daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #261
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown View Post
well yes they are paid well by global standards. but when you think that much of the world lives on less than $1 a day, its not much of a standard.

i'm not comparing global wage standards which include sweatshops in china and thailand.im benchmarking it against the airline industry in general.the information that i had was that as u said cabin crew,mid-senior management are well paid.however,i was oblivious that they paid travel agents $1000,i might have to check up on that one.since it is easy to declare that ur an EK employee to make everything that comes outta ur mouth 'word of gospel' i might buy into it for the time being.
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #262
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I dont understand why EK is still rated 4-star ? Thats even below the rate for QR. WHy it needs to stop in Singapore for most of its Oz operations > It can simply fly non-stop from Dubai to Sydney or Melbourne.

When I was in Dubai I met sooooo many educated Indians and Pakistanis who made great fortunes and are extremely contented with their lives in UAE.

In UAE , your ups and downs are based on merit. If a very uneducated White man who cant read and write comes to Dubai, he will surely earn less than $ 200 per month.

I also had a very bad picture of UAE on how it treats its foreign labours before coming but when I was in UAE my view has changed totally when a taxi driver from India clearly tells me that what you earn in UAE is based on your merit and its very fair since there are many Indians and Pakistanis who made 8 to 9-digit fortune during their stay in UAE.

So its fair. You made you comment based on biased media !
you cannot generalize labour in the UAE. in the developed world, people like to class construction workers, taxi drivers etc as "working class." it doesnt work like that in the UAE. the construction workers are in a league of their own and they find themselves at the bottom of the barrel. whereas construction workers are abused and exploited, taxi drivers, though they work long hours (12 hour shifts), they are paid on a commission based system and can earn up to3000dh a month. so id say the taxi drivers are largely getting a good deal at the expense of some sacrifice, while construction workers are getting a raw deal.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #263
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Off-topic, but:

When Dubai's new World Central Airport is completed (Wiki says it will be finished in 2017), I heard on this forum before that the existing Dubai airport will be exclusively used by Emirates only. Is this true?

Airlines controlling terminals are common in many airports, but I haven't heard of an entire airport being served by one airline before...that would be interesting, indeed.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #264
Fastphilly

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
They are coming more to North America. I heard that they are planning some West Coast flights.
And they haven't started going to Houston yet. That starts in December.
That would be great!!!

SFO has yet to be served by a Middle Eastern airline.....
Fastphilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #265
killerk

Likes (Received): 1119

Having been a former UAE resident (20 out of the 27 years of my life), The airline and city of Dubai have been following the same planning model as that of Singapore.
"A strong hub-spoke paradigm in the aviation field" and "City as a private for-profit entity". In my opinion Singapore laid the foundation stone for the theory and Dubai fine-tuned it in their direction.....
IMO The credit goes to Singapore for taking the risk and setting standard for the others: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuala Lumpur amongst others.
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #266
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

As great as all this is... what about global warming?

Everytime I read about how Dubai is going to so massively expand, I only think at how much more pollution and emissions that's going to add to this world. The world 50 years from now will be very different from today.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #267
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

People, don't think for a second Dubai is alone in it's treatment of immigrants. While it is definitely true that there is a class structure in Dubai, that rings truw for most of the middle east. I'm not agreeing in principle with the fact that immigrants are exploited, but the reality is that no one is holding a gun to the head of Indians and Pakistanis who go to Dubai to work on construction sites and be servants to wealthy Arabs. Don't know if any of you had the pleasure of being to India or Pakistan, but no matter how unfair the treatment may be of certain cultures in Dubai, the life is better than it is in Calcutta or Karachi. I live in Canada, and don't think for a second that new Third World immigrants to Canada have much help. They often live in squalor and have been promised all sorts of things that never come true. I think we should be criticizing the countries of origin, not the countries that let people come in.

Anyway, wasn't this an EK thread??
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #268
killerk

Likes (Received): 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
People, don't think for a second Dubai is alone in it's treatment of immigrants. While it is definitely true that there is a class structure in Dubai, that rings truw for most of the middle east. I'm not agreeing in principle with the fact that immigrants are exploited, but the reality is that no one is holding a gun to the head of Indians and Pakistanis who go to Dubai to work on construction sites and be servants to wealthy Arabs. Don't know if any of you had the pleasure of being to India or Pakistan, but no matter how unfair the treatment may be of certain cultures in Dubai, the life is better than it is in Calcutta or Karachi. I live in Canada, and don't think for a second that new Third World immigrants to Canada have much help. They often live in squalor and have been promised all sorts of things that never come true. I think we should be criticizing the countries of origin, not the countries that let people come in.

Anyway, wasn't this an EK thread??
I am an Architect from one of the top 3 Schools in India.....A very famous British firm offered me $100 per month as salary to work for them in India.....so I understand what you are trying to say....
the UAE never forces anyone to go there and work...people go there for the opportunity....if they hate it so much there, they can leave anytime....
and then again nobody pays any taxes there, so the Govt is not obligated to
serve anyone.....
coming to the point....I have not heard of Lufthansa or any airline in Europe offering jobs in their home country to people in developing nations...so the argument does not make sense....
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #269
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

Airbus hails record year in battle of the skies

DUBAI, Nov 12, 2007 (AFP) - European aircraft manufacturer Airbus, emerging from the most turbulent period in its history, on Monday hailed a record year for orders with deals for well over 1,100 new planes on its books.

Airbus announced at the Dubai air show it won new orders for more than 150 planes from expansion-hungry regional airlines and leasing companies, adding to a bonanza deal with the booming Gulf emirate's flag carrier Emirates on Sunday.

In the biggest deal for Airbus on Monday, it secured a letter of intent from Dubai leasing firm DAE Capital to buy 100 planes worth 13.5 billion dollars.

But underscoring the fierce battle for the skies, DAE -- a company hoping to become a world leader in its own field -- also said it would order another 100 aircraft from Airbus's American rival Boeing for 13.7 billion dollars.

Nevertheless, Airbus was the bigger winner on Monday. It secured a 3.5 billion dollar order for 34 A320s from Emirates-based budget carrier Air Arabia and an option for another 15.

Saudi Arabian Airlines also signed a letter of intent to buy 22 A320s valued at 1.7 billion dollars -- the first time the airline has bought from the European firm in more than 20 years.

And Saudi billionaire Prince Walid bin Talal, one of the world's richest men, became the first private client for the Airbus A380 superjumbo, dubbed a "Flying Palace."

Airbus sales chief John Leahy said he expected the airline to receive similar orders from wealthy individuals in the oil-rich region for the gigantic double-decker plane, the largest commercial airliner ever built.

The latest deals mark a dramatic turnaround for Airbus, which was overtaken last year by rival Boeing in the race for new business and made a spectacular plunge into the red last year when it was beset by production woes.

Leahy said at the air show that 2007 is "going to beat the record for orders" with 1,122 firm orders already on its books, beating the previous record year of 2005 with 1,111.

His rosy outlook came after DAE Capital, a subsidiary of public company Dubai Aerospace Enterprise, announced it would purchase 70 Airbus A320 and 30 A350s for 13.5 billion dollars.

"It has been another great day... It's a very important order for us," said Airbus president and CEO Tom Enders.

DAE also announced it had signed a letter of intent to expand its fleet with a 13.7 billion dollar purchase of 70 Boeing 737 Next Generation aircraft and 30 wide-bodied planes.

Airbus's healthy order book will come as a relief for the company, which has seen the development of aircraft such as the A380 bedevilled by months of production delays and massive cost overruns.

Last year, Boeing overtook Airbus in the race for new business for the first time since 2000.

Airbus slid into the red in 2006 to the tune of 572 million euros, after a profit of 2.3 billion euros in 2005, and has since launched a radical restructuring plan.

On Sunday, Emirates announced its own mega-contract with Airbus to buy more than 20 billion dollars' worth of planes, in what executives said was the biggest single order in the European planemaker's history.

The order from the Dubai-owned carrier was for 70 midsized A350 XWB (Extra Wide Body) aircraft and 11 A380s, and Leahy subsequently raised forecast sales of the A350 to more than 300 by year's end.

On Monday, Boeing announced it had won an order from Dubai-based leasing company LCAL for six 787-8 Dreamliner planes worth around 972 million dollars.

Royal Jordanian also confirmed an order for two Dreamliners it had agreed to option in May.

On Sunday, Boeing, whose Dreamliner is the major competitor to the A350, won a 3.2 billion dollar order from Emirates for 12 of its B777-300s, bringing the airline's total outlay for new planes to over 23 billion dollars at the show.

Seattle-based Boeing also said it signed an agreement with Qatar Airways for 30 Dreamliners and five 777 cargo planes in a deal valued at over 6.1 billion dollars at list prices.

Qatar Airways chief executive officer Akber al-Baker indicated the government-owned carrier might go for a public share listing in three to four years time when the company starts making a profit.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #270
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Emirates airline boosts Mideast market leader status

DUBAI, Nov 13, 2007 (AFP) - Dubai-owned Emirates airline, already the largest carrier in the Middle East, has reinforced its position as regional market leader with multi-billion-dollar orders at the Dubai air show.

Emirates' buying spree is in step with the ambitious plans of the city-state to establish itself as a regional hub for travel, tourism and business.

"Dubai is investing billions to secure its future as a leading centre for business, tourism, and air transport on the global stage," Emirates chairman and chief executive Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum said at the start of the prestigious five-day show on Sunday.

"Emirates is investing in a fleet for the future, in order to support Dubai's development," he added, as he inked a deal with European aircraft manufacturer Airbus for 70 A350 XWB jets and 11 additional A380 superjumbos.

The deal is valued at 20.2 billion dollars but could shoot up to 31.7 billion dollars if Dubai's flagship carrier firms up an option for 50 more A350s.

Emirates was already the largest single customer of Airbus's A380 and now has 58 units of the largest airliner on order. It expects to receive the first unit in August 2008.

The carrier also ordered 12 more units of Boeing's 777 family in a deal valued at 3.2 billion dollars.

Although the deal could seem like a consolation for the US arch-rival of Airbus, it put Emirates on track to be the world's second largest operator of the Boeing 777 planes, with 53 units in service and 57 others on order.

"In 2003, our plan was for Emirates to have 100 aircraft by 2010. We have already surpassed that target," Sheikh Ahmed said.

Emirates has 111 planes and its fleet is growing by one jet per month on average. Its order book boasts a whopping 246 aircraft.

The nearest regional competitor in terms of orders is Qatar Airways, whose order list stands at 142 aircraft, with 30 more Boeing 787 Dreamliners taken on option.

Qatar's national carrier has a fleet of 58 all-Airbus aircraft, serving 79 destinations.

Emirates claims that its daring expansion plans are based on growth and demand which have "exceeded the most optimistic projections," according to Sheikh Ahmed.

Emirates carried 17.5 million passengers in the financial year 2006-2007 compared to 14.5 million the previous year.

During the first half of this year, passenger traffic in the Middle East recorded an impressive 18.7 percent increase -- the highest worldwide --, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

Emirates insists it is financially independent from the government of Dubai, one of the seven members of the United Arab Emirates.

It posted a net profit of 844 million dollars in 2006-2007, and claims that annual growth has never fallen below 20 percent since its inception in 1986.

But the Dubai government appears now to be backing an aggressive expansion into the air travel market, which involves in addition to Emirates other air travel arms.

On Monday, government-owned leasing firm DAE Capital sealed a contract worth 13.5 billion dollars to buy 100 planes from Airbus and another worth 13.7 billion dollars for 100 aircraft from Boeing.

The newly-started DAE Capital is part of the Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) which is developing an integrated aerospace cluster that will eventually be based at a new airport being built on the outskirts of Dubai.

The facility aims to be the world's largest airport once fully completed.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #271
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Emirates plans up to 30 pct IPO to fund planes

DUBAI, Nov 13 (Reuters) - Emirates airline, the largest Arab carrier, said it intends to sell as much as 30 percent of the company in an initial public offering to help finance more than $60 billion of aircraft purchases.

"We have not begun any steps so far, but the intention is there," Emirates Chairman Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum told Al Arabiya television on Tuesday, when asked about IPO plans.

"We are talking about 20-30 percent," he said, without indicating when shares might be sold. The stock would list in Dubai, he said, without being more specific.

Emirates spokesman Mike Simon confirmed the comments and said Sheikh Ahmed had in the past said the state-owned company would sell shares in an IPO within two to three years.

"The timing of such an IPO, if there was to be one, would be a decision for the government of Dubai," Simon said.

Sheikh Ahmed, who could not immediately be reached on his mobile phone, is also a member of Dubai's executive committee headed by the ruler of Dubai, Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.

Emirates airline President Tim Clark told Reuters last month any IPO by the 22-year-old company should value it at between $20 billion and $30 billion.

The carrier on Sunday ordered $23.4 billion of aircraft from Airbus and Boeing Co, with options for 50 more planes, valuing the total potential order at almost $35 billion.

With the options, Emirates plans to take delivery of 246 aircraft worth more than $60 billion during the next few years, it said on Sunday, as it seeks to tap air passenger demand from cities as far apart as Sydney and San Francisco, connecting any two points in the world through its Dubai hub.

BIG CUSTOMERS

Emirates is the biggest customer for Airbus's A380, the world's largest civil airliner, capable of carrying as many as 853 passengers.

"We always back this step," Sheikh Ahmed said, when asked about a possible IPO. "It would be positive for the market ... because Emirates airline is one of the region's big companies."

Dubai's DP World, the world's fourth-largest container port handler, plans to raise as much as $4.32 billion in an IPO that closes on Nov. 20 and values the company at as much as $21.6 billion. It is the first IPO by the Dubai government.

DP World stock will list on the Dubai International Financial Exchange, a bourse the emirate set up in 2005 that operates according to international regulatory standards. The other exchange in Dubai is the Dubai Financial Market.

Based on Sheikh Ahmed's figures and Clark's valuation, an Emirates IPO would seek to raise between $4 billion and $9 billion.

Emirates, which started in 1985 with two planes, has grown to rival carriers such as Qantas Airways and Singapore Airlines for passenger traffic between Europe and east Asia.

The airline, which carried 17.5 million passengers in the year to March 31, has in the past sold bonds and borrowed from banks to finance aircraft acquisitions.

It made a profit of 3.1 billion dirhams ($844.2 million) that fiscal year, 25.1 percent more than in the year-earlier period.

Old November 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #272
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Dubai plans Emirates air IPO for January - report

DUBAI, Nov 21 (Reuters) - Dubai plans to sell 20 to 30 percent of Emirates airline [EMAIR.UL] in an initial public offering (IPO) in January, United Arab Emirates-based al-Ittihad newspaper reported on Wednesday, without citing anyone.

The shares would list on the Dubai International Financial Exchange (DIFX), the newspaper, one of the three biggest in the United Arab Emirates, said.

Dubai's DP World, whose IPO closed on Monday, was probably about eight times subscribed, the newspaper reported, without saying where it got the information.

Emirates, the largest Arab carrier, said last week it intends to sell as much as 30 percent of the company in an IPO to help finance more than $60 billion of aircraft purchases. [ID:nL13580601]

"We have not begun any steps so far, but the intention is there," Emirates Chairman Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum told Al Arabiya television at the time, when asked about IPO plans.

"We are talking about 20-30 percent," he said, without indicating when shares might be sold. The stock would list in Dubai, he said, without being more specific.

Dubai has two exchanges, the DIFX and the Dubai Financial Market. The DIFX operates according to international regulatory standards. DP World shares will list on the DIFX on Nov. 26.

Old November 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM   #273
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg81 View Post
well emirates pay some of the most competitive salaries 2 their staff and personal on the best global scale.i dunno where u got this info from.all their staff are highly skilled,competitive and get to stay at some of the best residences around the world when they visit a particular city.

as 4 u not coming 2 dubai,all i can say is u wont be missed dearly.

in the future dont write hearsay information on these forums and do ur research well.good luck!
I certainly won't be missed, but I'm not alone. When thousands of westerners travel to Dubai on contract to firms then return home with first hand accounts of widespread racism and enslaved labour, it will only have a negative effect on the UAE economically and that country's reputation around the world.

If you want to shove it 'under the carpet', or are blind to what happens in Dubai, go ahead. Many people look the other way because it's unpleasant to acknowledge, but it's just not acceptable. If most people in the West knew what really goes on in Dubai, they would be outraged. It never ceases to amaze me how callous people can be. By the way, what happens in the modern skyscrapers isn't Dubai. Go visit a construction site and where those labourers live. I bet you've never.

This is not hearsay, as you put it. Open your eyes. I suppose, apartheid didn't occur in South Africa either? Does Dubai really want to be embarassed into banning these practices? Judging by your reaction, it seems that this is what will have to happen.

Last edited by isaidso; November 21st, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM   #274
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I certainly won't be missed, but I'm not alone. When thousands of westerners travel to Dubai on contract to firms then return home with first hand accounts of widespread racism and enslaved labour, it will only have a negative effect on the UAE economically and that country's reputation around the world.

If you want to shove it 'under the carpet', or are so blind to what happens in Dubai, go ahead. This is not hearsay, as you put it. Open your eyes. I suppose, apartheid didn't occur in South Africa either.
a few might come back with stories of widespread racism and enslaved labour. but the majority will come back with glowing reports of the city and the city will continue to enjoy massive growth rates.

especially if people go around comparing Dubai to Apartheid, then it is more likely that westerners (with their completely unrealistic expectations of seeing apartheid, enslavement and racism) will find Dubai to be a paradise.
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM   #275
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Paradise for whom? I am gobsmacked that you think racism and enslaved labour is acceptable just because most people come back with glowing reports.

Massive growth rates make this ok with you? Growth rates on the back of SLAVERY!!! Disgusting! You've got alot of nerve stepping foot in Minneapolis with that mentality. Do you have any idea how repugnant your views are to the vast majority of Americans? They'd boot you back to Dubai in a heart beat if they knew.

If you really want to go down this road and defend it, go ahead. This forum is open to everyone's eyes to see. If you think Westerners are going to have one ounce of sympathy for your view point, you're in for a big shock. No westerner with a slightest bit of integrity and sense of justice is going to back off and let this one go.

Last edited by isaidso; November 21st, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM   #276
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

There is no slavery going on here. You North Americans likes to make a phrase "cool" or "hot" and then all start using it in unison.

First it was "tsunami", then "global warming" then "green"

Yes the working class is not treated as they would in North America and Western Europe but all is result of the market economy and the core phenomen of demand/offer, a concept imported from those places I mentioned earlier.

If there is anyone to blame, is the CAPITALISM system that we refer it as democracy.

And please don't start talking about mentalities ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM   #277
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Keep in mind the difference between a flight attendant / cabin crew with a construction worker being exploited. I hardly think a badly-paid crew member will give good customer service and considering Emirates is a 4* Skytrax airline and #9 in the world (http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...eYear-2007.htm).

Old November 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM   #278
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Emirates's Flight Atendents are the most spoiled Dubai residents.

They come from 70 different countries, they are paid very good, they are accomodated in the flashy towers of Shaikh Zayed Road, most of the bars gives them free or discounted drinks.

They are just party animals enjoying a much better and care-free life then where they come from, even if that would be UK, Australia ... let alone Canada.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM   #279
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Paradise for whom? I am gobsmacked that you think racism and enslaved labour is acceptable just because most people come back with glowing reports.

Massive growth rates make this ok with you? Growth rates on the back of SLAVERY!!! Disgusting! You've got alot of nerve stepping foot in Minneapolis with that mentality. Do you have any idea how repugnant your views are to the vast majority of Americans? They'd boot you back to Dubai in a heart beat if they knew.

If you really want to go down this road and defend it, go ahead. This forum is open to everyone's eyes to see. If you think Westerners are going to have one ounce of sympathy for your view point, you're in for a big shock. No westerner with a slightest bit of integrity and sense of justice is going to back off and let this one go.
you do realize that through your comically high horsed exaggerations that you are trivializing the real problems faced by the very people you are trying to defend right? especially if u bust out the "apartheid" word, i doubt even HRW would take you seriously.

sadly, when people like you dont bother to really educate yourselves on the issue, you end up taking a caricatured and childish stance which really makes a joke out of what a lot of dubai's underclass go through. if you REALLY want to help, why dont u educate yourself on the ACTUAL issues that UAE workers face (such as how the declining dollar has recently caused a massive riot/lack of government enforcement of existing laws etc.) and take a stance based on objective considerations rather than just throwing a child tantrum which really doesnt address anything relevant AND makes a joke out of the REAL plight of the workers.

you have that oh so common N. American mentality - i.e. the Iraqis are suffering! they NEED freedom... lets invade Iraq and we will be welcomed with a red carpet! (when the reality on the ground is not quite as how you WANT to see it)

Last edited by luv2bebrown; November 21st, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #280
DingoBingo
Es lebe RAMMSTEIN

Likes (Received): 15

I've flown Emirates in 2002, and it was the best flight I've ever been on. Hats off to that airline. They got all my respect!
DingoBingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae