daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #841
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Blech, LA is home to some truly awful 80's architecture.

A city like it really ought to have a lot more of what this new tower brings.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #842
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post

Not all 80's/90's architecture is bad. One of my favorite buildings is Two Prudential Plaza, built in 1990.

But I suppose this is a bit off topic.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #843
aquaticko

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
Not all 80's/90's architecture is bad. One of my favorite buildings is Two Prudential Plaza, built in 1990.

Oh, I know, hence the qualifier "awful" 80's architecture; supposed I might've phrased that differently .

Sidenote: I do think it's funny just how sensitive we can be about things being OT, particularly considering that there's only so much that can be said about a building before it starts construction.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #844
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Great news. I must admit though that the design is underwhelming.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #845
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

It indeed isn't big, like some of the big boxes on BH, but for being the tallest I think it's good to be this slender.

Quote:

I hope you mean the lowrise, because the highrise is great.

Highcliff liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #846
aquaticko

I do. For a city with the reputation and climate that LA has, having these heavy and stale looking buildings, which look like they've taken the only the least interesting elements of early modern and art deco architecture, makes no sense to me.

Granted, I've never actually been to the city, but when I think of Los Angeles, I think of sunshine, a breezy yet brash personality, and the relentless pursuit of what's "fresh". It's not the kind of city I think I'd enjoy, but I do see the appeal.

Anyway, all that is why the Wilshire Grand seems like the perfect sort of tower for LA.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #847
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

https://www.facebook.com/WilshireGrandCenter
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #848
Kenni
What?

Quote:
I do. For a city with the reputation and climate that LA has, having these heavy and stale looking buildings, which look like they've taken the only the least interesting elements of early modern and art deco architecture, makes no sense to me.

Granted, I've never actually been to the city, but when I think of Los Angeles, I think of sunshine, a breezy yet brash personality, and the relentless pursuit of what's "fresh". It's not the kind of city I think I'd enjoy, but I do see the appeal.

Anyway, all that is why the Wilshire Grand seems like the perfect sort of tower for LA.
It is partly due to the fact that City regulations require that all skyscrapers have a helipad on top and all the safety features that entails, no ifs or buts. This, to facilitate the rescue of its occupants in case of an emergency, fire etc.

That is why LA lacks buildings with spires or other sleek designs. It hasn't been til recently that modern design ventures have married the two, the Ritz Carlton was a good breakthrough, and the Wilshire Grand is going to hit it out of the park and set a precedence for the future.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #849
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post

It all really depends on location. I take the area and its history into account on whether I "like" a building. Chicago is more historical, therefore postmodernism fits well. Los Angeles' history is based on cinema and sprawl, so bombastic Art Deco buildings and conservative International Style office towers are more appropriate.

Too bad Mies never built any megaprojects in Los Angeles. The Federal Center in Chicago would have fit well in the historical Broadway/Spring Street area, and would have acted as a catalyst for the area to compete with other centers like the Wilshire corridor and Westwood. It might have even saved Bunker Hill from the whole "slum clearance" era, but likely not the streetcars.

On a more on-topic note, I "don't like" the base according to the render.

Last edited by RegentHouse; May 15th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:17 AM   #850
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:

http://you-are-here.com/

-this guy has a comprehensive photo database of LA architecture

On the grand scale of things, LA is let down because of its developer/profit/market-led urban planning, not its actual architecture. And well, DTLA is already miles ahead of places like Warner Center or Irvine, etc. Sadly these development patterns are becoming common throughout other areas too.

In my (utterly subjective) opinion, DTLA is actually quite pleasant from an architectural POV. Figueroa (the development is located there), Flower, and Grand have that 80s po-mo/Dallas/Houston/Atlanta look, but the older streets to the east (Olive, Broadway, Spring) look like Manhattan or Chicago.

Interestingly, commercials/tv shows/low budget movies are filmed in DTLA all the time, often subbing in for New York or Chicago. The architecture has similarities, but the ficus trees and street signs are always a giveaway.

Kenni, Calvin Coolidge liked this post
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #851
Kenni
What?

Many a times, have I seen filming in DT where they have cars parked with NY plates, street signs replaced, some to say "Snow Plow...don't park" etc.

What you say is true, there are some sight views of DT that you might as well be in NY or CH. Looking down 8th to the west and Figueroa around the ex-Arco Plaza for example, then there are the old areas of DT with classic buildings mimicking 40's-50's NY at street view.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #852
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Made by unanimity on SSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Look what I found! When I say found, i mean made.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #853
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

It's ok, definitely a good edition.

Excuse my ignorance but when does it start construction again?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #854
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Demolition of the current building (above street-level) should wrap up in a few weeks, with excavation/demolition of the subterranean infrastructure beginning right after.

Based on on the latest info from Downtown News, work on the new building should begin in December.
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #855
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Taken today.

PinkFloyd, iamtheSTIG, Kirgam liked this post
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #856
RegentHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
Based on on the latest info from Downtown News, work on the new building should begin in December.
I doubt there will be any visible apparent progress until the December after, considering they have to dig a hole and start building from the bottom until the tower rises.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #857
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I doubt there will be any visible apparent progress until the December after, considering they have to dig a hole and start building from the bottom until the tower rises.
They've already begun digging. A foreman at the site told LosAngelesSportsFan that they should be done with demolition and footings by September.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Kenni, Kirgam liked this post
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #858
RegentHouse

They're digging a "bathtub" before they even demolished the former structure's existing underground portion?
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM   #859
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Wow - just wow

I love the design and facade... a great addition to the skyline. I hope there are more like this in the pike...

Kanto liked this post
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #860
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Some pictures I took today.

From some angles on Francisco Street, it's hard to tell that part of the old building is still there.

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower