daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:13 PM   #2201
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

Kuwait Airways to make profit in two to three years

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/...o-three-years/

Quote:
KUWAIT: Kuwait Airways expects to make a profit within the next two to three years, its chief executive said yesterday, as it aims to cut costs and improve its operational efficiency. The airline’s losses for 2015 will be less than KD 20 million ($66.3 million), compared with KD 33 million in the previous year, Chief Executive Abdullah Al-Sharhan said. “In 2015, we aim to reduce some of the losses. We continuously improving,” he said. Kuwait’s government has approved plans to privatize the airline. Under the proposal, 20 percent of the airline’s shares would be offered to Kuwaiti citizens, five percent to current and retired employees, while the government would retain the rest. Sharhan said that parliament is expected to pass this plan in the next few months.

Sharhan also revealed some of the carrier’s present and future operations and expansion plans. “We intend to renew the current fleet with 12 aircraft from Airbus – five A330s and seven A320s – which should be executed during 2015 and 2016. By the end of 2016, we will start receiving 10 Boeing 777 aircraft till the mid of 2017. In 2019, we will start receiving 25 aircraft from Airbus including 15 A320 planes, which we will receive till 2021, and another 10 A350/900 aircraft from 2020 till 2022,” he pointed out.

“To execute this plan, we need to develop and enlarge the airport. We also need infrastructure and smart and spacious airports. In 2022, we will have 47 new aircraft in the fleet, both leased and bought. We expect to have the second terminal completed within 5 to 10 years, and in 18 months from now, the construction of a new airport for Kuwait Airways will start. As part of the expansion plan, we will build a maintenance base, 10 hangars and runways, a training center, and land service center. We are only waiting for the lands to start the projects,” stressed Sharhan.
Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:18 PM   #2202
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Emirates Airline's One Percenters

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-br...b_8330624.html

Quote:
The new, $20 million Emirates Airline TV commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston is generating a lot of buzz. If you haven't seen it, the spot opens with Ms. Aniston dreaming about being aboard a U.S. airline. She's in her bathrobe, asking three flight attendants about the location of the shower and the bar. They laugh, telling her those things aren't on board. Then she wakes from the dream, and she's on an Emirates A380, where, while sipping a martini, she describes her "nightmare" to the bartender. Cute, huh?

If you're Emirates, based in Dubai, Etihad from Abu Dhabi, or Qatar Airways from that country, you can install showers, butlers and bars on your A380s because your government owners deliver wheelbarrows of subsidy cash. A marketing manager for one of the Gulf airlines, who spent many years at a real carrier (e.g., one owned by private investors who expect financial diligence and profit) recently told our mutual friend that inside the executive offices of the Gulf carrier the omnipresent attitude is that "cost doesn't matter on anything." Real carriers like American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, or their European partners, and most other global companies must spend prudently. They don't have unlimited access to state treasuries.
Quote:
A little travel tip: if you're flying Emirates from, say, New York to Dubai, don't expect to use the shower if you're flying Economy or even in Business Class. Only 2.9 percent of the passengers on a three-class Emirates A380 have access to the shower - Ms. Aniston and the 13 others in First Class. The remaining 475 people, 97.1 percent, will need to bathe after landing - or make do with their moist towlettes. And the showers are only on their 65 behemoth A380s: if you do the numbers for the entire Emirates fleet, only about 1 percent of seats have shower access - no inflight bathing on their 777s nor A330s. The one percenters are privileged.
Quote:
Third, the handsome male flight attendant-slash-bartender to which Ms. Aniston confides her dream has blonde hair and an English accent. Although Emirates does hire some cabin crew from Europe, North America, and Australia/New Zealand, the vast majority are young women from poor countries - as are most of their staff on the ground (it's hard to find locals willing to load and unload bags when it's 140° F on the ramp in Dubai.) Staffing with expendable, low-paid workers is an integral part of the Gulf airlines' high quality/low cost business model. Unlike workers in the West, their employees cannot join a trade union or even enjoy basic worker due process. You mess up, you get sent home - and there are literally millions waiting to take your place (this reality allows Emirates and others to cynically crow about the tens of thousands of applications they receive every year.) And if you need a paycheck so you can send part of it home so your little brother in Manila can pay school tuition, or for mom and dad in Mumbai to buy food and have a mobile phone, you'll endure whatever is necessary.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:19 PM   #2203
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Has Emirates airline become arrogant?

http://www.kippreport.com/fcs/has-em...come-arrogant/

Quote:
“There is one guiding principle shared by all at Emirates: never do anything to compromise the quality of the customer experience.” And back in 2013, after SkyTrax – the international airline and airport review and ranking site – awarded Emirates the #1 spot at the World Airline Awards, it seemed to ring true.

Since then, however, the airline has appeared to have gone into a free fall.

In just 12 months, Emirates plunged three places to fourth spot in 2014, falling again this year to fifth place, below Turkish Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Singapore Airlines and Qatar Airways, in fourth to first place respectively.

With complaints regarding poor service and unprofessional dealings of passengers surfacing, ‘compromising quality’ is exactly what the airline has done, with both economy class and business class passengers feeling let down.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #2204
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

EK has been falling in quality for years, but the article basing their argument on Skytrax rankings is a joke. EK and QR have probably been winning every year because they bribe Skytrax. Everyone still knows the Asian airlines have the best service and the best hubs.

EK has been dropping in quality for a while. The cost of their extremely aggressive and fast expansion is bad service, and it will only get worse. Between the ME3, I find EY to be the best, but the new Doha airport is the best airport hub.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Kutsuit, iloveblr liked this post

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; October 24th, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #2205
Theizazo
Theizazo

Likes (Received): 179

The First Flight Report Video For The All New Oman Air 787 From Muscat To Salalah, Revealing The Onboard Product And Experience WY's New Dreamliner

Enjoy,

patel2897, Rokto14, Kutsuit liked this post
Theizazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #2206
Manazir

Likes (Received): 510

30th anniversary

A big 30th HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Emirates! Wishing my favorite airline EK all the best and more success in the future

My recently started Travel Blog

Seljuk liked this post
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #2207
Manazir

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
EK has been falling in quality for years, but the article basing their argument on Skytrax rankings is a joke. EK and QR have probably been winning every year because they bribe Skytrax. Everyone still knows the Asian airlines have the best service and the best hubs.

EK has been dropping in quality for a while. The cost of their extremely aggressive and fast expansion is bad service, and it will only get worse. Between the ME3, I find EY to be the best, but the new Doha airport is the best airport hub.
I flew EK couple of times lately (and so far, 14 times I've been on EK flights) and I was really satisfied with their service! In fact, I don't see much change in their service now compared to a few years back, in some aspects I think it got even better. Most people usually fly EK for their IFE and dining, which in my opinion, is the best thing about EK. What really bothers me though is the absence of mood lighting on their aircraft, especially 777s (not sure about others since mostly I flew on the 777s) and by mood lighting I don't mean the "sunrise"/"sunset" lightings they have already.

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #2208
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Emirates dropping to fifth place is really no big deal, and it definitely has nothing to be embarrassed of if Qatar, Cathy, Singapore, and Etihad are ahead of them in the Skytrax list because they're all top notch airlines.

All of the airlines have their ups, and downs, and inconsistency can be found any where.

I would by all means like to be on a Emirates A380 than a Cathy/Singapore/Etihad/Qatar A330/A340, or classic 777, or 747.

Emirates is in the midst of launching a whole new first class, and maybe business class package. Rumors are also buzzing of a new economy class as well.

Let's not forget that EK are a mega mover airline, and DXB is becoming a super heavy duty hub so obviously you lose the personal touch they had from before.

Doha airport is my favorite in the region just because it has the rest zones where I can relax for free, and not feel like I'm in a consumer in a shopping mall.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #2209
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4946

Birmingham Airport and Qatar Airways are proud to announce that new service between Birmingham and Doha will launch from 30th March 2016.

With eight flights a week, including two flights on Saturdays, passengers travelling to and from Birmingham will have access to convenient and seamless transfers at the airline’s state-of-the-art hub Hamad International Airport.

The announcement of this new route further strengthens Qatar Airways’ commitment to the UK regions, with Birmingham being the centre for the largest concentration of businesses outside of London, boasting 34,285 companies including over 700 international firms. Residents of Birmingham and the surrounding areas will be able to enjoy greater choice and convenience when travelling without the need to transfer through London.

The route will be operated by a Boeing 787 Dreamliner which has a two-cabin configuration, comprising of 22 seats in Business Class and 232 Economy Class seats. All seats include individual television screens, with Economy Class customers benefitting from a screen 10.6-inches wide, offering the latest inflight entertainment comprised of up to 2,000 options while experiencing the airline’s award-winning service. Every seat is an aisle seat in Business Class where passengers can catch up on sleep in a fully-flat bed or make productive use of their time utilising the large work surface area. Passengers can also stay connected while travelling with the option of Wi-Fi which is available throughout the aircraft.

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said: “We are delighted to announce Birmingham as Qatar Airways’ fourth destination in the United Kingdom from March 2016. This additional route strengthens Qatar Airways’ commitment to the regions across the UK and will create new commercial and leisure links between the city of Birmingham and the 152 destinations served by the airline.”

Birmingham Airport Chief Executive Officer, Paul Kehoe said: “This is fantastic news for both Birmingham Airport and the region, and is our tenth new airline to announce or launch this year. Not only will our passengers have the choice of flying with the award winning carrier to Doha’s state-of-the-art hub Hamad International Airport, they will have a choice of 152 destinations served by the airline, including South East Asia, China and Australasia.”

The departure times in both directions provide convenient, quick and seamless onward connections to 152 key business and leisure destinations across Qatar Airways' ever-expanding global network. Passengers can now take advantage of reduced journey times from Birmingham through to Asia, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and Africa with cities such as Mumbai, New Delhi, Bangkok and Hong Kong now easily accessible from the West Midlands.

The wonders of the Orient are that little bit closer to Birmingham with flights to Hong Kong taking a total of 17 hours including just a 2-hour transit time at Hamad International Airport. For those wishing to explore exotic Thailand, the journey from Birmingham will take 15 hours and 30 minutes with a 2-hour transit.

In Pakistan the airline serves seven destinations including Karachi, Multan, Faisalabad, Sialkot, Peshawar, Lahore and Islamabad. The airline has also recently announced two new destinations in Australia, Sydney and Adelaide, commencing in March and May 2016 respectively, in addition to the currently operated Perth and Melbourne services.

When flying with Qatar Airways passengers can look forward to a one-stop transfer at the airline’s hub Hamad International Airport (HIA), home of Qatar Airways. The airport houses one of the world’s largest and most luxurious Business Class lounges – the Al Mourjan Business Lounge - and also has over 40,000 square metres of retail space and restaurants that includes a selection of more than 70 retail and 30 food and beverage outlets.

The national airline of the State of Qatar was named the world’s best carrier at the 2015 Skytrax Awards earlier in June, marking the third time the airline has won this coveted accolade. The airline also won Best Business Class Airline Seat and Best Airline in the Middle East.

The schedule between Doha and Birmingham from 30th March 2016:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Doha (DOH) to Birmingham (BHX) departure 01.25 arrival 06.45
Birmingham (BHX) to Doha (DOH) departure 09.15 arrival 18.05

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
Doha (DOH) to Birmingham (BHX) departure 07.30 arrival 12.50
Birmingham (BHX) to Doha (DOH) departure 15.00 arrival 23.50

patel2897 liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #2210
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
I flew EK couple of times lately (and so far, 14 times I've been on EK flights) and I was really satisfied with their service! In fact, I don't see much change in their service now compared to a few years back, in some aspects I think it got even better. Most people usually fly EK for their IFE and dining, which in my opinion, is the best thing about EK. What really bothers me though is the absence of mood lighting on their aircraft, especially 777s (not sure about others since mostly I flew on the 777s) and by mood lighting I don't mean the "sunrise"/"sunset" lightings they have already.
I guess that's your experience, but there is no doubt that EK has problems. Lack of crew retention and experience is hurting them. And the J class hard product on most of their aircraft is outdated with its 2-3-2 configuration. They really need to change it and bring it up to date.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

iloveblr liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #2211
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Kuwait Airways seeks partners as expansion begins

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/...ansion-begins/

Quote:
DUBAI: Kuwait Airways is heading into an expansion phase which will include partnerships, following a restructuring plan that helped it cut losses, an executive at the state-owned airline said yesterday. “We have a whole plan until 2022 of different fleet leases, purchases … we’re restructuring our routes as we speak and reducing operational costs,” Kuwait Airways Chief Operating Officer Kamil Al-Awadhi told reporters. “We’re looking at partners … that would give more access and passengers,” he said, saying agreements could go beyond code shares, whereby airlines extend networks by selling tickets for flights operated by partners, and vice versa.

In November last year, Kuwait Airways agreed to purchase 10 Boeing 777-300s which it will start receiving in Nov 2016. Some of these will be used to replace retiring aircraft, while others will be used for expansion on long-haul routes. The airline may also exercise options to purchase five more planes. Kuwait Airways has made firm orders for Boeing 777s, Airbus A320neos and A350s and has options to buy more.

With an expanding fleet, the carrier has recently added 50 flights. It now has about 32 aircraft and is looking at long-haul destinations on all continents as part of its growth plan. Al-Awadhi also said the expansion of the flight network might include routes that will not go through Kuwait but fly between other countries, a practice which requires so-called fifth-freedom rights. “From 2018 it will be long-haul point-to-point … if you have the right freedoms, it doesn’t have to be from the Kuwaiti market,” he said.

Kuwaiti authorities will next month negotiate bilateral agreements for new routes the airline will launch, he said. Limited capacity at Kuwait International Airport has been a challenge for the carrier and its plans but the national carrier will move to a dedicated terminal by April 2017 to support its growth over the next five years, Awadhi said.

Kuwait announced plans for a KD 1.312 billion ($4.4 billion) terminal that would lift airport capacity to 25 million passengers annually, but it has been hit by delays after a retendering process. Construction of the dedicated Kuwait Airways terminal, with a capacity of four to six million passengers a year will start next month. A long-debated privatization plan stalled after the government revised plans that would have allowed a strategic investor to buy up to 35 percent of the airline. Parliament is expected to vote in the coming months on the new plan under which the government would retain 75 percent with the rest for Kuwaiti citizens, airline employees and retirees. – Reuters
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #2212
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2200

World Airport Awards 2015

If there is a problem with a business model it is likely not with EK or EY but with their main hub airports.

Qatar just got one. EY will have a new one shortly in Abu Dhabi but EK are almost maxed out and are many years away from a solution to that. Signs of stress are apparent at terminal 3 already.

http://www.worldairportawards.com/aw...rt_rating.html

Airport Rating 2015 Rating 2014 Rating Change

Doha 22 75 +53 ( what a difference a new airport makes )
Dubai 39 25 -14
Abu Dhabi 29 22 -7
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #2213
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Qatar Airways adds Birmingham route as fourth UK destination

http://dohanews.co/qatar-airways-add...k-destination/

Quote:
Qatar’s national carrier will begin daily flights to the British city of Birmingham starting March 30, 2016, making it airline’s fourth direct route from Doha to the UK.

The three other UK destinations currently served by Qatar Airways are London Heathrow, Manchester and Edinburgh.

A daily flight plus an extra service on Saturdays will operate on the route, which will be served by the carrier’s Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet.
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #2214
noir-dresses
bling bling

Emirates looking at Atlanta as Delta pulls out.

Delta is currently the only airline flying directly between the Gulf and Atlanta.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...-out-1.1609838

patel2897, sponge_bob liked this post
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #2215
iFlyMIA

Likes (Received): 137

No news on Emirates to MIA?

Hearing some rumors about Etihad. They are apparently looking to add MIA as the next US city of what rumors say. But we'll see.
iFlyMIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #2216
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

Etihad has mentioned that they don't plan to add any US destinations till 2017 (the same time the new midfield terminal opens)!! However they have been known to change plans more than once!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 04:31 AM   #2217
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post

Delta is currently the only airline flying directly between the Gulf and Atlanta.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...-out-1.1609838
Delta making a profit too, according to Emirates figures in that article.

I think that any major Gulf Carrier flying to Atlanta after Delta pull out of Dubai would risk starting a whole new global trade war. Especially with an election going all all next year in the US.

They would be best advised to leave it alone or leave it to Saudia to 'develop' .
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 05:28 AM   #2218
iFlyMIA

Likes (Received): 137

I believe EY is looking at IAH and MIA.
iFlyMIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:30 AM   #2219
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

I hope so.....Houston and Abu Dhabi are sister cities and given the kind of economies, the 2 cities have, that should have been an obvious choice. Also when you fly Emirates, one observes that many passengers getting down in UAE are Abu Dhabi bound, mostly oil and gas people!! Miami would be an obvious choice for its codeshare with AA and access to Latin America
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM   #2220
noir-dresses
bling bling

Two massive Emirates A380 jets will take to the skies this week, wearing special livery in support of United for Wildlife, a global collaboration that unites the efforts of the world’s leading wildlife charities in the fight against the illegal wildlife trade.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...11-03-1.609072

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZA9xVsPbpU

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae