daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 975 votes, 4.98 average.
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #8501
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2190

Place North West.

Quote:
Metrolink events to brief public on airport link

9 May 2011, 09:35

Transport for Greater Manchester is holding half-a-dozen public events to outline plans for the forthcoming Metrolink line to Manchester Airport.

Preparatory construction work has started on the new line which is due to begin services at the end of 2015. Leaving the South Manchester line just after the St Werburgh's Road stop in Chorlton, the Manchester Airport line will run on nine miles of new track through Northern Moor, Baguley and Wythenshawe to Manchester Airport.

Philip Purdy, Transport for Greater Manchester's Metrolink director, said: "The Manchester Airport extension will improve people's access to one of the country's busiest airports, and we are committed to keeping people informed throughout all stages of the line's construction.

"Our information events continue to be a useful way for people to meet with the Metrolink team, view plans and find out more about what is happening with the new line. So, I'd encourage people to come along and take advantage of these events and ask any questions they may have."

The events will be held on:

Tuesday 24 May: From 4pm to 7pm at Wythenshawe Forum, Forum Square M22 5RF

Thursday 26 May: From 4pm to 7pm at Benchill Community Centre, Benchill Road, Wythenshawe M22 8EJ

Tuesday 31 May: From 4pm to 7pm at Royal Oak Community Centre, Brookcott Road, Wythenshawe M23 1DY

Wednesday 1 June: From 4pm to 7pm at the Manchester Health Academy Community Building, Moor Road, Wythenshawe M23 9BP

Wednesday 8 June: From 4pm to 7pm at Chorlton High School, Nell Lane, Chorlton Manchester M21 7SL

Thursday 9 June: From 4pm to 7pm at St Elizabeth's Church Hall, Holliney Road (corner with Lomond Road), Peel Hall M22 5JF
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8502
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Thanks all. I was coming over all depressed about Droylsden not having its 5 minutes of glory, but the presence of a trambahn on your plans Freel effectively solves the 'problem' as I had identified it. (I don't think I've seen those plans before? - they have been very reluctant to release them, or perhaps they are still under review.) I think the location of the trambahn on the inbound (Southern) side also probably dictates the need for a facing crossover, to avoid conflict with road traffic. - I too like the other suggestion but surely they wouldn't want to blockade Market Street for a third time . . .

Anyway, to cheer us all up I took a few pix of the newly-arrived OHLE poles between Hollinswood and South Chaddeh.

Above the M60 :-

Drury Lane Bridge :-

South Chadderton tramstop :-

Looking back towards Manchester :-

And towards Oldham :-

The approach to South Chaddeh tramstop via Canal Street (not that one!) :-

. . . Would they?

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; May 9th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #8503
WatcherZero

Rail crane lowering track segments into place at Old Trafford Depot. Its been tidied up a lot since I last passed though now theyve stuck a tall wooden fence around most of the perimeter.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #8504
Freel07

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Thanks all. I was coming over all depressed about Droylsden not having its 5 minutes of glory, but the presence of a trambahn on your plans Freel effectively solves the 'problem' as I had identified it. (I don't think I've seen those plans before? - they have been very reluctant to release them, or perhaps they are still under review.) I think the location of the trambahn on the inbound (Southern) side also probably dictates the need for a facing crossover, to avoid conflict with road traffic. - I too like the other suggestion but surely they wouldn't want to blockade Market Street for a third time . . .

Anyway, to cheer us all up I took a few pix of the newly-arrived OHLE poles between Hollinswood and South Chaddeh.

. . . Would they?
Good to see the progress on Oldham, I must work out how to get to South Chadderton, I missed it on my walk last month.

The 'Trambahn' in Droylsden has been on the drawings since late 2009 I think. The drawing I saw dates from 2010.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #8505
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1420

Hi

Good picture everyone who took them thanks, they where start putting pole in at Freehold Station before but I notice they only whay far as Block Lane bridge but less they doing something on Oldham Line. I notice the haven't track down at Werneth so I think that what they will do so. My guess was when Chorlton line will open was Yesterday (May 9) so I failled in that one.
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #8506
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

Likes (Received): 1211

More and more people out of the running every day on the Chorlton line opening date! Unless they open it in 5 days, I'm out too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirlieG
Chorltonred - 28th March

Voldermort - 1st April
ill tonkso - 3rd April
ScouseinManc - 4th April
Wirlie G - 11th April
Chogmook - 16th April
Ashtonian - 17th April
harryj79 - 17th April
Manclad71 - 18th April
Kriis101 - 21st April
Futurelink - 25th April
Mamucium - 26th April
Accura - 29th April
Johnny de Rivative - 29th April
Norb - 30th April

Watch - 1st May
NYManic - 1st May
Gdogg371 - 1st May
alr1970 - 2nd May
thecityofgold - 3rd May
Zim - 3rd May
Local Lad - 6th May
r02 - 9th May
MarkO - 13th May
martin2345 - 15th May
Chorlton Metro - 15th May
Mostly Lurnking - 15th May
CPL R - 16th May
Sir Miles Platting - 16th May
kurt5561 - 16th May
DiscoSteve - 20th May
link road - 22nd May
Apologies - 23rd May
tucbuscuit - 29th May
iheartthenew - 30th May
Free07 - 30th May

Seasonedbest - 6th June
leeroy - 12th June
traffordboy - 13th June
hulmeman - 20th June
Soupcon - 20th June

mackenzi - 20th July

ADJ1984 - 28th September

Bible - 5th October

Joydivision - 30th Sept 2012.
martin2345uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #8507
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Can anyone confirm if the depot has officially been opened yet or are they waiting on TOS?

From memory it was initially due to open in Dec2010, then March 2011, yet I don't remember seeing anything official about it opening.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #8508
WatcherZero

Its a phased opening, it became open for storing stock in Dec 2010 and the depot buildings were handed over in March.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #8509
LNGCats

Thanks. I was expecting to see fat boy Whitmore in another photo oppurtunity when it had opened.

Clearly not.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #8510
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1125

According to a poster on another forum, the TMS on the Trafford Depot/South Manchester Line Junction to GMEX is due to be handed over imminently.

Also to never trust an opening date set to a season LOL
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #8511
ScouseinManc
Violently happy

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk View Post
More and more people out of the running every day on the Chorlton line opening date! Unless they open it in 5 days, I'm out too!!
My forecast's long passed...

My dear Mother was over from Lpool on Saturday for the day & just after I collected her from Oxford Rd stn, I whizzed up to Morrisons in Chorlton in the car. Was telling her what a white elephant the whole S. Mcr line has turned out to be. Not even a Metro sign in the vacinity, hinting at the iminent opening...

At least there's plenty going on elsewhere, with plenty of great updates from Freel, JdR & Ashtonian, to name a few.

I may just throw a party when they actually get this signalling sorted & trams on tests.
ScouseinManc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #8512
apologiesforthedelay

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
According to a poster on another forum, the TMS on the Trafford Depot/South Manchester Line Junction to GMEX is due to be handed over imminently.

Link to the other forum please!
apologiesforthedelay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #8513
LNGCats

Quote:

If true surely testing on the Chorlton line is imminent.

Will we see the Cornbrook turn back opening first or the Chorlton line?

Could MC still go into Picc as well as MC shuttle?
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #8514
LNGCats

Quote:

If true surely testing on the Chorlton line is imminent.

Will we see the Cornbrook turn back opening first or the Chorlton line?

Could MC still go into Picc as well as MC shuttle?
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #8515
LNGCats

Timings I suppose. They need to confirm the timetable as to when the trams will depart St Web etc such that they fit between the Alty and Eccles trams at TB and Cornbrook.

I seem to remember when Phase 1 & 2 opened the railway inspectorate insisted on 6 weeks of ghost running. I think freel pointed out this is no longer required but I still imagine they'll run a ghost service at least for a short period of time.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #8516
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1125

Heres the link

http://www.wnxxforum.com/interactive...8794&start=400

Tony Miles is a respected railway journalist who works for 'Modern railways' so I'm sure his info can be trusted

LNGCats. They already tested the Chorlton Line So dunno what else they would need to do down there, besides putting up station signs and fitting ticket machines.
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8517
LNGCats

Timings I suppose. They need to confirm the timetable as to when the trams will depart St Web etc such that they fit between the Alty and Eccles trams at TB and Cornbrook.

I seem to remember when Phase 1 & 2 opened the railway inspectorate insisted on 6 weeks of ghost running. I think freel pointed out this is no longer required but I still imagine they'll run a ghost service at least for a short period of time.

I presume this can also lead to the TOS timings in the city centre and hence the demise of the Mosley St stop.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #8518
Joydivison82

Likes (Received): 51

Is TMS = Tram Management System, which I assume is the same thing as TOS (Tram Operating System)?

Just a bit confused.

So are you saying that Chorlton line is about to be handed over to Metrolink?
Joydivison82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #8519
conn1231

Likes (Received): 2

There are a bunch of Duel aspect railwayesque signals on the stretch between Deansgate Castlefield and Ponoma TMS or been there for ages?
conn1231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #8520
LNGCats

Yes TMS = TOS.

Yes, those new signals, mostly still under plastic wrappers are TOS signals.

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: