daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1489 votes, 4.99 average.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #6301
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 465

Wow feel, thats an amazing update.

Thanks

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #6302
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

Likes (Received): 1394

Absolutely!! What is your line of work feel?? I'm jealous!! :-D
martin2345uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #6303
apologiesforthedelay

Likes (Received): 253

Great pics!

The more the merrier!
apologiesforthedelay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #6304
Alex_L33

Likes (Received): 4

Surely they could have excavated a bit to smooth out all those sudden changed in gradient? I find it hard to believe that that used to be a heavy rail alignment with gradients like that, unless it is a trick of perspective.
Is the steepness such that they won't be able to run heavy rail ballast trains etc through from the Bury line when the time comes to re-lay the track ?
Alex_L33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #6305
ScouseinManc
Violently happy

Likes (Received): 45

I don't even support City, or have an reason to go that neck of the woods, but fancy a trip over there now.

Monsall stop looks really good & they've done an excellent job restoring the bridges.

Favourite pic though is Smedley viaduct & the misty backdrop.

Great update Freel, I think that's the best so far this year
ScouseinManc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #6306
Futurelink
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 38

Brilliant snaps, Freel. Well done.
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #6307
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 352

Excellent work Freel !
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #6308
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 378

Some excellent pictures just in themselves Mr Free.

Really good photos, but a real sense of what the lines feel and look like. I am envious of your foto skill.

Match that Ashtonian...........................

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; January 19th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #6309
Ashtonian

Oldham & Rochdale Line - Oldham Mumps (Viaduct)

Thought I'd check out progress at this location since JDR's great photos a while back.

The whole viaduct bar one span which I call the South Bridge has gone, it has really opened up the area. When coming from town you see the solitary former Bank Building, then the busy Mumps Roundabout, you can see the other side of the roundabout now.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5151&A=Y&Z=106

The grand plan is to get rid of the roundabout and replace with a big T-Junction with traffic lights. The plan is to do away with the myriad of subways and replace with surface level street crossings. But for now we have to stick to the subways.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5126&A=Y&Z=106

Last edited by Ashtonian; January 19th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6310
heatonparkincakes

Wow spoke too early....................
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6311
Ashtonian

Oldham & Rochdale Line - Oldham Mumps (Viaduct) (Contd)

Once inside the roundabout, you can see the effect of the earthwork shift close on. Cannot get anywhere near (site of) Mumps Station because the subway has shut down.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5130&A=Y&Z=106

You can stand in the middle of the former viaduct and look at the remaining structure and realise how high the viaduct was. Remember the line must drop by this much from the side of Mumps Station
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5139&A=Y&Z=106

Looking north from the same position:

Back on the outside of the roundabout, standing where the north bridge was and looking south ...

Walking up north from the roundabout, there are two streets on either side of the former viaduct - Bell Street and Brook Street.

View South from Bell Street
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5273&A=Y&Z=106

View South along trackbed

View North from Brook Street - you can see where the metal sheets meet the stone wall - that's where the viaduct used to land on ground level.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...5289&A=Y&Z=106
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6312
Ashtonian

I wonder who will get the first shots of what's going on inside the compound at Mumps Station. It is so difficult to get close to it. Maybe one for our "Inside Man" (Freel) ?
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #6313
Ashtonian

'Cakes Freel wins hands down because of his access and better camera quality. I have to make do with my mobile.
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #6314
heatonparkincakes

As ever persistent and excellent though. Cheers Ashtonian.

Its a team effort on here. All are welcomed. (bar abusive skaus trolls)
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #6315
MarkO

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk View Post
Couple of fairly uninteresting shots of the Didsbury end of the line...
Don't run yerself down Martin! Those will be historical documents (and not in the 'Galaxy Quest' way) once the work progresses and especially when there are banana's flying thru there! Bravo!

And Freel? Feel like I was standing on that trackbed with ya! More progress than I'd thought. VERY impressive!

As for Ashtonian's piccies: dont know Oldham too well (not as well as Cleggy that's for sure!) but can really see how much the tram will open it up now, thanks - despite those pesky clouds. :-)

Pat on the back to all: it all feel's very real now and without doubt the most exciting urban rail project in Britain. Oh wait: it's the only one , bloody brilliant anyway! MORE PLEASE!!!!
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #6316
Freel07

Likes (Received): 4776

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
Don't run yerself down Martin! Those will be historical documents (and not in the 'Galaxy Quest' way) once the work progresses and especially when there are banana's flying thru there! Bravo!

And Freel? Feel like I was standing on that trackbed with ya! More progress than I'd thought. VERY impressive!

As for Ashtonian's piccies: dont know Oldham too well (not as well as Cleggy that's for sure!) but can really see how much the tram will open it up now, thanks - despite those pesky clouds. :-)

Pat on the back to all: it all feel's very real now and without doubt the most exciting urban rail project in Britain. Oh wait: it's the only one , bloody brilliant anyway! MORE PLEASE!!!!
Thanks everyone for the kind comments about the pics. My work in Light rail engineering does occasionally give me unmissable opportunities! Unfortunately I don't get out of the office often enough for my liking.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6317
Freel07

[QUOTE=Ashtonian;70909437]Oldham & Rochdale Line - Oldham Mumps (Viaduct) (Contd)

Once inside the roundabout, you can see the effect of the earthwork shift close on. Cannot get anywhere near (site of) Mumps Station because the subway has shut down.

You can stand in the middle of the former viaduct and look at the remaining structure and realise how high the viaduct was. Remember the line must drop by this much from the side of Mumps Station

Looking north from the same position:
Back on the outside of the roundabout, standing where the north bridge was and looking south ...
Walking up north from the roundabout, there are two streets on either side of the former viaduct - Bell Street and Brook Street.

View South from Bell Street

View South along trackbed
View North from Brook Street - you can see where the metal sheets meet the stone wall - that's where the viaduct used to land on ground level.]

Ashtonian nice to see the progress at Mumps, its so close to home but unfortunately I've not had chance to get over to have a look round.

Last edited by Freel07; January 19th, 2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: pic links removed to speed loading
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #6318
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_L33 View Post
Surely they could have excavated a bit to smooth out all those sudden changed in gradient? I find it hard to believe that that used to be a heavy rail alignment with gradients like that, unless it is a trick of perspective.
Is the steepness such that they won't be able to run heavy rail ballast trains etc through from the Bury line when the time comes to re-lay the track ?
I think that the small amount of telephoto I used might have exaggerated the climb. They haven't really made that much difference to what was there earlier, its the flat bits under the bridges that make it look strange. I couldn't get up to the fin back bridge but I think the climb up there would maybe stretch a heavy rail train. Any case I doubt the bridge has been built for such loads, I know the similar one at Besses o th Barn on the Bury line has a weight restriction.
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #6319
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 203

Great pics Freel. Wish we could get them altogether when it's all open....
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #6320
Joseph_Locke
Engineer

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
I think that the small amount of telephoto I used might have exaggerated the climb. They haven't really made that much difference to what was there earlier, its the flat bits under the bridges that make it look strange. I couldn't get up to the fin back bridge but I think the climb up there would maybe stretch a heavy rail train. Any case I doubt the bridge has been built for such loads, I know the similar one at Besses o th Barn on the Bury line has a weight restriction.
The former Cheetham Hill Loop north east out of Irk Valley Junction towards Thorpes Bridge was the flatter (less steep) route east out of Vic. - the "main line" via Platting is a lot steeper. The freight people kicked off when MVAIR proposed the closure of the Cheetham Hill loop.

The loop was only about 1 in 100, whereas Collyhurst Bank is 1 in 60 odd, IIRC

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: