daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2801
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 180

Qatar Airways launch daily flights to Cardiff (Wales) from 1st May with B788
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases

patel2897, Orion602 liked this post
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #2802
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seljuk View Post
Qatar Airways launch daily flights to Cardiff (Wales) from 1st May with B788
QR expansion is in full drive. Good on them for continuing their aggressive expansion during testing times. Meanwhile, the UAE carriers are not doing so well.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #2803
EmiratesAirline380

Emirates defers A350/B787 order decision

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...order-decision

That's not good news. This order has been negotiated for years and now suddenly it's off the table...Looks like EK is uncertain about the future

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

patel2897 liked this post
Old September 15th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #2804
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Emirates defers A350/B787 order decision

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...order-decision

That's not good news.
We can finally scratch the mega airport at DWC along with it. From now on the fleet is there to fill the current airport...but not pack it like Abu Dhabi which has proven counter productive.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 06:10 AM   #2805
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
We can finally scratch the mega airport at DWC along with it. From now on the fleet is there to fill the current airport...but not pack it like Abu Dhabi which has proven counter productive.
You are right. Now the main plan is to integrate with FZ which is not a bad idea IMO. The downside is that QR and other competitors will open destinations that EK aircraft will be too large for.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old September 16th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #2806
sponge_bob

Quote:
You are right. Now the main plan is to integrate with FZ which is not a bad idea IMO. The downside is that QR and other competitors will open destinations that EK aircraft will be too large for.
It will be interesting to see what the new terminal in Jeddah does to the market too. It is as large as Doha or the delayed Midfield in Abu Dhabi and Saudia have gotten plenty of planes in the last 2 years that they have to fill.

I moved long ago from the idea of an ME3, it is an ME4 including Turkish in reality looking at the model from Europe. Saudia will make it an ME 4.5 ....I would think.

What we are now seeing in Europe is a lot more direct flights from places like Manchester and Dublin and Copenhagen (not big hubs but big airports) to the likes of HK Beijing and Shanghai. Finnair are also competing heavily on flights to east Asia from Europe with the stopover in Helsinki.

These will all eat into ME transit traffic and the most vulnerable airline here is Etihad. Against that all of the ME 4.5 will be operating from state of the art megaterminals once Abu Dhabi and Istanbul finally go online by the end of 2019 .....latest.

Against that the ME brands are strong, all of the ME4 are highly regarded airlines and are generally regarded as higher quality airlines than the legacy European flag carriers are. The likes of Hainan are trying to do a number on the ME4 with direct flights but they are not a strong brand _at present_ .

As for QR their narrow strategy is up in the air as they cancelled their early A320neos and are down the order queue for any other narrows like the A320neo and 737. They have 50 A32x on order but none in service yet. This certainly makes them less flexible and for now they are mainly a wide operator. But their wides are less wide than EKs are of course.
Old September 16th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #2807
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the new terminal in Jeddah does to the market too. It is as large as Doha or the delayed Midfield in Abu Dhabi and Saudia have gotten plenty of planes in the last 2 years that they have to fill.

I moved long ago from the idea of an ME3, it is an ME4 including Turkish in reality looking at the model from Europe. Saudia will make it an ME 4.5 ....I would think.

What we are now seeing in Europe is a lot more direct flights from places like Manchester and Dublin and Copenhagen (not big hubs but big airports) to the likes of HK Beijing and Shanghai. Finnair are also competing heavily on flights to east Asia from Europe with the stopover in Helsinki.

These will all eat into ME transit traffic and the most vulnerable airline here is Etihad. Against that all of the ME 4.5 will be operating from state of the art megaterminals once Abu Dhabi and Istanbul finally go online by the end of 2019 .....latest.

Against that the ME brands are strong, all of the ME4 are highly regarded airlines and are generally regarded as higher quality airlines than the legacy European flag carriers are. The likes of Hainan are trying to do a number on the ME4 with direct flights but they are not a strong brand _at present_ .

As for QR their narrow strategy is up in the air as they cancelled their early A320neos and are down the order queue for any other narrows like the A320neo and 737. They have 50 A32x on order but none in service yet. This certainly makes them less flexible and for now they are mainly a wide operator. But their wides are less wide than EKs are of course.
Saudia will struggle in the connecting market. Most non-muslims don't even want to fly a Saudi airline let alone step foot in KSA.

Yes I agree, more flights to secondary cities will be terrible for the ME3. This is why they are beginning to expand into tertiary cities like Cardiff.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Леонид liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #2808
sponge_bob

Quote:
Saudia will struggle in the connecting market. Most non-muslims don't even want to fly a Saudi airline let alone step foot in KSA.
But the ME3 model is that most people transit without leaving the terminal in Dubai or Doha. Very few ever leave the airport so the quality of the building you spend 3 hours in is what defines the model. Jeddahs new terminal will be as wow as any in the Middle East (or in Istanbul) and that is part of what attracts ME transiteers.

Around 1 in 3 long haul customers do not drink alcohol enroute by the way.
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #2809
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
But the ME3 model is that most people transit without leaving the terminal in Dubai or Doha. Very few ever leave the airport so the quality of the building you spend 3 hours in is what defines the model. Jeddahs new terminal will be as wow as any in the Middle East (or in Istanbul) and that is part of what attracts ME transiteers.

Around 1 in 3 long haul customers do not drink alcohol enroute by the way.
I know but there is a thinking by most people that believe the Kingdom is a backward country that doesn't give woman rights, has crazy religious laws etc. Heck, woman are required to wear an Abaya in the kingdom, so I wonder if this will apply to connecting traffic? And what happens when flights get cancelled, would people really want to leave the airport?

Dubai and Doha have westernized and marketed themselves, which has been enough for people to realize that they can travel safely and be worry free when transiting through those airports.

Also Dubai is different to the other desert hubs of AUH and DOH. Dubai is around 45% O&D traffic, 55% connecting. In comparison, AUH and DOH are 15-20% O&D.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old September 18th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #2810
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

You guys have entered my favorite topic of discussion ME aviation politics!!

Turkish was the one with the greatest growth possibility but people are skeptical of the political climate in the region and the impact it will have on the transit hub at IST...Their president trying to be the savior of a certain group of people but not the others is also not helping!!

Saudia will be a major point to point airline for both international and domestic!! They do not have enough willpower to be a hub airline...plus they have huge domestic and religious traffic to keep them busy!!

Qatar Airways is trying to adapt/bypass the fact they cannot access 18 desinations the ME Levant region, most of them being erstwhile huge markets from where they could previously connect passengers, by adding new Tier 2 destinations in other parts of the world!! Only time will tell how much of an impact this will have on their revenue!!

Emirates will have to gradually incorporate FlyDubai into itself....Dubai is not known for anything low cost and they are better off leaving that segment to Sharjah which is where they transfer employees from Abu Dhabi and Dubai when companies want to cut costs...I mean Sharjah is the low cost capital of UAE!!

Etihad is what I cannot understand....Abu Dhabi sits on all that wealth but they spend it on local citizen's wefare instead of developing a strong local economy!! If there is any place that can diversify their economy at this stage it is Abu Dhabi, but they see that as a big risk and don't seem to be aggressive in doing so....If the Ferrari world tomorrow sees a mad rush, the locals will get it shut down instead of seeing that as a cash cow!! It is like they don't even want to publicize that new state of the art airport there, because they are worried it will make the airport busy...All that potential but not enough is being done to exploit that....A long term resident of Abu Dhabi once joked about the way of thinking there, the solution to Abu Dhabi's traffic congestion problem is to reduce the population!!

Abu Dhabi international however reported a 0.7% increase in passenger traffic, I believe this is from those passengers Qatar Airways has lost that are now using Etihad!!

Another major point that EmiratesAirline380 said that I see lately is the perception of the Middle East to the west (and the east)...being that of a backward area mostly owing to the religious beliefs...There was a time UAE and Qatar were marketing to correct those misconceptions!! However, the latest crisis between the 2 countries has turned the attention to the fact that they are not mature enough to handle "simple" political issues and that its their medieval way of thinking that has led to this crisis!!

Besides that I am sure (I have heard this from many people and read articles) in many countries, there is a new nationalistic movement based on the local religion/culture/ dominant race/ethnicity that is always against the middle east and the beliefs there!! So there has been an unofficial attempt to boycott the ME3 airlines though many times citizens of those countries are forced to fly them!!

I was expecting to see the GCC as the next "soft power" to the rest of the world...where new technologies would develop, new finance hubs would be created and where there would be new sources of employment for the next generation, but now sadly it looks like they are regressing back to the past!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 01:18 AM   #2811
sponge_bob

All good points killerk but enough people have transited the mega airports of the ME and IST to know that they are islands of transportation that are decoupled from their actual location. ME3 airlines, and Turkish, are very strong global brands now....they are above politics in many ways.

Add in sparkling and enormous 'destination in their own right' terminals as they are all doing and you have a product largely insulated from reality...from the Arab 'street' and from the stifling 50c temperatures outside.

I think the model has plenty of life in it even if the Sheikhs who own these baubles are waving shoes at each other in GCC meetings.

killerk liked this post
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #2812
Manazir

Likes (Received): 513

Quote:
Correct.

For full service airlines like the ME4 (shortly ME4.25 once the new terminal in Jeddah opens not that I will ever use it. )
Who is the 4th one? SV? and 4.25?

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #2813
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Turkish (ME 4) and Saudia (+ ME 0.25)

Manazir liked this post

Last edited by killerk; September 20th, 2017 at 01:32 AM.
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #2814
anonymous_filipino

Likes (Received): 608

So, for Qatar Airways it's never too late to join the game....

Arrive in Style with Qatar Airways' Luxury Global Chauffeur Service

Quote:
19 September 2017
DOHA, Qatar – Qatar Airways has announced a new premium global chauffeur service offering seamless door-to-door transfers for customers in all cabin classes. The convenient new luxury service is designed to take the stress out of passengers’ travel plans.
This new service provided by Qatar Airways is bookable for a fee online through qatarairways.com and the Qatar Airways app. Qatar Airways passengers, no matter what cabin they are flying in, can choose from a wide-range of high-end vehicles, provided by top auto manufacturers including Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac to take them to and from their chosen airport.

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “We are delighted to launch this new premium global chauffeur service for all Qatar Airways passengers, bringing a personal luxury service to their doorsteps. Our partnership with Blacklane is an innovation that we know our passengers will value. Offering luxurious door-to-door transfers will enhance their overall travel experience when they fly with Qatar Airways.

“We are always looking at ways to improve our unrivalled five-star service, both on the ground and in the air. We are confident that this new seamless chauffeur service will be quick, convenient and in line with our company ethos to keep our customers at the heart of everything we do.”

The new chauffeur-driven service is available for passengers at more than 85 Qatar Airways destinations around the world. Blacklane is also available in over 500 airports worldwide, including the majority of destinations served by the airline’s codeshare and interline partners.

Benefits of the new global chauffeur service include access to Blacklane’s modern fleet of high-end vehicles, and highly professional drivers, to ensure a safe, comfortable journey. Customers can choose Business Class, business vans, SUVs or First Class cars.

The global chauffeur service features all-inclusive highly-competitive rates – including all taxes, tolls, fees and gratuities – which are confirmed before booking online. Customers also receive up-to-date SMS and email updates and confirmations, which include the driver’s name and phone number.

Passengers can take advantage of a generous complimentary wait time of up to an hour for airport pickups. Payments are cashless, which means there’s no need to carry cash or worry about having the correct local currency. Credit cards are only charged after customers finish their ride. There is also a free change and cancellation policy of up to an hour before for one-way journeys. Customers can reach Blacklane’s customer care team 24/7 over phone, email and social media for any urgent needs.

Luxurious door-to-door transfers are just the latest in a range of innovations unveiled by the airline to enhance it’s unrivalled five-star service. It also recently launched a new bespoke pre-select dining service for premium passengers flying in First Class and Business Class.

Named 2017 Airline of the Year, as awarded by Skytrax, Qatar Airways also has a host of exciting new destinations planned for the remainder of this year and 2018, including Canberra, Australia; Chiang Mai, Thailand and Cardiff, U.K, to name just a few.

Qatar Airways has received a number of major accolades this year, including Airline of the Year by the prestigious 2017 Skytrax World Airline Awards, which was held at the Paris Air Show. This is the fourth time that Qatar Airways has been given this global recognition as the world’s best airline.

As well as being voted Best Airline by travellers from around the world, Qatar’s national flag carrier also won a raft of other major awards at the ceremony, including Best Airline in the Middle East, World’s Best Business Class and World’s Best First Class Airline Lounge.

anonymous_filipino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #2815
EmiratesAirline380

Wow, that was out of no where. It's taken them years to introduce the service.

Now they also have to open more of their own QR lounges and then there will be very little to differentiate between the on ground product of the ME4.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old October 7th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #2816
anonymous_filipino

Likes (Received): 608

Quote:
Wow, that was out of no where. It's taken them years to introduce the service.

Now they also have to open more of their own QR lounges and then there will be very little to differentiate between the on ground product of the ME4.
The good thing about their chauffeur service, it's also open for Economy Class passengers unlike Emirates and Etihad which only offers them to First and Business Class passengers
anonymous_filipino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #2817
Seljuk

Emirates will increase flights to Stockholm from daily to 10 weekly from 8th December
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...-to-stockholm#

Tunis will be served daily starting next winter
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...becomes-daily#

patel2897, firoz bharmal liked this post
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #2818
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3613

Whats the update on Qatar Airways they will take A320neo or going for B737Max ?
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2819
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel2897 View Post
Whats the update on Qatar Airways they will take A320neo or going for B737Max ?
They switched their 320NEO to 321NEOs, and they will also be taking all of their Max orders.

noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #2820
Seljuk

Qatar Airways to launch St. Petersburg starting 19th December

Helsinki, Prague and Warsaw will be double daily from mid-December

patel2897, firoz bharmal liked this post

Last edited by Seljuk; October 14th, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae