daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #1
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Bangkok 2009 - final part 3 of 3

In many Bangkok photos we see big elevated motorways which look so cool and modern. Yet not that often we see what is happening UNDER those massive concrete bridges. I did go under this junction to see what was happening and what the local people who lived there were up to.

Seemingly it's some of the poorest residents of Bangkok who stay there. It's a complete opposition to what we're used to see in most areas around Sukhumvit Road, Siam, Silom or elsewhere with shiny shopping malls and luxury hotels. This is a slightly different touch of Bkk.

Just after turning out from one of the main streets the view starts to change. There still is some street-trade and gatherings of people. However the deeper in the area the less lively it looks. Those motorway intersections may not look that huge from the air but in reality they occupy vast areas of land
image hosted on flickr

Those who drive on those concrete flyovers can't see what's under them. Just as we can't see them from down under. It's two different worlds here and there even though only a few meters apart
image hosted on flickr

Seemingly the motorway was built over something that looks like a canal or some other open water reservoir which now looks neglected and full of some little creatures (not fish)
image hosted on flickr

Some people having dinner. I was offered to have a bite. Only way of showing my gratitude was to take a photo which they could see only in my camera's little LCD screen. Anyhow, maybe some day they will see this photo somewhere on the Internet and remember that strange guy with a camera wandering under the motorway junctions
image hosted on flickr

Some unfamiliar mechanisms which, I assume, have something to do with the canal infrastructure. Not sure if they are still operational though. Would be extremely interesting to know more about that and the whole area in general
image hosted on flickr

The first 'normal' area outside the junction which is in Din Daeng. It wasn't that easy to get out because one way was blocked by the canal and the other way was blocked by fences and little shabby houses. There was another little canal I had to cross via bridge which had no rails and seemed dangerous. It was exciting enough to ignore any potential dangers though. There was some food-trade going on in the yard surrounded by multistory concrete residential blocks
image hosted on flickr

Some local guys who seemed like 'gangsters' of local scale. They were wandering around and playing with some sharp looking weapons and asked me to take a photo of them. No problem. Not only they didn't look too aggressive but also knew how to smile
image hosted on flickr

Day after in Sukhumvit Road. Ballack pushing his tuk tuk
image hosted on flickr

Some new year celebrations in Sukhumvit Soi 4 at the entrance to Nana Plaza which is one of Bangkok's largest and most concentrated 'red light' spots which in the evening becomes a massive partyzone
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Religion occupies a very important place in the daily life of ordinary people
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

One of a number of different deities that we can found in small shrines and temples all around Bangkok. I'm not too familiar with them but looks like it's mainly Hindu gods. I'm not sure how that works out in Theravada Buddhist tradition which is the predominant religion in Thailand
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Siam Paragon fountains and sale advertisements
image hosted on flickr

View from the Skytrain
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

BTS On Nut station with is quite some distance away (about 15km) from the main central areas. It's also the Eastern terminal station of BTS Sukhumvit line
image hosted on flickr

Some funky small-scale contemporary architecture.
image hosted on flickr

Tesco Lotus is a joint venture between British supermarket chain Tesco working in cooperation with a local business. I'm a frequent visitor to Tesco in UK and have noticed that Tescos in Thailand normally look much cleaner, pleasant and have friendlier staff
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Hua Lamphong, the main train station of Bangkok.
image hosted on flickr

Canals (khlongs as they are called locally) in the old part of Bangkok
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Inside the train station
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Siam is a small area packed with little shops. The interesting and unique thing about it is that it's made to look very "European" with highstreet-like shopping as opposed to mall shopping which is dominant in Bangkok and the rest of big cities in Asia. Shopping malls, especially in subtropical climate, seem much more convenient though
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Above the entrance to Hard Rock Cafe
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

"Salaam alaikum, sir, please try our restaurant, great food for you sir..." Soi Arab which is Soi 3-4 Sukhumvit. The area is not only Arab but also influenced by other Islamic cultures. There are some Arabic restaurants and shops
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A great place to drink - Gullivers Inn which is essentially a very nice (and large) pub.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Street sellers at Sukhumvit Road
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bangkok would not be Bangkok if not Khao San Road. Labeled 'Backpacker's Ghetto' it's one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan areas one could ever imagine. It's one of world's major backpackers' hubs
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A lovely quiet street just off Khao San rd.
image hosted on flickr

It's got one of the most amazing and unique Starbuck's I've ever been to
image hosted on flickr

There are 12-15 seats inside and although it was full that time (I found a seat though), it was absolutely silent inside. Like a meditation place where even a blade of grass could disturb everyone. A lovely and interesting place to hide away from street noises
image hosted on flickr

Comrade cockroach, a very common resident of Bangkok (about 3.5-4cm in length)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sondhi, one of the PAD leaders got shot the day before. His car got struck by over a 100 bullets fired from a machine gun, including one that hit him in the head. Yet he miraclously survived the assasination attempt. Later he said that soldiers were behind the shooting. One thing for sure, there is some dirty politics still going on
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Spires of the Grand Palace which hosts a huge open-air museum with temples, Monarchy relicts and other interesting expositions. I have been there twice already so this time we're not going there
image hosted on flickr

Green bike is a great idea but not sure how this will work in a city where anything that is not a car does not deserve respect on the road. Also, cycling in a this climate may not be such a great idea. I would much prefer an air-conditioned car myself . Good luck to them though
image hosted on flickr

Chao Phraya River and river taxi boat
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Art Market. Some artists selling their stuff which they also make on the spot
image hosted on flickr

This guy was creating his own bust simply by looking at the mirror
image hosted on flickr

Evening in Sukhumvit Soi 11 next to Bed Supperclub. Entry is 600THB (US$17) and for that you get two drinks. Ladies go in free on some nights. The great thing about this nightclub is the interiors and the beds where you can actually lay down and chill out while listening to great music and having a drink. There are also two separate rooms which play different styles (e.g. hip-hop and jazzy-house). All in all a very cool and chic place with great music and visits by best international DJs from all around the world
image hosted on flickr

If Bed SUpeprclub seems too expensive and too cool, then there's an option of some to-die-for roast beef and chicken pieces just on the opposite side of Soi 11 (or pretty much on every corner all around Bangkok, to be more precise). To me it takes 4-6 of those to have a decent lunch and costs 10THB (US$0.3) each. It comes with a piece of green pepper and pineapple. Absolutely (and I mean it) delicious!
image hosted on flickr

Lets have the last look through the hotel window. I'll miss Bangkok!
image hosted on flickr

This is the end. Thanks all who watched and hope you enjoyed the City of Angels. Of course, it's only a matter of time (and $, of course ) before we'll be back.

Last edited by Pansori; May 6th, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
VRS

Likes (Received): 11688

great picture...lovely to seeing bangkok ...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
pingyao
Virtual Architect

Likes (Received): 200

Thanks for sharing your photos in these 3 threads, some great shots of the city, you make me wish i was back there.
pingyao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

thankyou, what a great tour. Fascinating city. Is it true that there are less and less tuk tuks around nowadays
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
maxxam80

Likes (Received): 3

i love everything about bangkok apart from the tourists, sex tourists and hippy backpackers
maxxam80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #6
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

emmm...seeing bangkok makes me wonder on how we want our city/hometown/place to be looked clean, efficient and organized, yet we appreciate other's city which rather rustic and full of mess. huh...how conflicting we are.

anyway, a shot of gang with tattoos and smiles is....precious!!! great that you've done that

image hosted on flickr
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #7
Pansori
planquadrat

@eastadl

I think it's true, even though I never really paid attention to that and neither I ever used a tuk tuk except once back in 2006 just for fun. I didn't even like it anyway
I think there was some order or something that doesn't allow any new tuk tuks to be launched onto streets which means only old ones can be used. I'm not sure if that's really true though.

@maxxam80
Tru... except of backpackers though. I think it's one of the main attributes of Bkk. As about sex tourists, I think £ dropped steeply enough to deter some of those fat greasy bad-mannered w***ers from going this direction

@OshHisham
I don't think Bangkok is that unorganized or inefficient as some presume or believe. In many ways it's a well organized and efficient city. What I really noticed as one of the most negative attributes is lack of pedestrian-friendly atmosphere... it feels as if those who planned streets and public spaces forgot that it's not only cars but also humans who occasionally walk on sidewalks or public spaces. It would really help to improve that.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #8
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

i'm in love.
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #9
stewie1980

Likes (Received): 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
image hosted on flickr

That is/was a guy Pansori!
stewie1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie1980 View Post
That is/was a guy Pansori!
I know... one in 11th photo as well
he looks hot though!
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #11
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244742

And this thread about Bangkok was great too
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #12
stewie1980

Likes (Received): 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I know... one in 11th photo as well
Realy?
stewie1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie1980 View Post
Realy?
Well, I don't know but I was quite certain about that. Not that it's anything unusual in Bangkok though... and certainly not least in Sukhumvit soi 4 lol
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Really cool threads, all three of them, made me consider even more to go there soon!

And great pictures by you Pansori!
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #15
Htay9500

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice city!
Htay9500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #16
George W. Bush
Look at that parking lot!

Likes (Received): 5083

This BKK compilation is first-rate. Best ever I saw on SSC.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #17
tonyssa

Great shots!
tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #18
hoogbouw010

Thanks, enjoyed all three parts!
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #19
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Overall, a great collection of photos of a very fascinating city.
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #20
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244742

If you have more photos from Bangkok, please post them
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote