daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #2541
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Tim Clark is intelligent, but it was his idea to purchase 140 A380's, and anyone can see that the plane is just too large for most routes.
You know I've thought about this many times EA380. Do you think all those airshow orders had a a lot to do with ego's, and less to do with a clear cut business strategy?

Let's hope one day in airline business management schools EK won't be a prime example of what not to do.

It's just not a dilemma of the fleet not being flexible at a time when you really need it to be, but also not having a clear cut plan of what airport/airports to use, and how.

My take would be reorganize the Emirates fleet ASAP, and move FlyDubai to DWC ASAP. No more airport expansion needed, and stop living in la la land.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2542
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4965

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
You know I've thought about this many times EA380. Do you think all those airshow orders had a a lot to do with ego's, and less to do with a clear cut business strategy?

Let's hope one day in airline business management schools EK won't be a prime example of what not to do.

It's just not a dilemma of the fleet not being flexible at a time when you really need it to be, but also not having a clear cut plan of what airport/airports to use, and how.

My take would be reorganize the Emirates fleet ASAP, and move FlyDubai to DWC ASAP. No more airport expansion needed, and stop living in la la land.
Wouldn't sending flydubai to DWC result in a lot of money being spent on a tiny airport?
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #2543
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Wouldn't sending flydubai to DWC result in a lot of money being spent on a tiny airport?
No because construction at DWC is already underway which will raise it's capacity to around 25 million pax. That's more than enough for FlyDubai, all that's needed is for the Metro link to be connected.
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #2544
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
No because construction at DWC is already underway which will raise it's capacity to around 25 million pax. That's more than enough for FlyDubai, all that's needed is for the Metro link to be connected.
But Dubai is already hurting for money, so why spend any on DWC right now? Wait a few years until conditions improve. That's what I was trying to say.
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #2545
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
They are hosting a BIIIIG Expo out around there in 2019 or 2020, the spend is already committed.

As for the mega airport plan where they were going to build 6 runways and terminals for 150m more PAX in DWC. I suspect that will never happen now, and it will probably become a decent sized LCC hub instead.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #2546
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
They are hosting a BIIIIG Expo out around there in 2019 or 2020, the spend is already committed.

As for the mega airport plan where they were going to build 6 runways and terminals for 150m more PAX in DWC. I suspect that will never happen now, and it will probably become a decent sized LCC hub instead.
I hope that's true. DXB is an amazing airport right in the middle of the city. I hate airports that are 100 miles outside the city.

Manazir, malpensa liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #2547
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I hope that's true. DXB is an amazing airport right in the middle of the city. I hate airports that are 100 miles outside the city.
The DWC megaterminal plus runways , trains etc would cost 40% OF GDP to build. Too big a risk at present.
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #2548
Manazir

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

Well they have been waiting for the moment to brag about being the only airline in the world to operate two widebody types of aircraft - B777 and the A380.

While their B777s are quite popular and very useful in most of the routes, they crossed a bit of the line by over-ordering A380s. I wonder what are they gonna do about the rest of A380s when they already operate them in most major routes! We have been noticing for the last couple of years that most Asian and European routes being replaced by A380s instead of B777. B777 is mainly used for airports with no A380 capacity as well as routes with smaller airports and traffic.

But even then, B777 is a huge aircraft which may not fill the load on many short-haul routes. EK should seriously consider replacements for their retired Airbus aircraft. They are probably still thinking about the A350 or 787-10 but as their financial situation is not great atm, the orders could take a while..

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #2549
sponge_bob

Midfield Terminal. Official Opening on 2 December 2017 ( photo Abu Dhabi Airport ADAC)

Old November 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #2550
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
The DWC megaterminal plus runways , trains etc would cost 40% OF GDP to build. Too big a risk at present.
It won't be built, at least not in the next 5 years I think. Its not necessarily a bad thing, since DXB's facilities are quite modern and brand new, and it never made sense to abandon them so quickly. Perhaps the slowdown is a blessing in disguise. EK is still larger than it's rivals, and won't have to worry about out growing their hub in the next 5 years. The Dubai government can start saving up for the new massive airport in the meantime.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

firoz bharmal liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #2551
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:

Perhaps but EK hasn't been ordering blindly. They've cancelled orders when they saw the need to.

EK seems to be following the path of Pan Am. Big airline, famous around world, known for high quality service, but eventually went out of business.

I don't know how the EK fleet can be reorganized. They've ordered to many A380's. They could delay deliveries for the time being. Park some of the current A380's at DWC and rely on the B77W fleet until demand picks up again. But flying 500 seat planes around the world to tiny destinations like Auckland is not a good business strategy.

Moving FZ to DWC would be a good decision, but EK also relies on some of the feed FZ provides.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 28th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #2552
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
But even then, B777 is a huge aircraft which may not fill the load on many short-haul routes. EK should seriously consider replacements for their retired Airbus aircraft. They are probably still thinking about the A350 or 787-10 but as their financial situation is not great atm, the orders could take a while..
I think what we will see is EK speeding up the retirement of some of their fleet. I doubt EK wanted to operate more than 120 A380's in the fleet at once anyways.

As for a future order, I'm not so sure. EK needs smaller aircraft but not more capacity at the moment. That is the dilemma the management faces. My guess is that EK will go ahead and order the B787 at next years Dubai Airshow with the intention of taking those aircraft after 2022-23.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 28th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #2553
sponge_bob

What was the story at the big Emirates meeting .....anyone?

michastrain1, city of the future liked this post
Old November 28th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #2554
michastrain1

Likes (Received): 3907

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
EK is still larger than it's rivals, and won't have to worry about out growing their hub in the next 5 years. The Dubai government can start saving up for the new massive airport in the meantime.
Doing business means making profit, not beeing the biggest. I know it's Dubai, but if it was the only goal to achieve, then good luck in surviving on the market.
michastrain1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #2555
Manazir

while EK has been struggling, QR today announced 8 new destinations :

Canberra, Australia
Dublin, Ireland
Las Vegas, United States
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Santiago, Chile
Medan, Indonesia
Tabuk, Saudi Arabia
Yanbu, Saudi Arabia

This in addition to 7 new destinations a while back, which means QR will operate 15 new routes by next year!

Old November 28th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #2556
noir-dresses
bling bling

I'm really liking Qatar Airways as of late, and good for them for doing a suburb job.
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #2557
Manazir

Quote:
I'm really liking Qatar Airways as of late, and good for them for doing a suburb job.
Though its questionable because they really have a shortage of aircraft and deliveries are not always on-time for QR. At least 4 of these new routes are long haul, so it should be interesting to see how they manage these 15 new routes given the aircraft they have at the moment. Of course, if they get at least 15 new deliveries in the near-future, that's another story I suppose.

Old November 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #2558
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
Though its questionable because they really have a shortage of aircraft and deliveries are not always on-time for QR. .
Dublin will start any time from May 2017 to 2018 said AAB
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #2559
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18174

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/639/6399091.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

patel2897 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 10:41 AM   #2560
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

QR say those 15 new destination will come in 2017-2018. They announced some routes like Skopje or Sarajevo last March with start date in November but nothing happened so far. AKL postponed to February and Lusaka now disappered from their list.

Press release March 2016
http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...e_itbpressconf

Press release November 2016
http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/pr...17destinations
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae