daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1221
Airport Addict

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthighflyer View Post
ABB and his gang's management style are hardly anything to be proud of
Well, his habit of spewing condescending remarks about Airbus, Boeing, Bechtel, and whoever might have the misfortune of being his next supplier at least gets free publicity for his airline.
Good insight into his management style here:
http://dohanews.co/post/16857783121/...-future-cities
My favorite: "a lot of asses will be kicked"(5:40 in the video)

Yet, compared to the sheer witty irreverence of Mike O'Leary (Ryanair), AAB's application of this marketing tactic is positively coarse.
Airport Addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1222
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Addict View Post
Well, his habit of spewing condescending remarks about Airbus, Boeing, Bechtel, and whoever might have the misfortune of being his next supplier at least gets free publicity for his airline.
Good insight into his management style here:
http://dohanews.co/post/16857783121/...-future-cities
My favorite: "a lot of asses will be kicked"(5:40 in the video)

Yet, compared to the sheer witty irreverence of Mike O'Leary (Ryanair), AAB's application of this marketing tactic is positively coarse.
"A lot of asses will be kicked", indeed.
Including his own!!

AAB is on his way out!

Highcliff liked this post
cthighflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1223
m-man

Likes (Received): 601

India Cabinet Approves Abu Dhabi Air Accord to Add Flights (1)

Quote:
.India approved an accord with Abu Dhabi allowing carriers in the two countries to add flights.
The bilateral air services agreement with Abu Dhabi was approved by the cabinet, Farooq Abdullah, federal minister for renewable energy, told reporters in New Delhi today. The accord will more than triple the number of seats carriers can sell on flights between the two countries to about 50,000 per week through 2015 from 13,300 a week now, two government officials who were briefed on the matter said before the meeting.

The agreement will help Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways PJSC increase services to India as it seeks to purchase a 24 percent stake in Jet Airways (India) Ltd. (JETIN) to tap travel demand in a market that’s set to become the world’s second-fastest growing by 2016. An investment by Etihad will make it the first overseas carrier to invest in an existing local carrier after India eased ownership rules last year.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/news/...crease-flights
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1224
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuit View Post
No such thing, to be honest.

Emirates is probably the only airline in the region that is influenced by individuals of an English-speaking nationality; and that's logical, given that the company is based in Dubai, which has become increasingly cosmopolitan and Western-oriented, and is also de facto an English-speaking city-state in almost the same mold as Singapore et al. (I say de facto because Dubai doesn't really have a constitution.) So it's fair to assume that the Emirates Group has come under the influence of British businessmen over the years, and that has indeed been the case. Dubai is very sustainable compared to other city-states in the GCC, thanks to its forward-thinking policies in the past couple of decades. Emirates airlines will continue to exist as long as the Dubai project continues to flourish.

Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways aren't as sustainable, in my opinion. Abu Dhabi's best way forward is to emulate the Dubai model, in my opinion. If they try a separate route, which they tried as of late, then they wont really succeed, to be honest.

Kuwait Airways is a sleeping giant. It was perhaps the greatest Middle Eastern carrier in the 70s and 80s, but the Gulf War made it take many steps backwards. Kuwait Airways is going to make a comeback. It's the only airline in the region that doesn't need to rely on transit passengers as much as its own local passengers. Kuwaitis love to travel, so there's a huge untapped domestic market for the airline. The company has undergone various reforms and restructuring in the past couple of years. Expect to see it reclaim the regional throne in the coming decade.
Etihad has in no way copied Emirates. Etihad is the only UAE airline that flies to Chicago started flying to Dulles in Washington DC before Emirates, gets more Irish passengers from Dublin than Emirates and is the only airline that flies to Kazakhstan (Almaty and Astana)!!

While Emirates has been creating its own brand image by remaining as a stand alone airline, Etihad has been following a model buying into unsuccessful airline companies and forming partnerships through codeshare. They now make more than 1/3 of their revenue through this.

Emirates flies only long haul aircraft while Etihad has a mix of long and short haul planes. Emirates has followed the Singapore Airlines model while Etihad has been following more of a European system (Like IAG or Lufthansa-Swiss-Austrian or Air France-KLM).

However, when you look at Qatar airways, you can clearly see a pattern that follows Emirates airlines!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1225
abhijith16

Likes (Received): 2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post

Etihad has in no way copied Emirates. Etihad is the only UAE airline that flies to Chicago started flying to Dulles in Washington DC before Emirates, gets more Irish passengers from Dublin than Emirates and is the only airline that flies to Kazakhstan (Almaty and Astana)!!

While Emirates has been creating its own brand image by remaining as a stand alone airline, Etihad has been following a model buying into unsuccessful airline companies and forming partnerships through codeshare. They now make more than 1/3 of their revenue through this.

Emirates flies only long haul aircraft while Etihad has a mix of long and short haul planes. Emirates has followed the Singapore Airlines model while Etihad has been following more of a European system (Like IAG or Lufthansa-Swiss-Austrian or Air France-KLM).

However, when you look at Qatar airways, you can clearly see a pattern that follows Emirates airlines!!
If I look at it your way, then Qatar doesn't follow Emirates. Their narrowbody fleet clearly discerns them from the pack. While I agree, their initial years were in copying Emirates, I assure you they have moved on. They are even joining an alliance (something that EK never wants to do).

They are the sole MEB3 Airline that flies to KGL, LXR, ALY, JRO, GYD, TBS, MPM, ATQ, GOI, DPS, HAN, CKG, OSL, BUD, ZAG, OTP, SOF, ESB, ISU, NJF, MHD, SYZ, RGN, PNH and soon PHL and TIF

However, I do agree Qatar is as aggresive as Emirates. But since 2010, they have charted a different path. If you look closely, Emirates launches a new market strong (Daily widebody frequencies, packs a powerful punch in the beginning), while Qatar likes to take it's time to build up demand (starting with a 3w frequency, and then gradually increasing to Daily)

Also, Flydubai has actually alienated themselves from EK's booking engine. I actually did a FRA-KBL test run, hoping an EK-FZ combo would be available, but they have actually zeroed out almost all FZ inventory from their website...
abhijith16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1226
killerk

Yes, The first 15 years they kind of followed a pattern similar to Emirates...Last 5 years they have deviated from that model!!! Their identity will get more and more prominent as Qatar (the country) gradually builds its own image!!
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1227
m-man

US customs post for Abu Dhabi airport welcomed by former ambassador

Quote:

A United States customs post in Abu Dhabi will make travel easier and faster for passengers when they arrive in America, a diplomat has claimed.

Adam Ereli, a former US ambassador to Bahrain, said the planned Customs Border Clearance Gate in the UAE was a positive step that would increase the flow of people and goods.
The agreement, officially signed in April, has been denounced as "misguided" by an airlines association, which is urging the US Congress to scrap the plan.
But Mr Ereli insists the move was not detrimental to American companies or taxpayers.
"If there is a way to ease the travel of people from the UAE to the US and vice versa, I'm all in favour of that because the exchange of goods and people benefits every body," he said from Washington DC.
Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...#ixzz2eIhpXd6L
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1228
m-man

Although not big in itself,
I like the way Etihad is embracing social media.

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1229
m-man

Q+A With Etihad Airways CEO James Hogan

Quote:
WSJ: You’ve embarked on an as yet unproven strategy of taking equity stakes in carriers. Why?

Mr. Hogan: Here I am in the [Persian] Gulf and I’ve got Emirates and I’ve got [Qatar Airways]. Firstly there’s enough room for all, but how can I compete against these two and get the scale that I need on cost and get the revenue flows to give me the seat factor and the yield? We sat down a few years ago and we decided we had 78 aircraft today, another 90 over the next seven years, [but] when we peak in seven years we’re still half the size of these guys. Then we started moving with codeshare partners.

WSJ: So codeshares and alliances feed passengers into your network?

Mr. Hogan: It means we’re penetrating new markets with our sales force and with their sales force so it’s giving us greater reach. Virgin Australia – they gave us 45 cities in Australia and New Zealand that we would never fly to. Before Qantas and Emirates did their deal, we had greater penetration in the Australian market than they did. That’s what forced Emirates.

WSJ: But you can achieve a greater reach without buying stakes. Why not just stick with codeshares and alliances?

Mr. Hogan: If you look at the alliances, what they haven’t done is they haven’t achieved the cost initiatives.

WSJ: Fuel and staff are airline’s biggest costs, which can’t really be shared. Can you achieve enough buying power to recoup your investments?

Mr. Hogan: Small airlines can’t afford to duplicate cost. What we have proven with Air Seychelles, and we will with Air Serbia is that there’s a different model. Normally contracts are airline specific. [But] when you’re an equity holder…we share the contract. On the GE engines its one deal. On the 787s, it’s one deal. On Panasonic, the inflight entertainment, it’s one deal. We have already recouped the investment in Air Berlin through the cost savings. The revenue is the cream on top.
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleeast/2013...o-james-hogan/
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1230
m-man

Etihad becomes Virgin's third largest shareholder

Quote:
Etihad has overtaken English entrepreneur Richard Branson to become Virgin Australia’s third-largest shareholder, after further buying by the Middle Eastern airline as it edges towards its goal of a 19.9 per cent holding.
A substantial shareholder notice lodged today shows Etihad has boosted its stake in Virgin to 13.4 per cent, up from 12.3 per cent.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/av...#ixzz2elOqsw00
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #1231
kgl

Likes (Received): 143

Hi

Anyone knows what could be the next destination for Emirates in Africa ? Maputo, Kigali, Lilongwe, Douala or Abuja ??

About Kigali, EK Cargo operated cargo flights in 2011, during a quick period, cause low demand, and above all bad marketing from Rwandans Authorities. But now probably both belly cargo and pax service will be better, as UAE is one 5 majors import partners for Rwanda. Flights will be probably operated with a stop. Lilongwe seems to be good, cause Entebbe service is now operated non stop. Traffic btw Rwanda and Asia and North America is growing, Turkish, KLM and Qatar have very good load and yield.

Thanks

Last edited by kgl; September 13th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
kgl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1232
niknak

Likes (Received): 319

India the next frontier for Emirates Airline

Sananda Sahoo
Sep 08, 2013

Emirates Airline plans to boost its flights to India as the UAE’s two big carriers bid for more seats.

Emirates wants to increase its flights to India to five times daily for each of its destinations in the country. Etihad also plans to ramp up operations in India through its planned US$600 million investment in Jet Airways.

Under the deal, Etihad would acquire a 24 per cent share of Jet and be the first foreign airline to invest in India’s aviation sector.

“We have reached the maximum utilisation of rights,” said Sheikh Majid Al Mualla, the senior vice president of commercial operations for the Gulf, Middle East, Iran and Central Asia for Emirates.

“We are waiting for the next bilateral talks” to increase the seat share, Sheikh Majid said. Emirates has a seat factor of more than 80 per cent in this sector, which means for every 100 seats going one way, 80 are occupied.

It comes as air ticket prices in India surge by as much as 30 per cent as the weak rupee hits airlines.

SpiceJet, the country’s second-biggest budget airline by market share, is increasing ticket prices by 20 and 30 per cent, The Wall Street Journal reported last week. Jet Airways has also raised some fares by about 25 per cent.

Emirates operates 185 flights a week to 10 destinations in India, with 55,000 seats one-way between Dubai and India a month.

“India is one of our largest operations after Dubai,” said Sheikh Majid.

Etihad flies to nine destinations in India, operating 63 flights a week. Its average number of seats to India is 39,000 a month.

Analysts say Etihad’s planned investment in Jet would not necessarily affect the planned expansion of Emirates in the country.

“The effect will be minimal,” said John Strickland, the director of the London-based air transport consultancy JLS Consulting. “We are talking about a large and growing market where there is room for several strong players. Etihad will be able to access some traffic not currently accessible to Emirates; however, I would expect Emirates to negotiate further market access for itself and expand its position in additional Indian cities over time.”

Visitor numbers from India to the UAE have risen sharply in recent years as incomes increase in the country, benefiting the country’s retail and hospitality sector.

“India is a huge market not tapped by international airlines,” Sheikh Majid said. “It is untapped in different segments, and in the past few years we have seen growth in the leisure and business sectors as the purchasing power of Indians has grown. There are a lot of opportunities for everybody.”

He added that the carrier was not seeking partners with which to invest in the subcontinent’s aviation sector.

“We don’t have any interest currently,” he said. “We haven’t reached a saturation point.”

In response to its expansion geographically, the company plans to recruit about 6,000 employees this financial year.

Last week it restarted its flights to Tripoli with three flights a week. Emirates suspended the service 18 months ago in the face of the uprising against the former president, Muammar Qaddafi.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/business/i...#ixzz2eo0i0kfT
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

firoz bharmal, Highcliff liked this post
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1233
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

EK now flying to KBL

Is anyone else beginning to wonder what the point of FZ is, and whether EK would not simply be better using FZ as a low-cost unit flying 737-800s under the EK brand to connect to the rest of the EK hub? I am really struggling to understand whether there is a clear strategy behind Fly Dubai and the markets which each serve.
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1234
KWI

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
I only fly Etihad from Almaty,sometimes Air Arabia.
Wanted yesterday to buy tickets for Etihad,his wife and daughter on September 28,there is no ticket in economy is not in the business(((.
They will have to fly on a code-share with Air Astana,Air Arabia have bad docked in Sharjah.
We Dubai is a very popular destination,from September to April planes fly full.
When Emirates will fly to us,at least 3 times a week?

Last edited by KWI; September 17th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
KWI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1235
KWI

Some of my photos from Abu Dhabi Airport.
I enjoy Etihad).

EK413, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1236
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

EK finally launched Boston as a new up coming route today, flights will start in March next year.

noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1237
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Emirates to Launch Boston Service from March 2014

Emirates from 10MAR14 is launching Dubai – Boston service, on board Boeing 777-200LR aircraft. Reservation for this daily service opens today (19SEP13).

EK237 DXB0945 – 1515BOS 77L D
EK238 BOS2255 – 1910+1DXB 77L D

So EK will have, IAH/DFW/LAX/SFO/SEA/IAD/JFK service to the USA. It is going to be ORD/DTW/MIA next to DXB. I thought the runway project was going to reduce slots. So why is EK keep on adding routes when they pull down frequencies on other routes?

GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #1238
Aneesha

Likes (Received): 322

Runway works will take place during off-peak hours at DXB not affecting the main rush hours, that's why it is the 2nd/3rd frequencies of flights being cancelled during the 80 day period of reduced operations. The Boston flight is set to leave during the morning rush at 0945 therefore it isn't affected by the runway works! Hope this clarifies ..
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1239
killerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWI View Post
I only fly Etihad from Almaty,sometimes Air Arabia.
Wanted yesterday to buy tickets for Etihad,his wife and daughter on September 28,there is no ticket in economy is not in the business(((.
They will have to fly on a code-share with Air Astana,Air Arabia have bad docked in Sharjah.
We Dubai is a very popular destination,from September to April planes fly full.
When Emirates will fly to us,at least 3 times a week?
I remember reading a news article few years back how Air Astana was kicked out of Dubai for not granting FlyDubai rights to Almaty and Astana.....Don't have more details of it!!!
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #1240
KWI

Quote:
I remember reading a news article few years back how Air Astana was kicked out of Dubai for not granting FlyDubai rights to Almaty and Astana.....Don't have more details of it!!!
It is.
More News No Air Astana scared that Fly Dubai will take their passengers, and that's not allowed them to us.
Arabs did the right thing, that our kicked, do not want to compete with them.
There is more to win all Air Arabia, fly safely every day and next Dubai.
But I dream of the Emirates.

Tags
abu dhabi, dubai, emirates, gcc, middle eastern airlines, oneworld, qatar, uae