daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2741
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15403

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post

This is the weakest spot on the whole line. To save monies they skipped building adequate flood protection, because you know, such a flood won't happen in the 500 year simulation
I´ve always thought about that.
In case of severe flood, the line could perhaps be damaged.
On the other hand, there´s not a lot of room in the area, that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
What kind of structure would have been an adequate flood protection?
A viaduct, or a higher wall.

Reivajar liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:07 AM   #2742
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
What kind of structure would have been an adequate flood protection?
It is difficult to say, probably a viaduct. A wall only works as long as the water doesn't topple it. And along this stretch you could potentially see epic flooding (4-5 meters above normal water level), all it takes really is a major weather system dumping lots of water into Congost and Mogent rivers.

The fact that both the railroad and the motorway are inside the would be flooded area of river Besòs is very bad news. Unfortunately memory is short and these types of events are rare, this is where economics take reason out of the equation.

Anyway, if a 500 year event were to take place in the lower Llobregat basin which is more important in terms of infrastructure, we are looking att 7+ meters of flooding. It would pretty much destroy all infrastructure in the Baix Llobregat region, including both the port and airport, it would be game over.

Last edited by gincan; April 1st, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:54 AM   #2743
Sister Greed U

Quote:
It is difficult to say, probably a viaduct. A wall only works as long as the water doesn't topple it. And along this stretch you could potentially see epic flooding (4-5 meters above normal water level), all it takes really is a major weather system dumping lots of water into Congost and Mogent rivers.

The fact that both the railroad and the motorway are inside the would be flooded area of river Besòs is very bad news. Unfortunately memory is short and these types of events are rare, this is where economics take reason out of the equation.
That´s what makes me dislike the route the HSL follows between Sant Andreu Comtal and Montmeló. Too close to the river.

Quote:
Anyway, if a 500 year event were to take place in the lower Llobregat basin which is more important in terms of infrastructure, we are looking att 7+ meters of flooding. It would pretty much destroy all infrastructure in the Baix Llobregat region, including both the port and airport, it would be game over.
I think the line´s better built in that section.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2744
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.
Section Pedralba de la Pradería-Ourense.

Testing the Arnoia (1,014 m), Bouzas (216 m) and Meamán (177 m) viaducts, between Ponte Ambía and Meamán, in the Ourense province (Galicia).

Quote:
Source: zamora24horas.com (in Spanish)

Suburbanist, geometarkv liked this post
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2745
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Badajoz(-Lisbon) HSL.
Section Plasencia-Cáceres.

Images taken near Cañaveral.

Old April 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #2746
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1589

How are the services Barcelona-France doing so far? Are there any statistics released already?
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #2747
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
How are the services Barcelona-France doing so far? Are there any statistics released already?

The TGV Barcelona-Paris are doing ok, and they´ve just added the third TGV (with new stops at Agde and Sète), and rumour has it (it´s just a rumour) that a fourth one could perhaps be added in July, but I don´t know wether that would be just for the summer campaign or a permanent service.

The Barcelona-Toulouse AVE has just seen its timetables modified, to adapt it to the Toulouse demand better. The day I took it wasn´t doing very well (it was a Monday).

The Barcelona-Lyon AVE... I don´t remember, I´ll check, I´m not sure if the stats showed it.

The Madrid-Marseille AVE isn´t doing very good, it seems. Stops at Zaragoza and Camp de Tarragona are demanded.

Vaud liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; April 6th, 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #2748
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
In addition to 437001 information, it is expected to have in July the fourth daily Barcelona-Paris as well as first Marseille-Barcelona (plus existing Marseille-Madrid).

It is supossed to have two daily trains from Barcelona to Marseille (will have in July), Lyon, Toulouse (both will have to wait) and one to Génève (will have to wait)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Vaud liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #2749
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
The Madrid-Marseille AVE isn´t doing very good, it seems. Stops at Zaragoza and Camp de Tarragona are demanded.
I did a Barcelona - Aix-en-Provence 2 weeks ago. We already left an hour late (late arrival from Madrid), and in my car (preferente) there were maybe 6 or 7 people. Overall I think there must have been no more than 100 people waiting in Sants. (Anyone going to Girona or Figueres was already sent off on other trains.)

I really hope they don't cancel it, but maybe plan it a bit (+/- 1 hour) earlier in the day.

But since I had lots of time to think that day... I don't think that we really need trains that stop everywhere on both sides of the border. What would really help, IMHO, in improving train travel between the 2 countries is more connections between Figueres and Perpignan. Because it is fairly easy to get to (or leave from) those cities, but there are only 6 trains between those 2 stations each day. The number of possible connections would improve a lot if there were a solution for that.

Last edited by kbbcn; April 6th, 2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Text removed (based on false information)
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #2750
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

1 hour of delay in a train coming from Madrid to Barcelona on the HSL? Is that normal?

Delays in trains coming from France to Spain are kind of usual because of saturation on the Langedoc line, but in the opposite way it shouldn't be that common.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #2751
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Success will be difficult to achieve if delays like that are common. No big deal for tourists, but very annoying for people traveling on business.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #2752
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
1 hour of delay in a train coming from Madrid to Barcelona on the HSL? Is that normal?
We never got an explanation of why it happened, but I heard the Renfe people between them talk of a technical problem. (If anyone here knows how to consult the Renfe information, this was on March 24th.)
Also, I couldn't get any refund because we arrived only 55 minutes late in Aix.
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2753
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In addition to 437001 information, it is expected to have in July the fourth daily Barcelona-Paris as well as first Marseille-Barcelona (plus existing Marseille-Madrid).

It is supossed to have two daily trains from Barcelona to Marseille (will have in July), Lyon, Toulouse (both will have to wait) and one to Génève (will have to wait)

THAT IS NOT EXPECTED, THAT IS JUST A RUMOUR, AND THAT APPEARED ON ANOTHER WEBSITE ONLY, ON APRIL THE FIRST, POSTED BY A FORUMER WHO IS RENOWNED FOR PLAYING WITH THE RENFE WEBSITE TO MAKE UP FANTASY TIMETABLES.

Sorry for the capital letters.

But I really tried to make it very clear on the Spanish forum that those are just rumours, and that we don´t know how founded they are.

So if you post those things, please do not post them as facts nor as "it is expected".

The fact that you are a moderator makes it all the worse.

Last edited by 437.001; April 6th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #2754
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Success will be difficult to achieve if delays like that are common. No big deal for tourists, but very annoying for people traveling on business.
It is really strange to get delays on the high speed network in Spain. It is the most punctual high speed network in Europe -which is not that strange considering that most of it is a segregated network-, that's why the general thing is geting delayed trains from France, and not in the opposite sense.

In France anyway it is pretty understandable considering the saturation of the Languedoc network. I don't consider the international services truly high speed trains, as between Perpignan and Nimes, and Perpignan and Toulouse it is just conventional French network.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2755
Sunfuns

Wouldn't it make more sense to run all cross-border trains only to/from Barcelona and use connections for destinations deeper in Spain? That way the domestic schedule wouldn't be affected by any delays in France.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2756
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to run all cross-border trains only to/from Barcelona and use connections for destinations deeper in Spain? That way the domestic schedule wouldn't be affected by any delays in France.
Wouldn't it make more sense to run all cross-border trains only to/from Perpignan or Montpellier and use connections for destinations deeper in France? That way the domestic schedule wouldn't be affected by any delays in Spain.

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #2757
Reivajar

Quote:
Well, except for the Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid service (which is an extension of a direct train Madrid-Barcelona), the rest of services have as Southern terminus Barcelona. So, it is mostly what you say.

The point of including Madrid as destination for the new international services, I guess, it is mostly because of a political reason following this dumb logic: if Paris is included in the offer, Madrid needs to be included somehow too. And the less disturbing way was enlarging a direct train between Madrid and Barcelona.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2758
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to run all cross-border trains only to/from Perpignan or Montpellier and use connections for destinations deeper in France? That way the domestic schedule wouldn't be affected by any delays in Spain.

Well, I don't have any personal experience with it but according to what almost everybody here is writing delays are far more common in France.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2759
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Well, except for the Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid service (which is an extension of a direct train Madrid-Barcelona), the rest of services have as Southern terminus Barcelona. So, it is mostly what you say.

The point of including Madrid as destination for the new international services, I guess, it is mostly because of a political reason following this dumb logic: if Paris is included in the offer, Madrid needs to be included somehow too. And the less disturbing way was enlarging a direct train between Madrid and Barcelona.
By using the same dumb logic, why not taking a Madrid-Barcelona train to Montpellier (and so Marseille)?

And what´s the sense and purpose of any diametral train in Spain (say, Gijón-Madrid-Alicante)?

I just don´t get you. You´re from Madrid, and you´re... claiming for a worse service?

Do not forget that these are entirely new services. They´ll take some time for people to get accustomed to, and no, not in every country people get accustomed to novelties just as fast. Sometimes the habits are hard to change.

And don´t forget that the HSL between Nimes and Montpellier isn´t finished yet.

And there´s also the fact that Spain is the most car-oriented country in Western Europe.

Last edited by 437.001; April 6th, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #2760
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Well, I don't have any personal experience with it but according to what almost everybody here is writing delays are far more common in France.
So? They are, yes, but that doesn´t mean that the services to/from Barcelona aren´t affected by them. They are, just as much as the others.

The only thing is that I guess it would be better if the AVE bound for Madrid came from Lyon instead of Marseille, this, I acknowledge.

Marseille sometimes is a very chaotic place, and that translates into railways too (hence a part of the delays, the other being the saturation of the section between Nimes and Montpellier, but that´s on the way to being solved with the new section of HSL between the two Languedoc towns).

dirdam liked this post

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza