daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #3801
status

Likes (Received): 9939

Zaragoza Delicias, a huge train station almost empty...

[/url]

Bogdy, dimlys1994, Jobber liked this post
status no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #3802
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15481

Quote:
Originally Posted by status View Post
...at the time the picture was taken.

Robi_damian liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #3803
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo (that famous four-way scramble) is desolate at 2:30 AM (Tokyo has little night life).
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #3804
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by status View Post

[/url]
It seems the picture was taken when a train just arrived and another one just leaving (or also arriving). So at this specific time there are some people going out from the platforms, and literally that's the busiest you can see this station. I do not ever remember myself seeing more than 2 trains staying inside the station at the same time, most of the times there is just one platform occupied at best (I use this station around 3 times a year over the last 10 years).

status liked this post

Last edited by clickgr; January 17th, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
clickgr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #3805
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

In this picture I can only see 2 Iberian gauge trains: a regional train on the left and a Cercanías train on the right. However, in Zaragoza Delicias most users are usually found in high speed services, which can't be seen in the picture as there wasn't neither AVE nor Alvia services in the station at that time. They should be on the left of the picture.

Bertolt Brecht

arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #3806
clickgr

If someone googles for photos showing the interior of Zaragoza Delicias station, will see in most cases very few people being inside and most photos on the web are taken on purpose having at least 2-3 trains on the platforms.

I would say a typical view of the station as it looks at at least 80% of the time is the following. Only one platform having people waiting for their train (don't know if it is HS or not) while all other platforms and the rest of the station is totally empty:

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #3807
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Yes, they're waiting on the platform where usually high speed services bound for Madrid or Barcelona stop.

As Alserrod pointed out, the fact Zaragoza Delicias is a passing station for most high speed services between Madrid and Barcelona, as well as for Alvia services between Barcelona and northern Spain means that trains don't dwell at the station for a long time, so passengers just go to the platforms when their train is announced (mostly because of the cold temperature).

And as I mentioned earlier, traffic other than high speed rail has little importance due to the fact of the city being surrounded by almost empty areas. Only the Ebro corridor towards Logroño and Pamplona has a significant number of population served by railway, and Huesca - Zaragoza is also a route with some traffic growth potential but very badly exploited.

Bertolt Brecht

Old January 17th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #3808
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3680

Also it is very cold at the station platforms, so many people wait upstairs in the bars and cafeterias!

Zaragoza inhabitants call this station Zaragoza-Siberia, beacuse of the cold inside, mainly now in Winter...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #3809
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

They should just heat the interior of the station then.
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #3810
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

The station can't be heated because it isn't a completely closed space: trains enter and leave platforms through gaps at the end of the platforms which let cold air come inside the station. That's especially felt on the western side of the station building, because at least its eastern end connects with the urban tunnel.

To makes matters worse, in Zaragoza there's usually a strong wind called "cierzo" which happens to blow exactly in the same west - east orientation of the platforms, meaning that wind gusts within the station building can be as harsh as in the outside.

Bertolt Brecht

Bitxofo liked this post
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #3811
clickgr

A couple of weeks ago I had to take my train connection there: AVE Huesca-Zaragoza and then AVE Zaragoza-Barcelona. My connection waiting time was around 1 hour and when I got out from the first train at Delicias it was damn freezing on the platform! Since I didn't have much time to go to the cafeteria and get something to drink, instead of going upstairs I decided to go downstairs. Under the platforms there is an underground waiting and check-in hall dedicated for connections. Very convenient and much warmer than the platforms and the rest of the station. This big hall has enough space and seats for passengers for all platforms, although there were no more than 10 other people also waiting there. Even though I didn't have to check in again, since my connection was at the same platform, it was eventually a very good idea to use it.

Vignole liked this post
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #3812
clickgr

By the way the two most freezing train stations I have visited are Zaragoza Delicias and Lille Europe. At Lille Europe at least there are more cafés to have a sit.
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #3813
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
The station can't be heated because it isn't a completely closed space: trains enter and leave platforms through gaps at the end of the platforms which let cold air come inside the station. That's especially felt on the western side of the station building, because at least its eastern end connects with the urban tunnel.

To makes matters worse, in Zaragoza there's usually a strong wind called "cierzo" which happens to blow exactly in the same west - east orientation of the platforms, meaning that wind gusts within the station building can be as harsh as in the outside.
and the city hasa strng cold win just in the same direction of train holes

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #3814
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
By the way the two most freezing train stations I have visited are Zaragoza Delicias and Lille Europe. At Lille Europe at least there are more cafés to have a sit.
True, I agree with you.
I say the same 2 stations, they are very very cold, mainly now in Winter!
(I lived in Liège)
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old January 18th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #3815
clickgr

To my opinion it can not be that hard to heat up Zaragoza Delicias. I have been to much bigger and much more open-air train stations like Frankfurt, Zurich, Paris gare du nord/est etc. with temperatures below 0 outside and didn’t feel that cold as inside Delicias. Sure the transverse wind current is an issue but after all it is a completely closed station, there must be a way to heat it up.

I think the main problem with this station is its low traffic and utilization. With such a few passengers inside, from cost perspective it would be a waste of money to use a heating system for such a big empty space. If there were more people things would be different, plus more human bodies and more activities in the station help to keep it warm.

Perhaps a good idea would be to transform it to a kind of shopping mall strain station. Even without increasing train schedules, by adding more commercial uses inside, like shops, restaurants, bars etc. surrounding the platforms, the station can become warmer and this huge building can be finally exploited properly functioning as both train station and shopping mall. Of course some modifications need to be done for that.
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #3816
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

We have moved on from ZGZ Delicias from being empty to being too cold.... Of course it is true that Spain is a Polar country with long and very cold winters and the levels of traffic now will always remain the same, so the station will always be too large for its traffic. (Tongue-in-cheek mode obviously).

Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #3817
clickgr

I do not understand your irony. Do you have a different opinion about what it is said here?
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #3818
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
Of course it is true that Spain is a Polar country with long and very cold winters and the levels of traffic now will always remain the same, so the station will always be too large for its traffic.
And it is of course equally true that in Spain no infrastructure ever gets constructed unless it is absolutely necessary, useful and adapted to the local needs...

clickgr, Robi_damian, phenician liked this post
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #3819
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
We have moved on from ZGZ Delicias from being empty to being too cold.... Of course it is true that Spain is a Polar country with long and very cold winters and the levels of traffic now will always remain the same, so the station will always be too large for its traffic. (Tongue-in-cheek mode obviously).
Well, some parts of Spain are very cold now.
Today it snowed in Murcia, in the South, a city where they saw snow for last time 34 years ago...

And Zaragoza is always cold in Winter.

@Clickgr,
I agree with you, Zaragoza-Delicias (aka Zaragoza-Siberia) needs a better heating system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbcn View Post
And it is of course equally true that in Spain no infrastructure ever gets constructed unless it is absolutely necessary, useful and adapted to the local needs...
Old January 19th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #3820
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

there are passengers but often... 100 or so in 10 minutes and empty for 20 more.

Passenger numbers are there

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza