daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1201
m-man

Likes (Received): 601

Etihad inaugural flight from Abu Dhabi to Sanaa

From Etihad Google+ account:
Our inaugural flight from Abu Dhabi to Sana’a touched down earlier today, marking our eighth destination on the Arabian Peninsula!

m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1202
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
... despite the runway closure in Dubai...
What runaway closure? That will happen in July 2014 .... and still there is another Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I said "British influence". Doesn't necessarily run by Britons, but could be by the Arabs or Americans who were influenced by British.
Yes, UAE used to be a British colony, so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-man View Post
James Hogan is Australian as far as I know.
I know him to be American
I can cheat you blind.

Highcliff liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1203
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

James Hogan (born 28 November 1956 in Melbourne, Victoria) is an Australian airline executive based in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. He is President and CEO of Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE.[1]
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1204
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4965

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
What runaway closure? That will happen in July 2014 .... and still there is another Airport

Yes, UAE used to be a British colony, so?

I know him to be American
James Hogan is Australian. Americans don't know how to run airlines.

QatPhils liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1205
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
James Hogan is Australian. Americans don't know how to run airlines.
You got that right. Just look at our crappy airlines and their ranks in customer service.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #1206
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The runway closure at DXB for 80 days next year... It has been updated a few times at Airline Route, and it seems like EK's flights to major destinations aren't that affected (like, literally, no flight reductions). It's like, DXBBKK will be cut from six to four daily flights, DXBHKG from three to two, and so on... Heck, DXBVIE will be reduced from 13 weekly to 6 during the runway closure too next year.

Rohnert Park Rio Vista Richmond Redwood City Portola Valley Pleasanton Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1207
abhijith16

Likes (Received): 2403

Gulf Air will increase it's Pakistani operations and will possibly add a new Indian destination in the upcoming W13 schedule.

Source:- Gulf Life (inflight magazine)
abhijith16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1208
Airport Addict

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Americans don't know how to run airlines.
Could you please clarify your bold assertion with facts and figures.

If you take profitability, Americans do know very well how to run airlines. They can make them profitable (if not vastly profitable):
http://de.slideshare.net/a4amediarelations/airli
- with fierce competition in the domestic market and overwhelmingly unionized labor forces
- in a market where customers have shown since decades that they are interested only in the lowest ticket prices.

Until you prove me wrong, I will assert that Qatar and Etihad are not profitable but have an easy time of flying because the national governments wil throw as much money into these airlines as is necessary to spread their wings far and wide as instruments of national pride. Maybe even because of envy because Emirates - run by a Brit - is profitable.
Under these circumstances, it would perhaps be even easier for an American than for an Australian to run an airline in the sense that they can hire crew from all over the world and stuff their cabins with the glitziest seats.

But for Americans (and Europeans) an unprofitable airline is a poorly run airline.
Airport Addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1209
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Addict View Post

If you take profitability, Americans do know very well how to run airlines. They can make them profitable (if not vastly profitable):
- with fierce competition in the domestic market and overwhelmingly unionized labor forces
- in a market where customers have shown since decades that they are interested only in the lowest ticket prices.

Until you prove me wrong, I will assert that Qatar and Etihad are not profitable but have an easy time of flying because the national governments wil throw as much money into these airlines as is necessary to spread their wings far and wide as instruments of national pride. Maybe even because of envy because Emirates - run by a Brit - is profitable.
Under these circumstances, it would perhaps be even easier for an American than for an Australian to run an airline in the sense that they can hire crew from all over the world and stuff their cabins with the glitziest seats.

But for Americans (and Europeans) an unprofitable airline is a poorly run airline.
Anyone can make a profit by running terrible airlines. Since all of them suck equally, you can't switch. Let's see an American airline that makes money selling a product that's as good as East Asian or ME airlines. An LCC from these regions will shit all over American carriers. It's not just that, even the airports suck balls. Penny-pinching, nickel and dimeing, shitty old rickety planes, old hag air hostesses, terrible to no IFE, no food. What great airlines!

Oh, and before you tell me how Qatar and Etihad don't make any profits (Etihad actually does), maybe you'd also like to mention how American airlines get protection from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. But hey, I'll never hear you bitch about that.

And lastly, I don't give two craps why an airline is being run or by whom. I care about a nice experience not some dumbass ideologies.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1210
m-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Addict View Post

Actually Etihad is registering profits for the 2nd consecutive year.

Quote:
Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways, sponsor of Manchester City Football Club, has tripled its full-year profits.

The fast-growing airline posted net profits of $42m (27m; 31m euros) for 2012, up from $14m in 2011.

Revenues grew 17% from $4.1bn to $4.8bn, while passenger numbers topped 10 million for the first time.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21319270
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1211
m-man

Etihad Flying Nanny Launch Event

fieldsofdreams, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1212
Airport Addict

Likes (Received): 28

Thanks to m-man for pointing out my erroneous statement about Etihad.

@siamu maharaj:
How is the statement
Quote:
Anyone can make a profit by running terrible airlines.
not an example of
Quote:
some dumbass ideologies.
when you yourself note that they are profitable after benefiting
Quote:
American airlines get protection from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
and anyhow "they didn't know how to run airlines"?

Anyway, why do you go ballistic
Quote:
...all of them suck equally
...will shit all over American carriers
...airports suck balls
...I'll never hear you bitch about that.
...I don't give two craps why an airline is being run or by whom. I care about a nice experience not some dumbass ideologies.
when I never even hinted that American airlines try to give great service

I suggest to get back on topic as the views about Americans running airlines have run their course. Incidentally, are there any Americans in the management of the Gulf-based airlines?
Further, I know that Emirates has recently promoted an ex-Lufthansa executive, the Frenchman Thierry Antinory, to Executive Vice president and Chief Commercial Officer. Couldn't find any interviews of him since he "changed sides", as it were - are there any out there?

Last edited by Airport Addict; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
Airport Addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1213
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Why are we comparing American Airlines with Middle Eastern carriers, it's a whole different mind set and time all together.

When Pan Am was the talk of the town more or less Middle Eastern airlines did not exist, now the tables have turned and it's the Middle Eastern Airlines turn to shine a long with the Asians.

In a few decades some other region will have it's turn in the spot light and the Middle East will have problems of they're own just like the North American's have at the moment.

One problem Emirates will have in the future is being to big just like the Americans and replacing old airframes with new ones which will take a decade if not more to do. Also DXB is becoming a zoo, and it's only going to get worse with more pax coming through. God only knows what's going to happen when the oil runs out one day. Airspace is also going to be a massive problem with four huge airports next to each other, two in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha.

One high point the Americans have on all the other worlds airlines is mobile connectivity, no one comes close.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1214
abhijith16

Likes (Received): 2403

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
One high point the Americans have on all the other worlds airlines is mobile connectivity, no one comes close.
Emirates allows that on all of it's flights. Etihad/Qatar are not far behind. Oman Air has it on their A330 fleet. Gulf Air has it on their A320 family fleet.
abhijith16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1215
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijith16 View Post
Emirates allows that on all of it's flights. Etihad/Qatar are not far behind. Oman Air has it on their A330 fleet. Gulf Air has it on their A320 family fleet.
I do a lot a flying on EK and know that is not true, most of the A380's don't even have it, it's the newer 777's that have it actually.

Take a look at this link cause it gives you a better idea of who the leading airlines are.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/05/tr...ml?hpt=ibu_bn2
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1216
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Americans don't know how to run airlines.
I'm don't really agree with your statements. The airlines in America might be run in the same fashion as bus company, but there are many Americans who contribute to the success of many world airlines such as Emirates, Qatar Airways, Etihad, etc.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #1217
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

In my humble opinion, there's a major difference between "knowing how to run an airline properly" and "providing one of the best in-flight services to the passengers". Business-wise, all that matters is how much money the airline makes, irrespective of the service quality. Passenger-wise, the priorities are obviously going to be different.

US-based carriers may not offer the best flying experience, but that certainly doesn't mean Americans don't know how to run their airline companies.

Moreover, what's the most widely accepted definition of a well-run airline? Do factors like financial sustainability and profitability constitute airline success above all else, or is the service the most important factor?

Anyway, the airline industry is perhaps the most difficult sector for any business to generate profit(s).

Personally, I'm not going to get carried away with the news of Etihad Airways tripling their annual profits. Many of these state-owned Middle Eastern carriers are unsustainable by themselves, if not for the fact that they own stakes at other airlines around the World. Moreover, the governments that are sponsoring these airlines have many ways of increasing these companies' portfolios. For example, the government of Abu Dhabi could easily decide to grant land to Etihad Airways and buy it back after a period of time, which will make it appear as though the company made profit. Most of the GCC states have poor transparency indexes, therefore nothing will really surprise me.
Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1218
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9021

Quote:
I wonder if this true?

It seemed that all of the leading Gulf-based airlines are managed by British people, people that educated in Britain, or influenced by British style hospitality.

Whereas those that does not fare too well (despite of their large fleet) have American influence.

This is my summary:

British influence:
- Emirates
- Qatar Airways
- Etihad
- Gulf Air

American influence:
- Saudi Arabian Airlines
- Kuwait Airways
No such thing, to be honest.

Emirates is probably the only airline in the region that is influenced by individuals of an English-speaking nationality; and that's logical, given that the company is based in Dubai, which has become increasingly cosmopolitan and Western-oriented, and is also de facto an English-speaking city-state in almost the same mold as Singapore et al. (I say de facto because Dubai doesn't really have a constitution.) So it's fair to assume that the Emirates Group has come under the influence of British businessmen over the years, and that has indeed been the case. Dubai is very sustainable compared to other city-states in the GCC, thanks to its forward-thinking policies in the past couple of decades. Emirates airlines will continue to exist as long as the Dubai project continues to flourish.

Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways aren't as sustainable, in my opinion. Abu Dhabi's best way forward is to emulate the Dubai model, in my opinion. If they try a separate route, which they tried as of late, then they wont really succeed, to be honest.

Kuwait Airways is a sleeping giant. It was perhaps the greatest Middle Eastern carrier in the 70s and 80s, but the Gulf War made it take many steps backwards. Kuwait Airways is going to make a comeback. It's the only airline in the region that doesn't need to rely on transit passengers as much as its own local passengers. Kuwaitis love to travel, so there's a huge untapped domestic market for the airline. The company has undergone various reforms and restructuring in the past couple of years. Expect to see it reclaim the regional throne in the coming decade.
Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1219
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuit View Post
Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways aren't as sustainable, in my opinion. Abu Dhabi's best way forward is to emulate the Dubai model, in my opinion. If they try a separate route, which they tried as of late, then they wont really succeed, to be honest.
Sounds like they're influenced by the British model that already been applied in Emirates
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1220
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
I agree with you.

Sounds like they're influenced by the British model that already been applied in Emirates

Etihad have tried to Emulate the Qatar model recently, hopefully they have seen the error of their ways.

ABB and his gang's management style are hardly anything to be proud of

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae