search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 872

IceCheese' photo mess!

I will use this thread to post different pictures I take on random trips. Those trips may be me walking some streets of Oslo and the greater Oslo-area, and they may be me on trips to other destionations that can be all around the globe. Most pictures will be of an urban character, though.

I will probably be switching between using my cellphone (Nokia N82) and my "real" camera (Sony α300) and now also my N900 cell phone, apparantly. I guess most forumers are able to identify which camera I'm using at a spesific time.

For me there will be no rules. Some pictures will be edited, some won't. Some will be blurry, cause I'm to lazy to take multiple pictures, some won't. Some posts will consist of many pictures, some of just a few. Mostly, this thread is just for fun on my side.

Feel free to comment, as long as the comments are only positive and digging me (j/k).

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; July 20th, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #2
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

IceCheese' photo mess!

The first trip I make will be to (or actually, it was Thursday last week)

Stjørdal

Stjørdal is a suburb of Trondheim, with some 10.638 inh. in the city proper. It lies in Nord Trøndelag county. The city is also the home of Værnes, the main airport in Trondheim (and also my main destination).

This aerial shows the region with the E6 and E14 roads, the airport, and the city. If you look closely you'll see where they got the mass for the extension of the airfield back in the days.

The first pic is taken from somewhere I really shouldn't be taking pictures, so no more details. The "sea" is Trondheimsfjorden

Walking towards Stjørdal, I took this picture facing the airport tower. Lots of development, but most I saw were new parking structures. Not sure if the whole ground is for that, though...

The same place, here I'm facing the new airport hotell they're constructing.

Here we're in downtown Stjørdal. A very cosy little town, but with quite a lot 60ies and 70ies functionalism, probably replacing lots of older stuff.

Not far from here I ate a pizza called "Stjørdal spesial"

This was a new urban project. Green is only a temp facade cover. This was on the southside of the E14 (most of downtown is north), which probably is the first step of making the road less of a barrier (they were also building a pedestrian tunnel under the road)(I'm standing north of the E14)

The same project from the other side. The project was called "Steinbra", which is a bit weird, since the neighboring city is called Steinkjer

In this established "villa"-district close to downtown, they weren't afraid to allow a much denser appartment building be built. Two thums up!

Walking towards the airport again. Tower in distance.

For us coming from the south, unelectrified railroads is an object for sight-seeing.

Railroad with tower.

And a spectacle from the railroad bridge, showing the huge afternoon lines of the E6.

I probably should've taken many more pictures, but it didn't happen... Stjørdal is a nice place, though, and is not that suburbish (but they're also 35 km from Trondheim, so). I hope you all enjoyed my first entry in this thread!

Last edited by IceCheese; May 6th, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
joamox

Likes (Received): 474

hm, looks a bit non-descript I have to say. Any Oslo pics coming up soon?

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Now-and-then photo collection on Mexichino Flickr
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2263

there is a reason i haven't posted many Stjørdalen pictures in my threads over the years!

What in my own name were you doing in Stjørdal anyway? (not used to hear about anyone else outside Trøndelag borders been there)! Stjørdalen is a kinda-Trondheim metro city, so its a really dead town considering its size and ugly as hell... (not that Levanger, Verdal or Steinkjer is any nicer...) I have to admit, Nord Trøndelags biggest towns really suck in architecture and planning!

And how... how did you get a ticket up in the airtower??
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 583

Juhuu, finally some pictures from Stjørdal!! ;D Atleast they have a gågate What is the best NT-town then in your opinion? Namsos?
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

hard to say but probably Namsos, they got some proper architecture and nice scenery, just that its all ruined when they have a terrible infastructure and hardly a place for people to walk. And after they opened their shopping mall a few years ago (biggest in NT for 1.5 years, untill Magneten in Levanger completed its extention)!

Steinkjer have a gågate, but they ****ed up everything by building the largest mall north of Dovre with 130 stores, so there is hardly any stores elsewhere. And they have cut the city in two pieces with new E6 and the railroad in the middel, smart... However, no other town in NT have nicer modern architecture than it.

Levanger have some potensial with a nice park/square surrounding with many older houses and some shops (some with proper architecture), too bad old E6 is the main street and is completly ****ed up with traffic! Its the only town in NT which wasn't completly ruined during WWII as well. And they are right now extrending Magneten shopping mall to meet Steinkjer's supermall.

Verdal... well, their cinema is the best in NT, but thats about it.

NT's shopping malls is much nicer and better than Trondheim's, a city more populated than all of NT...
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
MrSinister

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks. Having never been in, or around, Trondheim those pics are very welcome Do keep them coming.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #8
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Well, I don't think there will be any more Trøndelag pictures. Not for a while, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
there is a reason i haven't posted many Stjørdalen pictures in my threads over the years!

What in my own name were you doing in Stjørdal anyway? (not used to hear about anyone else outside Trøndelag borders been there)! Stjørdalen is a kinda-Trondheim metro city, so its a really dead town considering its size and ugly as hell... (not that Levanger, Verdal or Steinkjer is any nicer...) I have to admit, Nord Trøndelags biggest towns really suck in architecture and planning!

And how... how did you get a ticket up in the airtower??
To be honest, I was on an "audition", sort to say, for being a flygeleder (or air traffic controller, as the English say). I felt for a complete change of heart education-wise... Now I only need to get approved!
This was also the reason why I got the tour up in the tower. That's not for everyone...

Thanks for any other comments. Oslo will probably be one of the next places to visit.

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Ingenioren

^ Tought about that, sitting in a tower all day

Don't forget to take pictures of Ås
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #10
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 142

Thank you for the pictures, this thread certainly have the potential to become an interesting thread, especially if you succeed and end up having training in Bath (is that still where the Norwegian students go for their courses?)

As may be incured from IceCheese and comments of Þróndeimr there is not a whole lot to see or do for you urbanist freaks in Stjørdal. After all, this is the home of Agrisjå, and the fact that only half the fast growing population of Stjørdal (currently at around 21 000) live in the town is another sign that this is not exactly an urban dream. I guess the most interesting modern buildings are the statoil building, which I have never seen up close and the airport terminal itself, which I know all too well. However, I think there are some grand plans for the town center, but I am not sure of the details or when they are going to implemented.

Hence, if you ever have time to kill in Stjørdal/Værnes, for instance because you are waiting for a flight, I would rather explore the other side (i.e. terminal/ southern side) of the airport instead of the town. If the weather is not too warm, a suitable attraction within walking distance could be the Værnes church just at the eastern end of the runway. Despite its somewhat unfortunate location nowadays, this is in fact a very nice church, kind of like Lørenskog church or Byneset church (Berlinerpoplene, anyone?), only more impressive and larger. This is actually the oldest preserved stone building in Norway, dating from between 1080-1100 AD, which seems to be a little know fact. The stroll along the river to the church is also quite nice, especially during fall.

If its warmer, I would rather recommend getting to a beach. A very nice area is in fact the sand bank of Langøra. However, I am not sure if this is open to the public since this used to be a natural reserve (for birds) as well as a military area. However, there are supposedly other nice sand beaches in Stjørdal as well.

If you have wheels and are interested in history, I would recommend going to Hegra fortress, where 250 men and one women managed to stay put against a German siege for 25 days in 1940. Another interesting castle/fortress is Steinvikholmen, the last hideout of the catolic church in Norway, which final surrender to the Danes in 1537 marked the end of Norwegian indpendence for several hundred years.

However, if you are the scum of the earth and have realized that there is no hope for you, you might as well GO WEST and walk straight into

(Sorry, I just had to use this classical image...)
If there is some time of your life or to your flight Hell also boasts a Blues festival and, according to Stjørdalshalsinger (you will never guess how that is supposed to be pronounced), the best beach of the Trondheimsfjord. Both Hell and Hegra has some extensive petroglyphs btw. (And Hell is on the west side of the river, the hotels and the shopping center at the other side has just taken the name for commercial reasons, but of course eating at Hell grill is kind of an interesting thing to do for some....)

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; May 10th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #11
Ingenioren

Funny ;D I do think _ALL_ places has something to discover, and their distinct charm as long as people live there;D

Btw. The local plan opens up for a 12 floor building in Stjørdal, so there you have it. Another potential highrise for NT, the province of no cities;D (Namsos has one, Levanger has two planned, and Steinkjer one planned(A midrise hotel with a tall spire?)

Without counting Christians Leksvik visions ofcourse, i'm sure they are numerous;D

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 10th, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #12
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Actually the school educating ATCs lies right by Sturup, the main airport of Malmø.

Last edited by IceCheese; May 10th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #13
Ingenioren

Malmø has more than one airport? ;D
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #14
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

What I ment was that if someone don't know what/where Sturup is, it's there... Also many would say Kastrup is an airport of Malmø (even THE airport). Detail-freak..

Old May 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #15
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Btw. The local plan opens up for a 12 floor building in Stjørdal, so there you have it. Another potential highrise for NT, the province of no cities;D (Namsos has one, Levanger has two planned, and Steinkjer one(A midrise hotel with a tall spire?)
There is a masterplan around Værnes and Hell Storsenter (Rice Hell Hotel), have a picture of a 14 floor tall one been proposed back in 2002 or something. And they are opening for taller ones in central Stjørdal, since they are filling up the empty spots right now.

Steinkjer have two taller silo's. The city hall is 7 floors tall, and Fokus Bank have a kinda-sweet glass bank on 6 floors there, but thats it! Others than that they have a tall church and a fire-station tower (Picture 1 | Picture 2) Hotel with spire on?

Quote:
Without counting Christians Leksvik visions ofcourse, i'm sure they are numerous;D
Leksvik have quite a skyline if i was to add all the skyscrapers i have imagined around Leksvik over the years! :P
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Ingenioren

^ Those are some sweet towers and silos, from some angles Steinkjer looks cool (Not E6! ;P)

I think i posted one in Norway Projects tread barely braking the 35 meter limit;D I sure wish you were Sheikh of Leksvik and had a bucket-load of money;D
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #17
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
I think i posted one in Norway Projects tread barely braking the 35 meter limit;D
Yes they are planning one, but not built yet!
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #18
Ingenioren

Sorry, my mistake - i meant planned ofcourse!
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #19
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

17th of May! Norway's national day! Hurrah, and congratulations to all Norwegians!

Ås

I spent the day in my hometown, Ås, a Oslo suburb about 30 km south of Oslo downtown. These pics are mostly to show you all some of the spirit from the day, and a bit of the place I grew up.

In the morning, about 10 AM, there is a childrens parade, but I didn't bother to check it out. What you will se pictures of, though, is the "borgertog" (civil parade, is probably the best translation). It's basicly just a mess of different associations/people/russ going in a parade where everything is allowed

Here people are waiting on the parade in front of the north end of the city hall.

While waiting I took a couple of pictures facing the other way.

Here is a truck driving in the parade. Don't ask me why 1920ies Åsgårdkvartalet in the back.

First in the parade the mayor and the police chief walked, but those are boring to watch. Then some other people like Ås choir, Ås band, Ås athletic team came, students the university etc. Not so fun to watch those either. Then came the "russ", which are graduates from "videregående" (kind of high school). They were mostly drunk, dressed in red, and riding red vans. This was one of maybe 15-20 vans, followed by a russebuss.

The russebuss had some vinyls. Apparently the theme of the buss is an American diner.

Winnie the Pooh decided to fly off...

People say downtown Ås is dead on Sundays...

Åsheimkvartalet

The setting here is a bit disturbing. Ås station in the background.

Hope you all enjoyed! Will probably post more from Ås in the future when it's not as crowded....

tomPunk liked this post

Last edited by IceCheese; May 18th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #20
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

My new photos from Sweden.

Tags
cities, norway, towns