search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3482 votes, 4.99 average.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #35821
BoyamIjealous

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Oh!! Sorry, matey - I started putting them on 'the other side' as someone said to do now it's no longer under construction . . .

So the Airport line is finished, then, enabling a smooth ride through Rochdale town centre via 2CC? Johnny!

I reckon that when all that has been done, Metrolink will still remain under construction. Where to, we will find out in due course, but in the meantime, history will forgive you a double posting!

Last edited by BoyamIjealous; January 28th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
BoyamIjealous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #35822
xkc63

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyamIjealous View Post
So the Airport line is finished, then, enabling a smooth ride through Rochdale town centre via 2CC? Johnny!

I reckon that when all that has been done, Metrolink will remain under construction. Where to, we will find out in due course.
The most common rumour I've heard is Trafford Centre, but they've been saying that for years. I don't think anything has been officially agreed yet, but surely it must be the most logical next destination?

BoyamIjealous liked this post
xkc63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #35823
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 3259

Well done to all for braving the terrible weather and early starts, I am aiming to be on the first on out of Rochdale Centraal when it opens! I will force myself to be up

Cheers for all the photos, really is such a massive change in Oldham can hardly quite believe it!

Freel07 liked this post
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #35824
Freel07

Likes (Received): 13668

Just spotted this over on the Metrolink Tram thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=328

An official TfGM photo.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #35825
wrinkly

Likes (Received): 1015

In this post I quoted someone who said that the Outwood Lane bridgeworks at the airport station would take place in a 6-week period of 24-hour working "in April" with platform 3 under possession.

I've been trying to deduce exactly when this period might be but the evidence I can find suggests three or three and a bit weeks rather than six. That seems an implausibly tight schedule.

This page on the FTPE website shows a lot of train alterations at the station between Sat 15 March and Mon 7 April inclusive. Opentraintimes agrees, showing little or no usage of platform 3 in that period.
wrinkly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #35826
richardio123
Fantastic User

Likes (Received): 3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
In this post I quoted someone who said that the Outwood Lane bridgeworks at the airport station would take place in a 6-week period of 24-hour working "in April" with platform 3 under possession.

I've been trying to deduce exactly when this period might be but the evidence I can find suggests three or three and a bit weeks rather than six. That seems an implausibly tight schedule.

This page on the FTPE website shows a lot of train alterations at the station between Sat 15 March and Mon 7 April inclusive. Opentraintimes agrees, showing little or no usage of platform 3 in that period.

Also in that time the whole line between the airport at Piccadilly is being repaired etc there's a 50mph speed restriction for half of it

Just plain ultra boring rubbish which you've been suckered into reading.

Twitter: @rickybates Flickr: Rickybates
richardio123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #35827
Shaunpg

Likes (Received): 141

Just heard on the radio of delays in Oldham Central due to an incident...
Car parked on the line, get the knives out Chron readers.
Shaunpg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #35828
JackClare
Trainz Route builder

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunpg View Post
Just heard on the radio of delays in Oldham Central due to an incident... Car parked on the line, get the knives out Chron readers.
What, again?! Twice in 3 hours?!

Shaunpg liked this post
JackClare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #35829
Shrimper

Likes (Received): 282

They might just have picked it up from the Twitter feed; I don't think they have made an update since the original incident so perhaps the radio are assuming it is still in progress!

Shaunpg liked this post
Shrimper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #35830
Altfish
Mike

Likes (Received): 1895

Significant disruption this Saturday, 1st Feb....

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/new...omingID=108The following lines will have a replacement bus service:

•Altrincham to Piccadilly
•East Didsbury to Victoria
•Eccles to Piccadilly via MediaCityUK
Replacement buses do not call at Shudehill, Market Street or Pomona.
Altfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #35831
richardio123
Fantastic User

Likes (Received): 3306

At heald green

Yup Manchester airport train station is closed on the 15th march

Quote:
Engineering work is taking place between Heald Green and Manchester Airport with lines closed to Manchester Airport.
Probably to remove the bridge or ?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/66238.aspx

Just plain ultra boring rubbish which you've been suckered into reading.

Twitter: @rickybates Flickr: Rickybates

Gavin, wrinkly, BoltonLad liked this post

Last edited by richardio123; January 28th, 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Add more info
richardio123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #35832
Freel07

A final offering from me of shots from yesterday's Oldham opening.

Westwood at 07:36 where 3022 departs for East Didsbury as the daylight dawns. The chap on the platform lives locally and was recording all the trams on the East Didsbury to Rochdale diagrams yesterday morning, he was just waiting for 3036 to arrive back from East Didsbury so that he could say he had noted them all.

image hosted on flickr

P1030807 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030809 by sghyde, on Flickr

In the background 3033 can be seen approaching round the curve from Westwood Crossover. Travelling on this I noticed it had not had its PA/PIDS system updated and having left Freehold the system was displaying Oldham Mumps as the next stop.

image hosted on flickr

P1030811 by sghyde, on Flickr

As 3033 approaches the platform a CSR accompanies a man to the stop line. Speaking to the driver the CSR arranges for the horn to be sounded so that the chap can obtain a recording of it.

image hosted on flickr

P1030814 by sghyde, on Flickr

Up at Mumps Interchange now and 3033 heads of to Rochdale hopefully with its internal signs now working. The traffic on Huddersfield Road is still heavy as the stream of headlights shows.

image hosted on flickr

P1030817 by sghyde, on Flickr

Buses occupy a couple of ranks alongside the tramway as 3003 starts the climb up to Derker.

image hosted on flickr

P1030818 by sghyde, on Flickr

3020 descends from Derker against a background of the morning peak traffic.

image hosted on flickr

P1030820 by sghyde, on Flickr

Almost 08:20 now as 3002 arrives at Mumps.

image hosted on flickr

P1030827 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030832 by sghyde, on Flickr

A few minutes later 3036 is back on its second trip. The chap at Westwood now has his numbers and can go home!

image hosted on flickr

P1030834 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030836 by sghyde, on Flickr

3033 arrives at 08:30 to start my journey home.

image hosted on flickr

P1030840 by sghyde, on Flickr

A couple more shots at Central before heading off to warm up.

image hosted on flickr

P1030842 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030843 by sghyde, on Flickr

That's all folks

Anything else of note I find in my album from the day will appear on the Metrolink thread from now on.

Last edited by Freel07; January 28th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #35833
apologiesforthedelay

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
The chap on the platform lives locally and was recording all the trams on the East Didsbury to Rochdale diagrams yesterday morning, he was just waiting for 3036 to arrive back from East Didsbury so that he could say he had noted them all.
Bradfordian?

Freel07 liked this post
apologiesforthedelay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #35834
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by apologiesforthedelay View Post
Bradfordian?
No I don't think so, I admit I wondered and asked him whether he was associated with any forums on t'internet. But after explaining what I meant he said he wasn't.

Phreud liked this post
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #35835
iwillo

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkc63 View Post
The most common rumour I've heard is Trafford Centre, but they've been saying that for years. I don't think anything has been officially agreed yet, but surely it must be the most logical next destination?
The current TfGM plan for the Trafford Centre line is:
- Route consultation during spring 2014
- Route finalisation during summer 2014
- Submission of Transport and Works Act Order autumn 2014
- TWAO approval autumn 2015
- Construction winter 2016 to winter 2019

10 additional LRVs have recently been ordered to run the line and will be delivered in 2015. These will be used to provide extra capacity on existing lines in the meantime.

Obviously whether this line actually sees the light of day is dependant on the business case continuing to hold up!
iwillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #35836
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

I'd imagine the Trafford Centre line will probably have a strong enough business case however whether the extension to port Salford will is another matter.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #35837
Johnny de Rivative
Zéro de conduite . . .

Likes (Received): 10518

04:59 on 27.01.2014: another day, and another new era dawns as 3036, the first ever banana for Oldham Central, passes the Midland Hotel :-

The excitement begins as we leave Victoria . . .

(Incidentally, we noticed in passing that the speed limit over the Finback bridge at Central Park has been increased to 15 mph both ways. A much more purposeful and smoother passage than before, much better.)

Anyway, back to the first tram. Something mediated this way comes . . .

The intrepid band of forummers prepares to enter virgin territory :-

In the amorphous gloom ahead, Winterbottom Street beckons :-

Up into the heart of Oldham, where ale is king . . .

They can't get on quick enough at Oldham Central! :-

The first arrival at Oldham Mumps Permanent - to a 'green' welcome from the Green Party for the greenest urban transport since unsliced wholemeal bread . . .

Mumps is also the point at which the destination 'via' changes in both directions. On the return journey, we were met with the sound of a bell and looked round for the Town Crier, but no apparent sign of anyone . . . the explanation came later in the day along with the parade of dignitaries :-

We earlybirds were not neglected, however, and a great big thank-you to the Green Party and another Very Nice Lady who was there again braving the stormy aubade to bring us all biscuits and cakes! (Green ones!) :-

I agree with 99% of Green Party philosophy and I have always wanted Caroline Lucas to be Prime Minister. However, one singleton policy still prevents me from voting for them, namely their unaccountable opposition to HS2 . . .

I cannot understand their objections to HS2, or from where comes the assumption that there is only enough money for either HS2 or local rail & transport improvements – even under the ToryDems we’re currently getting both, the latter probably in as reasonable a timescale as can be expected.
Nor do I believe the costs are spiralling to £80Bn. But if money is short, the Greens’ excellent policy of re-nationalisation should produce enough revenue to go into cross-subsidies rather than the back pockets of the fat profiteers. And failing that, scrap nuclear weapons and tax the bankers and footballers till the pips hurt!!
Sure, the fat cats will use HS2, but surely that’s better and greener than guzzling the environment down the M1 in their Rolls and Lamborghinis, and leaves more room for the rest of us. And no mention of where all the future freight will go apart from diesel juggernauts, now that everyone’s ordering off the internet instead of moribund town centres . . . come on, Greens, get your act together! :-

But thanks for the early morning grub, much appreciated anyway! On we go :-

Oldham starts to come to life :-

0730 found us back at King Street :-

A Rochdale commuter tram passes :-

Then everyone decides it’s time for breakfast, so it’s off to the only thing open at that time, the all-night Macdonalds for the worst bacon & egg barm I’ve ever tasted! Time for a good old chin-wag though, and a review of events so far :-

Somewhere in the distance, my ears pricked up when I thought I heard mention of a bell-end, and then suddenly, by the spookiest of coincidences, there it was on the table!! :-

That was the sound we had heard earlier on the platform at Mumps!! It was the very same bell that had sounded the death-knell for the very last Oldham Corporation tram in 1946, and the gentleman, Jeremy Sutcliffe had brought it from the custody of the Civic Society to sound it again on the arrival of the very next tram to come along into Oldham Centre no less than 68 years later!!! Well done, that man, and what a hero! :-

Click on for a quick demo :-

Oldham Chronicle 27.01.2014

Then it was time for the plucky forummers to trek on and out into the wet morning . . .

So it’s goodbye from the chums after another famous opening – see you all again in ROCHDALE! :-

Takes me all the way back to 1992 . . .

. . . when this drawing was all there was . . . .

Owl., kriis101, NJF, Tony_H1, loweskid and 19 others liked this post

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; February 1st, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #35838
xkc63

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by apologiesforthedelay View Post
Bradfordian?
I do believe he's mentioned before that his nearest line is the Eccles line.
xkc63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #35839
Bradfordian2

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillo View Post
The current TfGM plan for the Trafford Centre line is:
- Route consultation during spring 2014
- Route finalisation during summer 2014
- Submission of Transport and Works Act Order autumn 2014
- TWAO approval autumn 2015
- Construction winter 2016 to winter 2019

10 additional LRVs have recently been ordered to run the line and will be delivered in 2015. These will be used to provide extra capacity on existing lines in the meantime.
That's something which has never happened before, no matter how many trams have been waiting to enter service..
Bradfordian2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #35840
JackClare
Trainz Route builder

Likes (Received): 302

Wonderful shots, Johnny, and also same to you Freel! You have both managed to capture the contrast between old and new, freezing cold and warm yellow brilliantly! Bring on Rochdale TC, let us all hope it's a bit warmer by then!

Freel07, Johnny de Rivative, Phreud liked this post
JackClare no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: