daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #681
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

I emailed the people at the Wilshire Grand site and the response I received looks like what they told blackcat months ago. Copy & paste?

"Thank you for your inquiry. The project height is approved for 1,250 feet however, we anticipate that our building will be slightly lower than that height. As we progress with our design, we will be able to provide further information on the final height in the near future. We will keep you updated. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions."

Although I can understand them getting many of the same questions, I was actually asking about floor count since Chris Martin said in a PBS interview that the building would have 72 floors...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #682
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
I emailed the people at the Wilshire Grand site and the response I received looks like what they told blackcat months ago. Copy & paste?

"Thank you for your inquiry. The project height is approved for 1,250 feet however, we anticipate that our building will be slightly lower than that height. As we progress with our design, we will be able to provide further information on the final height in the near future. We will keep you updated. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions."

Although I can understand them getting many of the same questions, I was actually asking about floor count since Chris Martin said in a PBS interview that the building would have 72 floors...
That is the exact same e-mail I received. Definitely copy and paste.

blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #683
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
That is the exact same e-mail I received. Definitely copy and paste.
It took them 3 weeks to paste a reply.

Anyway, the Wilshire Grand facebook page has begun a "progress pic of the week". This one was posted today.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #684
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

much more progress since that picture. Almost the entire building is wrapped in tarp and the top few floors have had all the windows removed. They also had a crane working on sunday that removed large equipment from the roof. fun to watch.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:21 AM   #685
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Wilshire Grand Under Wraps

Quote:
DOWNTOWN: The Wilshire Grand is not being fumigated; it's being carefully dismantled, floor by floor, to make way for a new 70-story hotel/office building. A tipster sends in this photo of the shrouded site, which is apparently an asbestos hot bed. Meanwhile, a hotel operator is expected to be announced this month. [Curbed Inbox]
Curbed
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #686
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

From the Wilshire Grand Facebook page:

Quote:
Wilshire Grand will be holding a press conference unveiling the design of the new luxury flagship hotel on Thursday, 2:30pm at the JW Marriott!!!!

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #687
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Awesome!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #688
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
From the Wilshire Grand Facebook page:
Quote:
Wilshire Grand will be holding a press conference unveiling the design of the new luxury flagship hotel on Thursday, 2:30pm at the JW Marriott!!!!

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #689
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

I assume they'll also be releasing the height and hotel operator. I hope so.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #690
soup or man
Avant Garde

1100 feet tall, surpassing Library Tower and becoming the tallest building on the West Coast.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #691
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Soup beat me to it!

blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #692
soup or man
Avant Garde

From DTLArising.com:

Quote:
Los Angeles, feast your eyes on the new finalized rendering of Wilshire Grand Tower from AC Martin that will rise prominently in Downtown LA’s burgeoning Financial District. So prominent, in fact, that the new “billion dollar tower” will surpass LA’s current tallest skyscraper — Library Tower (aka US Bank Tower) at 1,018 feet — as the new tallest on the West Coast (taller than any other structure west of Chicago). At 73 floors and 1,100 feet tall including the spire, which counts toward the building’s official height according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the new Wilshire Grand Tower will be a substantial addition to the LA skyline, reorienting the visual weight currently centered around the Library Tower toward this new gleaming structure to the southwest. The tower will be capped by an iconic sail-shaped architectural feature that will be illuminated with LED lighting at night (a common sight in Asia’s flagship cities like Shanghai).

The Wilshire Grand Tower is being developed through a partnership with the building owner, global shipping giant Hanjin Group, which also owns Korean Air, and one of LA’s most prolific and renowned architectural firms, AC Martin. The new tower will include a yet-to-be-determined 900-room, 4-star hotel (rumors pointed at Le Meridien last year) taking up the upper floors with a unique “sky lobby” on the 70th floor where hotel guests will arrive in less than a minute in “one of the fastest dual high-speed elevators in the world,” according to Chris Martin, CEO of AC Martin. From there, hotel guests through a top-down approach will access their rooms from taking elevators down from the lobby. In addition, the tower will include 400,000 square feet of office space below the hotel floors.

On the ground level, which is where the bulk of people will interact with the structure, there will be 45,000 square feet of commercial retail space that will become a center for fine dining and luxury retailers. Also located directly across the street from LA’s busiest subway station, 7th/Metro, a “pedestrian friendly, beautifully landscaped plaza [will] provide open space and promote community among hotel guests, business owners, downtown residents and civic leaders,” according to the Wilshire Grand website.

The biggest game changing feature of all about The Wilshire Grand Tower will be the absence of the “traditional” helipad seen on all modern high-rises in Los Angeles. (There is still a smaller inconspicuous helipad on the “sail” that will allow a helicopter to land in emergencies.) Because of a fire building code (titled the “Emergency Helicopter Landing Facility“), all modern high-rises in Los Angeles built after 1974 have flat roofs, which have given LA its uniform “stumpy skyline” without defining landmark towers seen so commonly in major cities around the world. The Wilshire Grand Tower will set a new precedent as it will have a sail-shaped roof line accentuated with a architectural spire.

How was this done? The change was allowed by the LA Fire Department due to new advances in building technology involving the structure’s elevator shafts to be reinforced within a concrete core, which actually elevates the fire safety standard making the building even safer in emergency situations.

Last October, city officials gathered in front of the vacated Wilshire Grand Hotel at 7th and Figueroa for a press event to kick-off the start of demolition work to dismantle the hotel down floor-by-floor — a year-long process slated for completion this fall. Anyone walking by the Wilshire Grand Hotel recently has seen green tarp covering many portions of the building as construction crews are actively taking apart the 15-story hotel.

Completion for the Wilshire Grand Tower is slated for March 2017.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #693
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

So great, and nice that it LA finally gets a tower without a flat roof.
But it says: ''taller than any other stucture west of Chicago.'', what about the Stratosphere tower, which is 1149 feet.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #694
spectre000

That spire is a little lame. But overall still a great looking building. And a new tallest building for the city is always a good thing.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #695
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Those outdoor pools on the setback are awesome too.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #696
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
That spire is a little lame. But overall still a great looking building. And a new tallest building for the city is always a good thing.
I think the spire adds to the building. Plus LA needs a spired building and this is a worthy one.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #697
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Woohoo.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #698
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

i think the design would go well without a spire, but with a spire it is maybe even a bit better.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #699
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
I think the spire adds to the building. Plus LA needs a spired building and this is a worthy one.
I like spires. When there's something to them. This one is too skinny. A thicker more pronounced spire like the one the ACC would've had, look much better IMO. But I do agree LA needs some spires.

Highcliff liked this post
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #700
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Rendering of the sky lobby (70th floor).

DTLArising.com

Last edited by PinkFloyd; February 7th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower