daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation ğ Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #2341
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

On the flipside, Etihad has been operating an A320 over A319 to Belgrade. I hope the bigger bird is going to come one day.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #2342
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

Flydubai Boeing crash in Rostov-on-Don kills all 62 on board

Flydubai flight FZ981 has crashed in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don killing all 62 passengers and crew on board. The flight was en route from Dubai and crashed during a landing approach.

https://www.rt.com/news/336185-boein...-dubai-rostov/

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

patel2897 liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #2343
racso380

Likes (Received): 41

sad... really sad news...
racso380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:53 AM   #2344
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

1. Pilots ‘worked to death’: Flydubai whistleblower says fatigue-related crash predicted (RT EXCLUSIVE)

2. 'Emirates crews extremely fatigued': Exhausted pilots tell RT of disturbing conditions (EXCLUSIVE)

Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #2345
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

Падение Боинга FlyDubai в Ростове в моей обработке .... FlyDubai FZ981 crash at Rostov

Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #2346
Manazir

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuit View Post
1. Pilots ‘worked to death’: Flydubai whistleblower says fatigue-related crash predicted (RT EXCLUSIVE)

2. 'Emirates crews extremely fatigued': Exhausted pilots tell RT of disturbing conditions (EXCLUSIVE)
While the news of Flydubai pilots being exhausted could possibly be true, I wonder the credibility of the EK one. I know that EK takes the matter of safety very seriously so I really can't believe that all can be true.

My recently started Travel Blog

Last edited by Manazir; March 26th, 2016 at 11:58 PM.
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #2347
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
While the news of Flydubai pilots being exhausted could possibly be true, I wonder the credibility of the EK one. I know that EK takes the matter of safety very seriously so I really can't believe that all can be true.
EK apparently does the same thing or at least that's what the pilots on pprune always say.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old March 28th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #2348
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
EK apparently does the same thing or at least that's what the pilots on pprune always say.
If that really is the case, then I can bet that EK is not the only one. Theres bound to be many other airlines out there with similar issues!

Old March 29th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #2349
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
If that really is the case, then I can bet that EK is not the only one. Theres bound to be many other airlines out there with similar issues!
I'm sure there are. The problem with EK is that its growing so fast, but there is currently a worldwide shortage of pilots. New pilots just aren't coming, so the workload for existing pilots is increasing. Many American pilots have also returned back to the States because US airlines are paying very high salaries again, so this is putting extra pressure on existing staff.

Basically, in the past year, EK has been having a pilot shortage problem and with the extra workload, staff are feeling over worked and motivation is low. In fact, many other airlines (like Turkish, Korean etc.) looking for pilots are coming to Dubai to try hire some of EK's pilots offering them better salary packages, more days off, and all sorts of perks.

The situation isn't just bad for pilots. I heard its even worse in EK's engineering department, and cabin crew have a very high attrition rate as well (but this isn't as big of a problem because it's a relatively low skilled job especially compared to pilots and engineers).

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

iloveblr liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #2350
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

It is the same situation in the US for truck drivers....hard to find any!!
killerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #2351
Manazir

Quote:
I'm sure there are. The problem with EK is that its growing so fast, but there is currently a worldwide shortage of pilots. New pilots just aren't coming, so the workload for existing pilots is increasing. Many American pilots have also returned back to the States because US airlines are paying very high salaries again, so this is putting extra pressure on existing staff.

Basically, in the past year, EK has been having a pilot shortage problem and with the extra workload, staff are feeling over worked and motivation is low. In fact, many other airlines (like Turkish, Korean etc.) looking for pilots are coming to Dubai to try hire some of EK's pilots offering them better salary packages, more days off, and all sorts of perks.

The situation isn't just bad for pilots. I heard its even worse in EK's engineering department, and cabin crew have a very high attrition rate as well (but this isn't as big of a problem because it's a relatively low skilled job especially compared to pilots and engineers).
I also heard EK needs at least 400 new pilots. Maybe they should make the recruiting process easier or something.

But seriously, is there no one to address or tackle these issues openly?!

Old March 30th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #2352
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
I also heard EK needs at least 400 new pilots. Maybe they should make the recruiting process easier or something.

They already have. I read somewhere they are hiring pilots with very little experience flying commercial aircraft. And after the tie-up with Malaysian Airlines, they are now hiring former MH pilots. MH pilots are already worried about their own job security, so they are probably happy to move to a more secure job. I also read somewhere that some of their recent pilot job fairs around the world have had very few attendees, so the word about working conditions at EK must be getting around in the pilot community.

QR has also had problems with their staff, with many pilots fearing the management. And its already been discussed how bad conditions are for crew members.

I don't believe EY has problems with their pilots, but that's because they are growing at a slower rate than EK and QR, and EY also pays more to their pilots. Then again, nobody is allowed to discuss anything about EY on the pprune forums, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is working for them.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old March 30th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #2353
Manazir

Quote:
They already have. I read somewhere they are hiring pilots with very little experience flying commercial aircraft. And after the tie-up with Malaysian Airlines, they are now hiring former MH pilots. MH pilots are already worried about their own job security, so they are probably happy to move to a more secure job. I also read somewhere that some of their recent pilot job fairs around the world have had very few attendees, so the word about working conditions at EK must be getting around in the pilot community.

QR has also had problems with their staff, with many pilots fearing the management. And its already been discussed how bad conditions are for crew members.

I don't believe EY has problems with their pilots, but that's because they are growing at a slower rate than EK and QR, and EY also pays more to their pilots. Then again, nobody is allowed to discuss anything about EY on the pprune forums, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is working for them.
Isn't that apparently a safety issue? I mean, less experienced pilots are more likely to cause a pilot error incident than more experienced ones...plus, I'm not sure how good are MH pilots generally...but I hope they are well up to the job at EK.

The way EK and QR has been growing and expanding, its easy to miss on important issues such as the well-being of their pilots and crews as well as passenger service. EY is doing a good job in this field in my opinion, as it can be seen from their passenger service as well.

Old March 31st, 2016, 04:48 AM   #2354
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Isn't that apparently a safety issue? I mean, less experienced pilots are more likely to cause a pilot error incident than more experienced ones...plus, I'm not sure how good are MH pilots generally...but I hope they are well up to the job at EK.

The way EK and QR has been growing and expanding, its easy to miss on important issues such as the well-being of their pilots and crews as well as passenger service. EY is doing a good job in this field in my opinion, as it can be seen from their passenger service as well.
I'm sure they get the proper training to fly aircraft. Every airline tries to ensure their pilots are well prepared for all situations. Plus EK has many flight simulators and flight trainers so I have no doubt pilot training is very good.

I have no doubt MH pilots are just as skilled as any other pilots. Even though they suffered two accidents (one which was not their fault), MH used to be a very good and professional airline and still are. I flew with them a few months ago, and although cabin crew motivation was low (and it clearly showed), the pilots seemed professional in their announcements and extra cautious, turning on the seat belt sign even during very light turbulence.

Many people say working for the ME3 is a nightmare, and cabin crew are treated terribly, but from my experiences, EY and QR crew have always seemed happy and better trained than EK crew. EK cabin crew are usually a hit or a miss even in J, and their lack of experience really shows.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old April 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #2355
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 51982

Boeing 777-3FX(ER) | A6-ETD | Etihad Airways by Pattharapong Sittirach, on Flickr

Landing RWY19R, Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi (VTBS / BKK)

Boeing 777-3FX(ER) | A6-ETQ | Etihad Airways by Pattharapong Sittirach, on Flickr

Boeing 777-3DZ(ER) | A7-BAT | Qatar Airways by Pattharapong Sittirach, on Flickr

patel2897, KWI, Orion602, passat1717, Seljuk and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; April 4th, 2016 at 11:42 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #2356
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Nope. Airlines want pilots to train themselves at their own expense and then they might hire them once they have a certain number of hours.

Pilots want a job with an airline that will train them at the airlines expense.

No possible solution will satisfy both pilots and airlines. However the pilot shortage is more critical for small airlines flying sub 100 seat frames than it is for airlines that mainly have 737-800 or A320 ( or larger) frames.

Thats because you need 2 staff in the cockpit whether you are flying 50 or 180 PAX and there are fewer passengers to pay those 2 salaries.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #2357
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
If crew fatigue proved to be a significant factor in contributing to the accident, then they should look at what's happened to Colgan Air flight 3407. Due to their fatigue, they forgot to retract the speed brake, which resulting the plane to lost speed and crashed into the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407
Old April 6th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #2358
m-man

Likes (Received): 601

Kuwait flight 422 was hijacked same day as yesterday April 5 1988 for 16 days, by hizboullah militia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwa...ays_Flight_422
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #2359
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

EK orders two more A380. Both aircrafts will be delivered in the 4th quartal of 2017 and will be in two-class configuration.

Quote:
From now until the end of 2017, Emirates will retire 30 older aircraft from our fleet. At the same time, to meet our growth expectations, we will receive delivery of 24 new Boeing 777, and 33 new A380 aircraft including these two additional A380 aircraft just ordered.
http://www.emirates.com/media-centre...a380-aircraft#
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #2360
m-man

Likes (Received): 601

Saudia unveils new budget carrier, flyadeal

Quote:
Saudia (SV, Jeddah) has announced the formation of an independent budget unit named flyadeal (Jeddah). Speaking in Jeddah, Saudia's director general, Saleh bin Nasser Al Jasser, said the LCC aims to launch operations in mid-2017 and will play a role in Saudia's 'SV2020' business plan.

No tentative network was disclosed but the carrier will reportedly turn to Airbus Industrie (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) and the A320neo Family for its operational requirements.

At present, the privately-owned flynas (XY, Riyadh) is Saudi Arabia's largest and only budget carrier operating a fleet of twenty-six A320-200s on internal Saudi routes as well as routes to Sudan, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Turkey, Kuwait, and Bahrain.

Start-up SaudiGulf Airlines (Dammam), which is still undergoing certification with the Saudi General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA), is expected to launch budget operations some time this year with initial flights to cover Dammam-Jeddah and Riyadh-Dubai. ....
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...er-flyadeal...

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae