daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #2881
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15416

Madrid Chamartín-Barajas Airport T4.

Image of the state of the standard gauge connection, still unfinished.
It will be done with a single, standard-gauge track between Chamartín and the Hortaleza sidings (past Fuente de la Mora station, where the current line to the aiport diverges), and with dual gauge between that point you see in the pic and the airport.

The part between the point and the airport station is finished, except that the electrification hasn´t been changed to 25 kV yet, but it´s prepared for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elburgo View Post

geometarkv liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:40 AM   #2882
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I have a question: once the connection Charmartín-Atocha is finished, will we see many trains like a Santiago-Valencia train or Malaga-Vigo?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:46 AM   #2883
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a question: once the connection Charmartín-Atocha is finished, will we see many trains like a Santiago-Valencia train or Malaga-Vigo?
Surely more than now. How many? I guess it will depend on the demand.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:52 AM   #2884
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Surely more than now. How many? I guess it will depend on the demand.
With a more developed high-speed network they could try revive the Ciudad Real airport
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:18 AM   #2885
Sister Greed U

Quote:
With a more developed high-speed network they could try revive the Ciudad Real airport
Ermmm... I´m not sure about it, to put it lightly.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM   #2886
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

The Modern Long Distance Rail Infrastructure Project (MLRIP)

Hola todos!

I have created a hopefully pretty accurate KMZ file of recent modern long distance / high speed railway lines in Spain during some weeks I was pretty ill. Happily back to life now :-).

Instead of publishing image maps or such, I'd like to share the entire KMZ file, so everyone can zoom into every detail and also apply enhancements or add more data.
Thus, the MLRIP file is intended for those who enjoy digging hours with Google Earth (like me :-) and discover how new infrastructure interacts with territory and other networks.

Only lines really under construction (red) or operating (green) are shown, and those whose construction has been abandoned (pink). Three line widths indicate the "speed" of the line (slow < 150km/h, medium <220km/h, high speed >=220km/h).

Furthermore, I have drawn tunnel sections in yellow color. The idea is to show how much "effort" (cost) it takes to build some lines. Lines in the north of Spain are pretty much yellow painted!

Spain has become a really fascinating but also complicated country when it comes to the development of high speed railway lines. Zoom in into some of the major Junctions (traingles, nodes) to see judge yourself what the consequences of moving from Iberian to UIC gauge are....

The maps are not really completed, some tunnels are missing (in Galicia and towards San Sebastian).

You can get the Google Earth KMZ file form my homepage:
>> Modern Long Distance Rail Infrastructure Project (MLRIP)

PS1: I'd like to slowly enhance and enrich the KML. Wouldn't it be cool if we could add some more information to the KML, like gauge change facilities (kml pushpins) or all those new stations along the LAVs? Help would be greatly appreciated, maybe there are other Google Earth freaks out here too? :-)

PS2: I greatly enjoy following this thread in skyscraper albeit I don't post much. Especially the foto documentaries of newly built lines are fantastic. Great guys!

Examples regions:

Enjoy the KMZ & let me know what can be improved :-)

Last edited by krisu99; April 22nd, 2014 at 04:06 AM.
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #2887
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

National Express to enter Spanish high-speed market?
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

NATIONAL Express subsidiary Alsa last week announced it has been granted a license by the Spanish Ministry of Public Works and Transport to operate passenger trains on the Spanish main line network.

Currently Spain's largest private long-distance bus operator, Alsa has confirmed that this license would allow it to attempt to participate in the partial liberalisation of the long-distance rail market, which is due to start by June.

The government intends to issue a limited number of temporary permits for licensed companies to operate on selected high-speed routes, competing directly with incumbent operator Renfe.

Alsa could also bid for Public Service Obligation (PSO) concession contracts for regional and suburban services, which are currently operated by Renfe as soon as this market opens, although this is not expected to happen before 2015.

A license for Alsa to operate freight trains was granted in 2010, although the company has never operated freight services.

A number of other companies have been granted licenses to carry passengers on the Spanish network. These include: Veloi Rail, a company funded by Spanish entrepreneur and owner of the Planeta publishing group Mr José Manuel Lara; long-distance bus operators Interbus and Avanza; and Continental Rail, a subsidiary of construction company ACS

437.001, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #2888
Sister Greed U

As announced here, some posts above.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #2889
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
How much spare rolling stock does Renfe has though?

Usually, rail companies don't have a lot of high-speed trains idling on a depot. They cost up to € 40 millions a piece and they are better put in use than left stopped, even if they run relatively empty.
I think that finding a driver for the extra services would be much harder than finding an idle train as AFAIK, Renfe has a lot of trains waiting for the opening of new lines.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #2890
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisu99 View Post
Hola todos!

I have created a hopefully pretty accurate KMZ file of recent modern long distance / high speed railway lines in Spain during some weeks I was pretty ill. Happily back to life now :-).

[...]
Amazing work. I would recommend you to check out the situation along the Mediterranean coast between Vandellós and Castellón as most of this line was built with similar standards to the Madrid-Seville HSL, although in Iberian gauge. Most of it will be transformed in multi-gauge and standard gauge in the next years. It allows speeds around 200 km/h, so, you could include it as line in service in your KMZ too.

As well, the line Zaragoza-Tardienta-Huesca allows speeds of 200 km/h: http://www.ferropedia.es/wiki/Conexi...za_-_Huesca%22)
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:29 PM   #2891
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

As announced here, some posts above.
Ah, thanks, I didn't noticed
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:00 PM   #2892
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I can't find updated info about the Figueres station debate.

Was there a final decision about the old station destiny?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM   #2893
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

do you mean about the classic line station or the high speed railway station?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2894
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Actually both I knew the plan was to dismiss the old one once Vilafant was active, but the city protested a lot due to the poor location of the new station.

I don't know if a final decision about the old station/line was made.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2895
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Vilafant station is the new one and nowadays it has several AVE/TGV going from Spain to France (and vv). It started service barely one and a half years ago

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #2896
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Amazing work. I would recommend you to check out the situation along the Mediterranean coast between Vandellós and Castellón as most of this line was built with similar standards to the Madrid-Seville HSL, although in Iberian gauge. Most of it will be transformed in multi-gauge and standard gauge in the next years. It allows speeds around 200 km/h, so, you could include it as line in service in your KMZ too.

As well, the line Zaragoza-Tardienta-Huesca allows speeds of 200 km/h: http://www.ferropedia.es/wiki/Conexi...za_-_Huesca%22)
Thanks for apreciating. In fact I traveled from BCN to Valencia last summer on board of an AVE S-100 and it was a smooth and fast ride with long sections at 200km/h I guess.

Though, on my KML I only trace those sections that have been built outside of historic alignments. That's why there are many short "green lines" on my maps along the Mediterranean coast. I find it interesting to know which sections are newly built (i.e. straightened curves or variantes with tunnels like the Tortosa cut-off with the huge viaduct) and also "rediscover" the old slow alignments. Refurbished tracks for higher speeds in exactly the old trackbed are thus not part of the KML.
That's why the line to Huesca is not included because it entirely runs on the old alignment (except maybe in the Zaragoza region...need to investigate that :-) ).
But maybe it would be helpful to the upgraded old "trackbeds" as well, maybe in another color. But then I'd have to add half of Spain, like Madrid-Jaén. Hmm.
If you carefully scroll across the country, you will see several rather short sections with 3 to 15 km of length that are newly built or currently under construction. Spain is doing a lot even outside the LAV corridors.

It is not a map about "high speed lines", but more about newly built alignments (mostly) for high speed trains.

Does someone maybe has a geographic list of Cambiadores de Ancho?

Last edited by krisu99; April 22nd, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2897
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Thanks for apreciating. In fact I traveled from BCN to Valencia last summer on board of an AVE S-100 and it was a smooth and fast ride with long sections at 200km/h I guess.

Though, on my KML I only trace those sections that have been built outside of historic alignments. That's why there are many short "green lines" on my maps along the Mediterranean coast. I find it interesting to know which sections are newly built (i.e. straightened curves or variantes with tunnels) and also "rediscover" the old slow alignments. Refurbished tracks for higher speeds in exactly the old trackbed are thus not part of the KML.
That's why the line to Huesca is not included because it entirely runs on the old alignment (except maybe in the Zaragoza region...need to investigate that :-) ).
But maybe it would be helpful to the upgraded old "trackbeds" as well, maybe in another color. But then I'd have to add half of Spain, like Madrid-Jaen. Hmm.
If you carefully scroll across the country, you will see several rather short sections with 3 to 15 km of length that are newly built or currently under construction. Spain is doing a lot even outside the LAV corridors.

It is not a map about "high speed lines", but more about newly built alignments (mostly) for high speed trains.

Ah, ok. I understand now better. However, in such case you should check it out old maps of the old line between Madrid and Ciudad Real which was the base trace for the HSL Madrid-Sevilla. Actually, the only really new corridor inaugurated in 1992 between Madrid and Sevilla as HSL was the one between Brazatortas and Córdoba.

About cambiadores de ancho, if you look for "cambiadores de ancho" in Openstreetmap, I think most of the buildings are well identified. If not, here you have the Map number 6 with the general location of them within the network.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2898
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
You're right. A great deal of parts of that line allow 200 but not all of them.

In the future (let's hop soon because it is being the longest civil work in Spain), you'll save time using the HSL Barcelona-Camp de Tarragona and later a new line until southern L'Hospitalet.
Look at google maps
https://www.google.es/maps/place/Tar...0569a71387a3b2

Quote:
Though, on my KML I only trace those sections that have been built outside of historic alignments.
Sorry but, what's KML???

Quote:
That's why there are many short "green lines" on my maps along the Mediterranean coast. I find it interesting to know which sections are newly built (i.e. straightened curves or variantes with tunnels like the Tortosa cut-off with the huge viaduct) and also "rediscover" the old slow alignments. Refurbished tracks for higher speeds in exactly the old trackbed are thus not part of the KML.
Do you mean whole lines now used for other purposes or just few kilometres of the line that are obsolete due to a refurbishement?

Quote:

Zaragoza... just 1+1 (classic and UIC track) until Tardienta.
And a new bridge over the Ebro river... located several metres right to the old one (not existing already)
https://www.google.es/maps/place/Zar...df13f1158489a8

But in Huesca look at old line
https://www.google.es/maps/place/Hue...8dfd864aa74791

New line was opened to traffic in December 2007
It is supposed to continue with refurbishement for 5 km more

Quote:

Let me remember

Madrid-Figueres line:
- Plasencia de Jalon (for Madrid-Pamplona and Madrid-Logroño
- Zaragoza (for Barcelona-elsewhere in the north of Spain)

Madrid-Valencia line:
- Valencia (for Madrid-Castellon)

Madrid-Malaga line:
- Bobadilla (for Madrid-Granada and Madrid-Algeciras)

Madrid-Sevilla line:
two ones in Sevilla for Madrid-Cadiz and Madrid-Huelva (Madrid-Huelva doesn't call at Seville)

Madrid-Valladolid line:
- Medina del Campo for Madrid-La Coruña/Vigo
- Valladolid for Madrid-Gijon/Santander/Bilbao/Vitoria/Hendaye...

and two ones more in Madrid for north-south services

Do I miss anyone?

There are someone more that aren't still in use due to new HSL that doesn't require them.

Anyway you can glance

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1219965

Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:29 AM   #2899
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I can't find updated info about the Figueres station debate.

Was there a final decision about the old station destiny?
For now Figueres station on the classic line won´t be replaced by Figueres-Vilafant.
There´s no project at all to build the would-be missing link between Figueres-Vilafant and the line towards Portbou/Cerbère.
And btw, that would be expensive, since it would involve at least one long tunnel under Figueres castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
do you mean about the classic line station or the high speed railway station?
Quote:
Actually both I knew the plan was to dismiss the old one once Vilafant was active, but the city protested a lot due to the poor location of the new station.
As far as I know, the city didn´t protest at all. If anything, they protested against the road level crossing in the classic line station.

Quote:
I don't know if a final decision about the old station/line was made.
There hasn´t been any final decision about it, they´re simply not building that in the years to come. It´s not postponed, just sent to the drawer... probably for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Vilafant station is the new one and nowadays it has several AVE/TGV going from Spain to France (and vv). It started service barely one and a half years ago
It has international services, and also a number of AVE coming from Madrid (and one from Barcelona, if I remember correctly) that have it as the terminus.
In summer, last year there was an Euromed from Alicante (that is, which runs on the classic line) that also had its terminus at Figueres-Vilafant, but I don´t know wether this year will restart service or not.

Wilhem275 liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:41 AM   #2900
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I was reading this 2007 article: http://elpais.com/diario/2007/12/30/...46_850215.html

So, basically trains still run divided, AVE on the new line and regionals on the old one.
Apart from the Euromed from Alicante, are there scheduled trains using the link between the old line (from Barcelona) to Vilafant station?

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza