daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #861
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Nice! It's almost gone.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #862
jgacis
Globalizing LA

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Some pictures I took today.

From some angles on Francisco Street, it's hard to tell that part of the old building is still there.
Thanks for the pic updates blackcat23. Great progress!

Can't wait for the cranes to be set-up...

We shape our buildings, and afterwards our buildings shape us. - Winston Churchill
jgacis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #863
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

So judging from the renders I'd say this thing is 984 feet (300 meters) to the helipad, so I guess it is technically a supertall.

A taller building for LA would be nice though, hopefully someday
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #864
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

LA doesn't need a taller building...
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #865
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
So judging from the renders I'd say this thing is 984 feet (300 meters) to the helipad, so I guess it is technically a supertall.

A taller building for LA would be nice though, hopefully someday
Add the Spire and it's a whopping 1,100 feet, and you can't deny such. I foresee a big debate on what the real West Coast tallest will be, the Transbay or the Wilshire Grand. The spire will cause much debate.
Old June 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #866
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Guess I haven't checked in on this one in quite a while. lol

The original version just wasn't interesting to me in any way. This current version is nice, and I agree it shall be a good addition to the city core.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #867
Kelbeen
Kelvin Cheng

Likes (Received): 1274

LA really needs this. The Wilshire Grand will be the greatest addition to Downtown. This glass-skin skyscraper is a huge contrast to the surrounding postmodern architecture, and it will definitely stand out. I always imagine that it's shaped like a wave or tsunami going towards the US Bank Tower (the light house), like how the Gas Company Tower is like a ship "sailing" towers the light house. The curved crown and spire are the biggest game changers in LA's skyline. With the Macy's Plaza renovation and having retails fill up [email protected] by the completion of this building, the retails coming into this building's plaza will be trendy or high-end and it will serve a huge "ripple effect" of great retails on this specific area. Downtown being "the place to go shopping" may come sooner than expected by many people. Who expected Urban Outfitters or Zara to come so soon? And who knows what other retails are coming in the future? The adjacent subway station is already the busiest Metro station, yet it will only be more crowded. The observatory itself and street scene will be a major tourist draw for Downtown in 2017. If I recall, I think the proposed LA streetcar will have a station in 7th street? I am highly optimistic for the future of this specific area of Downtown as it is reaching for it's full potential.

Imagine viewing down 7th street from the observation deck, or driving down this road and having the Wilshire Grand Tower rise beyond this image.

image hosted on flickr
7th Street by Kelbeen, on Flickr
Old June 7th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #868
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

love your enthusiasm and i agree 100000%
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #869
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Someone who knows how to embed might want to do this, but this video from a USC speaker series on revitalizing downtown is super informative about this project (starting around the 17 minute mark).

I don't think I've read before how they pulled off getting rid of the helipad: by building a "full firemen's elevator in concrete that goes from 5 levels underground to the 73rd floor."

Still watching right now, but I'll post other cool tidbits if I find them.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #870
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Here ya go. If you want to post a Youtube video, just take the leters that are after v= and put them into (youtube) and (/youtube), but with ] and [ instead of ) and (

jgacis, Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #871
MarshallKnight

From the above video:

Quote:
Chris Martin: "In mid-December, we're pouring a foundation that is essentially the size of a football field, 20 feet thick... a continuous 3-day pour, don't come down Figueroa the 17th of December... while 2700 trucks bring in the concrete for the foundation."
Also, this has maybe been covered, but I didn't realize that the 70th floor was going to be the lobby of the hotel. The way he describes it, of stepping out into the lobby with the city in front of and below you, sounds awesome.

And it's funny that Martin, the architect and project manager, argues that it will be the second-tallest in LA. He doesn't count the spire in the final height, but the moderator is quick to try and spin it that, well, skyscraper nuts do count the spire, not the antenna, yadda yadda. So even these guys can't steer clear of the debate.

Kanto liked this post
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #872
jess2012rocha

Likes (Received): 2

Well weather y'all like it or not it happening! I like n love the building but dont agreed of it size it should've been 1,250ft like the first project was ment to be we don't want L.A to be just a big city wit a little amount of skyscrapers that hasn't change for the longest of yrs but after this project is done I'm sure huge important people like (Korean Air) or any other billion air tycoon will want build bigger projects to be build n make L.A HUGE!!!!
jess2012rocha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #873
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

And it's funny that Martin, the architect and project manager, argues that it will be the second-tallest in LA. He doesn't count the spire in the final height, but the moderator is quick to try and spin it that, well, skyscraper nuts do count the spire, not the antenna, yadda yadda. So even these guys can't steer clear of the debate.
I think Martin makes it clear that the spire was added for aesthetic reasons, not to "cheat" on height like some have whined about. Even on the site, it reads "Los Angeles’ second tallest building". He measures up to the highest occupiable floor (as he says in the video) for the ranking.

I assume the moderator goes by CTBUH rules.
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #874
immunology

Likes (Received): 11

There is a lot of construction in LA. In just my drive to USC every morning I see a ton of cranes downtown. It's awesome. I don't remember seeing that in SF.

My only concern about the Wilshire Grand is that the guy says the top glass portion will be chock full of LEDs for "moving artwork/advertisements." I'm all for LED lights like Shanghai skyscrapers, but I really hope it's not actually ads.

Last edited by immunology; June 7th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
immunology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #875
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
I think Martin makes it clear that the spire was added for aesthetic reasons, not to "cheat" on height like some have whined about. Even on the site, it reads "Los Angeles’ second tallest building". He measures up to the highest occupiable floor (as he says in the video) for the ranking.

In that case it's even more silly he didn't just bump it up a few feet to make it LA's tallest.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #876
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post

really doesnt matter how they measure height since it will be 1,100 ft making it the west coast's tallest tower. (says so in the 24th minute mark).
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #877
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597Jorge View Post
really doesnt matter how they measure height since it will be 1,100 ft making it the west coast's tallest tower. (says so in the 24th minute mark).
I understand that, I watched the whole video. The guy who said that counts the spire in the ranking. But I personally don't care anymore on the ranking or how it's measured, to be honest. So this is the last time I will comment on it...
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #878
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

In light of the point that Kenny just made, this link is pretty relevant:

http://www.planetizen.com/node/23535

Back To The Future: The 1970 Los Angeles 'Centers' Concept Plan

Quote:
...by the 1960s, Los Angeles was starting to reach the limits of its original planning. With cheap land in increasingly short supply, freeways clogged with growing numbers of commuters, and smog becoming a major problem – urban planners realized they had a problem on their hands. If the city was going to try to preserve the region's high quality of life, growth could no longer be business as usual.

So, under the supervision of then-Planning Director Calvin Hamilton, the city's planners set about developing a concept plan to deal with the city's future growth. In 1970, after years of research and development, the city released "Concept Los Angeles: The Concept for the Los Angeles General Plan".

Know as the "centers concept", the main idea was bold and simple: concentrate high density development in a few established activity centers, connect these areas with rapid transit, and leave low-density areas alone.
The rapid transit build out has lagged behind a bit, although that is being rectified. Still, this is what happened for the most part. Probably a dozen or so high rise clusters scattered throughout the region.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #879
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

3 more supertalls, and LA skyline will look amazing
Nikonov_Ivan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #880
MarshallKnight

And none of those pictures even included the Hollywood cluster. But I agree that LA can't really be viewed as having a "traditional" skyline. And yet I've come to appreciate how the different groups of towers help signpost different parts of the city. Century City/Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Westwood, Downtown, Burbank, Glendale, are all easily identified when you look out over what's a mostly flat expanse. And there's something pretty cool about flying between downtown towers on the 110.

There are a lot of factors standing in the way of more height, not least of which is the lack of transportation infrastructure necessary to support increased density. Once the first round of new train lines is finished, and a few of the other transport changes are made (the rapid bus lanes on Wilshire for example), it will be more feasible to build higher density.

Plus, height isn't in demand. LA doesn't benefit from the superluxury boom like New York does, because the LA super rich don't want to live atop towers, they want to live in the hills or on the beach. As for businesses, aside from a couple financial firms, the biggest employers in LA are the universities, studios and medical... not the biggest occupiers of highrise space.

AND there's basically nowhere in the city that you can build tall without casting shadows on hundreds of single-family homes. So there's that.

Downtown is our best hope, and it seems like the Wilshire Grand is the start of a wave. I expect the next decade to see a lot of change in downtown, which is shedding a lot of its stigma and becoming a "cool" place to live. And as that happens, that particular part of our skyline will really start to fill out. Just probably not with supertalls.

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower