daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #2101
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
I flew on it about a week ago from DWC to DOH, they said the airframe was being used temporarily. The green interior looked really good.
Um, were you referring to the aircraft livery by any chance?
Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #2102
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuit View Post
Um, were you referring to the aircraft livery by any chance?
No the green carpet, and curtains had a very nice shade of green, they worked very well together. The seats seemed to be a dark black leather if I remember.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #2103
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Quote:
No the green carpet, and curtains had a very nice shade of green, they worked very well together. The seats seemed to be a dark black leather if I remember.
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood me. You said they were using a temporary airframe. That can't be right, surely? I think you meant they were using a temporary aircraft livery or interior instead. An airframe is the mechanical structure of an aircraft.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2104
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Iranian airline to fly eight aircraft despite US sanctions

http://www.albawaba.com/business/ira...nctions-702596

Quote:
Iran’s Mahan Air will begin Wednesday using the first of eight Airbus aircraft purchased recently on the international route, the Fars news agency reported.

The A340 passenger plane will be initially used on the Tehran-Dubai and Tehran-Istanbul routes before being operated in long-haul journeys, it said.

Mahan Air flew the eight A340 and A320 used planes to Mehrabad and Imam Khomeini airports in Tehran and Mashhad airport last month.

The US government imposed sanctions on two aviation companies in Iraq and the UAE for selling the commercial aircraft to Iran.

The Treasury Department designated Iraq-based Al-Naser Airlines and Sky Blue Bird Aviation in the United Arab Emirates as sanctions violators.

Mahan Air is under US sanctions as of October 2011 but Iran has rejected any possible seizure of the planes.

Mohammad Khoda-Karami, deputy head of Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization (CAO), has said US sanctions against Iran's aviation industry lack any legal basis.

“Iran will never wait for the permission of any country for exercising its legitimate rights," he said.

Fars said all the eight aircraft have been registered by Iran Civil Aviation Organization and Mahan Air and have legal identification numbers for operation.

The news agency said the remaining seven aircraft are currently being painted and prepared for flight.

Mahan Air is Iran’s second carrier, and along with flag carrier Iran Air, is working to rebuild the country’s aging commercial fleet which has suffered a series of aviation mishaps.

Head of the Iran Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Ali Reza Jahangirian has said Iran needed to buy up to 500 passenger planes in the next 10 years to renovate its fleet.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #2105
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Gulf subsidies row in focus at annual airline CEO meeting

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102734100

Quote:
BERLIN, June 4 (Reuters) - A row between U.S. and Gulf carriers over alleged subsidies will be in the spotlight along with aviation safety in the wake of the Germanwings crash when the airline industry gathers for its annual meeting next week.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) meeting will kick off on Sunday in Miami amid an increasingly bitter row as three U.S. airlines allege Gulf carriers have received more than $40 billion in unfair subsidies. They have called on the U.S. government to review the Open Skies policy that authorized commercial flights between the United States and Qatar and the United Arab Emirates over a decade ago.

The allegations by Delta Air Lines Inc, United and American Airlines, rejected by Etihad, Emirates and Qatar Airways, have also found backing among some European carriers, notably Lufthansa and Air France-KLM.

The Dutch government said last month it would temporarily stop granting new slots at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport to Gulf airlines, promising a tougher line against possible "unfair competition" from the Middle East.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #2106
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuit View Post
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood me. You said they were using a temporary airframe. That can't be right, surely? I think you meant they were using a temporary aircraft livery or interior instead. An airframe is the mechanical structure of an aircraft.
I intentionally booked a Qatar Airways flight from DWC via DOH to FRA so I could fly on the A350-900.

I was kind of scratching my head when I noticed my first leg from DWC to DOH was a AL MAHA A320 knowing Qatar Airways are going to be using these air frames in the KSA. I also knew this was Qatar Airways Saudi subsidiary that was going to have a base in KSA.

The Qatar Airways flight attendant's were dressed in they're typical dress so I asked them why are we flying on this air frame tonight, and the purser replied the air frame was being used temporarily. So your guess is as good as mine why the air frame was temporary being used that night.

Kutsuit, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2107
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Quote:
I intentionally booked a Qatar Airways flight from DWC via DOH to FRA so I could fly on the A350-900.

I was kind of scratching my head when I noticed my first leg from DWC to DOH was a AL MAHA A320 knowing Qatar Airways are going to be using these air frames in the KSA. I also knew this was Qatar Airways Saudi subsidiary that was going to have a base in KSA.

The Qatar Airways flight attendant's were dressed in they're typical dress so I asked them why are we flying on this air frame tonight, and the purser replied the air frame was being used temporarily. So your guess is as good as mine why the air frame was temporary being used that night.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about something else LOL. Never mind.
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #2108
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

I just found out now how the 2-class Emirates A380 seating layout will be like...

Upper deck: 192 seats
J: 1-2-1 config, 64 seats (Rows 6-16, 19-23)
Y: 2-4-2 config, 128 seats (Rows 24-39)

Lower deck: 470 seats
Y: 3-4-3 config, 470 seats (Rows 41-88)

Total number of seats: 662 seats

Dang, that's so many seats that it can help reduce congestion on the airline's most popular routes.

Source: Airline Route Twitter

San Carlos San Bruno San Mateo Saint Helena Ross

Rokto14 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #2109
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

1. Qatar Airways CEO Threatens Oneworld Exit in Dispute With American Airlines

Akbar Al Baker says American is ‘impeding our growth’

http://www.wsj.com/articles/qatar-ai...nes-1433812547

Quote:
MIAMI—Qatar Airways Chief Executive Akbar Al Baker has threatened to exit the oneworld alliance because of actions that he said were taken by fellow member American Airlines Group Inc. to block his carrier’s business.

“There is no point in us being in oneworld if an airline that invited us, hosted us in America to sign the entry to oneworld, is today going against us,” Mr. Al Baker said in an interview on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association’s annual meeting. American is “impeding our growth,” he said.

Qatar Airways is one of a trio of Middle East carriers facing resistance from some rivals in the U.S. and Europe over their aggressive growth. The three major U.S. carriers— Delta Air Lines Inc., United Continental Holdings Inc. and American Airlines—and Europe’s Air France-KLM and Deutsche Lufthansa AG have urged their governments to block further market access to the Mideast airlines they accuse of benefiting from unfair state aid. Qatar, Emirates Airline and Etihad Airways deny the charge.

Mr. Al Baker said American wasn’t providing information on its bookings system to allow the proper transfer of passengers. He also said the U.S. carrier was blocking terminal access at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport for the Airbus Group SE A350 jetliner the Doha-based airline plans to use as its second flight to the hub.

An American Airlines spokesman said, “The situation at JFK is unrelated to our trade dispute. We have constraints on our gate space at JFK and are reviewing Qatar’s request, and it is extremely difficult to accommodate.” Other alliance members have made a similar request and couldn’t be accommodated, he added.
2. Qatar Airways to launch Abha service

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...h-abha-service

Quote:
Qatar Airways will commence a four-times weekly service to Abha, Saudi Arabia in September.

The Gulf carrier will roster an A320 in a two-class configuration, with 12 seats in business class and 132 in economy, on to the route.

The airline currently operates 82 weekly flights to seven cities in Saudi Arabia.

From September 2, outbound service QR1212 will depart Doha at 1310 and arrive in Abha at 1540, with return service QR1213 leaving Abha at 1640 and landing in Doha at 1855.

Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker said: "We have been steadily growing our presence and services to Saudi Arabia. As our eighth destination, Abha will bring additional flexibility for passengers connecting from Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas.

"From Abha, passengers will be able to travel seamlessly through our Doha hub to popular cities such as London, Paris, Bangkok, Singapore, New York and Washington, and at the same time this will provide passengers travelling to Saudi Arabia the convenience of another gateway within the same country."

Last week, Qatar Airways announced it will launch A350 services to Philadephia, New York JFK and Boston next year (see news, June 1).
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #2110
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

1. Etihad Airways to sell its Aer Lingus stake

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015...ad-aer-lingus/

Quote:
Etihad Airways has agreed to sell its stake in Aer Lingus, its chief executive James Hogan has said.

Mr Hogan said that Etihad will sell its 4.99% stake in Aer Lingus, which is in the middle of a potential takeover bid by British Airways-parent International Airlines Group.

The airline's boss also said it had reached a deal to deepen its relationship with Air France-KLM.

Etihad and Air France-KLM will share codes on more flights starting this year, opening more European cities to the Abu Dhabi-based airline's customers.

Mr Hogan made his comments on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association's (IATA) annual meeting.

The moves announced by its CEO reflect Etihad's strategy to grow its route map through airline partnerships.

With codeshares on French domestic flights imminent, Etihad also is looking to add destinations via codeshares with Philippine Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and Malaysia Airlines, Hogan said.

"We're keen to maintain a relationship with IAG. Indications are that they're interested in doing so too," Mr Hogan said.
2. Edinburgh Airport launches daily Etihad service to Abu Dhabi

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-fife-33052268

Quote:
An airline has launched a new daily service from the Scottish capital to Abu Dhabi.

Etihad Airways' inaugural flight landed at Edinburgh Airport at 07:24.

Edinburgh is Etihad's first Scottish destination and its third departure point from the UK, alongside London Heathrow and Manchester.

It will offer connections onwards to a number of other destinations in the Middle East, Indian sub-continent, Asia and Australia.

The new route to the capital of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will be operated with an Airbus A330-200 aircraft, with a total of 22 seats in business class and 240 in economy.

Edinburgh Airport began the latest stage of its expansion earlier this year with the announcement of a 50m development.

A new immigration and baggage hall is to be built, which should triple the capacity for larger long-haul aircraft.

It is the second stage of a 150m programme agreed two years ago.

The first stage included a new security hall and a temporary arrivals hall to accommodate the Middle East routes.
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #2111
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Parliament to vote on proposed privatisation of Kuwait Airways on June 16

http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...ays-on-june-16

Quote:
The Kuwaiti parliament will vote next Tuesday on the proposed privatisation of flag carrier Kuwait Airways.

On Sunday, the government approved a new structure for the privatisation of Kuwait Airways, under which the state will own 75 per cent of the carrier.

“As per the current law, yes there is a 35 per cent for sale. However, yesterday [Sunday] there was a different approach by the government to keep 75 per cent with the government of Kuwait,” said Talal Al Tamimi, the head of strategic planning office at Kuwait Airways, on the sidelines of the International Air Travel Association annual general meeting in Miami.

“There is a big move by parliament to keep Kuwait Airways under the government.”

Rasha Al Roumi, the chairperson and managing director of Kuwait Airways said: “There is no sale so far. There is another session on June 16 for the parliament to vote and decide.”

Under the new proposal, approved by transport minister Issa Al Kandari, 20 per cent of the airline’s shares will be offered to Kuwaiti citizens, 5 per cent to current and retired employees, and the government will retain the rest, a statement on Kuwait’s news agency Kuna website said.

Previous proposals put the government’s stake at 20 to 40 per cent and allowed strategic investors to own up to 35 per cent.

Kuwait’s listed low-cost carrier Jazeera Airways was one of the investors said to be interested in the stake. Last month it had formally submitted a letter of intent to acquire 35 per cent of Kuwait Airways.

Kuwait’s parliament first approved a plan to privatise the loss-making Kuwait Airways in 2008, but the process has been repeatedly held up. Privatisation was initially delayed as the company planned to first restructure the airline.

Last December, Kuwait Airways’ ageing fleet finally received a boost with the delivery of the first of a series of leased Airbus A320s, its first new aircraft in 17 years.
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #2112
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

Lots of ME3 news today:

EK thinks the A350 is better than B787

EK to have 15 two class A380's

EY cancels 3 routes to Tbilisi, Yerevan, and Baku.

QR threatens to leave Oneworld because of actions by AA

QR plans to buy more stakes in other airlines

And QatarA340 on airliners.net has said that QR plans to close down its Al Maha subsidiary in Saudi Arabia before it even started operations, although this news isn't official yet.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

patel2897, firoz bharmal, iloveblr liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #2113
noir-dresses
bling bling

Final phase of Concourse D

http://daep.ae/press-release/final-p...f-concourse-d/

patel2897, iloveblr, firoz bharmal liked this post
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #2114
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Etihad ad on a Hong Kong Tram
By yh_lau2002 from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

patel2897, firoz bharmal liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #2115
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

Emirates to launch 5 weekly flights to Mashhad on 1st September
http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/a...ces-to-mashhad

patel2897, firoz bharmal liked this post
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #2116
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

Emirates 777-200LR (A6-EWJ) new Arsenal logojet carrying the team to Singapore for the Barclays Asia Trophy.
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #2117
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

EK087 landing at ZRH 12.07.2015

(Airbus A380 in the background, Boeing 737-800 in the foreground)

(own pictures)

patel2897, Rokto14, iloveblr liked this post
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #2118
British Republic

Likes (Received): 27

On Emirates now saying they prefer the A350-900 over the 787-10, well one wonders why they cancelled the order for 70 A350s (50 of which were for the A350-900 model) in the first place earlier this year?

Likewise if they do reorder the plane should FlyDubai order either 787s or A330neos to fill the gap between the EK A350s and FD 737s?

Ordering such aircraft would allow flights such as Dubai-Recife, Dubai-Salvador, Dubai-Windhoek, Dubai-Kaohsiung, Dubai-Busan, Dubai-Nagoya and Dubai-Surabaya to be possible. As well as allowing for increased capacity on FlyDubai flights which need additional seats but to the extent a EK A350 will end up bringing.
British Republic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #2119
noir-dresses
bling bling

EK retired they're last classic 777-200 today.

firoz bharmal liked this post
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #2120
racso380

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
EK retired they're last classic 777-200 today.
racso380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae