daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1001
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

24h train traffic animated map

I'm quoting this post. It shows animations of train movements in Spain

1st map = only long distnace
2nd map = all heavy trains (not including subways)
3rd map = Madrid area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Trains in one day in Spain:
Only long and medium distance:

Long, medium and short distance:

Only short distance in Madrid

Aquarius, Ribarca, solchante liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1002
jovibo

Likes (Received): 18

ADIF has started the building of the viaduct over Almonte river in the high-speed line Madrid-Badajoz-Lisbon. It will be the world longest single-span bridge for a high-speed line (384m).

http://www.extremadura.com/extremadu...63574c8cac.jpg

http://www.voxelstudios.es/viaducto-rio-almonte.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl4Oc2OqxHk

solchante liked this post
jovibo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1003
Patryk

Likes (Received): 55

When will be direct trains Paris - Madrid ??
Patryk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1004
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

it is expected for December (of this year)

Operated by SNCF

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1005
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

Hey,

is there any information about the new line Albacete-Alicant that is planning to be opened in summer 2013? Any information about some opening date? It will be the last opening of a High Speed Rail within the next 2-3 years, correct?

Thanks for your answer
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1006
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Minister said that before St. John's Eve, so... before June 23rd

But no exact date yet.

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1007
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15437

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
Hey,

is there any information about the new line Albacete-Alicant that is planning to be opened in summer 2013? Any information about some opening date?
Like alserrod said, it will be around June the 24th.

Quote:
It will be the last opening of a High Speed Rail within the next 2-3 years, correct?
I don´t think so, the section Olmedo-Zamora is also rather advanced.
That´s on the Madrid-Galicia HSL.

Quote:
Thanks for your answer
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1008
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Minister said that before St. John's Eve, so... before June 23rd

But no exact date yet.
Actually how big are the time savings compared to the current situation going to be? Or is that also not announced yet?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1009
JumpUp

Thanks for your information. Sounds great! I'll be back in Spain in summer to get on riding AVE (it's such a fun!)
Another thing I am curious about is the AVE Huesca-Madrid:

How is the High speed track between Huesca and Zaragoza like? Is it a "real" High Speed rail, or is it just an upgraded line with a combined track ["normal" and "spanish"gauge together] between Zaragoza and Huesca?

Why is there only ONE AVE per day?

Will the line be built someday from Huesca somewhere further north or west to get more AVE connections, or will it be one train per day forever?

Thanks again
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #1010
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
Thanks for your information. Sounds great! I'll be back in Spain in summer to get on riding AVE (it's such a fun!)
Another thing I am curious about is the AVE Huesca-Madrid:

How is the High speed track between Huesca and Zaragoza like? Is it a "real" High Speed rail, or is it just an upgraded line with a combined track ["normal" and "spanish"gauge together] between Zaragoza and Huesca?

Why is there only ONE AVE per day?

Will the line be built someday from Huesca somewhere further north or west to get more AVE connections, or will it be one train per day forever?

Thanks again

Huesca-Zaragoza rail lane is quite curious.

Zaragoza-Huesca has two single tracks, one classic and one UIC gauge adapted with a limit of 200 until Tardienta.
After Tardienta there is a "three rails lane" which allow to drive all kind of trains despite only AVE trains can be electrical (catenary only ready for them, conventional should be diesel). It has a 160 km/h speed limit.

Mixing both lanes in Tardienta requires a 30 km/h limit.

Until 2003 there was a daily Madrid-Jaca train calling at Guadalajara, Sigüenza, Arcos de Jalon, Ariza, Calatayud, Zaragoza, Tardienta, Huesca, Ayerbe, Sabiñánigo and Jaca.

This train made last trip the day before an AVE train made the Madrid-Huesca, as well as two regional trains Madrid-Zaragoza and Zaragoza-Jaca started with similar callings than conventional one.

In fact, it is not able to arrive Huesca more than 160 km/h... and with the "half-HSL" average speed is around 120 km/h from Zaragoza... but it doesn't require to change gauge.

It will depart Madrid running at 300 and later only 200 or 160.
It has the problem that there are only one point where trains can cross themselves. And Tardienta-Huesca can allow only one train at the same train in both directions... even AVE, regional or freight.

On weekends you have a second daily train.

There is one thing I would never understand... According to train shuttle that Renfe started several months ago, there are three regional trains that shuttle Huesca-Zaragoza-Barcelona making in an AVE Zaragoza-Barcelona.

It really doesn't worth because you do not save too much time (trip to Zaragoza, waiting, etc...) compared with a regular bus service and it is rather expensive than bus...

but they hadn't considered to make some regional trains Huesca-Zaragoza and shuttle with and AVE to Madrid (and it would worth a lot!!!!!!)

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1011
Sister Greed U

Official news: Frédéric Cuvillier has confirmed on the radio that April the 28th is the date the direct TGV services Barcelona-Paris and vv. will start running. Two per day, three on weekends.
Also two AVE Barcelona-Toulouse and vv. per day.
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1012
Sunfuns

I was wondering about the maximum capacity of the newer high speed lines in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. I read that there are six trains per hour on the lone Taiwan high speed route and even more on Tokyo-Osaka route. Would such frequencies be technically feasible on say Madrid-Barcelona or Paris-Lyon route if there was a demand for it?
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1013
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The Paris - Lyon line is already near its limit. Trains are already lengthened, most trains are double deck and the signaling systems have been optimized. Guillaume Pépy, CEO of SNCF, has asked the French politicians to start construction of a 2nd high speed line between Paris and Lyon.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1014
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The Paris - Lyon line is already near its limit. Trains are already lengthened, most trains are double deck and the signaling systems have been optimized. Guillaume Pépy, CEO of SNCF, has asked the French politicians to start construction of a 2nd high speed line between Paris and Lyon.
I know that, but do they already have as many trains per hour as is the case for the major lines in East Asia? I don't think they do and if that is so I'd like to understand why. Does it have to do with the capacity of terminal stations or perhaps the first few km are shared with commuter trains or something entirely else?
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1015
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I know that, but do they already have as many trains per hour as is the case for the major lines in East Asia? I don't think they do and if that is so I'd like to understand why. Does it have to do with the capacity of terminal stations or perhaps the first few km are shared with commuter trains or something entirely else?
There are various reasons such as the slow acceleration speed of the TGV compared to the Shinkansen requiring more lead time, utilization of rail tracks with other rail traffic which requires more lead time etc.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1016
Sister Greed U

The section between the Coubert junction and the Pasilly junction of the Paris-Lyon HSL can get a train every five minutes at peak hours. It is bordering saturation.

The busiest HSL in Spain by number of trains is not the Madrid-Barcelona line, but the Madrid-Seville line between Madrid-Atocha station and the Torrejon de Velasco junction.
Although that is a temporary situation since it´s being quadruple-tracked.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1017
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
The busiest HSL in Spain by number of trains is not the Madrid-Barcelona line, but the Madrid-Seville line between Madrid-Atocha station and the Torrejon de Velasco junction.
Although that is a temporary situation since it´s being quadruple-tracked.
That is because the same stretch is also used for AVE trains to Valencia and Albacete, right?
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1018
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I was wondering about the maximum capacity of the newer high speed lines in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. I read that there are six trains per hour on the lone Taiwan high speed route and even more on Tokyo-Osaka route. Would such frequencies be technically feasible on say Madrid-Barcelona or Paris-Lyon route if there was a demand for it?
There are up to at least 18 trains per hour per direction (likely around 22) on the LGV Sud-Est, but most of them are not Paris-Lyon services as trains going from Paris to somewhere else in southern France skip Lyon, and as trains from northern to southern France stopping in Lyon Part Dieu skip Paris' central termini.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1019
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The TVM-430 signalling system as used on most LGVs allows headways of 2m45s, which means 22 trains per hour.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #1020
JumpUp

HeyHo,

I am curious about month/year tickets for commuters on the AVE. I didn't find any information online...

I know that there is NO year ticket for all of Renfes network, but how is it with year/month tickets for a special releation (like Zaragoza-Madrid)? What is the price? Is it possible to buy a year ticket for all releations in Spain? Is there a link for more information to be found on the internet?

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza