daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1158 votes, 4.98 average.
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #18541
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 53

They should get rid of the grass entirely and turn it into Piccadilly Square.

It's pleasant enough on a sunny Saturday but other than that serves its function poorly and feels cluttered and grimey.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #18542
loweskid

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
Piccadilly Gardens was a drug enthused playground and hiding place for Manchesterís homeless, drunks and crooks. Incidents of crime were very high. Surrounding amusment arcades, pubs, convenient bus station and a multitude if park benches did not help matters. It was also extremely dated and created more of a barrier than the current design.
Not to mention the thousands of starlings that used to roost in the trees - amazing sight when they were swarming but didn't 'arf leave a slimy mess under the trees....
loweskid está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #18543
VoldemortBlack
Want a coffee after this?

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_L33 View Post

I'm note sure what they could have done better though as it's an awkward place to landscape with the tram tracks in the middle. Perhaps they could have grass in the centre of the tracks (with a few paved crossings)? The frequency of the service should discourage people from walking along them and thus it wouldn't get as trampled as it does in Picc Gdns.

People seem to think trams through public spaces is a bad thing?

Look at most German and French cities, they have trams through their main squares. It gives everywhere a European finish to it.

If only the trams had bells instead of horns though...

Also, people don't get "trampled" in Piccadilly Gardens! It's a very busy space, made to feel better with the trams. Admittedly, that area where the trams come out of Market Street could do with a tidy up and I severly discourage the markets there, makes the whole place very cluttered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_rat View Post
They should get rid of the grass entirely and turn it into Piccadilly Square.

It pretty much is a square now rather than a gardens. Feels a lot like a square at least. I'd like to see a pond with fountains in the middle and lots more trees. Oh, and the Berlin Wall gotten rid of.

And also, those huge floodlights near Market St.. get rid! I'd like more Victorian-Style lamposts in Manchester.

All the projects, events and developments in Manchester. Updated every month!
JUNE 2012 UPDATE COMING SOON!!!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1484027

VB'S Manchester Transport Maps
... as featured on ProjectMapping.co.uk

All of my rail and Metrolink maps past present and future in one place. Here.

Be sure to check out DeanUK's Metrolink Forum!!
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #18544
Altfish

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
Piccadilly Gardens was a drug enthused playground and hiding place for Manchesterís homeless, drunks and crooks. Incidents of crime were very high. Surrounding amusment arcades, pubs, convenient bus station and a multitude if park benches did not help matters. It was also extremely dated and created more of a barrier than the current design.
I still don't like that concrete wall.
Altfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #18545
Futurelink
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altfish View Post
I still don't like that concrete wall.
Agreed. That thing is disgusting. I'd rather be able to hear the nose from the buses than have to look at that horrible waste of space.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #18546
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1594

Hi All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Well no-one mentioned the 7th ro2? It could be December 8th, like Paris have already announced, but for Oldham they may be hoping for early June.

Possibly . . . . (but not definitely!)

Good picture of Falisworth Johnny U never know Johnny it might be 7th June when Oldham line openeds but sadly I don't win anything if it did open on 7th, Also them pictures it look like is at Freehold stop as it looks same at Freehold stop but saying that all the station on Oldham line look the same when u think about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/

Last edited by r02bapurdie; May 18th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #18547
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
# Ashton - is this the drawing of Stockport you mean? I wonder if it will eventually get there, by whichever route?

JdR

As we can see by the viaduct there is a lift with a spiral staircase going around it. Surely this is to assist interchange between tram, buses and train?
Ashtonian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #18548
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 906

Is Stockport Station actually on the Viaduct then?
ill tonkso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #18549
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Droylsden ain't happening until 2013 is it
is more likely that line to Droylsden will open in 2013 due to TMS but hopely line to Velopark could open at end of this years hopely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel100 View Post
Future Metrolink still says 2012 (I'm guessing late!), Ashton Winter 13/14.
I think line to Ashton could open as early as Winter 2013/14 like Sep to Nov 2013 time but saying that it probably opens in early 2014 knowing the Metrolink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
I have it noted down that the line to Rochdale (not the town centre, just the railway station) is due to open this year as well, is this still correct?
I do think they still what line to Rochdale (Rail station) to open this year but it start to look like it could be early 2013 when that happens but they could open line to Shaw & Crompton early then Rochdale but I can't seeing that happening.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/futuremet...hdale-line.asp
http://www.metrolink.co.uk/futuremet...ester-line.asp

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #18550
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertyboy View Post
I know. I'm not sure what the rationale was behind destroying Piccadilly Gardens - I guess it was to save on maintenance costs?
It's not working very well. They've spent on that stupid water feature and returfing time and time again.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #18551
Rip the Mancunian
Sir Lord Baltimore

Likes (Received): 18

I'm a fan of the finished St Peters Sq design.
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #18552
Metropacer
Banana-free zone

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Is Stockport Station actually on the Viaduct then?
At viaduct height, but a bit further south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
JdR

As we can see by the viaduct there is a lift with a spiral staircase going around it. Surely this is to assist interchange between tram, buses and train?
You can find a load more (including maps) from this old masterplan here: http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/...OCUMENT_NO=161

Page 37 reads:
Proposing the creation of a transport hub for bus and tram adjacent to Mersey Square, the masterplan also seeks to reinforce connections to the rail station, thereby creating a principal arrival point into Stockport and better integration of rail passengers into the town centre.

Various options for linking the interchange to the rail station may be considered including a lift from the interchange to the A6, from which access to the rail station would be easier, or possibly provision of a regular shuttle bus. However, a future aspiration identified in the masterplan is the development of a moving walkway (travelator) link between the interchange and the rail station.
And about Metrolink:
In the long term, the masterplan recommends that land on the northern side of Heaton Lane also be brought forward for development to enable the new Metrolink / bus lane to cross Heaton Lane and turn east onto the proposed east -west transport corridor. Running parallel to the motorway along the alignment of Great Egerton Street, this would serve development at Princes Street and on towards Portwood to the east.
Metropacer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #18553
Chorlton Bloke
Mithered in Morrisons

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurelink View Post
Agreed. That thing is disgusting. I'd rather be able to hear the nose from the buses than have to look at that horrible waste of space.
Trouble is that knocking it down would leave the cafes up against the other side a bit exposed!
Chorlton Bloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #18554
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton Bloke View Post
Trouble is that knocking it down would leave the cafes up against the other side a bit exposed!
Keep the wall but do something with it. A mural or a mosaic, but not graffitied concrete. Where the tram platform is there could be a mural of the old and new trams and or even a large map and the yellow dots on..... further along the wall could have some mosiac on or possibly something like the older Trafford Park mural only a smaller version proclaiming what the area has to or used to offer.

Or even cheaper, ivy growing up or down it and some hanging baskets sponsered by City Centre shops which is the easiest / cheapest solution.
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #18555
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton Bloke View Post
Never heard of open plan?
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #18556
WatcherZero

Ivy is not suited to public areas, its poisonous to touch or ingest and kids wont know that.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #18557
mackenziesoley

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortownman View Post
Keep the wall but do something with it. A mural or a mosaic, but not graffitied concrete. Where the tram platform is there could be a mural of the old and new trams and or even a large map and the yellow dots on..... further along the wall could have some mosiac on or possibly something like the older Trafford Park mural only a smaller version proclaiming what the area has to or used to offer.

Or even cheaper, ivy growing up or down it and some hanging baskets sponsered by City Centre shops which is the easiest / cheapest solution.
Nothing wrong with a green wall. would make it look so much better.
mackenziesoley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #18558
Alex_L33

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
Also, people don't get "trampled" in Piccadilly Gardens! It's a very busy space, made to feel better with the trams
I was talking about the grass not the people! - it always looks very thin and worn due to the number of people walking over it (although that is what it is for of course)

I agree that the trams are good for livening up a public space - I just think it's a shame that we can't have a bit more foliage at the same time. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome =]
Alex_L33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #18559
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Thanks for that fascinating document about Stockport, Metropacer- I had never seen the whole thing and will enjoy perusing it when I get a minute. One suspects the Met will come to Stockport one way or another eventually.

Oh, and welcome to this thread, BTW!!

As to The Wall, it wouldn't be so bad if it was all glass or you could see through it. Put some big windows in the other side of the cafes, knock the remainder down or put windows in that also, and plenty of vertical greenery, like at Failsworth or Man City on Phase 3. That would be nicer, and quite interesting.

Speaking of greenery, here's a load of extra photos of the Oldham line training/testing at South Chadderton. Apologies for the somewhat obsessive deluge of pix but I have been waiting over 20 years for these moments!!

The tramstop seen from its Eastern approach :-

Seen from the Western approach :-

South Chaddeh - the tramstop in a park!

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #18560
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Quote:

Speaking of greenery, here's a load of extra photos of the Oldham line training/testing at South Chadderton. Apologies for the somewhat obsessive deluge of pix but I have been waiting over 20 years for these moments!!

The tramstop seen from its Eastern approach :-

South Chaddeh - the tramstop in a park!

Good picture at South Chaddy Johnny Do u know what it was saying on front of tram Johnny as to me it look like it was saying St Werburghs Road via Victoria but I'm unsure?

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: