daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1471 votes, 4.99 average.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #9721
bendoyle1983
Is a baked egg a cake?

Likes (Received): 19

Definitely worth it then!

It's a shame about Wythenshawe Hospital though... you'd think they wouldn't make the "Hope Hospital" mistake again. Neither Ladywell or Weaste are convenient for Hope. I too hope that they build the western loop, as it will open up Metrolink to even more people.

Perhaps TfGM could take a leaf out of Vienna's book, where Vienna has lots of feeder buses which feed into the metro system. A set of short-distance, tram-service frequency feeder buses into the Metrolink network might do the trick.

Could that might be a good way of extending the benefits of Metrolink to the western side of Wythenshawe? TfGM could bring in a few of them accross the network and give them an "M" numbering system perhaps (now Arriva have shook off the last shackles of Ribble's numbering with the M10 in Eccles/Salford)?

Just a thought, one I'm sure has been discussed here before!

Sponsored Links

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #9722
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
The bus from Wythenshawe town centre to Picc Gardens takes about 1hr 30mins.

The tram will take less than 40mins.

There is a step of ruralness as you pass over the flood plain that is the Mersey Valley.

As you can see by the heights of the banks the area is prone to flooding hence little development goes on around there.

The tracks will have to be quite well raised up.
I'm pretty sure that both the 43 and the 101 take less than an hour. The journey times are still more than 50 mins though, so the tram will definitely be quicker, and of course it will also connect other areas with each other.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #9723
Joydivison82

Likes (Received): 55

Yeah the 43 is the direct one and takes around an hour from the airport. Not got it for years though since I now drive. I know what some people in Wythenshawe do is get the bus to the airport and then get the train into town from there, as its so much quicker.
Joydivison82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #9724
Chorlton Bloke
Mithered in Morrisons

Likes (Received): 52

Phew, new page at last! The previous was so heavily laden with fabulous photos that it was hanging my lappy
Chorlton Bloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #9725
ScouseinManc
Violently happy

Likes (Received): 45

Amazing update back there LNG - well done & thanks!
ScouseinManc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #9726
bendoyle1983
Is a baked egg a cake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joydivison82 View Post
Yeah the 43 is the direct one and takes around an hour from the airport. Not got it for years though since I now drive. I know what some people in Wythenshawe do is get the bus to the airport and then get the train into town from there, as its so much quicker.
That seems sensible; it's that sort of thing I'm talking about, nothing crazy or over the top, just some bus links into the tram network, whose sole purpose is to be a feeder route, something similar to the Little Gems. I would be best used for people who are just outside of the catchment area for walking to tram stations, but far enough away from Manchester for it to be a long bus journey, another example could be Royton, connecting with Derker.

I don't think we've every tried this in GM, correct me if I'm wrong. Of course it would be easier if we had a "GMT" style provision for buses, but that's another kettle of fish
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9727
WatcherZero

Technically all the bus routes that connect to transport hubs or interchanges are feeder services.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #9728
radamfi

Likes (Received): 26

The best example of feeder buses in the UK is at Addington Village near Croydon. Some of them are longer bus routes that happen to terminate there for onward tram connections towards Croydon but some of them are very short dedicated feeder routes connecting nearby estates. There was some controversy as some routes were truncated at the interchange forcing some people who previously travelled the whole way to Croydon on the bus to change onto the tram. Obviously things like this can be done there because they don't have bus deregulation.

There are a few feeder bus routes to the Nottingham tram system in Bulwell.

GMT used to have an 'Interlink' branded network around Altrincham in the 70s/early 80s which acted as feeders to the train. Don't know how successful this was I was only small at the time.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #9729
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoyle1983 View Post
That seems sensible; it's that sort of thing I'm talking about, nothing crazy or over the top, just some bus links into the tram network, whose sole purpose is to be a feeder route, something similar to the Little Gems. I would be best used for people who are just outside of the catchment area for walking to tram stations, but far enough away from Manchester for it to be a long bus journey, another example could be Royton, connecting with Derker.

I don't think we've every tried this in GM, correct me if I'm wrong. Of course it would be easier if we had a "GMT" style provision for buses, but that's another kettle of fish
Good point overall ! That's what integrated transport is about.

I think it's been done in GM before. The best example is the shuttle bus from Stretford to the Trafford Centre.
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #9730
macc

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
Good point overall ! That's what integrated transport is about.

I think it's been done in GM before. The best example is the shuttle bus from Stretford to the Trafford Centre.
They need to sort the integrated ticketing in general. I look forward to ditching my bus pass in favour of one for the tram but I know there are going to times when I end up having to buy separate bus tickets. Either that or watch buses sail past while walk for 5 minutes, then wait 6 minutes for a tram. Feeder buses won't work unless tickets are integrated.

Stagecoach/First bus single tickets and day passes are ludicrously expensive. This helps keep the buses moving quickly by promoting the use of weekly and monthly passes, which are good value for money.

Compare the speed a Magic bus makes through studentsville to a Stagecoach bus. Magic buses do have reasonable single fare and as a result everyone gets them, pays cash, and holds everything up while they're counting their coppers. The journey can take a 3rd longer.

In order to travel efficiently you have to maximise the use of available transport options. There should be reasonable ways to pay for this using a ticketing system that covers them all. You should be able to get on what you want when it suits you.

The benefits of sorting integrated ticketing out would be be far more beneficial than, say, paying for and building the Trafford Centre line.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #9731
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:

Royton centre to Derker by bus + the tram journey wouldn't really save much, if any, time at all I suspect.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #9732
bendoyle1983
Is a baked egg a cake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
They need to sort the integrated ticketing in general....

Stagecoach/First bus single tickets and day passes are ludicrously expensive.
I totally agree. If they ever get the readycard up and running, it will be a boon to the Met County as a whole. The simplicity of touching in and out with Oyster is something that really we should have been doing for years. Without regulated transport though, it's harder to implement.

To get to my work, it can either be a Bluebird, Arriva, First, Stagecoach, (+Maytree when the 9 starts to MediaCity), then a train if I go in Manchester, so a uniform fare/transport policy would be welcome from my POV!

Anyway, I digress from the topic at hand...
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #9733
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1852

Hi

Have they do any more testing on Chorlton Line today and have anyone be on a tram near G-mex where they be doing work they.

Also do anyone know if next Tuesday be the day when Chorlton line finally opened.

Good Picture to everyone who took them thanks.
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #9734
WingTips

Likes (Received): 153

Looks like posting some of the great pictures on the International thread has paid off, new names and posting cropping up on the Manchester Metro Extention thread...all very welcome of course.
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #9735
LRC Lancaster

Likes (Received): 0

Wow- thanks LNG for the pics of the Airport route - very informative.

With regards to buses etc. - in my humble opinion bus routes need to be re-regulated and integrated with each other.
As what is going to happen in West Yorkshire, and already does in London, TfGM should set all routes, timetables and fares and tender them out to private operators (Stagecoach, First, Arriva, Go-Ahead, Finglands etc) over a franchise system. TfGM could repaint buses in a single corporate livery to create a sense of unity and co-operation.
Tickets purchased for one operator should be valid for every other and should be intergrated with Metrolink and possibly rail services within GM, since all revenue would be collected by TfGM and divvied up between the bus operators as what happens in the railways.

This is just an idea and is open for comment.
LRC Lancaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #9736
conn1231

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I totally agree. If they ever get the readycard up and running, it will be a boon to the Met County as a whole. The simplicity of touching in and out with Oyster is something that really we should have been doing for years. Without regulated transport though, it's harder to implement.

To get to my work, it can either be a Bluebird, Arriva, First, Stagecoach, (+Maytree when the 9 starts to MediaCity), then a train if I go in Manchester, so a uniform fare/transport policy would be welcome from my POV!

Anyway, I digress from the topic at hand...
The Nine?
conn1231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9737
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

I wouldn't say WYPTE are anywhere near what you suggest. Lets wait and see what actually happens in WY. If it works, lets copy them, if it fails and there is a reasonable chance it will we have not adversely impacted the poorest in society who most rely on the bus.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9738
Nymanic
Now you see me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC Lancaster

With regards to buses etc...

This is just an idea and is open for comment.
Few would disagree with you, LRC. The problem is that implementing it would cost money. Lots. Something which, sadly, isn't available.
Nymanic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #9739
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymanic View Post
Few would disagree with you, LRC. The problem is that implementing it would cost money. Lots. Something which, sadly, isn't available.
I'm not sure that TFGM have the powers to do it, even if they wanted to.

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #9740
madferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Stagecoach/First bus single tickets and day passes are ludicrously expensive.
What makes you think integrated ticketing would be cheaper? Having a daily cap so it didn't matter which bus or other mode you use would be good though.
madferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: