daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #81
Kenni
What?

Some more views,.................

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #82
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Dang, I love that base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I believe that that maximum height is what the designer/architect has to work with, meaning yes, thats the maximum possible height, as you said. I hope they don't reduce it.

Los Angeles has a peculiar ordinance that ALL highrises/skyscrapers MUST have a Helipad for emergency evacuations (I suspect it has something to do with the AON Building fire in the '80's).

Therefore, LA lacks edifices with spires and ornate spikes and so forth. Most all are flat topped and boring, till the US Bank Building (Library Tower) came and gave us that wonderful crown. The US Bank Tower measure 1018' I believe, so this new one will surpass it by quite a bit.
Thanks, Kenni. I absolutely agree- the higher, the better!

I think you're right about the LA Helipad Ordinance being the result of the First Interstate Tower fire, but I think it may also have to do with earthquakes, too. I've never seen any really definite info about the ordinance, but I believe it's meant as a general escape alternative to the elevators, whether they're burning, blocked, or otherwise disabled by whatever nature throws at LA. I do know that the fire prompted fire-sprinkler requirements, though (from the article I linked to).

But I also think that the helipad ordinance is less responsible for LA's flat-roofedness than the earthquakes are. I think that LA lacks the graceful spires of New York and other eastern cities because of the older zoning codes that didn't even allow skyscrapers until the late 1960's, when engineers got really good at accommodating seismic stresses, but fashionable architecture meant a modernist box. Most of the spired towers back east, as you know, were built in the 1910's through the 30's, long before helicopters were a consideration.

...If you look at some low-rise LA icons from that era, like Bullocks Wilshire, the Eastern Columbia Building, the Texaco Building, the late and sorely missed Richfield Tower, and of course, City Hall, spires and other decoratve crowns do abound. We just couldn't risk building them very tall yet. Of course, by the time postmodernism made spires popular again in the 80's, the helipads were there for spires to obstruct. Library Tower's crown is a glorious compromise, though. (I hate calling it US Bank Tower! )

I think that this Wilshire Grand redevelopment project will go a long way toward rectifying the situation. If any city was ever meant to be a city of spires, it is the City of Angels!

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; August 19th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #83
Kenni
What?

Everything you said is absolutely true. The "boxie" design was the "It" thing in the 60's and early 70's when LA lifted the ban on skyscrapers.

Let's hope this proyect gets going soon, as I said before, this building will probably awaken the era of daring designs in LA.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #84
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I don't see the big deal about the LED sinage. If done correctly (and not used each and every single night), it could be a tourist destination in it's own right.

It couldn't be any less 'garish' than the Symphony of Lights that happens EVERY NIGHT in Hong Kong.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:59 AM   #85
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Beautiful building. I can't wait to see it rise!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM   #86
Calsonic

Likes (Received): 5

I love the Symphony of Lights. It actually doesn't look good on video, but if you are there in person, it looks amazing. HK's colorful skyline is perfect.
This project will closely resemble the Aurora building
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxeod...eature=related

Last edited by Calsonic; August 21st, 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Calsonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #87
Kenni
What?

More on the subjetc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiholmes View Post
Holy Tokyo, Downtown! Wilshire Grand Hotel Project Could Go Electric

In a move that would dramatically change the downtown skyline, the developers of the proposed AC Martin-designed Wilshire Grand project are asking for the creation of a new sign district in the Financial District, one that would ultimately allow them to swath large parts of their two towers in LA Live-like electronic advertising. Think: Scrolling, blinking and animated images emitting off a 65-story tower and a 45-story tower. Not only would this style of digital advertising on two tall towers be unprecedented in LA, but it would also essentially extend the path of LA Live, bringing the buzz-y style that defines that district towards the Financial District. So what to think? On the one hand, it's a scenario of oooh, Tokyo-style animated fun, electronic art lighting up the sky. On the other hand, it's a scenario of giant digital Charmin ads blinking down at drivers stuck in traffic on the 101 Freeway.

It's a digital ad world. Everything to know about this proposal.>>>
Last year, Hanjin International Corporation and Thomas Partners announced their plans to knock down the aging Wilshire Grand hotel. According to the recently published draft EIR for the project, the new Wilshire Grand (no name yet) will offer 560 hotel rooms or condo-hotel rooms, and 1.5 million square of office space in two towers, all in a 65-story tower building and a 45-story tower building.

Renderings show examples of what this project would look like both with and without digital signs. (Billboards and supergraphics are banned in this section of the city.) From a logistical point of view, the lights would be affixed on sections below each window. Each section of the building would allow for different types of electronic signage (be it animated or scolling, for example). In some ways, the proposal is similar in style to Sonny Astani's proposed "Blade Runner" wall he wanted to create for his first Concerto project (though this looks to be far more comprehensive in terms of pure signage area).

And here's the definition of what type of signage could be included, per the EIR. "...large-scale animated and static signs designed to convey a business, product, service, profession, commodity, activity, event, person, institution, brand, or any other commercial or noncommercial message, including Changeable Copy Signs (to be utilized for a scrolling news ribbon) and Integral Electronic Display Signs. Architectural lighting could also comprise any part of the signage program."

And the draft EIR acknowledges the radical way the signage would transform this neighborhood. From the report: "These elements would change the existing character of the area, creating a significant impact. Therefore, it is conservatively concluded that the change in visual character would be substantial and impacts associated with signage would be significant."

The draft EIR lists alternatives, ranging from no signage to limiting signage to only 150 feet up the buildings, for example.

So how will the city react? As for the requested sign district, creating new sign districts is never simple, according to Dennis Hathaway, president of the Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight. One of the problems the Planning Department has faced is when sign districts are created for single development, says Hathaway. "The Planning Department and members of the Planing Commission have said that they want to make sure to tighten up sign district provisions so sign districts wouldn't be created for a single project. This is completely antithetical [to that notion]." With the creation of this new sign district, another developer in the area could request the same type of signage for his or her own building.

In regards to specific questions about the project, Thomas Properties Group issued the following statement: "TPG has submitted a request for a Supplemental Use District for the Wilshire Grand project. An SUD allows the city to approve a comprehensive signage program for a particular geographic area. The TPG proposal includes way finding, tenant and building identification signage as well as advertising signage, though it specifically prohibits super graphics. The program is fully described in the project description section of the DEIR."

Construction on the Wilshire Grand project is anticipated to commence in 2011, with full occupancy to occur by 2020, according to the report. Two days ago, the Downtown News reported the developer is seeking a tax break for this project.

Last edited by Kenni; August 25th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #88
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

I want the lights, just because it sounds insanely cool. LA's (potential) new tallest building ought to be an absolutely iconic spectacle of glory! It should be amazingly irrational, but utterly fantastic. Just like the city itself.
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #89
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I don't like the idea of those digital "screens"..This is tower, not giant tv or shit like that...It's cool if there will be cool lights like on the US Bank Tower's crown but I don't like the idea of showin' "a business, product, service, profession, commodity, activity, event, person, institution, brand, or any other commercial or noncommercial message"...

I think it's not cool drivin' down the 101 Freeway and when you look up to see a great downtown skyline, you see "new condoms now available in the stores" blinkin' on the tower...Or shit like that...

If they keep doin' this for a few years we'll be watchin' movies on the buildings..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #90
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

How about this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tplx2CIuHfc
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #91
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
I want the lights, just because it sounds insanely cool. LA's (potential) new tallest building ought to be an absolutely iconic spectacle of glory! It should be amazingly irrational, but utterly fantastic. Just like the city itself.
I wasn't sold on the idea, but now that I think of it, maybe it can work.
It's the future!

I wonder what people thought of the first electric traffic light? hmm.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #92
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10278

Glad that Los Angeles is getting a new building but Im not convinced of the design. It just seems that the design of instead of having a tall flat rectangle, you have a tall flat rectangle with a triangle thing taken out is kinda dull and boring. Im not really sure if you guys even understand what im really saying, it just doesn't look unique anymore. Oh,well maybe im just focusing on the minutea of the design rather than the height.

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #93
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I don't like the idea of those digital "screens"..
If they keep doin' this for a few years we'll be watchin' movies on the buildings..
You mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm9yb1w7-Lc
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #94
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I love the digital screens on buildings in Times Square. But this is not being built in Times Square.

I like 7WTC's digital screen on the lower floors. That's slick looking. Although its right in your face at street level, it doesn't foul up the skyline with advertisements.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #95
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

What better place than LA to have films plying on the walls of a skyscraper?
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #96
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Yes! Like spectre000 said, it's cool when it's on the ground level...But I wouldn't like if would be up like it's proposed for those towers...The skyline wouldn't be the same...LA has amazing views of the city and skyline from the hills..This screens would ruin the view...

Old August 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #97
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
if i knew that before i would have went suntec city at night. damn missed it

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #98
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM   #99
hadeer992

it's nice development, but it could be built on one of the many parking lots in downtown Los Angeles instead of demolition of an existing building
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:17 AM   #100
DinoVabec
Worldwide

This one and Ritz-Carlton changin' the picture of LA that most of us have in our heads..

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower