daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2921
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15437

It will be enough for a start, believe me.

We´re running off-topic here, btw.

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #2922
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

I am making this year holiday plans and most probably it will be Spain and it would be complete madness not to ride at least one AVE train. So I have some questions regarding that matter.

1. Is RENFE ticket web page really only in Spanish or I am missing one button.

2. Can someone in short explain differences between tariffs (4M, two arrows, F, P and P+)? I am planning simple one day back and return tip for 2 adults and due to reduced budget I can bare risk of non returning ticket or making changes but I really like to have seat with view from window as I assume there are some “blind” seats).

3. Is there any chance of establishing which type of rolling stock will be serving specified connection? Most probably it will be trip Barcelona - Madrid - Barcelona so there would be wide range of rolling stock to chose.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #2923
parrocho

Likes (Received): 173

1. Yes. ticket web page is only in spanish
2. difference:

4M (4 table tariff) Four faced seats with or without table. Price for one seat with 60% discount. No changes allowed. 50% cancellation fee. You must buy the four seats.

Two arrows: Round trip tariff with 20% discount. Free changes. 40% cancellation fee.

F: Flexible: 0% changes fee. 5% cancellation fee.

P: Promo: up to 70% discount. No seat choice. No changes or cancellations allowed.

P+: promo plus: up to 65% discount. Seat choice. 20% changes fee. 30% cancellation fee.

Richard_P liked this post

Last edited by parrocho; April 27th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
parrocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #2924
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrocho View Post
1. Yes. ticket web page is only in spanish
Not per se, you can change the language.

When you go to www.renfe.com, you get presented with the Spanish version by default. In the header, click "Welcome" and you will receive the English version.

However, if you type in some destinations and click "Buy", you will receive a Spanish version of the ticketing page. Don't despair, because you can get that in English as well! How?

1) In the header, click the following button:

2) You will be brought back to the home page of the ticket vending website. In the header, click "Welcome":

Now, you will get the English version of the booking website. Be aware that there are still some non translated bits (such as when selecting applicable reductions), but the overall website should work.

Please be aware that you will have to provide identification during your booking, you can do this by providing you passport number. The Nationality dropdown list is also not translated.

Richard_P, OriK, geometarkv liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #2925
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I would recommend to log on into renfe.com.

There are some advantages:

- If you loose your ticket it is quite easy to ask a new one (if you aren't registered it is possible but you may call a centre and provide identification of journey, credit card which was used for purchase and so on, just to assure that it was you who bought the ticket)

- If you download the renfe app in you mobile it will be enough to show your mobile with the qr code ticket. No papers are required.

In the same screen you have the qr code ticket, the code for commuters, journey information (date, hour, train number, origin and destination, wagon, seat...) and you can push to join the journey to your mobile agenda as well.

And it is enough to enter in renfe.com, log on and register with your name, ID and email

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Suburbanist liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2926
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.
Section Pedralba de la Pradería-Ourense.

Images taken between Requejo and Lubián.

Padornelo tunnel (here the old tunnel will be adapted for the HSL, with one track in Iberian gauge and another in standard gauge, while a new tube will be built just for the second track of the HSL).

Future Aciberos viaduct:

Richard_P liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; May 4th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #2927
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Images taken between Requejo and Lubián.

Tunnel nº1, next to Lubián station:

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2928
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Images taken between Lubián and A Mezquita-Vilavella.

River Pedro future viaduct:

Lubián nº2 tunnel:

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #2929
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Images taken between Lubián and A Mezquita-Vilavella.

Future viaduct between Lubián nº2 and La Canda tunnels:

La Canda tunnel eastern portals.
La Canda tunnel is the limit between the Zamora province (Castile & Leon) and the Ourense province (Galicia):

La Canda tunnels evacuation gallery:

Last edited by 437.001; May 4th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2930
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.
Section Zamora-Pedralba de la Pradería.

Images taken at Puebla de Sanabria.

(all text translated from Spanish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotaerre View Post
From the N-525 road between Otero de Sanabria and Puebla de Sanabria, viaduct over river Tera:

Puebla de Sanabria station on the classic line:

Following past the station, we can see again the river Tera viaduct:

On my back, the classic line (looking towards Zamora) with the tunnel portal that is located right before Puebla de Sanabria. We can see polyvalent new sleepers:

The east side of Puebla de Sanabria station (looking towards Ourense):

Old May 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #2931
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Images taken at A Mezquita-Vilavella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotaerre View Post
Then I moved west, to A Mezquita-Vilavella station on the classic line:

Looking towards Ourense, the twin Vilavella tunnels, and the A Mezquita-Vilavella station of the classic line perpendicular right on top (on the classic line Ourense is to the left):

Looking towards Zamora, twin viaducts, one advanced, the other just starting. In hindsight, the western portals of La Canda tunnels:

Suburbanist liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2932
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.
Section Zamora-Pedralba de la Pradería.

Images taken between Otero de Sanabria and Pedralba de la Pradería.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburgo View Post
At Otero de Sanabria, on the site of the future Sanabria station (or loop, it´s not clear yet), looking towards Zamora:

Looking towards Ourense:

Between Otero de Sanabria and Puebla de Sanabria, looking towards Zamora:

Looking towards Ourense. In hindsight the future tunnel portal that will lead into the river Tera viaduct.
The tunnel hasn´t started yet:

River Tera viaduct, looking towards Ourense, with Puebla de Sanabria station on the right, just on top of the HSL, which will cross under the station:

Pedralba tunnel portal, looking towards Zamora:

Last edited by 437.001; May 4th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #2933
Sister Greed U

Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Images taken between Pedralba de la Pradería and Lubián.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburgo View Post
A future viaduct west of Pedralba tunnel, looking towards Ourense:

At Requejo, looking towards Zamora.

Requejo twin tunnels, looking towards Ourense:

Padornelo tunnel Eastern portal, looking towards Ourense.

Last edited by 437.001; May 4th, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #2934
Sister Greed U

Valladolid-Venta de Baños-Palencia-Leon HSL.
Palencia station.

Images of the works at the station to prepare it for the HSL, taken on April 20, 2014.

(text translated from Spanish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachelo View Post
Hi everybody, this afternoon I´ve been to Palencia station.

First thing I´ve seen, track 4 is already open as we´ll see.

I went to the end of the central platform, here I am on its north end (looking towards Santander and Leon):

In the following picture we can see that the platform, which has to be extended to the north, has the obstacle of track 4, which will have to be moved slightly to the right, otherwise there´s just no room:

Same spot, but zooming, we see people crossing the tracks through the level crossing. Straight on, towards Santander, to the left, towards Leon:

Turning around, looking towards the station building and Valladolid, we can see the central platform, which is in works to make it higher. It is about 500 m long now, but will be extended in the direction of the picture above to make room for long trains, since only this platform will remain for passenger trains in Iberian gauge:

An Intercity coming from Santander and bound for Madrid, served by a coupling of two class 121 trains. We can also see the new 'bretelle' double point:

Now I´m looking towards the north (Leon, Santander), with tracks 1 and 2 and the footpath. Both tracks will be closed on April 27 for the change of gauge, and the footpath will be lifted some time later:

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #2935
Sister Greed U

Palencia station.

Images of the works at the station to prepare it for the HSL, taken on April 23, 2014.

(text translated from Spanish)

Quote:
Today I´ve seen trains carrying rails passing by Palencia, one bound for the Villada technical base, the other for Valladolid.

Even though today is a regional holiday here [note from 437.001: St Georges Day is regional holiday in Castile & Leon], works carried on as usual.

This morning there were workers preparing track 1 of the station to being cut on April 27, here we see them on the north side of the station, I am on the central platform, next to its current end from where it will be extended, on our left tracks 1 and 2:

Same spot, but turning 180º, looking towards the south, look at track 2, with those red marks on the rails, with the word "corte" ("cut" in Spanish) written on them right next:

Across the tracks, looking at the central platform, if you look at track 2, there´s a white mark (which coincides with the red marks on the other side of the rail), again with the word "corte":

Back to the central platform, we see workers finishing track 6:

Same spot, now looking towards the south and zooming, we see the workers finishing track 6 and also track 4:

Now I´m at the south of the station, on Villalobón bridge over the tracks, on top of the old freight sidings, with Palencia station in hindsight.
We can tell the new rails on track 1, laid for the change of gauge:

Same spot, but zooming, we see the station, with tracks 1 and 2 on the left and track 4 on the right (track 6 doesn´t diverge from track 4 until mid-platform):

Same spot, but back to the ground again, we see some workers, and a small pile of ballast, for when thay take off the rails of track 1:

Still on the old Palencia freight sidings, but back on the Villalobón bridge and looking towards the south (Valladolid, Burgos), we see some workers in the Palencia substation, maybe preparing the OHLE of track 1 to being cut on April 27.
In hindsight we can tell a class 594 DMU approaching Palencia station, later it will serve a train bound for Salamanca:

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2936
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

About half a year ago you wrote that Olmedo-Zamora will be the next HS line to be put in operation. Do you still think so? Palencia-Leon route looks pretty advanced as well.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #2937
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
About half a year ago you wrote that Olmedo-Zamora will be the next HS line to be put in operation. Do you still think so? Palencia-Leon route looks pretty advanced as well.
Good question.

There are doubts about it (elections are coming... ).

The latest info we have is that maybe Olmedo-Zamora won´t open yet, and it would wait until Zamora-Pedralba de la Pradería is ready, thus the effect on the passengers would be stronger (travel time would be cut by more than 1h).
I´m not very sure about that, since as you´ve just seen, the section between Zamora and Pedralba de la Pradería has some sectors which are still far from finished. The other theory says that by opening till Pedralba instead of Zamora they would save the construction of one gauge changer (and the one that´s supposed to be built at Zamora is nowhere to be seen). We´ll see.

As for Palencia-Leon, I already posted as a rumour that Valladolid-Venta de Baños-Palencia would maybe open by next January 2015, and Palencia-Leon for September 2015. I find this likely.

Keep an eye on this thread, I still have more stuff to post here regarding Palencia-Leon today.
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #2938
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Are both tubes of twin-tube tunnels of the Galicia HSL being built full profile? If so, will they both receive track and lining? In the case of the Lötschberg base tunnel, the sections of the western tube used only for safety access are full profile, but without final lining. But in other single tube tunnels planned do be twinned later, the second tube was built with a smaller profile (Simplon rail, Gotthard road).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2939
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Are both tubes of twin-tube tunnels of the Galicia HSL being built full profile? If so, will they both receive track and lining? In the case of the Lötschberg base tunnel, the sections of the western tube used only for safety access are full profile, but without final lining. But in other single tube tunnels planned do be twinned later, the second tube was built with a smaller profile (Simplon rail, Gotthard road).
I´m not sure, I´ll ask, but I´d say that except for one case, there´s no smaller profile, and there won´t be any when Pedralba-Ourense opens.

I already know that some sections will be single-track, and thus, one of the two tubes will wait until the budget for the second track arrives.

Some other sections will be double-track from the beginning, though, so no doubts about it there.

And then there´s Padornelo tunnel.

At Padornelo tunnel, which is located between Requejo and Lubián stations of the classic line, and which for many years used to be the longest non-urban railway tunnel in Spain, the current tunnel will be upgraded, while a new tube is being bored, theoretically for the HSL, but which could be used by the classic line during the upgrade works on the old tube.

The profile of the old tube is supposed to be widened to adapt it to the current EU rules, and I´m still not sure wether it would be for one dual gauge track, or or two tracks, one of each gauge.
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #2940
Sister Greed U

Palencia station.

Image of the works at the station to prepare it for the HSL, taken on April 24, 2014.

On that day, the workers at Palencia station were bemused by the weird presence of this thing at the station:

Quote:
It´s a Cadiz tram-train, on tests...

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza