daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1
mileageman

Likes (Received): 110

The City of Oz

Last edited by mileageman; March 1st, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
mileageman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 4723

Really? Thats what they want to do with that chunk of swamp and views of the everglades and suburban rooftops? C'mon. Im all for this urban type of stuff, but this just seems wierd.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 5081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Really? Thats what they want to do with that chunk of swamp and views of the everglades and suburban rooftops? C'mon. Im all for this urban type of stuff, but this just seems wierd.
I agree it's odd but people will travel to that location. Isn't Sawgrass Mills something like the single most visited tourist "destination" in South Florida? I know the arena and the mall also market themselves somewhat to the Gulf Coast---considering it part of their extended market because of the proximity to Alligator Alley---not sure how much success they've had doing that, though.

Not really where I'd want to spend my time, though, agreed.
spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Architek

Likes (Received): 85

its just because cruise ships just drop off tourist at the mall, but i agree this looks really dumb and i hate the this new trend of creating these small urbanized strips in the middle of nowhere, its happening everywhere now...this stuff can't be considered urban just because they add a couple of walkable streets in the middle of the suburbs.
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
kevinkagy

Likes (Received): 1047

It's an interesting concept, but it's next to the Everglades, come on. This would be a great project in and around the Arsht Center. Imagine the Miami World Center, north of it, Oz and north of that, Midtown. Now, that's awesome urbanism. Either way, I'd rather see more urban projects like this than, another mall or suburban strip malls.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
thetallerthebetter
Biscayne Corridor Realtor

Likes (Received): 110

no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
It's an interesting concept, but it's next to the Everglades, come on. This would be a great project in and around the Arsht Center. Imagine the Miami World Center, north of it, Oz and north of that, Midtown. Now, that's awesome urbanism. Either way, I'd rather see more urban projects like this than, another mall or suburban strip malls.
that spot is already taken by Wynwood which if you ask me it's already a lot more urban chic and authentic than OZ will ever hope to be
thetallerthebetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Jimmy McShane
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Jimmy McShane; October 29th, 2009 at 04:03 AM.
Jimmy McShane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #8
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 5081

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetallerthebetter View Post
that spot is already taken by Wynwood which if you ask me it's already a lot more urban chic and authentic than OZ will ever hope to be
Agreed...and I absolutely hate these phony "town center" concepts that try to recreate something that was never there in the first place, too.

The worst (to me) in South Florida are the ones that use faux gas lamps and any variety of antique-styled architectural flourishes to recall a look and time that has no historical relevance to the region whatsoever. It's as if they're trying to conjure out of Pembroke Pines or wherever some quaint New England town circa 1905 (with Pottery Barn and Banana Republic, of course) without any regard to the actual history and look of South Florida. It's about as 'real' as a Disney set, but I guess a lot of folks eat it up.

South Florida can--and should---go bold with that stuff. Why recall somebody else's past?
spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote