daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1181
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11256

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Emirates is starting TPE next year with six weekly rotations. All on the 777-300ER. FEB 10, 2014. Three class T7.
This is quite long overdue already, especially nearby airports already see multiple frequencies from DXB with EK. Finally, a TPE-DXB rotation is getting closer to reality... I wonder where you got that info, though?
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1182
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11256

Quote:
Originally Posted by okach1 View Post

What is SAS Md-80(?) doing there?
Could be on a daily rotation between LHR and CPH, ARN, or OSL.
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1183
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,235
Likes (Received): 62992

That's exactly the issue that Tim Clark, the CEO of Emirates has with LHR when it comes to the capacity problems. There are still enough airlines that fly these kind of small aircraft into this slot restricted airport. There's still enough room for growth without the need for extra runways if they would only allow bigger planes.
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1184
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
That's exactly the issue that Tim Clark, the CEO of Emirates has with LHR when it comes to the capacity problems. There are still enough airlines that fly these kind of small aircraft into this slot restricted airport. There's still enough room for growth without the need for extra runways if they would only allow bigger planes.
Yes, but at the same time though, those airlines wouldn't be flying larger aircrafts as it doesn't make sense to do so!
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1185
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
That's exactly the issue that Tim Clark, the CEO of Emirates has with LHR when it comes to the capacity problems. There are still enough airlines that fly these kind of small aircraft into this slot restricted airport. There's still enough room for growth without the need for extra runways if they would only allow bigger planes.
Sure, but those airlines use smaller aircraft, not only because those make more sense to operate them (especially with shorter distances), but it also improves aircraft turnaround time, especially with congested airports like LHR. With short turnaround times accomplished by smaller cabins and fewer seats on board, such flights can arrive and depart in a shorter period of time than cleaning up and restocking VLAs like the A380.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Yes, but at the same time though, those airlines wouldn't be flying larger aircraft as it doesn't make sense to do so!
That argument is true too. You'd need to consider, not just the aircraft type/s used for each route, but also the demand for such routes. EK can do up to five A380 flights daily because the demand is there (especially DXB is a very popular transit point for passengers flying in from the Middle East, Africa, South and Southeast Asia, and Australia); same goes with other carriers doing the DXB-LHR route with QF, BA, and VS.
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1186
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,235
Likes (Received): 62992

Tim Clark just wants to add more flights to Heathrow.

And with the main issue being the runway capacity, not the terminal capacity he really doesn't see the need for the likes of SAS or KLM to send small regional aircraft to Heathrow. Turn the airport purely in the main intercontinental gateway into London, and let European airlines that only use it to feed their own hubs move to any of the other airports around London. KLM could for example easily send their Fokker 70s and A190s into London City for example. Opening up slots for more intercontinental flights with bigger planes.
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1187
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Tim Clark just wants to add more flights to Heathrow.

And with the main issue being the runway capacity, not the terminal capacity he really doesn't see the need for the likes of SAS or KLM to send small regional aircraft to Heathrow. Turn the airport purely in the main intercontinental gateway into London, and let European airlines that only use it to feed their own hubs move to any of the other airports around London. KLM could for example easily send their Fokker 70s and A190s into London City for example. Opening up slots for more intercontinental flights with bigger planes.
That can be done. But there's a catch: how about transit passengers to and from BA or another airline serving a destination currently not served by EK? What will their transit options be like: head to Gatwick, take the Tube to City Airport, get a cab for Luton? There will be passengers flying in to and from obscure destinations like Palma, Tenerife, Luxembourg, or other European cities that would use LHR to transit to and from an EK flight...
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1188
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր
 
bagus70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surabaya. The City of Hot Headed Heroes.
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 889

I wonder if this true?

It seemed that all of the leading Gulf-based airlines are managed by British people, people that educated in Britain, or influenced by British style hospitality.

Whereas those that does not fare too well (despite of their large fleet) have American influence.

This is my summary:

British influence:
- Emirates
- Qatar Airways
- Etihad
- Gulf Air

American influence:
- Saudi Arabian Airlines
- Kuwait Airways
__________________
Visit Indonesia and enjoy the railway tour, volcanoes tour such as visit to mount Bromo and Ijen. Click: http://www.indonesianrailwaytour.com/
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1189
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,235
Likes (Received): 62992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That can be done. But there's a catch: how about transit passengers to and from BA or another airline serving a destination currently not served by EK? What will their transit options be like: head to Gatwick, take the Tube to City Airport, get a cab for Luton? There will be passengers flying in to and from obscure destinations like Palma, Tenerife, Luxembourg, or other European cities that would use LHR to transit to and from an EK flight...
EK doesn't really care about that, and I doubt that there are many people transfering from other European destinations to EK in LHR. The British market, especially the London market is big enough for all the EK flight to Heathrow and Gatwick.

With EK serving so many European destinations there are always airports that are closer by which are also more logically located. Someone from Luxembourg can always fly (or drive) to Dόsseldorf or Frankfurt to take 1 of the EK flights from those airports.

At the end of the day, if there's enough traffic it will be interesting for Emirates to open a new flight to these smaller European destinations. That's their main business model, fly people from A to B with just 1 connection at their own hub in Dubai. This is emphasized by the lack of codeshare agreements in Europe, they are only focussing on direct connections to Dubai.
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1190
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم
 
Alrayyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,828
Likes (Received): 483

QATAR AIRWAYS AND FC BARCELONA

6 to 8 Qatar Airways planes will feature the FCB livery, they will be 777's and 787's.(according to Akbar Al-Baker)









__________________

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين

압둘라-爱- LOVE liked this post
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1191
cthighflyer
Registered User
 
cthighflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cape town / dubai / bangkok
Posts: 368
Likes (Received): 20

((((((((((
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Last edited by cthighflyer; August 29th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
cthighflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1192
cthighflyer
Registered User
 
cthighflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cape town / dubai / bangkok
Posts: 368
Likes (Received): 20

Another thing Regarding Qatar Airways

It is really easy to catch up when you do absolutely none of the leg work and just follow another airline around.

QR already announced MIA and ATL last year but didn't announce a starting date rather TBD instead. As soon as EK announces timings and QR can be sure they can copy the timings, ground service provider, and crew hotel then they will announce the starting date and claim that they started service first because they announced the route first.

Another thing.....What's up with guys stepping on people on the radio. Do they not teach switching freq's and listening up for a minute before transmitting.....I promise, your flight is not going to get lost if you don't talk immediately. Here is a hint.........if you can't hear ATC but you can hear other aircraft, ATC probably can't hear you. Why not wait until you can hear ATC so you don't step on the controller and force a more congested frequency because he keeps having to repeat himself.
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West
cthighflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1193
압둘라-爱- LOVE
'대한민국'
 
압둘라-爱- LOVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 서울,부산,도쿄,오사카,리야드
Posts: 1,234
Likes (Received): 1693

new boeing b777-300er for saudi arabian airlines

__________________
“”
🆃🅷🅴 🅱🅴🆂🆃

m-man liked this post
압둘라-爱- LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #1194
Pedro EM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
EK doesn't really care about that, and I doubt that there are many people transfering from other European destinations to EK in LHR. The British market, especially the London market is big enough for all the EK flight to Heathrow and Gatwick.

With EK serving so many European destinations there are always airports that are closer by which are also more logically located. Someone from Luxembourg can always fly (or drive) to Dόsseldorf or Frankfurt to take 1 of the EK flights from those airports.

At the end of the day, if there's enough traffic it will be interesting for Emirates to open a new flight to these smaller European destinations. That's their main business model, fly people from A to B with just 1 connection at their own hub in Dubai. This is emphasized by the lack of codeshare agreements in Europe, they are only focussing on direct connections to Dubai.
Looks like you beat me to it. They usually have enough customers to fill a plane to Dubai and beyond.
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1195
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I wonder if this true?

It seemed that all of the leading Gulf-based airlines are managed by British people, people that educated in Britain, or influenced by British style hospitality.

Whereas those that does not fare too well (despite of their large fleet) have American influence.

This is my summary:

British influence:
- Emirates
- Qatar Airways
- Etihad
- Gulf Air

American influence:
- Saudi Arabian Airlines
- Kuwait Airways
1. Gulf Air is crap
2. Etihad is run by an American ... who used to run Gulf Air
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1196
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The European market is already quite saturated. While I'm pretty sure Emirates will add Oslo, Toulouse and Helsinki in the foreseeable future, their expansion rate there is going to slow down considerably. If anything they will add capacity on their existing European routes but not add new European destinations.

Instead they will focus on adding new destinations in the Asia-Pacific region, because that's where the growth is.

IMO they will add the following destinations in the next 5 years:

Cairns
Cebu
Chengdu
Denpasar
Hanoi
Kunming
Shenyang
Surabaya
Taipei
Yangon
They want to expand in the Philippines, but they aren't allowed. Same with China, although they did sign last week an agreement to be allowed to expand to three (I think) more Chinese cities, but I can't remember the names. The news piece should be there somewhere.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1197
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,821
Likes (Received): 11256

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post

They want to expand in the Philippines, but they aren't allowed. Same with China, although they did sign last week an agreement to be allowed to expand to three (I think) more Chinese cities, but I can't remember the names. The news piece should be there somewhere.
I don't think it isn't really they aren't allowed to expand in the Philippines. It's just that the current policies only allow such departures from Manila and Clark at the moment... and now that the hideous Common Carriers Tax is now eliminated, I believe that policy changes are ought to be made in the Philippines to finally allow carriers like EK, EY, and QR to mount even more flights to the Philippines. I mean, despite the runway closure in Dubai, EK still operates all 3 daily flights between Manila and Dubai, which I sense is one of the airline's key routes.
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:41 AM   #1198
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր
 
bagus70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surabaya. The City of Hot Headed Heroes.
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
2. Etihad is run by an American ... who used to run Gulf Air
I said "British influence". Doesn't necessarily run by Britons, but could be by the Arabs or Americans who were influenced by British.
__________________
Visit Indonesia and enjoy the railway tour, volcanoes tour such as visit to mount Bromo and Ijen. Click: http://www.indonesianrailwaytour.com/
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:49 AM   #1199
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
1. Gulf Air is crap
2. Etihad is run by an American ... who used to run Gulf Air
James Hogan is Australian as far as I know.
__________________

firoz bharmal liked this post
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1200
m-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 970
Likes (Received): 601

Etihad flights to have Flying Nannies

Quote:


Etihad Airways has launched a dedicated in-flight child care assistance programme for families, after the introduction of a new Flying Nanny on board long haul flights.
Etihad announces the in-flight service at Yas Viceroy Hotel, Abu Dhabi.

Identified by bright orange aprons, each Flying Nanny aims to provide a ‘helping hand’ to families and unaccompanied minors. They will also introduce children to the exciting collectable Etihad characters — Zoe the bee, Jamool the camel, Kundai the lion, and Boo the panda — who accompany them on their trip.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-artic...=nationgeneral
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium