daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:34 AM   #61
solchante

Likes (Received): 1457

another map

solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #62
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

I'm going to Cyprus in less than a week and hoped that maybe you guys can answer a few questions I have:

- Is there anything I should know about driving in Cyprus? Any tips or suggestions?
- How is traffic overall and in cities like Nicosia and Larnaca? How's parking?
- Can you cross the border to the Northern side? If yes, which are the border crossings that are open?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #63
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss
I'm going to Cyprus in less than a week and hoped that maybe you guys can answer a few questions I have:

- Is there anything I should know about driving in Cyprus? Any tips or suggestions?
- Can you cross the border to the Northern side? If yes, which are the border crossings that are open?
I know that they drive on the left in Cyprus and that is possible to cross the border.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #64
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

I just know that they drive really aggressive and dangerous there.
But nothing that you should be scared off.
You could say that they drive the same as the Estonians does.

Been there and seen it (Cyprus).
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #65
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

How long would a ferry from Greece take to Limassol, and what is the approx. price range (car + 1...4 pax)?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #66
Triple C

Likes (Received): 1724

Longer than from Turkey.
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM   #67
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

I'm now back from Cyprus and although I don't have any photos (sorry!) since I sat on the back seat most of the time , I do have some comments.

The quality of motorways is generally very good and although the speed limit is only 100km/h, most of the drivers drive around 120km/h. There are numerous speed camera warnings but I didn't manage to spot a single camera.
We also drove in the mountains. Generally the roads were very good, except in the mountain villages where the streets where really narrow and due to parking cars you often had to wait to let others pass. This brings me to parking overall. Let's say that it's creative . People generally park wherever it's possible and seemingly nobody pays for parking.
The overall traffic culture is more aggressive than in Estonia but I wouldn't call it dangerous.

The large amount and the overall style of verbal warning signs reminds me of the UK. All signs are bilingual so it's easy for tourists.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #68
crimio
Romania

Likes (Received): 550

crimio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #69
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Are there border crossing signs on the road between Paphos and Limassol, when you pass through the British territory? Any 'welcome to uk' 'welcome to cyprus' signs or anything like that? Someone mentioned that the spelling of cities change on the signs, is that the only giveaway that you're now on British territory?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #70
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

As far as I know there are no checkpoints between the British and Greek-Cypriot parts of the island. It's hard to see the difference too, becuase the roads look very British anyway.

However, if you cross from the Turkish part to a British part, like the crossing near Famagusta, there are checkpoints. It is clearly noticable that these checkpoints are staffed by British officers (with British police cars, etcetera).
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #71
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

It has been a long time ago I was on Cyprus, but I definately remember one (or more?) border crossing(s) east of Larnaka. At the road towards Famagusta there was no crossing when entering the British area, until reaching the Turkish part.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #72
IndigoJo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Are there border crossing signs on the road between Paphos and Limassol, when you pass through the British territory? Any 'welcome to uk' 'welcome to cyprus' signs or anything like that? Someone mentioned that the spelling of cities change on the signs, is that the only giveaway that you're now on British territory?
I was last there in 1993, but there was no sign of a border crossing when you enter the British bases (I used the B6 from Paphos to Limassol - the A6 hadn't been built yet except for a brief section around Limassol). I didn't remember any "welcome to Britain" type signs - just a lot of fences and British red-brick architecture, including the rows of British council-style houses.
IndigoJo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #73
AstyFilos

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
There are no check points or signs that you are entering or exiting the British Base Areas. The only thing that is different is the vehicles of the SBA (Sovereign Base Area) police. We consider them as mere military bases. They do have a peculiar status.
AstyFilos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:26 AM   #74
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

How is it going with the new motorway A7 from Pafos to Polis? When are they going to open it?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM   #75
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

I guess the project is still on hold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A7_motorway_%28Cyprus%29. I think construction works have never been started.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:40 AM   #76
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

2013 imagery in Google Earth shows no sign of construction.

Wikipedia is also like 5 years outdated: If an agreement is reached construction can commence as soon as the first quarter of 2011 with a 2015 deadline.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM   #77
MichiH

The next line refers to an article from August 2013:

Quote:
Currently, the project is on hold, although the Government announced they are reassessing the design (August 2013)

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #78
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I guess the project is still on hold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A7_motorway_%28Cyprus%29. I think construction works have never been started.

Raelly? On maps it looks like that motorway is under construction. Is that wrong?
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #79
MichiH

Which maps? I don't know online maps showing u/c roads except OSM which does not show A7 motorway. My 2nd source is wikipedia.

Old January 5th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #80
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Which maps? I don't know online maps showing u/c roads except OSM which does not show A7 motorway. My 2nd source is wikipedia.

At the Hallwag maps it looks like the A7 from Pafos to Polis is under construction.