daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1681
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Ugh, please, no more antennaes for NYC. I will be satisfied with all spire-less buildings in the Hudson Yards.
Lol. I hear you. I kind of feel the same way after the Nordstrom and 1 Vanderbilt. After that no more.

As for this tower, I'm extremely excited about this one.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #1682
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

What's with everyone's disdain for spires in SSC? I dont think this would look good in Hudson Yards, but not because of its spire. I'm new here so please fill me in, I really don't get it.

NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #1683
Vertical_Gotham

Nothing wrong with them but if you have too many...I wouldn't want the skyline to eventually look like this.

image hosted on flickr

Old November 6th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #1684
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Nothing wrong with them but if you have too many...I wouldn't want the skyline to eventually look like this.

image hosted on flickr
Well not every building needs to have a spire. I don't see too many buildings where I think the spire makes it look bad, and for some buildings, I actually think the building would be incomplete without it. I just dont get the hate

Old November 6th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #1685
Vertical_Gotham

I actually think IMO a spired tower would be nice for the Yards for the sake of variety.

Old November 6th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #1686
NatFan9

I agree on that, but not this type of building. The Wilshire Grand seems to me like the type of building that should be the centerpiece or at least an integral part of a skyline, but Manhattan is far too built up to afford it that luxury.

Last edited by NatFan9; November 6th, 2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #1687
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This building needs its spire without a doubt.

NatFan9, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1688
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
And what's stopping you from doing it, Mr. 10064, hmm?? j/k.

From the Wilshire Grand Center website. PDF version.
Looking at this, the "flat side" isn't actually "flat", it has a slight curve, very nice.

I love the open-end plaza, very inviting.

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1689
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
What's with everyone's disdain for spires in SSC? I dont think this would look good in Hudson Yards, but not because of its spire. I'm new here so please fill me in, I really don't get it.
There is also a veiw shared by many of us that the spires are only there for the developers to cheat the building height. They'll tell you this building is to be 1100 feet but how high is the actual usable building? far less than that.

Like WTC 1 in NYC being 1,776 feet. No its not! Its a 1,300 odd foot building with an antennae on top.

Ot Bof A in NYC being how ever tall they say it is. No its not!

Its nitpicking for certain but this is a sky scraper site and there are those here with strong opinions on this. I'd like to see two heights stated on these projects. A building hieght to the useable roof, and a structure height to the little red light on the top. IM worthless opinion, its more honest.

YMMV of course.

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1690

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
There is also a veiw shared by many of us that the spires are only there for the developers to cheat the building height. They'll tell you this building is to be 1100 feet but how high is the actual usable building? far less than that.

Like WTC 1 in NYC being 1,776 feet. No its not! Its a 1,300 odd foot building with an antennae on top.

Its nitpicking for certain but this is a sky scraper site and there are those here with strong opinions on this. I'd like to see two heights stated on these projects. A building hieght to the useable roof, and a structure height to the little red light on the top. IM worthless opinion, its more honest.

YMMV of course.
If they changed the rules and went with useable roof or top floor. That would lower the BKs height. The future kingdom tower will have over 300m of elevation gain due to non useable space.

NatFan9, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
10064 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1691
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Cheating height is definitely at the heart of the issue, but with NYC in particular, there is a growing sea of spires in Midtown Manhattan (ESB, Chrysler, NYT, 4 Times Square, BofA, and in the next few years, One Vanderbilt and Nordstrom). I like a few spires, but tend to agree that seven in a single chunk of skyline is probably too many. You don't want every peak in your skyline to be a needle or it'll get monotonous. Still, it's a very different story in LA. Since we've never been allowed a spire here, the chance to shake up the even worse monotony of flat roofs is incredibly exciting.

PinkFloyd, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1692
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Cheating height is definitely at the heart of the issue, but with NYC in particular, there is a growing sea of spires in Midtown Manhattan (ESB, Chrysler, NYT, 4 Times Square, BofA, and in the next few years, One Vanderbilt and Nordstrom). I like a few spires, but tend to agree that seven in a single chunk of skyline is probably too many. You don't want every peak in your skyline to be a needle or it'll get monotonous. Still, it's a very different story in LA. Since we've never been allowed a spire here, the chance to shake up the even worse monotony of flat roofs is incredibly exciting.
Except for Nordstrom, all the other behemoths won't have a spire (1 Vandy is years aways and its design calls for a nice spire). In fact, residential buildings in New York usually don't have a spire. Give it a few years and you'll start noticing all the flat roofs and / or crowns. Also, in a few years, New York will become the city with most towers over 400m to the roof.

As for LA and this tower in particular, a few spires would do wonders for the skyline. Variety ist the key.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1693
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post

YMMV of course.
I guess part of it is that I don't care about a building's height in exact measurements. If a building's tall its tall, to me its more about how it looks compared to its surroundings. Since I'm not nitpicky with height, I look at the spire for how it adds to the building's overall look rather than as a method for cheating height. BofA might be the only spire I dont like for its design value.

HRP4Life, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #1694

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Except for Nordstrom, all the other behemoths won't have a spire (1 Vandy is years aways and its design calls for a nice spire). In fact, residential buildings in New York usually don't have a spire. Give it a few years and you'll start noticing all the flat roofs and / or crowns. Also, in a few years, New York will become the city with most towers over 400m to the roof.

As for LA and this tower in particular, a few spires would do wonders for the skyline. Variety ist the key.
I totally agree. LA needs a tallest without a flat roof for a change.

Mplsuptown, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
10064 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1695
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

I'm not against this building having a spire, but I would prefer for it to be a little more integrated into the design.
The only thing that I am really against is an antennae tacked on top of a flat roof, like the WTC in NYC.

Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1696
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Looking at this, the "flat side" isn't actually "flat", it has a slight curve, very nice.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I just wanted to clear up the "flat side" issue. You're right that it isn't completely flat, but if you look closely at the render, most of the side will be flat. If you look behind the small building blocking the bottom of WG, you can see an exposed part of the slightly curved section of WG that ends to the left of the last floor of the small building. Unfortunately, the upper two thirds of the building will be flat. (You can see part of the flat side (the right side of the "flat side") in the diagram)

[IMG]http://i62.************/28ip7gg.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1697
Kenni
What?

Very interesting article in the LA Times.

The evolution of building design
There are many ways to hold up a tall building. Over the last 100 years, structural styles have come and gone, depending on the availability of materials and the building's needs. While Los Angeles may not be known for its high-rise culture, the city has a diversity of styles.

Just 33 feet wide at its narrowest, the concrete core of the New Wilshire Grand, at the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Figueroa Street, will provide crucial support for the 1,100-foot-tall hotel and office building.

Outriggers
The concrete core is supported with a series of structural elements known as outriggers. These braces form giant triangles extending from the core to the exterior columns.

Physics 101
For every force in nature, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the design of skyscrapers, gravity, winds and earthquakes are the greatest forces that the building reacts to.

Buckling-restrained braces (BRBs)
The undulating motion that occurs in the skyscraper during an earthquake exerts unique forces on the outriggers.
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #1698
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

[IMG]http://i62.************/28ip7gg.jpg[/IMG]

i love that pepsi logo on top
pop a drink

Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #1699
justinong

Likes (Received): 44

pop a drink aboard korean airlines, cause that's their logo! no hard feelings though, a common mistake

j-biz, unmentioned liked this post
justinong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1700
TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 3059

NYC skyline often dominated by lead buildings with 1 spire, Chicago dominated by buildings with 2 spires, LA no spire

LA changes now

TheFuturistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower