daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #1021
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11247

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino lo spazzino View Post

That's also true, moreover (for as I see it) this flight could be a wake up call to american airlines that could offer more destinations from Milan (for example: Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, etc.).

EK has been very smart to put the flight in the afternoon, a time slot is very much in demand here in Milan for New York (especially for the bussines man), moreover, on the route Emirates will offer a high quality service: First Class, Lounge with direct boarding (I refer at the EK Lounge , open from January at the new satellite of MXP), limousine service and the possibility of connecting with other Italian and American cities, thanks to the alliance with Easyjet and Jet Blue
In addition, I would not be surprised if EK will do the same thing that made Cathay Pacific a few months ago: a partnership with Italo (the high-speed train) to give the possibility to the cities of Bologna and Florence to take advantage of the flight from Milan
Speaking of more flights, I'm still dreaming of a nonstop Milan-San Francisco flight with United... Alitalia used to operate to San Francisco before from Rome and Milan, and now, it only operates to Los Angeles on a charter basis. I sense that there is still demand for flights between Italy and California, it just hasn't been revisited for some time now for a full-time service restoration.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #1022
gino lo spazzino
Go Crazy!

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Speaking of more flights, I'm still dreaming of a nonstop Milan-San Francisco flight with United... Alitalia used to operate to San Francisco before from Rome and Milan, and now, it only operates to Los Angeles on a charter basis. I sense that there is still demand for flights between Italy and California, it just hasn't been revisited for some time now for a full-time service restoration.
I also would like very much a Milan-San Francisco with United (I have taken UA last year for Toronto: MXP-EWR-YYZ, i found it 767 a very comfortable plane), maybe one day Emirates may decide to do it.

Alitalia has never operated the FCO-SFO route, it did operated SFO only from MXP and they have closed due to the aircraft not suitable (Alitalia 767 came to the hair to SFO and, many times, it had to stop in Sacramento)

Flights from Italy to California, from 2011, are on a seasonal basis and you have reason: the traffic between Italy and California there is still, only that Alitalia has chosen a hub that is not able to exploit the potential that this traffic can offer (and, obviously, the European airlines thank Alitalia for this)

P.S I have forgot to mention that, in addition to passenger flight, Emirates SkyCargo will offer a total of 38 tons of freight capacity between MXP-JFK every day
gino lo spazzino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1023
tunimaroc
Tunisian Moderator

Likes (Received): 722

i heard qatar airways will land today for the first time in chicago with a daily flight links Doha to Chicago.
tunimaroc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1024
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunimaroc View Post
i heard qatar airways will land today for the first time in chicago with a daily flight links Doha to Chicago.
Yes, you heard that right. It is...

QR991 DOH0800 — 1400ORD

I'm tracking the flight using Flight Aware, and it is going to arrive late in ORD as it is the maiden flight between Doha and the Windy City. It is operated with a 3-class B77W.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

tunimaroc liked this post
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1025
eladkram29

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunimaroc View Post
Yup but only thrice weekly for now because of aircraft shortage. Then it will go daily by June 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Yes, you heard that right. It is...

QR991 DOH0800 — 1400ORD

I'm tracking the flight using Flight Aware, and it is going to arrive late in ORD as it is the maiden flight between Doha and the Windy City. It is operated with a 3-class B77W.
Nope it is not a 3-Class B77W, it is only a bi-class B77W. QR orders its Boeing planes with bi-class configuration only.

You can read it here about their maiden flight: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-release...202418971.html

tunimaroc liked this post
eladkram29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #1026
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eladkram29 View Post
Nope it is not a 3-Class B77W, it is only a bi-class B77W. QR orders its Boeing planes with bi-class configuration only.

You can read it here about their maiden flight: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-release...202418971.html
Really...? Huh, I recall QR also provides F class on select aircraft. Maybe I misread something... I thought QR also provides F class on select 77W, but it looks like it only comes as a 2-class (J and Y classes). I'll remember from now on, QR provides F class on select A333s and all A346s.

Old April 12th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #1027
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

And speaking of Emirates...

Emirates will commence flights between Dubai and Stockholm starting 4 September 2013. It will be operated daily on a 3-class B777-300ER, with First Class Suite. Schedule:

EK157 DXB0715 – 1200ARN 77W D
EK158 ARN1355 – 2225DXB 77W D

Source

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1028
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
Of course, for consumers it's a very nice move. But on the other side we have Alitalia and it's workers.
Probably if the worker's hadn't been to busy sitting around at cafes drinking their latte's the national carrier / country wouldn't be in the terrible financial situation it's presently facing...
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1029
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1030
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

EY to BEG!

http://www.etihad.com/en-au/about-us...grade-flights/

EY are in BEG to kick Austrian/LH's ass!

Etihad for the win!
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1031
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
It does, but there is a big BUT - they don't play a chess game. In other words, Emirates has a lot of benefits such as very flexible labour law (or minimum of it), strong financial support and etc.
Come on, sour apples .... it's always other's fault
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1032
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14459

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Come on, sour apples .... it's always other's fault
Just outlining the facts.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1033
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62889

Etihad has bought into another foreign airline, this time India's Jet Airways. Part of the deal is that Jet Airways will set up a scissor hub in Abu Dhabi that will pretty much turn the airline into a mixed Indian/Gulf airline.

Quote:
Etihad Airways to invest US $379 million for a 24 per cent stake in Jet Airways

Etihad Airways of the United Arab Emirates and Jet Airways of India today announced that the UAE national carrier has agreed to subscribe for 27,263,372 new shares in Jet Airways at a price of INR754.74 per share. The value of this equity investment is US$379 million and will result in Etihad Airways holding 24 per cent of the enlarged share capital of Jet Airways.

Etihad Airways' wider overall commitment to Jet Airways includes the injection of US$220 million to create and strengthen a wide-ranging partnership between the two carriers.

As part of this Etihad Airways paid US$70 million to purchase Jet Airways’ three pairs of Heathrow slots through the sale and lease back agreement announced on 27 February 2013. Jet Airways continues to operate flights to London utilising these slots.

An amount of US$150 million will be invested by Etihad Airways by way of a majority equity investment in Jet Airways’ frequent flyer program "Jet Privilege", subject to appropriate regulatory and corporate approvals and final commercial agreements which are expected to be completed within the next six months.

Under the strategic partnership, which will be subject to full regulatory and shareholder approval, the airlines will gradually expand existing operations and introduce new routes between India and Abu Dhabi, providing an ever wider choice to the travelling public. They will combine their network of 140 destinations, with Jet Airways establishing a Gulf gateway in Abu Dhabi and expanding its reach through Etihad Airways’ growing global network.

Passengers from 23 cities in India will benefit from direct connections to international destinations. New flights from Jet Airways’ home hubs and metro airports will further strengthen its current operations from these airports. Jet Airways’ vision continues to be to develop Delhi and Mumbai airports as its primary home hubs and connecting them to Asian, European and other regions.
Etihad press release:
http://www.etihad.com/en-nl/about-us...orge-alliance/

News article on the scissor hub and new routes.
Quote:
Jet Airways eyes global footprint via Abu Dhabi

NEW DELHI: This could be the biggest ever global footprint plan firmed up by an Indian carrier. Jet Airways has decided to link 23 Indian cities to numerous points in the US (including a nonstop to San Francisco), Gulf, east Africa and Europe via Abu Dhabi. These flights will be in addition to the nonstops it operates directly from India to the west and Southeast Asia, which are going to be increased also.

The airline, which currently has 100 aircraft in its fleet, has told the government it is in talks with Boeing to place a massive order for Boeing 737 Max and 777s.

According to the plan, Jet will kick-start this expansion by operating its wide-body aircraft like the Boeing 777 and Airbus A-330 from Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai (in first phase) and Hyderabad, Cochin and Trivandrum (in second phase) to Abu Dhabi. Replicating its 'scissor' operation of Brussels on a much larger scale, these aircraft will then fly onwards to US cities like San Francisco, Washington, New York, Newark and Chicago.

In addition to the flights via Abu Dhabi, Jet has sought more flying points in Europe like Paris, Zurich, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Amsterdam, Manchester, Copenhagen and Barcelona to India.
full article:
http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i...w/19642581.cms
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1034
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Austrian government won't allow EK to deploy the A380 to VIE. As expected...
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1035
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Austrian government won't allow EK to deploy the A380 to VIE. As expected...
Europe - leading the way in ruining air travel.
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1036
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Qatar Airways Announces Routes In US, Africa, Phillipines

Qatar Airways is expected to start new service to Philadelphia in the US, Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, and Clark International Airport in the Philippines in addition to an increase in capacity to Pakistan.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1037
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Qatar Airways Announces Routes In US, Africa, Phillipines

Qatar Airways is expected to start new service to Philadelphia in the US, Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, and Clark International Airport in the Philippines in addition to an increase in capacity to Pakistan.
I've heard of that already from another thread here as well... I suspect that the PHL service will be served with either a B77W or B77L, while service to Clark (north of Manila) would be a boost to an already 2x daily rotation between Manila and Doha, which is a very popular route.

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #1038
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Philadelphia is an interesting choice.

Does Qatar fly to Newark?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1039
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post

Nope. It flies to JFK, same as EY, KU, and SV.

Old May 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1040
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post

I found Philadelphia to be an interesting choice as well (honestly I thought either Detroit, Boston, or Atlanta would receive service first) but it makes sense when you consider the US Airways and future American Airlines hub located there which would provide passengers with numerous connections within the US.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae