daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1
TORONTO

Likes (Received): 1

✈ | EK/EY/FZ/G9/GF/IY/KU/QR/RJ/RT/SV/WY | Middle East-Based Carriers

Emirates, Qatar Airways to place orders for up to 120 aircraft
Emirates News Agency (WAM) - 01/06/2005

Emirates and Qatar Airways the two fast-growing Gulf-based carriers are set to announce a number of firm orders that could add up to somewhere between 100 to 120 aircraft, aviation officials said.

The announcement will be made at the forthcoming Paris Air Show to be held from June 13 to 19, according to a Gulf News report from Tokyo.

While Emirates is set to order a combination of A350s and Boeing's ultra-long range B777-200LRs, Qatar Airways is set to order as many as 50 to 60 B787s.

Following Emirates' recent revelation, Qatar Airways is also set to sign a major firm order in Paris. Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways' chief executive said on Monday, "Yes, we will make a major announcement at the Paris Air Show. I am not at liberty to reveal anything further, but it is going to be big." This would be the biggest shift for all-Airbus fleet operator Qatar Airways. Fifty B787s would cost the airline more than $6.25 billion at list price.

More than 300 officials representing 265 airlines and companies gathered in Tokyo to assess the health of the global aviation industry at the 61st annual general meeting of IATA. Airbus and Boeing officials were seen making last-minute efforts on possible orders. An aviation official close to these negotiations told Gulf News that Boeing's 787 Dreamliner has lost out against its new rival as Emirates has decided on Airbus A350.

"Emirates has decided on A350, not the B787," he said.

Airline officials kept mum on the details of the announcement.

They hinted that it could split its firm orders and keep some reserved for Dubai Airshow.

"We might make an announcement at the Paris Air Show, we might also make another announcement at Dubai Airshow later this year," said Tim Clark, president of Emirates airline, without giving any more details. "We are talking to both the manufacturers on our future requirements."

TORONTO

Highcliff liked this post
TORONTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #2
MVL318

Likes (Received): 0

QATAR AIRWAYS ORDERS UP TO 60 A350S

QATAR AIRWAYS ORDERS UP TO 60 A350S
Qatar Airways announced today its decision to order up to 60 A350s becoming the largest customer for the aircraft so far.
Speaking at a press conference at the air show, Sheik Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Chief Executive Officer, declared: The order was made after a very detailed evaluation and a very extensive analysis. In the end, the commonality with the A330s already in our fleet and the advantage of the A350 in terms of seat mile cost were the decision factors.

The aircraft will complement the A330s and A340s in Qatars fleet and provide the airline with enhanced range and superior flexibility for missions ranging form short-haul regional routes to long haul routes to America.

The order is evaluated at 10.6 billions US dollars. The A350s, a mix of A350-800s and 900s are planned for delivery from mid-2010 to 2015.

Doha based Qatar Airways is the largest all-Airbus operator in the Middle East. It boasts a growth rate of 40 per cent year on year. Qatar is also about to introduce in its fleet the A340-600 high gross weight for which it is launch customer.

Source

This is some good news for airbus, isn't it.
Also for boeing there is some good news:

Qatar did also ordered 20 777's

source
MVL318 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #3
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 471

the 777 must be the stop gap planes till the real deal arrives
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #4
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^WTF are you talking about? The A350 and the 777 serve two completely different markets.
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

^Relax man!
And yes, you are right... Qatar is buying the 777's (looks like the most part will be 777-300ER's.. and probably also some 772LR's for ultra-long haul) which are bigger planes than the 350's.
Well, the 777-200 and the A350-900 will have aproximatly the same capacity, but the 777-300's are considerably bigger. It's another market... not to fill the gap before the 350's arrival as you said SA BOY.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #6
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

I was taken aback by the absurdity of the idea spending $4B on a "stop gap" Even a US airline wouldn't do that.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Obviously!

As for the US airline remark... I would say that in this days, middle east carriers seem to have alot more money to spend on planes than big US or european airlines...
This order by Qatar is huge!! 80 wide body planes! 350's and 777's!!
And i'm not even going to talk about emirates.
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #8
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 25

^ oh please do talk abt emirates.. hehe

Qatar and Emirates are expanding fast.. but i am talking w/out stats here. does anyone has the figures to show the 'explosive-growth' those two are experiencing.. cos stms i feel, like u stated above 'mid east carriers seem to have a lot more money..' and their buying spree does look like one of their marketing strategies.
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #9
griftre

from what i've heard on the news, emirates will not make an order announcement in the paris airshow... who knows???
griftre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #10
KrYpNoTiC
WASSSSUPP!!!

Qatar airways and many other middle east airlines are way too ambitious. Especially emirates, 50 A380's now cmon thats enough to take over singapores network
KrYpNoTiC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #11
musang
abed

they've 2b ambitious, i supposed.
i mean, their homebase is rather inadequate, thus the vision of becoming global players.. then again, i cud b wrong, it is perhaps with the perception that 'we have $$ and who cares what others say?' i guess..
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #12
Nephasto
Enlightened user

^Their base is not inadequate.
Dubai is in the "center of the world". I mean by that that you can fly to virtualy any place on earth nonstop from dubai.
Even to the farthest places from dubai like new zealand, and central and south america. Emirates has the planes (340-500 and probably going to order 777-200LR) to fly to all those places non-stop.

PS: Emirates won't annouce orders at the paris airshow as first expected.
They are waiting for the dubai airshow... in september i think.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #13
griftre

Quote:
Originally Posted by musang
they've 2b ambitious, i supposed.
i mean, their homebase is rather inadequate, thus the vision of becoming global players.. then again, i cud b wrong, it is perhaps with the perception that 'we have $$ and who cares what others say?' i guess..
yup, maybe for now, but wait till the Dubai Airport Expansion is completed next year, and and the New Doha International Airport... I say that airport is huge, really... and good design btw.
griftre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #14
musang
abed

^ comparatively, within the region, yes.

but i was just wondering the pax load for their flights. who make up most of the pax, locals or foreigners?
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by musang
i mean, their homebase is rather inadequate...
Dubai Int'l Airport, which can only operate one runway at a time, will be replaced within 10 years by Jebel Ali International Airport, a six parallel runway MONSTER of an airfield capable of handling 120 million passengers per year!

The $4 Billion Dubai Int'l expansion believe it or not is just a temporary solution. Eventually that airport will most likely be demolished.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #16
musang
abed

i know that, there is plan to have the two connected by a subway.

now, coming back to Qatar (this thread is abt QA in the first place) which has a low population base (that is what i actually meant by homebase, pardon for not clarifying that earlier), how can such support the need for speedy expansion program of the airline? i mean u can have a monster among the giants, but if you do not connect well and have enuf pax capacity, how is that viable?
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #17
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ I guess that's the idea behind building a brand new Doha International Airport and buying up a whole lot of aircraft. Qatar Airways has to invest heavily to attract more business.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #18
New York Yankee

Emirates Airline To Order 24x 773ER, 10x 772LR, 8x 777LRF

As you read it, EK have placed an order for 42 Tripple seven's.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #19
Desven
...und so halt!

Likes (Received): 12

how much money do they have?!didn't they already order 45 A380s??
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #20
New York Yankee

yeah, and they have allready 30x 773ER on the order!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae