daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #281
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18184

Emirates Airline begins Houston-to-Dubai service
3 December 2007

HOUSTON (AP) - Emirates Airline on Monday began nonstop service between Houston and Dubai, connecting the two international energy hubs.

Service aboard the new Boeing 777-200LR initially will operate three times a week before increasing to daily service in February.

Sheik Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, the airline's chairman, said the Americas is a high priority in Emirates' aggressive expansion plans. Emirates introduced daily nonstop service to Dubai from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport in mid-2004 and added a second daily flight in 2005.

"Since the launch of service from New York in 2004, we have been received enthusiastically in the region and this latest introduction further extends our capabilities to serve all markets of North and South America," he said.

The Houston service marks the 99th destination in 62 countries served by the airline.

A first-class, round-trip ticket from Houston to Dubai will go for about $12,900, said Emirates spokeswoman Sharon Harper, while business-class tickets will cost about $8,700. Economy seats will vary in price depending on the time of booking and travel. One such ticket will sell for $1,022, Harper said.

In a sign of Middle Eastern airlines' rapid expansion, carriers ordered 140 planes for nearly $40 billion from both Airbus and Boeing Co. earlier this month at the Dubai Airshow.

Emirates said it set a record at the show by inking nearly $35 billion in contracts and order options.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #282
weltmeister
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

racism isn't an issue really it exists almost all over the world and also rampant in many far eastern countries. only when it comes to western countries do we hear complaints though.
weltmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #283
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

Baffled by Emirates Roar

How, on Earth, can this airline be able to do what it is doing? I'm simply baffled!

I mean, yeah, other Asian and European airlines are also extremely optimistic about the rise of the world's aviation traffic in the future such as: Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, Air China, and China Southern Airlines. But, what is happening at Emirates is totally unpresidented!

What, on Earth, is the secret to their success?!
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #284
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I'm happy for Emirates but I wonder that too. It seems like they fly in 777-300ER's to airports where other airlines are flying in MD80s, 737s and A320s.....Birmingham(BHX) for example.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #285
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

DXB is centrally located which helps for connection flights to almost anyone in the world. That's what EK is doing. Make all passengers connect through Dubai. E.g. Australia-Europe via Dubai. North America - Asia via Dubai, etc.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #286
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I'm happy for Emirates but I wonder that too. It seems like they fly in 777-300ER's to airports where other airlines are flying in MD80s, 737s and A320s.....Birmingham(BHX) for example.
That's a really confusing statement.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #287
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
That's a really confusing statement.
I was trying to explain how I'm baffled that Emirates does so well bringing large widebody jets into every airport they fly to while other airlines seem struggle filling much smaller jets to the same airport. Hopefully that's clearer.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #288
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Emirates flies a lot of long-haul routes, and the aircraft types that can do that are limited.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #289
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Exactly.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #290
grjplanes

Likes (Received): 47

Just announced the long awaited DXB-CPT flights to start from 30 March, operating daily with A330-200, switching to 777-200 from 1 October '08
grjplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #291
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Well emirates cant exactly fly in 737s from Dubai all the way to Birmingham now can they, they have to use longer haul aircraft. Of course your argument can be put on the middle east sector where emirates still use A330 and 777 aircraft on short haul flights within the middle east and to countries like Pakistan. The load factor though from dubai to these countries is very high due to dubai having a very large expatriate population and also because it is a regional centre of business and so their strategy of having a fleet completely consisting of medium and long haul aircraft works for them.

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #292
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 116

I know this will start a flame (and I do not mean for it to be)

I find it hard to believe that Emirates will be able to keep 55+ A380's and other jumbo and large aircraft filled enough to make the type of profits that they envision.

Dubai, their home base city has a population of what? 1.4mm?

I realize that the spin to the world is that the Dubai growth (you know the fancy towers, cute man-made islands and other toys based on some sheiks wet-dream) is based primarily on tourism --- for which I do not buy that spin... I think the 90-$100 USD per barrel oil prices have a major factor in this growth --- much more than is spun by the pro-Dubai crowd. Also, why in the hell would I want to connect in Dubai, assuming I fly Emirates, to go to London from San Francisco... or connect in Dubai to travel to Hong Kong... I think not!

Lets face reality here folks. The Middle East and yes Dubai overall is NOT a place for Europeans or Americans. Please do not reply that I have never been there so how would I know. I have. On business (Dubai and other areas) and also as a member of the US Marine Corps during operation desert storm in the early 90's (remember that? When we rescued a fellow Arab country from a very nasty neighbor --- that would be Kuwait). [Slightly off topic: Guess what my unit did when we deployed to Saudi Arabia during the early days of the first gulf war? Guarded the oil fields... or specifically guarded some spoiled Saudi princes assets so he can buy his very own toy... a private A380 aircraft. I find this display of "in your face" arrogant wealth grotesque and nauseating. I cannot believe I risked my neck for that type of behaviour --- NEVER AGAIN.]

My point is if Dubai can become a haven for Americans on holiday, and they fly there via Emirates, how long do you think it will take for a bunch of extremists and Islamic terrorists to start targeting these areas and Dubai itself? IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK!

Can Emirates sustain this growth? We shall see. I view Emirates growth plans and fleet expansion based more on irrational exuberance than anything else (same as Dubai as a whole). This irrational exuberance is similar to the American Internet expansion and bust of the early 2000's and our current crisis with the residential real estate market IMHO.

I realize pro-Emirates and pro-Dubai folks will not like my comments at all. If one can get past a knee jerk reaction some valid points are made that are worthy of debate.
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #293
ABQ_X-PAT

Dubai and its slavery and Saudi Arabia and its 200 lashes --- who needs it!

My view is this. If you fly Emirates you support slavery. Please spare me that the workers are much better off being mistreated in Dubai than the way they were mistreated in their home countries. That is rubbish and anyone who defends this should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, one of the senior VP's of Emirates came out saying that he thinks global warming is pure rubbish --- I guess since he lives in a desert where it is hot already? Anyway that type of thinking is one of the reasons why the planet is in the trouble that it is in now. I include some Americans in this group BTW... The comments of this Emirates big-shot is why many will not fly that airline EVER based on such backwards thinking.

Also, why would anyone want to go to visit Dubai or any other Arab country where they have laws that sentence female victims of GANG RAPES to 200 lashes and prison time? Is that what American and European visitors to the Arab countries have to look forward to if they are a victim of a crime?

I wish to God that good ole American ingenuity would kick in where we develop an alternative oil source so we can stop subsidizing this non-sense with outrageous oil prices! It is a dream that I am afraid I will not see in this lifetime.

Last edited by ABQ_X-PAT; December 19th, 2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Punc
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #294
ABQ_X-PAT

Emirates Boss: Global Warming Theory Is Rubbish! (Way to go! Piss on your customers!

Yet another reason for me NOT to fly on an airline whose growth is based in irrational exuberance. Only a fool would deny global warming after the mountain of evidence above and beyond the film made by the former US Vice President.

=========================================================

A top executive of Dubai-based carrier Emirates on Thursday rubbished Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore's Oscar-winning documentary on climate change, saying he did not believe the film's scientific theory on global warming.

"Don't talk to me about global warming... I just do not buy it whatsoever," Maurice Flanagan, Emirates executive vice chairman, said at a regional aviation conference in Singapore.

"Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth' is absolute rubbish," added Flanagan, who said he had watched the documentary three times.

More here: http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/2007...sgorefilm.html

Last edited by ABQ_X-PAT; December 21st, 2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Punc
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #295
Luka

Likes (Received): 2831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
My view is this. If you fly Emirates you support slavery. Please spare me that the workers are much better off being mistreated in Dubai than the way they were mistreated in their home countries. That is rubbish and anyone who defends this should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, one of the senior VP's of Emirates came out saying that he thinks global warming is pure rubbish --- I guess since he lives in a desert where it is hot already? Anyway that type of thinking is one of the reasons why the planet is in the trouble that it is in now. I include some Americans in this group BTW... The comments of this Emirates big-shot is why many will not fly that airline EVER based on such backwards thinking.

Also, why would anyone want to go to visit Dubai or any other Arab country where they have laws that sentence female victims of GANG RAPES to 200 lashes and prison time? Is that what American and European visitors to the Arab countries have to look forward to if they are a victim of a crime?

I wish to God that good ole American ingenuity would kick in where we develop an alternative oil source so we can stop subsidizing this non-sense with outrageous oil prices! It is a dream that I am afraid I will not see in this lifetime.
I fail to see what this has to do with aviation and news from Emirates airlines expansions. Those that go to work in Emirates apply at their own will. They are not forced. I have been to Dubai and it is a weird but very interesting place, a bit fake and kitsch but still interesting to see its modernisation. I don't know what the case in Saudi Arabia has to do with it. Also since you are American you are the one that is least to complain about global warming being the only country deliberately not taking any action, not even signing the Kyoto Protocol. I really don't think people go and search up quotes from an Emirates CEO before they decide to buy a ticket
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #296
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
Yet another reason for me NOT to fly on an airline whose growth is based in irrational exuberance. Only a fool would deny global warming after the mountain of evidence above and beyond the file my the former Vice President.

=========================================================

A top executive of Dubai-based carrier Emirates on Thursday rubbished Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore's Oscar-winning documentary on climate change, saying he did not believe the film's scientific theory on global warming.

"Don't talk to me about global warming... I just do not buy it whatsoever," Maurice Flanagan, Emirates executive vice chairman, said at a regional aviation conference in Singapore.

"Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth' is absolute rubbish," added Flanagan, who said he had watched the documentary three times.

More here: http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/2007...sgorefilm.html

Greed is all I can say... I cant stand the corporate world...
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #297
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I doubt he's the first person in a powerful position of a big business to hold such views.

Anything for another dollar...
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #298
ABQ_X-PAT

Emirates is a home town airline for Dubai is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka View Post
I fail to see what this has to do with aviation and news from Emirates airlines expansions. Those that go to work in Emirates apply at their own will. They are not forced. I have been to Dubai and it is a weird but very interesting place, a bit fake and kitsch but still interesting to see its modernisation. I don't know what the case in Saudi Arabia has to do with it. Also since you are American you are the one that is least to complain about global warming being the only country deliberately not taking any action, not even signing the Kyoto Protocol. I really don't think people go and search up quotes from an Emirates CEO before they decide to buy a ticket
Emirates is a home town airline for Dubai is it not? They fly the majority of these workers into Dubai yes? How many of those workers who were recruited to come to Dubai to work on those towers and infrastructure were told one thing only to discover what they were told did not pan out (IE. slave labor and sub-par wage, living and working conditions). Emirates is profiting off of this behaviour and is rightly criticized for it.

I was in Dubai last year. Yes the construction and towers are intriguing as I am a big fan of modern skyscrapers. I wonder how many corners are being cut to get those things built as fast as possible? What building codes are they following? Hey look at America and Las Vegas. We have our very own form of tacky with those behemoths that they continue to build there.

I only bring up Saudi Arabia as the impression is that the whole area is a Arab brotherhood where the Wahhabi form of Islam is practised and tolerated for it's extremes. Is Dubai also in this category? Do they also tolerate 200 lashes and prison time for a victim of gang rape? Why on earth would westerners want to fly on Emirates to such a place that tolerates this outrage?

As far as global warming and America goes you are correct. We have much work to do here and need to lead as opposed to being a detriment to a solution. Most of this has to do with the American form of Government that was dominated by our own version of conservative extremism for the last seven years. These people receive millions of dollars in political contributions to their campaigns by the fossil fuel companies (which is a disgrace). This is changing and the biggest obstacle to a solution for global warming in America will be out of office in a year due to presidential term limits. Also, his political party lost their majority in Congress last year with all signs pointing to a leader who will do something about the global warming problem being elected next year. There is hope on this issue IF the world can come together and solve it.

You are correct about people not looking up quotes from Emirates executives before flying unless they already know about them beforehand due to word of mouth and other means of communication such as these blogs. Outrage is a powerful force. If the Emirates brass keep talking like that will find out the hard way via the market why they are so wrong.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #299
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I wouldn't think cost-conscious contractors would fly migrant workers to Dubai on Emirates. You'd think they'd fly them on some third-class carrier using decrepit planes to save money.

Old December 21st, 2007, 12:42 AM   #300
ABQ_X-PAT

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I wouldn't think cost-conscious contractors would fly migrant workers to Dubai on Emirates. You'd think they'd fly them on some third-class carrier using decrepit planes to save money.
This is a very good point. Although how many discount carriers can make the long-haul flights from some of these far off places?

I LOVE Hong Kong BTW... I cannot get enough of that city.

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae