daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #3541
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is Zaragoza Delizias among the top-5 stations in Spain when it comes to high speed passengers processed?
Do not know.... it is the fifth city in Spain and airport has barely flights. But HSL goes only to Figueres (and Marseille direct) and Madrid (and Seville /Malaga and Alicante direct).

In a local thread we can link some pictures about a sunday evening with a collapse in the station.

In a weekday, out of peak hours, you have one train Madrid-Barcelona and conversely every hour (and all Barcelona-anywhere except in Mediterranean use HSL till Zaragoza)

In adittion we are wondering what would happen if Alvia Madrid-Logroño calls at Zaragoza. More travelling time but a possibility to fill a train that never runs full.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #3542
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

What about Zaragoza-Huesca Alvia service?
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #3543
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It doesn't exist.

They set three daily trains in the half-HSL (200 maximum till Tardienta, 160 km/h till Huesca).
Problem?, it saved 20 minutes over a regional train but was more expensive and in Zaragoza could call only at Delicias.

They replaced the Avant (not Alvia) service for other three regional trains over the classical line that can Miraflores, Goya (near city centre), Portillo and Delicias. 20 minutes more to Delicias but same time centre to centre.

(and cheaper)

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #3544
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

So how many trains, in practice, are using, daily, the HSL Zaragoza-Huesca? Just three?

I think it is a first step towards the ultimate goal, also known as linking-Zaragoza-with-Toulouse
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #3545
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
So how many trains, in practice, are using, daily, the HSL Zaragoza-Huesca? Just three?

I think it is a first step towards the ultimate goal, also known as linking-Zaragoza-with-Toulouse
AVE only one or two per day, those on the route Madrid-Huesca. Sometimes I take it when I fly to Madrid with final destination Huesca, but when my flight doesn't match the train schedule I just take the AVE Madrid-Barcelona which is scheduled almost every hour and get off in Zaragoza where I take either Bus or car to reach Huesca. Avant service doesn't exist any more as far as I know.
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:11 AM   #3546
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

Six regional daily trains with different schedules.

Monday to Friday, two Zaragoza-Canfranc plus four Zaragoza-Huesca (btw, they do not call at Miraflores, only at Goya, Portillo and Delicias at Zaragoza).
Saturday and sunday there will be one less Zaragoza-Huesca but you have a Zaragoza-Jaca instead (with anothe timetable).

But on weekdays, from 8:45 to 14:55 there are no trains from Zaragoza to Huesca (and later several ones)

In addition, one Huesca-Madrid-Huesca daily AVE (with some days in advance you can reach a promo fare barely at same price!!) and a second train on friday and sunday.

Bus service (exactly from same station to same station) run every hour or every half an hour on peak hours. We could chat about it for longer....

Quote:
Before crisis, monday, wednesday and friday we had a Zaragoza-Toulouse-Zaragoza flight on mornings and evenings. Perfect to go there or to link to another city. It existed for several months due to average was four passengers/flight

Barcelona-Toulouse via current HSL till Perpignan doesn't run on winter.

Perpignan hasn't direct train to Toulouse in winter.

off-topic.

June 26th France will re-open Oloron-Bedous railway. It is only part of way to Canfranc.... I was wondering new services and possible connecions to several cities.

Old May 16th, 2016, 01:28 AM   #3547
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3975

To sum up:

Only one daily AVE service in each direction uses the Zaragoza - Huesca HSL, while on Fridays and Sundays there are two daily AVE services each way.

The rest of services Alserrod is talking about use the classic line instead of the HSL.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:37 AM   #3548
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yeah, indeed.

More.... Zaragoza-Tardienta classic line is shared with all freight trains to Barcelona and three regional trains to Lerida
Tardienta-Huesca is shared by freight, regionals and AVE.

Old May 17th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #3549
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
off-topic.

June 26th France will re-open Oloron-Bedous railway. It is only part of way to Canfranc.... I was wondering new services and possible connecions to several cities.
As far as I know there are plans to re-open the entire Canfranc-Pau line by opening the last remaining segment Bedous-Canfranc in the following years. I do not know if High speed trains can run on this line but when this will happen it will make more sense to have more frequent High speed schedule in Zaragoza-Huesca line and perhaps, if possible, an Alvia service Madrid-Canfranc or Barcelona-Canfranc.

In that case the train journey between Zaragoza and Toulouse will become possible via train connections. I am not sure how long it will last though.
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #3550
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
As far as I know there are plans to re-open the entire Canfranc-Pau line by opening the last remaining segment Bedous-Canfranc in the following years. I do not know if High speed trains can run on this line but when this will happen it will make more sense to have more frequent High speed schedule in Zaragoza-Huesca line and perhaps, if possible, an Alvia service Madrid-Canfranc or Barcelona-Canfranc.

In that case the train journey between Zaragoza and Toulouse will become possible via train connections. I am not sure how long it will last though.

Today Spanish forumers wondered about a Huesca-Barcelona. It will save only 20 minutes over the bus (FC Barcelona got the bus to go to Huesca when they played there the cup).
Madrid-Huesca enlarged to Canfranc would be different.

France will re-open service till Bedous (we can check schedules on web) on June 26th and there is money for projects, not for works still.

I do not think works woud begin asap.....

Old May 17th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #3551
clickgr

Quote:
Today Spanish forumers wondered about a Huesca-Barcelona. It will save only 20 minutes over the bus (FC Barcelona got the bus to go to Huesca when they played there the cup).
Madrid-Huesca enlarged to Canfranc would be different.

France will re-open service till Bedous (we can check schedules on web) on June 26th and there is money for projects, not for works still.

I do not think works woud begin asap.....
Yes no works yet but the plan is to finish the line by 2020 according to various references on the web and the newspapers.

http://www.expansion.com/aragon/2015...65d8b4576.html
http://www.larepubliquedespyrenees.f...9/,1115386.php

As for the Huesca-Barcelona schedule it is not only a matter of time but also a matter of comfortability. Traveling with the regular bus from Huesca to Barcelona is quiet a pain stopping in all these villages on the way and making extra circles. Of course there is also an express bus with more comfortable seats for direct way between Huesca and Barcelona but it is still not better than the train and tickets cost almost the same as AVE if not more.

Last edited by clickgr; May 17th, 2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #3552
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is possible to buy a ticket with an assured link in Zaragoza from Barcelona to Huesca. It will save 20 minutes and terribly more expensive.

There are no Spanish forumers who believe any work on going before 2020.....

Old May 17th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #3553
clickgr

Quote:
It is possible to buy a ticket with an assured link in Zaragoza from Barcelona to Huesca. It will save 20 minutes and terribly more expensive.
I am not sure what you mean here. I have tried all possible ways to travel between Barcelona and Huesca with public transportation. Normal bus, express direct bus and AVE Barcelona-Zaragoza Delicias and then bus Zaragoza Delicias-Huesca. From all these 3 options I still prefer the last one. It is the most comfortable, with the most frequent schedule and not very expensive if you book your train ticket early (less than 30 euros).

Quote:
There are no Spanish forumers who believe any work on going before 2020.....
What matters is not what the Spanish forumers believe but what the Spanish and French states are intending to do.
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #3554
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
I am not sure what you mean here. I have tried all possible ways to travel between Barcelona and Huesca with public transportation. Normal bus, express direct bus and AVE Barcelona-Zaragoza Delicias and then bus Zaragoza Delicias-Huesca. From all these 3 options I still prefer the last one. It is the most comfortable, with the most frequent schedule and not very expensive if you book your train ticket early (less than 30 euros).

Let me say that, in the whole SSC, you are the first person who says you have linked in Zaragoza for a Barcelona-Huesca.

There are, indeed, good bus connections (trains Zaragoza-Huesca take same time than buses and stations are the same) but, maybe because not enough adds or so, people are not linking AVE and regional in one ticket when available.

What I wonder is why they do not put more Madrid-Zaragoza + regional to Huesca and allow a returnt ticket (main discount in Spain).

Quote:
What matters is not what the Spanish forumers believe but what the Spanish and French states are intending to do.

Just only we have read in media for a long time, have read about the possible new tunnel through central Pyrenees and so on. Several years ago we read about a full refurbishment over the Spanish line to Canfranc. It will require international gauge (or third rail), refurbish some corners and a new way from Ayerbe to Anzanigo with several tunnels. It is no worth to reburbish current line. In addition we can consider Plasencia del Monte-Ayerbe due to they have one slide every 800 m.....

After so many promises we saw that one stretch was refurbished with new material but nothing changed.

It is only so many years hearing news in media, we strongly do not believe in 2020 (maybe in 2030)

Old May 17th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #3555
clickgr

Quote:
Let me say that, in the whole SSC, you are the first person who says you have linked in Zaragoza for a Barcelona-Huesca.

There are, indeed, good bus connections (trains Zaragoza-Huesca take same time than buses and stations are the same) but, maybe because not enough adds or so, people are not linking AVE and regional in one ticket when available.

What I wonder is why they do not put more Madrid-Zaragoza + regional to Huesca and allow a returnt ticket (main discount in Spain).
I do the trip Germany-Huesca at least 3 times a year via flight to Barcelona (sometimes via flight to Madrid). As I said I prefer the train via Zaragoza over the bus to Huesca. In Zaragoza besides the connecting bus station right inside the Delicias train station, I also have the option some friend from Huesca to come over and pick me up at Zaragoza station by his car. Nevertheless the distance Huesca-Zaragoza is not that long and the road is a good straight highway with no traffic all the way.

I do not know how you ended up to this statistic that I am the only person in SSC that takes the train to go to Huesca from Barcelona, but I have to say the normal bus Barcelona-Huesca is awful with all these stops. Especially when you are traveling with family, high speed train is much better to spend the same time inside.

When the AVE trains start passing through the La Sagrera station in Barcelona in the near future, the train will become even more preferable since you will be able to access the AVE directly from the Airport via metro.
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #3556
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Even if AVE services start stopping at La Sagrera station and L9sud is connected to L9nord, it will be faster to take the Rodalies train from the airport to Sants station and then take the AVE there. Even if you take L9sud in the airport's T1, it's more convenient to change to Rodalies in El Prat station or to L5 in Collblanc to reach Sants.

In addition, you have to take into account that the new rail access to the airport's both terminals is already under construction, while works on the central section of L9 and La Sagrera HSR station are stopped or only advancing at a very slow pace.

Therefore, we can expect a situation in 2020 with metro and railway to both terminals in the airport, but no high speed trains stopping at La Sagrera station or L9 fully completed.

Bertolt Brecht
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #3557
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Even if AVE services start stopping at La Sagrera station and L9sud is connected to L9nord, it will be faster to take the Rodalies train from the airport to Sants station and then take the AVE there.
Is this something new? So far there was no train connection between Barcelona airport and Sants. There was only a shuttle bus from the airport to Plaza de España and then you had to walk for around 10 minutes to Sants station.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #3558
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Not really new, it opened in 1975, although only to T2 (which was the only terminal until 2009). There are trains between Sants and the airport every 30 minutes, and it takes 20 minutes to the airport. The station is located just outside the old terminal, linked to it via a footbridge. The new T2 metro station (which opened last February) is located just next to the train station.

In any event, the new rail link will have underground stations in both terminals, and it will be completely double tracked, so we can expect an increase in the number of services (2 trains per hour is not enough to give a good service).

Here you can see how Barcelona commuter rail network (Rodalies) looks like:

Bertolt Brecht

Last edited by arctic_carlos; May 17th, 2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #3559
clickgr

I was talking about the new terminal where most international flights arrive, I guess it is T2. So far it was faster to take the shuttle bus to reach Sants than change terminal at the airport and wait for the Roadies train.

One think I never understood is why in a country with such a good HSR network like Spain they didn't forecast to include AVE stations at its big international airports. Both Madrid and Barcelona have almost brad new terminals wich serve among the highest air traffic in Europe and none of them has AVE station inside.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #3560
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

lack of money
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza