daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #2641
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Abu Dhabi is sitting on three digit billions of cash and claiming that they have to cut down on their spending....from what I hear, many companies there are shedding jobs and transferring staff to other cities in the region!! They are also building a massive new terminal, very few people talk about these days (Abu Dhabi does not like to be in the limelight)....

Dubai on the other hand is taking loans and building a new airport exactly midway between AUH and DXB....I know most of you see Dubai as an exclusive entity, but I can tell you, in the long run the fact that the new airport is only 5 minutes drive from the Abu Dhabi emirate's border definitely poses the question of how competition from one will eat into the other for both the airports!!

A similar issue many years back led to the creation of Etihad... and now both EY and EK are facing the consequences of the competition....
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #2642
Manazir

Likes (Received): 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Now that is some very interesting news. Finally Clark has gained some common sense. To be fair, his policy of a wide-body only fleet made sense at the congested DXB hub, but when 95% of your fleet is made up B77Ws and A380s, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the problems with that strategy.
I strongly disagree with this 'plan'.

I'm sorry but A320 or Boeing 737-family does not suit Emirates at all. The EK livery would look ugly on them and I don't think EK is an airline, which needs such aircraft. A lot of people fly EK because of their big-sized aircraft! A bigger aircraft can deliver better amenities, service, and comfort.

I'm not saying this not because I am not a fan of narrow-bodies but there are certain airlines who are better off using wide-bodies. A320/B737 would be also ugly for SQ or CX. Why can't Emirates just order smaller capacity wide-bodies like B787 and/or A350?? goosh... EY and QR have ordered them ages ago and EK is still "waiting for the right moment" - ridiculous seriously

My recently started Travel Blog

sponge_bob liked this post
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #2643
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
You are right on that.

Separately EKs bigger problem is that it cannot assume stratospheric growth any more and EK cannot assume that Dubai will build an airport over at DWC that could handle that stratospheric growth if it were possible. I don't think the problem is Etihad but rather Qatar and Saudia

I am more inclined to the idea that EK will growth plateau within the capabilities of the existing DXB (and a few customers of DXB might be evicted to DWC) and even that some A380 orders may well be swapped for A350-1000s in the end, out towards 2020 -21.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #2644
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Abu Dhabi is sitting on three digit billions of cash and claiming that they have to cut down on their spending....from what I hear, many companies there are shedding jobs and transferring staff to other cities in the region!! They are also building a massive new terminal, very few people talk about these days (Abu Dhabi does not like to be in the limelight)....

Dubai on the other hand is taking loans and building a new airport exactly midway between AUH and DXB....I know most of you see Dubai as an exclusive entity, but I can tell you, in the long run the fact that the new airport is only 5 minutes drive from the Abu Dhabi emirate's border definitely poses the question of how competition from one will eat into the other for both the airports!!

A similar issue many years back led to the creation of Etihad... and now both EY and EK are facing the consequences of the competition....
I said it before. EY and Emirates should merged to become UAE national airline and share new mega airport constructed between the two cities (connected by high speed maglev line).

Now its such a waste, EY builds own airport, Emirates stuck in old...

Sometimes its better to corporate and concentrate on outside enemies (Qatar, Saudi etc). There needs to be true UNITED Arab Emirates.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; February 15th, 2017 at 05:01 AM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #2645
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:

I'm sorry but A320 or Boeing 737-family does not suit Emirates at all. The EK livery would look ugly on them and I don't think EK is an airline, which needs such aircraft. A lot of people fly EK because of their big-sized aircraft! A bigger aircraft can deliver better amenities, service, and comfort.

I'm not saying this not because I am not a fan of narrow-bodies but there are certain airlines who are better off using wide-bodies. A320/B737 would be also ugly for SQ or CX. Why can't Emirates just order smaller capacity wide-bodies like B787 and/or A350?? goosh... EY and QR have ordered them ages ago and EK is still "waiting for the right moment" - ridiculous seriously
EK will need narrow body aircraft to fly to tertiary cities that cannot sustain a widebody aircraft.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2646
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
EK will need narrow body aircraft to fly to tertiary cities that cannot sustain a widebody aircraft.
Yeah Meet the eHang 184

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38967235
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #2647
Manazir

Quote:
When EK had A330s and A340s, which are widebodies btw, they managed perfectly well without narrow bodies back then. What's the issue now? Those Airbuses have gotten old and had to be retired and therefore EK lacks replacement aircraft in its fleet which are of similar size and capacity. Hence facing operating issues and being forced to operate certain routes with 777 or A380. So what's the solution? Simple. Order some B787s and A350s and see how that goes.

Old February 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM   #2648
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Looks like EK will start a new service to Phnom Penh, Cambodia via Yangon, Myanmar starting starting July 1st, 2017.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:43 PM   #2649
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Now that is some very interesting news. Finally Clark has gained some common sense. To be fair, his policy of a wide-body only fleet made sense at the congested DXB hub, but when 95% of your fleet is made up B77Ws and A380s, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the problems with that strategy.
I wouldn't call that common sense, that's a radical change. Going from having the 2 largest airplanes in the market to tiny narrow bodies. There are still plenty of models in between (787 / a330 / a330). I find this plan unlikely to materialize personally.
And if it ever happens, I'm sure EK will not use the flagship EK brand for the narrow bodies, a similar business model to SQ's SilkAir and CX's Cathay Dragon makes better sense.

Manazir liked this post
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:46 PM   #2650
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
When EK had A330s and A340s, which are widebodies btw, they managed perfectly well without narrow bodies back then. What's the issue now? Those Airbuses have gotten old and had to be retired and therefore EK lacks replacement aircraft in its fleet which are of similar size and capacity. Hence facing operating issues and being forced to operate certain routes with 777 or A380. So what's the solution? Simple. Order some B787s and A350s and see how that goes.
Well I don't disagree with you; B787's and A350's are also good options, but I also don't see the problem with a very flexible fleet consisting of B737's/A320s, B787/A350, B777-9s, and A380s. Similar to QR.

Yes NB's aren't luxurious but is EK still aiming for that now? EY and QR have surpassed them in the product/service category, F class is becoming obsolete, and EK prefers to pack their aircraft instead of improving their product (as shown by their updated J class B77W product).

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old February 21st, 2017, 09:12 PM   #2651
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Looks like EK will start a new service to Phnom Penh, Cambodia via Yangon, Myanmar starting starting July 1st, 2017.
Daily DXB-Yangon-Phnom Penh and DXB-HAN will be nonstop instead via Yangon from the same date. Both with 2-class B77W
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...h-in-cambodia#

Qatar Airways will launch flights to Skopje on 17th July
http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/pr...release_skopje

patel2897 liked this post
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:52 PM   #2652
Manazir

Kuwait Airways to increase flights to Dhaka to 9x/week from March and will go up to 12x weekly by mid-2017.

firoz bharmal, Rokto14 liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:20 PM   #2653
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

Qatar Airways to launch their 9th and 10th destination in Saudia Arabia

Starting 9th May Yanbu and 19th June Tabuk (each 3 weekly with A320) will join the network
http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/pr...yanbutabuk_eng
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #2654
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seljuk View Post
Qatar Airways to launch their 9th and 10th destination in Saudia Arabia

Starting 9th May Yanbu and 19th June Tabuk (each 3 weekly with A320) will join the network
http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/pr...yanbutabuk_eng
Eventually I expect Saudi Arabia should overtake the UAE as QR's biggest market.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old February 26th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #2655
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4266

EK to redesign the A380 bar.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

patel2897 liked this post
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2656
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4968

Quote:
Eventually I expect Saudi Arabia should overtake the UAE as QR's biggest market.
Surprised that's no the case already. Saudi is both huge and affluent.
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #2657
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

Why Saudi aren't buying the A380?
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2658
aalva

Likes (Received): 187

If you buy the A380, you have to fill them up. And that's not really easy. International passengers prefer fly with QR or Emirates, where alcohol is not prohibited, where films are not censored, and where religion is not "imposed" to passengers (no prayer before flights).

naaankun, tunimaroc, simpliCITY liked this post
aalva está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #2659
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalva View Post
If you buy the A380, you have to fill them up. And that's not really easy. International passengers prefer fly with QR or Emirates, where alcohol is not prohibited, where films are not censored, and where religion is not "imposed" to passengers (no prayer before flights).
That's a load of crap.

Films are censored actually! I doubt whether you actually flew on QR or EK ever. Every film on EK, EY, and QR begins with "This film has been formatted to fit this screen and been edited for content"

As for prayer, or as you say, "imposing" religion, I don't even know what to comment on your stupidity and ignorance. I had no idea that a simple prayer is counted as 'imposing' religion. FYI, Muslims as well as practicing Christians and Jews pray before any flight or journey because anything can go wrong. So they pray to God to hope for a safe journey and to protect everyone on board. I don't see how this is 'imposing' religion...

Old March 9th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #2660
aalva

Likes (Received): 187

I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

What I wanted to say (and I had difficulties to find correct words since I'm not fluent in english) is that lots of passengers don't want to fly Saudia because of the presence of religion in this airline. No alcohol, prayer before flight, is a problem for occidental passengers. And without these passengers, it is hard to fill up big aircrafts such as A380.

I know that lots of people from lots of religion use to pray before flights, but I think that Saudia Airlines is the only air carrier in which you can hear a prayer before taking off. That's not a problem for me, but it is for some european passengers.

Saudia is certainly not a bad airline, I heard good things about it. But on some points, it looks really strange for occidental passengers. Emirates, Qatar Airways, are more likely to attract european people.
aalva está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae