (some of it commercial)--the lights "will be intense on the lower floors, lighter in the middle and intense again on top." Demo of the old Wilshire Grand is set to start this summer and the new building is scheduled to open in January 2017.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #451
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
Well, here's another article but looks like nothing new.

Curbed LA:
IT's funny that they assume it is shorter based off of it having less floors..

That really means nothing. There is a 300 meter tower that is 40 floors in Riyadh - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Centre
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #452
Jay

What a bogus article, they think that because it has 3 less floors than Library Tower that it can't possibly be higher in feet.

Just look at this quote, it implies that the 70th floor may not even be the top

Quote:
The design is still a work in progress, but guests are expected to be whisked by high-speed elevators to the lobby on the 70th floor, where they will check in. The top floor will also have a restaurant, bar and infinity swimming pool.
Again, I'm not convinced by these articles, whoever thinks floors = height has no place in discussing the skyscraper agenda.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #453
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Okay, well at least were getting some answers.

For those that want an observation deck in LA(me included) this in a way gives us what we want and so much more. instead of just an open floor or roof area with nothing to do, it will be weather protected, and to boot, there will be a restaurant, and bar!! Kinda like our own Windows. according to my calculations the tower should reach 924ft. Math below. Well within the 2 current tallest US BANK 1018, and AON 860. But as has been stated before, no renders, no real way to confirm.

7 retail floors 12ft= 84ft
20 office floors 16ft= 320ft
42 hotel floors 12ft= 504ft
1 lobby floor at the top = 16ft.
total height= 924ft.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:34 PM   #454
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
Okay, well at least were getting some answers.

For those that want an observation deck in LA(me included) this in a way gives us what we want and so much more. instead of just an open floor or roof area with nothing to do, it will be weather protected, and to boot, there will be a restaurant, and bar!! Kinda like our own Windows. according to my calculations the tower should reach 924ft. Math below. Well within the 2 current tallest US BANK 1018, and AON 860. But as has been stated before, no renders, no real way to confirm.

7 retail floors 12ft= 84ft
20 office floors 16ft= 320ft
42 hotel floors 12ft= 504ft
1 lobby floor at the top = 16ft.
total height= 924ft.

Mechanical floors also have a lot of height, plus retail floors are generally bigger than 12 feet, I was going by the old tower floor heights, and if they stay the same the hotel floors will be higher than 12 feet, plus we don't know if there is some sort of roof structure.

They have air rights to 1250 feet, and while they may not build that high, I don't see why they would not build LA's new tallest, it doesn't make sense, anyone would want that name.

Plus 900 hotel rooms in 40 or so floors? that would be a fat building, maybe there are more hotel floors and the article was mistaken, from both of those articles it sounds like they don't know what they're talking about.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #455
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

You are right, the articlaes look kinda weird. And just because the tower has less floors than the US Bank tower doesn't mean anything. Many proposed towers taller than US Bank have far less floors, the king among those being the main tower of the Hudson Yards, which should have only 52 floors despite being far taller than US Bank. Here is the data from SSP I was referring to:

[IMG]http://i48.************/33z467t.png[/IMG]
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #456
Jay

That tower has 68 floors, the diagram is just wrong, the smaller one has 59 floors not 52

But yes, on this website we all know floors do not equal height.

Last edited by Jay; May 23rd, 2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:32 AM   #457
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Lol I've been here 28 years and I know all about let downs.

Last edited by kingsc; May 23rd, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:43 AM   #458
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

i bet the media did all this talk of wilshire grand beig the secind tallest to lure the people in and then a couple months from now they will get another article saying that the designes call for LA's new tallest, its all about publicity and juicy stories with these guys. after all i think wilshire grand will definetely be LA's tallest.
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #459
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I think the title of the thread needs to be changed as the second tower is no longer.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:46 AM   #460
ajs0503

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post

And what do you mean 'downtown hasn't changed much since the 90?' What because we haven't built skyscrapers everywhere? Do you know WHY? Downtown Los Angeles has the largest collection of pre World War 2 buildings in the US. A majority of which are empty. But a lot of them have been converted into lofts, condos, apartments, and office space.]
I know that this was posted several years ago, but I feel it bears refuting. Los Angeles does NOT have "the largest collection of pre World War 2 buildings in the US." That is a fallacy. Are you not taking into account Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago etc?
ajs0503 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower