daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2015, 08:24 PM   #3181
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

That's great news, particularly for people living in aforementioned towns. Additionally Leon will now be a feasible day trip from Madrid. I guess the infrastructure itself must be virtually finished already as I'd expect 1-2 months of testing before the start of commercial operations.

It's also curious that this section is the first to open. Last year we speculated that route to Zamora and upgrades line to Vigo are the closest to being ready.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2015, 08:50 PM   #3182
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
That's great news, particularly for people living in aforementioned towns. Additionally Leon will now be a feasible day trip from Madrid. I guess the infrastructure itself must be virtually finished already as I'd expect 1-2 months of testing before the start of commercial operations.
Yes, it's very advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
It's also curious that this section is the first to open. Last year we speculated that route to Zamora and upgrades line to Vigo are the closest to being ready.
True, although this one was delayed for some time during the works, but in the original plans, it was the first one to open, which turns out to be true in the end.

So after this one, come the Salamanca spur from Olmedo, the Santiago-Vigo upgrade, and the Medina del Campo-Zamora HSL.
The Antequera Santa Ana-Granada HSL and the Monforte del Cid junction-Murcia HSL & upgrade a bit later.

This year and 2016 will be very interesting in Spain.
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #3183
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

A 1992 TV short segment about the (then) upcoming AVE Sevilla-Madrid (why Barcelona-Madrid was not the first link I'll never really understand).

Old March 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #3184
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I think part of the reason for building it was Sevilla Expo in 1992. If Madrid-Barcelona were built then it probably wouldn't be quite as fast as it is today.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3185
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

It is important not to forget that the original basis of the current HSL Madrid-Seville was the new planned railway link between Castille and Andalusia (as alternative to Despeñaperros, and in Iberian gauge, so no HSL at all), and the upgrading of the old Madrid-Ciudad Real line.

And for sure, the standard of a HSL built at that time would have been completely different.

dirdam, Jordbcn liked this post
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #3186
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

In a few days, the new line linking Vigo with Santiago de Compostela in northwest Spain will be completed, so it's time to update the NRIOP maps.
You can access the New Rail Infrastructure Observation Project (NRIOP) from here.

Two sections are entering service on the Vigo - SdC line:

1.) Vigo - Soutomayour (16,5km), including newly built Vigo station leading to new 6km twin bore tunnel.
2.) Villagarcía - Padrón (26,5km), including the spectacular Ulla River Viaduct.

The two new sections are shown as screenshot below. The entire line is now 93,9km long . Interestingly, this is not a pure high speed line, but includes some radical slow downs where the line follows the old tracks. By doing so, the line also serves regional towns, which seems to be a good idea (the other line in spain with a similar philosophy is Utrera - Cadiz). Instead of moving the stations far out of town, the railway preserves its place in the urban matrix.
Tech specs: Iberian gauge, 25kV, ASFA therevore vMax=200km/h. ETCS L1 may be installed for 250km/h operation...

The new sections now opened were shown U/C in red color in the previous NRIOP maps:

II.) Another interesting line in southwest Spain similar to Vigo-SdC is the link from Sevilla to Cádiz on the Mediterranean sea. It is similar because it can also serve for fast regional services thanks to intermediate halts, which appears particularly useful when there are no really big cities around.

To distinguish new alignment from upgraded existing alignment, I chose two different tonalities: Light green (in service) or light red (U/C) when the section is built completely new, and a darker tone where the new line is being built as upgraded existing tracks:

III.) Significant new work-sites can be observed along the Exdremadura line, one (pretty far) day linking Madrid with Lisbon via Badajoz:
1.) Mérida bypass (ca. 8,5km), no exchange station along existing line. A new station will be built, but apparently it will have only road access! A direct cul-de-dac line to Mérida will not be built for now.
2.) Mirabel towards Plasenica along highway (ca. 7,3km)
The works started in Autumn/Winter 2014/2015.

This year will probably see inauguration of the approx. 35km section (paralleling the old line) between Badajoz and somewhere west of Mérida (the straight "horizontal" stretch in the lower left on the map below), non-electrified and in Iberian gauge, for classical train services.

The current situation on the Extremadura line is as follows:

On a side note: I try to maintain the NRIOP maps as accurate and up to dare as possible. Also, only lines "really" under construction or in service are shown, but errors may happen too. Therefore, I'd be glad for any observations about mistakes or possible improvements!

(NRIOP)

Last edited by krisu99; March 30th, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #3187
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A 1992 TV short segment about the (then) upcoming AVE Sevilla-Madrid (why Barcelona-Madrid was not the first link I'll never really understand).

Briefly (as much as I will try)

First plan was to build (more or less) Puertollano-Cordoba with HSL standards but iberian gauge and a refurbishement of the rest of the line, incluiding double line Manzanares-Puertollano and Cordoba-Sevilla and catenary Ciudad Real-Puertollano.

They got asap the decission to make full HSL Madrid-Sevilla instead of only Puertollano-Cordoba and with international gauge. For a long time it was an isolated line with standard gauge (till Perpignan-Figueres was opened) and nowadays, Madrid-Valladolid is another isolated line (it is not linked with standard gauge with the rest of the network).

The case of Madrid-Barcelona was similar. They started with Calatayud-Ricla to build a doubled line (classic line is not bad but hard to make a double line there "cheaply") and a Zaragoza-Lerida to save kilometres... They started these two stretches (to be opened with HSL standards but iberian gauge) but they decided to build the full line until Lerida.

This is, for instance, why the HSL barely joins the classic line here
https://www.google.es/maps/place/502...bb12b8880f48b7

Providing it had been opened in standard gauge, junction would have been there, but they never used it. I just know it because I live in the area.

The rest of HSL have been considered full HSL from the beginning

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

krisu99, Viva_Bulgaria liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #3188
Suburbanist
on the road

What is the status of the works to connect Madrid Chamartín with Madrid P. Atocha?
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:25 AM   #3189
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
What is the status of the works to connect Madrid Chamartín with Madrid P. Atocha?
Halted
(or maybe too slow?)

Plans would be

1- Making a tunnel and Madrid-Valencia HSL will depart from Madrid-Chamartin but will be non-stop at Madrid-Puerta de Atocha (it will be one layer downer).
2- Building platform to let Madrid-Valencia departing from Chamartin and calling at Puerta de Atocha (and therefore, any train corner to corner in Spain)
3- Building a big infrastructure to let trains from Barcelona and north east to arrive those platforms

Not easy....

krisu99 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:16 AM   #3190
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:
Soon the works will restart to give it the final touch.
It will open without the Atocha underground planned through platforms.
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:38 PM   #3191
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There is a single track tunnel that bypasses the not yet built through platforms (two platforms and four tracks IIRC) of Madrid Atocha. The rest of the tunnel to Chamartín will be double track from the start.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:32 AM   #3192
krisu99

Here is a rather detailed map about the underground LAV station along Atocha.
As far as I understood and Cocodrillo has also mentioned, only the single track by-pass tunnel to the to-be built station has been built.

The idea for this bypass tunnel probably was that trains could use the city tunnel before the separate Atocha underground station will be ready.

In the following maps, this single track bypass is shown with the a thin dashed blue line. This extra (temporary...) bypass tunnel is around 750m long...

image upload with preview

Another strange mystery to me is the fact that trains from Barcelona can not be routed towards the north through the city tunnel, at least not with the works currently carried out. This is astonishing as the BCN route is likely the one to carry most passengers. Even if the (also new) tunnel access tracks run in parallel with the line from BCN for around 8km (!), it seems there is no connection at all (there are 2 Iberian 3kV tracks in between in the upper part).

The 8km can be viewed here (red line: 2 tracks U/C leading to the tunnel, green lines: 2 tracks from Sevilla + 2 tracks from BCN):
AVE Atocha approach
(Please switch to "hybrid" mode for aerial imagery)

Anyway, I like mysteries ;-)

Richard_P, Gusiluz, Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by krisu99; April 1st, 2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:41 AM   #3193
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

If I am not wrong, a flying junction is planned for linking the Barcelona HSL to the new tunnel.

Anyway, the single track by-pass tunnel could be used when the underground station is finished, as it would be used in case of intense use of the four platforms of the new station. I don't find it completely useless.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3194
Suburbanist
on the road

so for the time being there will be no Chamartin-Zaragoza services...
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:28 AM   #3195
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I do not wait for it in a long time but stopping at P.Atocha and getting into commuter isn't bad at all

Btw...there is a regional train from Madrid Chamartin to Zaragoza Delicias (and continues to Barcelona Sants) daily indeed

Old April 1st, 2015, 09:33 AM   #3196
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

[QUOTE=Suburbanist;122775404]A 1992 TV short segment about the (then) upcoming AVE Sevilla-Madrid (why Barcelona-Madrid was not the first link I'll never really understand).

Puente Aeri; for a long time the world's most flown route between two cities. Muchas pesetas would have been 'lost' if the AVE Madrid - Barcelona would have been built earlier.

Meanwhile can't wait for open access to hit Spain's high-speed railmarket. I read here and there it is coming soon to a station near me?
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM   #3197
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10911

HSL Madrid Chamartín-Torrejón de Velasco (towards Valencia)

Is 35 km and is part of the HSL Madrid Chamartín-Valencia Joaquín Sorolla, is pending award the superstructure 101 M € (will be much less) of a total of 826. When completed to perform the current “passant” through Gijón / Santander to Alicante / Cádiz / Castellón unchanged wide twice in Madrid; also allow new services Euskadi to Cádiz / Málaga because the Atocha´s changer does not fit CAF trains (120/121 series), and new Avant (AVE-Middle Distance) León / Burgos / Valladolid- to Puertollano / Toledo services for not much passengers (serve to relatively few) but to make much better the service for the trains, although the latter's lack of standing in Atocha can be decisive and ultimately not change the actual.

It consists of a double track tunnel between Atocha and Chamartín (7.3 km), single-track tunnel under the Atocha tracks 10 and 11 (0,845 km), and a double track HSL (27 km) to link with the Current HSL to Valencia at 34,698 km (track 1) and 35,191 (track 2). The future link to the HSL to Barcelona is at km 14.3 no date.

Once this is done (until I award I will not believe, we are in elections; i hope 2019), some trains for Levante (14 + 1 “passant” to Valencia, 9 + 2 “passant” to Alicante and 5 to Murcia) will depart from Chamartín without stop in Atocha; it may be that the new (2016) private operator to Madrid-Levante operate from a station and Renfe from the other. This would require expanding Chamartín (the expansion of Chamartín and Atocha foreseen in 2008 (in Spanish)) thus may be released Atocha some trains to terminate pathways through 12/15 and build Atocha station (under the street Méndez Álvaro) with 4 tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
Hacer lo deseable: tercer túnel, LAV hasta Torrejón de Velasco y parada en Atocha, no solo costará mucha inversión sino también mucho tiempo y situaciones provisionales porque, aunque sobrase el dinero, hay que hacerlo obligatoriamente por fases que, básicamente, son:

-Terminar Chamartín-Torrejón de Velasco para ...
-Servicios a Levante desde Chamartín (ampliación deseable) para ...
-Baja de las vías 12/15 de Atocha para las obras de la ...
-Estación Pasante de Atocha (bajo la calle Méndez Álvaro)

Lo primero, una visión general de lo que hay en servicio, y de lo que hay que terminar:

¡Pues sí que empezamos bien!. Y eso que el mapa es de Adif de 2013 (como todo lo demás).
Una de las vías de la Variante de Yeles (la Sur, sin saltos de carnero, sentido Sevilla-Valencia) está en servicio desde el 11/12/2011. También conocida como Bifurcación Los Blancales (variante Sur-Levante), empieza en el PK 40,273 de la LAV de Levante, y después de 5,665 km a 160 km/h llega hasta el PK 34,397 de la LAV de Andalucía (Bifurcación Yeles).
Falta terminar la segunda vía que ya tiene un viaducto de 1.079 m sobre la LAV de Levante y una pérgola sobre la LAV de Andalucía de 93 m.

Situación de los 3 túneles Chamartín-Atocha:

En este caso no es que no esté actualizado, lo he puesto porque se ve mejor. Este mapa es de 2006, así que el túnel de Sol aparece “en construcción”.

Resumen de las actuaciones a realizar: tal y como es sabido hay que terminar el túnel y las vías hasta Torrejón de Velasco para conectar Chamartín con las LAVs de Levante y Andalucía, no sirve de nada terminar solo el túnel porque únicamente es posible una salida por interferencias de las Cercanías.
Para conectar el túnel de vía doble con la salida Sur de Atocha se utilizará un túnel en vía única, ya terminado, bajo el edificio histórico de Atocha y las vías 10 y 11 hasta la zona de andenes de la cabecera sur de la estación de Atocha.
Una vez todo esto esté en servicio, la cabecera de algunos de los trenes de Levante se trasladará a Chamartín, de donde saldrán sin efectuar parada en Atocha.
Con Atocha liberada de esos trenes se darán de baja 4 vías (12/15) para iniciar las obras de la Estación Pasante. Al término de las mismas los trenes del Norte hacia el Sur y Levante podrán efectuar parada en Atocha, pero a un nivel inferior. El túnel “provisional” en vía única bajo las vías 10 y 11 quedará para servicio interno.
Y finalmente, a la altura del PK 14,3 se realizará una conexión entre esta línea y la LAV de Barcelona para permitir la circulación de trenes entre la LAV Norte y la Noreste.
Según informaciones de noviembre de 2013 (aunque ya aparecían en el documento “defenestrador” de abril; eso sí, con error de calculadora: ponía 121 M en total) faltarían por licitar 75 M € en el túnel y otros 26 hasta Torrejón de Velasco. Lo que falta es, mayoritariamente, superestructura; la infraestructura ya está terminada.
Nueva fecha de finalización, según lo que les han contado al ABC: 2018. “Adif prioriza otras conexiones de AVE”.

Detalle de las obras por tramos
Notas: La infraestructura ya está terminada, aunque desconozco las fechas exactas, las que he puesto son las fechas contratadas. Los Puntos Kilométricos corresponden a los proyectos, no a la LAV de Levante, que son: Chamartín 0,000; Atocha: 7,300; Bifurcación Torrejón de Velasco: 34,698. Si, por ejemplo, empiezan por 300, es porque corresponden a la alternativa “3”. Los PPKK del túnel comienzan en Atocha.

Túnel en ancho estándar:
Longitud: 7.300 m; inicio de las obras: 27/01/2009; plazo: 52 meses (junio de 2013); presupuesto: 231.007.161,34 €.
Tramo de vía doble en túnel excavado mediante tuneladora TBM en su práctica totalidad, desde el PK 0,175 (punto medio del pozo de extracción) hasta el PK 7,020. Desde el PK 0,188 hasta el PK 0,214 el túnel se ejecuta mediante “método alemán” y en ese tramo (26 m) la tuneladora pasa arrastrada.
Longitud excavada: 6.835 m. Diámetro interior del túnel de 10,40 m, con salidas de emergencia verticales de hasta 45 m de profundidad y separación media de 775 m.
Chamartín está a una cota 120 m más alta que Atocha. Pendiente máxima: 30 mm. Profundidad máxima sobre clave: 50 m.
-Contempla la conexión con las 6 vías existentes (16/21) de ancho estándar (en topera) en el acceso sur de la estación de Chamartín. Se cambiará el ancho a las vías 14 y 15, con bretelle entre 15 y 16; y después a las vías 12 y 13, con bretelle entre 13 y 14.
-Se incluyen los trabajos de infraestructura, vía e instalaciones no ferroviarias, la remodelación de la playa de vías de la estación y conexión de las 6 vías en ancho estándar.

Túnel en vía única:
Longitud: 849,90 m; inicio de las obras: 08/12/2010.
Boca Norte: plazo: 37 meses (enero de 2014); presupuesto: 13.814.467,04 €.
Boca Sur: plazo: 7 meses (julio de 2011); presupuesto: 2.906.326,73 €.
Sección en vía única desde el pozo de extracción de la tuneladora del túnel en ancho estándar Atocha-Chamartín, bajo el edificio histórico de Atocha y vías 10 y 11, hasta la zona de andenes de la cabecera sur de la estación de Atocha. Excavación del túnel desde el PK 0+045,42 hasta el 0+795,31 mediante “método tradicional de Madrid” (Belga).
Es el de color amarillo, en rojo el de la estación pasante y en negro las vías actuales a un nivel superior.

LAV de Levante, tramo Atocha-Torrejón de Velasco:
—Tramo Cabecera sur de Atocha – C/ Pedro Bosch
Longitud: 770,819 m; inicio de las obras: 08/06/2010; plazo: 25 meses (julio de 2012); presupuesto: 15.212.733,36 €.
Plataforma de vía doble desde el punto final del tramo correspondiente a la futura Estación Pasante en el PK 100+000, hasta el PK 100+743,014.
Plataforma de vía única correspondiente al tramo final del túnel provisional bajo la Estación de Atocha, en una longitud de 27,81 m, entre la nave de talleres de los trenes Alaris de Renfe y la calle Garganta de los Montes.
—C/ Pedro Bosch – Getafe
Longitud: 8.727,5 m; inicio de las obras: 01/04/2010; plazo: 35 meses (marzo de 2013); presupuesto: 113.292.302,59 €.
El primer tramo discurre por la plataforma existente de la línea C4 (PK 100+000 - PK 101+669) y por la plataforma resultante del pinzamiento de las líneas C3 y C4 (PK 101+669 - PK 102+648), que supone el saneo y la formación de la superestructura previos al desvío del tráfico a las vías de la C3.
El segundo tramo se ejecuta en plataforma independiente, adosada al corredor ferroviario existente de las líneas C4 (entre PK 102+648 y 104+178) y de la LAV Andalucía (entre PK 104+178 y 108+727,567).
—Getafe – Pinto
Longitud: 10.720 m; inicio de las obras: 21/09/2010; plazo: 30 meses (marzo de 2013); presupuesto: 84.435.448,72 €.
Discurre paralela a la LAV de Andalucía.
—Pinto – Torrejón de Velasco
Longitud: vía sentido Madrid: 6.959,378 m y vía sentido Levante: 6.517,072 m; inicio de las obras: 07/05/2010; plazo: 34 meses (marzo de 2013); presupuesto: 56.908.455,55 €.
Discurre paralela a la LAV de Andalucía. Ejecución de un nuevo estacionamiento pasante en la estación de cercanías de Parla Industrial.
El tramo se define por tres ejes:
-Eje de doble vía desde el origen de Proyecto en el PK 300+000, hasta la separación en vías únicas con el salto en el PK 304+315.
-Eje de vía única sentido Madrid, desde el origen de vías únicas, en el PK 304+315, hasta el final, en la conexión con la vía sentido Madrid del tramo Torrejón de Velasco-Seseña, en el PK 306+959,378. Contiene la pérgola para el salto de vías.
-Eje de vía única sentido Levante, desde la separación en vías únicas en el PK 304+415 hasta la conexión con la vía sentido Levante del tramo Torrejón de Velasco-Seseña en el PK 306+517,072.
Pérgola sobre la LAV Andalucía (448,9 m).

Fase II de Atocha: Estación Pasante:
Bajo la calle Méndez Álvaro. Primero hay que dar de baja las vías 12/15 para las obras. Después se volverán a instalar en el mismo sitio.
Así quedará (justo a su derecha, bajo las vías 10 y 11, y tapado por la imagen de las escaleras está el túnel de vía única):

Fases posteriores de Atocha: Terminal Sur, ampliación de aparcamientos, ampliación de Cercanías, nuevo sistema viario, etc.

Y ésta será la situación “en el horizonte a largo plazo”:

Aquí sí que aparece el enlace LAV Valladolid-LAV Barcelona, y la LAV de Extremadura.

Distancias (en metros) y coste (en €) de la LAV Chamartín-Torrejón de Velasco por tramos:
7.300,0 231.007.161,34
849,9 13.814.467,04
770,8 15.212.733,36
8.727,5 113.292.302,59
10.720,0 84.435.448,72
6.959,4 56.908.455,55
Total: 34.698 m 514.670.569 €
Madrid Atocha track diagram

New purchases from Fomento (in Spanish):
http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyr...LAVsMadrid.pdf
http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyr...jonVelasco.pdf
Tiene 35 km y forma parte de la HSL Madrid Chamartín-Valencia Joaquín Sorolla, está pendiente de adjudicar la superestructura por 101 M € (será mucho menos) de un total de 826. Cuando esté terminado permitirá realizar los recorridos actuales pasantes Gijón/Santander-Alicante/Cádiz/Castellón sin cambiar dos veces de ancho en Madrid; también permitirá nuevos servicios Euskadi-Cádiz/Málaga ya que el cambiador de Atocha no sirve para trenes CAF (120/121 series), y nuevos servicios Avant (AVE-Media Distancia) León/Burgos/Valladolid-Toledo/Puertollano no tanto para los viajeros (servirá para relativamente pocos) sino para aprovechar mucho mejor los trenes, aunque para esto último la falta de parada en Atocha puede ser determinante y finalmente no se cambie lo actual.
Consta de un túnel de vía doble entre Chamartín y Atocha (7,3 km), un túnel de vía única bajo las vías 10 y 11 de Atocha (0,845 km), y una HSL de vía doble (27 km) para enlazar con la actual HSL a Valencia en el km 34,698 (vía 1) y 35,191 (vía 2). El futuro enlace hacia la HSL a Barcelona estará en el km 14,3 sin fecha prevista.
Una vez realizado esto (hasta que no lo adjudiquen no lo creeré, estamos en elecciones; yo espero para el 2019), algunos trenes para Levante (14 + 1 pasante a Valencia, 9 + 2 pasantes a Alicante y más de 5 a Murcia) saldrán desde Chamartín sin parada en Atocha; puede ser que el nuevo (2016) operador privado para Madrid-Levante opere desde una estación y Renfe desde la otra. Para esto sería necesario ampliar Chamartín (más información sobre las ampliaciones de Chamartín y Atocha previstas en 2008, en español) con lo cual se podrá liberar Atocha de algunos trenes para poder dar de baja las vías 12/15 y construir la estación pasante de Atocha (bajo la calle Méndez Álvaro) con 4 vías.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:48 AM   #3198
Suburbanist
on the road

HSL Toledo-Badajoz-(Lisboa) bridge over the Tejo river.

Source

kbbcn, pai nosso, Sunfuns, KingNick, givary98 and 5 others liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #3199
krisu99

^That's a great picture! Artistically beauty, and an engineering marvel.

Unfortunately the line serves nearly nothing. After having traveled and studied the Portuguese Rail network, I am not sure if they ever should envisage starting the costly 1435mm endeavor, it would massacre what remains of their current network...

So...well...anyway...sooner or later a high speed line will reach Lisbon... at least this great bridge deserves this (there are two such giant bridges along the Extremadure line).

kbbcn liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #3200
CityDreamer

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

I'm fairly sure Felipe Gonzalez recently owned up to the reason. He said that they felt they'd never convince the country of any further investment for an Andalucian route if the Barcelona tract was built first. They realised that eventually the Madrid Barcelona tract would be built. As it turns out isn't the Madrid to Malaga quite well utilised now?
CityDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza