daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:05 AM   #241
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

They really don't serve much of us here in North America, what, NY and Houston are it, right? I don't think LAX is even targeted for service, non-stop, at least. I think the 777 ER could do it, polar route, but maybe not within faa fuel margins, don't know).

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #242
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
They really don't serve much of us here in North America, what, NY and Houston are it, right?
Toronto too
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:23 AM   #243
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

They are coming more to North America. I heard that they are planning some West Coast flights.

And they haven't started going to Houston yet. That starts in December.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:25 AM   #244
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

Emirates is so powerful, if you don't believe what i said, look to this pics:

And the version for Cargo:

Instagram: nikkodemo_
ˇˇˇ11 Ańos en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:17 AM   #245
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Emirates Airline may order more A380s in future to meet growing capacity: executive

SINGAPORE: Dubai's Emirates Airline is likely to place more orders in the future for the Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger plane, to meet its expansion plans, a senior executive said Wednesday.

Emirates Airline and Group is Airbus' biggest customer for the massive jet, with 55 A380 planes already on order. It is expected to start taking delivery of the plane in August 2008.

"Fifty-five, so far. There could be more later," Executive Vice Chairman Maurice Flanagan told the Associated Press on the sidelines of an aviation conference in Singapore. He declined to give details.

Flanagan said the airline is expanding its capacity by more than 20 percent a year, and that its rapid growth is likely to continue in tandem with Dubai's increased presence as an aviation hub.

"We see that going on and on in the future," Flanagan said. "It's linked to what's happening in Dubai and the power of Dubai as a global aviation hub whereby we can connect any two points in the world now with one stop only in Dubai."

Flanagan said the 55 planes currently on order would take the airline into 2030. Future orders would depend on any restrictions posed by the handling capacity of the airport in Dubai, which claims to be the world's fastest growing city.

About 29 million passengers passed through Dubai International Airport last year, an increase of 16.2 percent from the previous year.

To cope with the growth, the airport is undergoing a US$4.5 billion (€ 3.1 billion) expansion that will allow it to accommodate 70 million passengers a year by 2009, according to the airport's Web site.

Flanagan said Emirates expected to have 599 "big," or wide-bodied, aircraft in its fleet by 2019 if there were no capacity constraints at the airport. The carrier's fleet comprises only wide-bodied aircraft, and it currently has 110 of them, he said.

Flanagan also said Emirates could afford to fund its own expansion and had no plans for an initial public offering. Reports earlier this week said the airline is seeking a US$20 billion-US$30 billion listing.

"There is no intention for an (initial public offering)," he said. "We are cash-rich with about US$4 billion (€2.7 billion) in the kitty. We can certainly fund our expansion."
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:33 AM   #246
Luka

Likes (Received): 2832

Emirates is too powerful for its own good. Sooner or later it will go bankrupt
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #247
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemo View Post
Emirates is so powerful, if you don't believe what i said, look to this pics:
Big shiny planes does not a powerful airline make.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #248
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Right.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM   #249
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

EK said they wanted to double their A380 order to 110 aircraft, but the current infrastructure at Dubai airport doesn't allow that.

And yes, I also agree EK will collapse sooner or later.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #250
zelterheist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

why this hatred against emirates?
zelterheist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #251
yrkn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelterheist View Post
why not?? I am sure you hate something too
yrkn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #252
Luka

Likes (Received): 2832

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelterheist View Post
There’s no hatred. I used to think Emirates was the best but their massive expansion has caused their service levels to drop, all of their planes have a different product to offer (which is not very representative for a world airline), their management is disorganised and they have a hub which is in a mess (the airport, not the city).
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #253
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

I think some of these problems will be solved with fleet simplification. When its fleet eventually will just be A350s, A380s and B777 and maybe, B787.

I'll give Emirates credit for trying to be No. 1 and it appears to be winning the first battle in being the dominant carrier in the Mid East already.

I don't think Emirates will collapse sooner or later. We have to accept that this century will belong to Asia, Africa and Latin America, with passenger traffic only just beginning to grow, airlines may have to be large to suit this huge potential increase in travel.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #254
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

It was a bit of an eye opener to find out that they don't pay their staff properly. It shouldn't have come as a shock considering that the UAE is pretty much a country where slavery is not only tolerated, but widely practiced. Pay scales in Dubai are also based on whether you are white, black, or Indian. A good friend of mine worked there for an architecure firm. He said it was very disturbing. He still gets messages from Pakistani's he met begging him to rescue them. They've been pretty much caged in a worker compound for years. Their passports were seized upon entry so that they couldn't flee back to Pakistan. These aren't isolated incidents, but widespread practices.

People from the UAE should be ashamed. Disgusting! I won't be travelling to Dubai as long as this continues.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #255
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
The Gulf carriers pay their staff pittance (and they have no union rights) and get subsidised jet fuel from the state.
true and not true, respectively.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #256
luv2bebrown

emirates will be going public in the near future. that will put an end to the subsidies accusations
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #257
cyborg81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It was a bit of an eye opener to find out that they don't pay their staff properly. It shouldn't have come as a shock considering that the UAE is pretty much a country where slavery is not only tolerated, but widely practiced. Pay scales in Dubai are also based on whether you are white, black, or Indian. A good friend of mine worked there for an architecure firm. He said it was very disturbing. He still gets messages from Pakistani's he met begging him to rescue them. They've been pretty much caged in a worker compound for years. Their passports were seized upon entry so that they couldn't flee back to Pakistan. These aren't isolated incidents, but widespread practices.

People from the UAE should be ashamed. Disgusting! I won't be travelling to Dubai as long as this continues.
well emirates pay some of the most competitive salaries 2 their staff and personal on the best global scale.i dunno where u got this info from.all their staff are highly skilled,competitive and get to stay at some of the best residences around the world when they visit a particular city.

as 4 u not coming 2 dubai,all i can say is u wont be missed dearly.

in the future dont write hearsay information on these forums and do ur research well.good luck!
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #258
cyborg81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown View Post
emirates will be going public in the near future. that will put an end to the subsidies accusations
emirates wont be goin public anytime soon,they still have $4b in the bank.next year they expect another year of bumper profits.

airline world,the emirates force has arrived.whether u like it or not it is here to stay and dominate
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #259
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg81 View Post
well emirates pay some of the most competitive salaries 2 their staff and personal on the best global scale.i dunno where u got this info from.all their staff are highly skilled,competitive and get to stay at some of the best residences around the world when they visit a particular city.

as 4 u not coming 2 dubai,all i can say is u wont be missed dearly.

in the future dont write hearsay information on these forums and do ur research well.good luck!
well yes they are paid well by global standards. but when you think that much of the world lives on less than $1 a day, its not much of a standard.
cabin crew + mid/senior management get an extremely good deal since their housing, car, children's education etc is all paid for. but the rank and file employees of Emirates are not paid very much at all. ticketing agents for example are paid less than $1000 a month. only a few employees have been lucky enough to secure subsidized company housing. are the employees skilled and competitive? yes. the only reason they work at emirates is because they come from a cultural background where working at a "good company" like emirates is paramount despite everything else. im an EK employee btw
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #260
Skyprince
Asian boi

I dont understand why EK is still rated 4-star ? Thats even below the rate for QR. WHy it needs to stop in Singapore for most of its Oz operations > It can simply fly non-stop from Dubai to Sydney or Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

When I was in Dubai I met sooooo many educated Indians and Pakistanis who made great fortunes and are extremely contented with their lives in UAE.

In UAE , your ups and downs are based on merit. If a very uneducated White man who cant read and write comes to Dubai, he will surely earn less than $ 200 per month.

I also had a very bad picture of UAE on how it treats its foreign labours before coming but when I was in UAE my view has changed totally when a taxi driver from India clearly tells me that what you earn in UAE is based on your merit and its very fair since there are many Indians and Pakistanis who made 8 to 9-digit fortune during their stay in UAE.

So its fair. You made you comment based on biased media !

Last edited by Skyprince; November 4th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae