daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #141
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

Point One just as easily describes Tokyo, yet Tokyo's CBD is far more developed than LA's in terms of buildings above 150m.

Point Two describes not only Tokyo but also pretty much every major city in China, yet again they are far more developed in terms of buildings above 150m. It also describes much of London, which has multi-family homes stretching far into the suburbs.

To add my own point, I don't quite understand why people here so vigorously want to defend LA against the accusation that for a city its size it has a tiny skyline by straying far off topic. There's simply no denying it in any way, and most people I know who are from LA do not try to deny it at all. A project like this one is overdue, because quite frankly, a city its size, where as much business is conducted as there is conducted in LA, should have a decent CBD.

Last edited by droneriot; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #142
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Tokyo has what...12 million people in it? LA has 4 million. Of course Tokyo is taller than LA.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM   #143
darkie_one

Likes (Received): 1818

Los Angeles is a big village. That's it.
darkie_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM   #144
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Tokyo has what...12 million people in it? LA has 4 million. Of course Tokyo is taller than LA.
Uh...well it doesn't work like that and (actually) L.A. is taller than Tokyo (for a little while longer anyway) if you don't consider monuments or transmission towers of one form or another .
Tokyo is actually the biggest city on Earth . By a certain logic , it should follow that Tokyo also has the greatest skyline on Earth . It's really about economics and for both Tokyo and L.A. actually , seismic considerations.

Anyway , the point of this is to simply point out that the size of the city has virtually no bearing whatsoever on how tall (or even densely) its skyline ends up being . The greatest example of this today would be Dubai . Tallest buildings on the planet and about the same size as Las Vegas . Of course , of that population , most people are foreign nationals which , in a way , makes Dubai considerably smaller even than most people realize . If the economy tanked across the globe (a global depression) Dubai would probably be cut in half within a couple of years . Eventually it might recover but it's impossible to say . But that's the point ... the economics of Dubai only work because it has money to throw away . Some of that money that gets "thrown away" ends up funding dream projects that are designed to make economic sense years from now . It's a giant risk ... not a sound economic investment from a conventional standpoint . It's working but it's also very fragile .

L.A. has a much more mature economy and a plurality of developers competing with each other . That means that there is no single pool of money under the control of just one person who can funnel it all into dream projects . It gets left up to the individual developers and they dream on a much smaller scale than the government Dubai . For them , every project has to make a return in a much shorter period of time than what Dubai is banking on . That , basically , makes super towers unlikely .
Spocket está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:23 PM   #145
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_from_zw038 View Post
You first say this:

and than back it up with these pictures as an example to back up your story?.....rofl

the only one we could consider a 'skyline' is this one:

So, once again, LA has a good looking, but relatively small downtown skyline, wich is growing very slow, either so when you don't compare it with other big cities.
Unlike New York or Chicago, LA developed various building centers, so if you're looking for a concentrated Downtown, LA isn't it. Downtown LA still is the "main" one, but you'd have to consider LA's nature.

Just the Wilshire Corridor has enough buildings to rival any other mid-city.

Century City, was developed as a "Downtown West" for folks living in the westside. And yes, it is still LA City.

image hosted on flickr

Century City with Downtown LA in the backround.

Wilshire Blvd Corridor.

Looking West...

I guess if we combined all of these centers it would be a formidable downtown, but for now, yes, LA's Downtown has some growing to do. We didn't get going till the mid 60's, others have had a lifetime to develope their downtowns.

Last edited by Kenni; December 25th, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #146
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

To clarify my point, droneriot, I didn't mean to suggest that LA's skyline is not smaller than equivalently sized cities, nor that it ought to be. I think LA ought to have tens of thousands of high-rises, so we can keep some of that increasingly rare open space out here in the Inland Empire. Anytime I see a skyscraper proposal of any sort, anywhere in Southern California, I'm happy. Also, people tend to forget that there is still a considerable amount of office and residential space (old though it may be) in the low-rise Historic Core, and the fact that LA already has the largest concentration of government buildings in the US outside of DC, in its civic center. I suspect that these factors make new skyscrapers somewhat less necessary. I do think that replacing this aging hotel with a pair of far more voluminous and technologically advanced high-rises is a nice idea all around, regardless of what we think of the design.

(Also, I did think about Tokyo... I suspect that its bigger skyline can probably be explained by historic cultural and economic differences between the US and Japan over the last 50 years, plus, Tokyo's more advanced mass transit system and its higher degree of decentralization probably just make skyscrapers more economically feasible in more parts of the city.)

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; December 24th, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #147
Clone

Likes (Received): 35

The best part of the LA skyline is it size. Compact and beautiful, please don't change, Oh wonderful skyline.
Clone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #148
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Is this is a serious proposal? If so I cant wait!

I think we all remember the San Fransisco Transbay Area Towers? Lets not have this one go that route
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #149
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

^It is, and amen.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM   #150
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

http://www.wilshiresquare.com/

Here is the new website for the project...
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #151
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

From SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Here are a couple of pics I found from the meeting that took place on the Wilshire Grand project. The model really shows the soaring height of the towers and how much they will impact the skyline. Its more accurate of the height of the towers than the previously seen models. One weird part, it looks like the helipad on the roof is perched on some kind of narrow pylon that overhangs the side of the tower. Different.

Old January 31st, 2011, 04:15 AM   #152
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Man, that tower is going to be massive in so many ways. i cant wait.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM   #153
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Is there some kind of boom in LA, I don't know about?

Wait I forget. how far are the two skylines?
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #154
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Is there some kind of boom in LA, I don't know about?

Wait I forget. how far are the two skylines?

There are so many things you don't know about King!
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM   #155
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

No there's not to much, I don't know about. So I guest there isn't any boom to bad.
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM   #156
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

this is not the kind of project that will revive downtown LA. Unless the base creates all kinds of sunny, sheltered spaces for people hang out in and drink and shop and live, then it will just add to the deathliness of downtown LA. This will look ace from far away. or from a helicopter, but at the human scale, its just going to be horrible.
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM   #157
steppenwolf

I just love how the renders show thousands of happy people hanging out in the landscaping at the bottom of the tower, drinking lattes and buying flowers.... its gonna be windy and dark down there, next to a road... who in their right mind is going to want to sit there. I hate renders
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM   #158
steppenwolf

http://gehlarchitects.wordpress.com/...n-los-angeles/

http://gehlarchitects.wordpress.com/...ing-in-london/
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM   #159
dutchsnookerfan

Likes (Received): 9

Its talle then US bank tower i think so the spire isnt that tall.
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #160
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

A spire, and a helipad? Bad combo.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower