daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:30 PM   #2001
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Not a bad year for EY. Still much smaller than EK (45 million passengers) and Qatar (24 million). I wonder why they didn't report their load factor though or their profits. They said they were profitable in 2013 but never after that so clearly they are still unprofitable.

82% of traffic with most on connecting flights is very very high.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; February 3rd, 2015 at 05:36 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2002
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Qatar Airways has emerged as the owner of a 10% stake in International Airlines Group (IAG), the owner of British Airways (BA) and Iberia.


Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31063157
Interesting. How will it benefit them though? QR doesn't need more slots at LHR, and can fly to the US directly themselves. And QR already has an extensive network in Europe and Asia. The main weak link in their route network is Australia, and they can't increase flights there unless the bilateral changes. Perhaps BA can start flying from LHR - DOH - SYD instead of the current LHR - SIN - SYD.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:02 PM   #2003
killerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 1120

This is QR...they saw Etihad buying stakes of all those airlines and decided to do the same!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2004
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11257

Here's what I saw at SFO yesterday... preparing for its 16-hour-plus marathon to Dubai:

Emirates A380-800 (reg. A6-EEP)


IMG_1367 by anthonynachor, on Flickr
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine ForumsSF Bay Area ForumsBay Area TransitNEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: FlickrPhotobucketInstagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

patel2897, WingTips, Rokto14 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #2005
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Perhaps BA can start flying from LHR - DOH - SYD instead of the current LHR - SIN - SYD.
You opening a can of worms. BA won't benefit by moving their kangaroo route to go via DOH, the current arrangements work therefore doesn't make an sense for a change.
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #2006
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

__________________

patel2897 liked this post
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2007
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Exclusive: Emirates Airlines gets pitch for 100 Boeing 747-8s
In a pitch designed to save the Boeing 747-8 and simultaneously kill the prospect of an Airbus A380neo, Emirates Airlines has received a pitch for 100 of the slow-selling Boeing, two sources familiar with the situation tell Leeham News and Comment (LNC). This is isn’t yet a formal proposal, as far as we know.
Tim Clark, president of Emirates, said he would buy 100 A380s if Airbus re-engined and launched the neo. The neo would use the new Rolls-Royce Advance engine, according to two different sources. Neither Pratt & Whitney nor GE Aviation, which dominate the current A380 engine market share with its joint venture Engine Alliance GP7200, are interested in developing a new engine for the prospective A380neo, according to public statements by both companies. PW doesn’t offer an engine alone that could be adapted to the size required for the A380neo. GE’s GEnx engine, used on the Boeing 787, is in the thrust and size bracket but would only improve the efficiency with 4-5%, thus not worth the change effort. The smaller version of the GEnx is on the 747-8.
Killing the A380neo would also delay Rolls-Royce’s next generation of engines and help retain GE’s dominance in the large engine market. Pratt & Whitney’s parent, United Technologies, has already said it won’t develop a large engine version of the Geared Turbo Fan any time in the foreseeable future.
According to our two sources, talks with Emirates are not with Clark but with the chairman of the airline, Sheik Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Read more: http://leehamnews.com/2015/02/04/exc...boeing-747-8s/
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

patel2897 liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #2008
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր
 
bagus70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surabaya. The City of Hot Headed Heroes.
Posts: 3,909
Likes (Received): 891

The stake seemed to be really high: one side's victory means other's death.
__________________
Visit Indonesia and enjoy the railway tour, volcanoes tour such as visit to mount Bromo and Ijen. Click: http://www.indonesianrailwaytour.com/
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #2009
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

Etihad Airways B787-9 Dreamliner Inaugural Dusseldorf to Abu Dhabi in First Class

__________________

patel2897 liked this post
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #2010
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

Etihad Airways Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Inaugural Flight from Abu Dhabi to Dusseldorf in First Class

__________________

patel2897 liked this post
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #2011
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

Complete Etihad First Class Apartment Experience onboard A380 from London to Abu Dhabi

__________________

fieldsofdreams liked this post
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #2012
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

EK would never order the B747-8. The A380-800 is more efficient and bigger than a B747-8 and even the A380 is not big enough for EK which is why they're pushing for A380-900 neo. There is no place in EK's fleet for the B747-8. The B777-9 covers the 350-400 seat routes, and the A380 caters for the 500+ seat routes. And the upcoming order for the A350 or B787 should cater for 250-300 seat routes which would overall make EK's fleet quite flexible.

I wouldn't be surprised if EK is spreading this news in order to threaten and pressure Airbus into making the A380 neo. If I were in charge of Airbus though, I wouldn't bother with a new A380. 100 orders from only one airline (which has a dangerous business model) is too risky of an investment.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #2013
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
You opening a can of worms. BA won't benefit by moving their kangaroo route to go via DOH, the current arrangements work therefore doesn't make an sense for a change.
BA would benefit a lot. Right now they have just one daily B777 to SYD. They could easily fly via DOH to SYD, MEL BNE and PER and get feed from QR's of flights in Europe, Africa and Asia (similar to the EK/Qantas partnership). That way EK, Qantas, and SIA can lose some of the market share they enjoy. And Hamad Airport is a much more of a comfortable airport to transfer through then gigantic DXB so EK would be hurt the most from such a partnership.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

killerk liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #2014
killerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 1120

I was thinking the same.....A way to get back at Qantas for routing their flights through Dubai and since Virgin Australia (white elephant or in aussie terms white kangaroo) is partly owned by Etihad...
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #2015
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
BA would benefit a lot. Right now they have just one daily B777 to SYD. They could easily fly via DOH to SYD, MEL BNE and PER and get feed from QR's of flights in Europe, Africa and Asia (similar to the EK/Qantas partnership). That way EK, Qantas, and SIA can lose some of the market share they enjoy. And Hamad Airport is a much more of a comfortable airport to transfer through then gigantic DXB so EK would be hurt the most from such a partnership.
Yes, fed via QR's network, however this would only threaten BA's position as a major O&D hub as BA funnel their passengers via LHR. Secondly, BA have already come out advising the kangaroo route is performing well since the B77W equipment was introduced.

I understand from QR perspective which would open up new Australian cities but I'm sure they'll prefer to operate their own metal to SYD, BNE eventually.
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #2016
noir-dresses
bling bling
 
noir-dresses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto-Zagreb-Zrce-Dubai
Posts: 5,745
Likes (Received): 2346

I can't see EK being impacted much by this potential move, maybe some European, or Asian airlines yes.

In a year or two EK will have almost every flight to Australia using A380 metal, and a far superior Mega hub in DXB connected to every corner of the globe with multiple frequencies daily. Doha, and Heathrow airports are yesterdays news.

EKs going for largest airline in the world, and DXB/DWC are on the verge of taking the crown away from Atlanta.

Doha needs to expand they're airport first, and foremost.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #2017
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Exclusive: Emirates Airlines gets pitch for 100 Boeing 747-8s
In a pitch designed to save the Boeing 747-8 and simultaneously kill the prospect of an Airbus A380neo, Emirates Airlines has received a pitch for 100 of the slow-selling Boeing, two sources familiar with the situation tell Leeham News and Comment (LNC). This is isn’t yet a formal proposal, as far as we know.
Tim Clark, president of Emirates, said he would buy 100 A380s if Airbus re-engined and launched the neo. The neo would use the new Rolls-Royce Advance engine, according to two different sources. Neither Pratt & Whitney nor GE Aviation, which dominate the current A380 engine market share with its joint venture Engine Alliance GP7200, are interested in developing a new engine for the prospective A380neo, according to public statements by both companies. PW doesn’t offer an engine alone that could be adapted to the size required for the A380neo. GE’s GEnx engine, used on the Boeing 787, is in the thrust and size bracket but would only improve the efficiency with 4-5%, thus not worth the change effort. The smaller version of the GEnx is on the 747-8.
Killing the A380neo would also delay Rolls-Royce’s next generation of engines and help retain GE’s dominance in the large engine market. Pratt & Whitney’s parent, United Technologies, has already said it won’t develop a large engine version of the Geared Turbo Fan any time in the foreseeable future.
According to our two sources, talks with Emirates are not with Clark but with the chairman of the airline, Sheik Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Read more: http://leehamnews.com/2015/02/04/exc...boeing-747-8s/
Hmmm... if it were me, I would advice EK to continue on with the A380 instead of diversifying further with the B747-8 because it will keep its ultra-jumbo fleet consistent, and it should invest instead in more B777s to maintain aircraft commonality (not to mention, fleet simplification). The biggest challenge remains: what aircraft types would best replace its aging A330s and A340s?
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine ForumsSF Bay Area ForumsBay Area TransitNEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: FlickrPhotobucketInstagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #2018
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Hmmm... if it were me, I would advice EK to continue on with the A380 instead of diversifying further with the B747-8 because it will keep its ultra-jumbo fleet consistent, and it should invest instead in more B777s to maintain aircraft commonality (not to mention, fleet simplification). The biggest challenge remains: what aircraft types would best replace its aging A330s and A340s?
It's airline tactics flirt with Boeng but in the end they'll get what they want from Airbus the A380NEO / A380-900
with 150+ B777s, 140 A380s on the books & I'd say it's a matter of time till EK order a B787 or A330NEO for the thinner routes.
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #2019
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

[IMG]http://i57.************/mhrk2q.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Etiha...SCD/2587804/L/

[IMG]http://i59.************/25frkb5.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Etiha...ner/2587940/L/
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Last edited by EK413; February 7th, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #2020
alb92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 185
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
BA would benefit a lot. Right now they have just one daily B777 to SYD. They could easily fly via DOH to SYD, MEL BNE and PER and get feed from QR's of flights in Europe, Africa and Asia (similar to the EK/Qantas partnership). That way EK, Qantas, and SIA can lose some of the market share they enjoy. And Hamad Airport is a much more of a comfortable airport to transfer through then gigantic DXB so EK would be hurt the most from such a partnership.
Could benefit BA more than what QF benefit from EK. QF flights do get feed from EK, but most of EK feed goes to the EK flights to MEL and SYD, while in the case of BA to SYD, all QR feed would go that direction.

And QR are big, they could potentially have enough feed for BA services to BNE, and possibly additional SYD, MEL and PER services (eventually). Interesting prospect, which doesn't rule out BA keeping LHR-SIN-SYD.
alb92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium