daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1121
alserrod
Bienvenue ā Saragosse

Sorry, I was talking about Pajares tunnel.

I have no news about tunnel in Leon city

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1122
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

I don't know exactly the current situation of the León project but the news that we have is that it is frozen.

To start the construction works, it was needed to cut the rail traffic and build the temporary station. The temporary station was opened and the traffic throught the city was cut, but we don't have any new that works started.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1123
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3925

I came across this image of the new Renfe workshop in Valladolid. Does anyone know what exactly it is about - maintenance, production?

Photo by Ricardo Melgar
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1124
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15482

Maintenance mostly, but given the case, construction too.
Itīs not yet in use, itīs supposed to replace the current workshop at Valladolid-Campo Grande station.

Viva_Bulgaria liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1125
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Nudo de Mollet – Mixed use high-speed line Barcelona – France

Yesterday I grabbed my car to take some pictures of the Nudo de Mollet, which is the name of the place where the UIC freight line around Barcelona meets up with the High-speed passenger line coming from Barcelona Sants. As you can see in the pics, the day was nice and glorious:-)

To give you an idea of where I took the pictures from, below a little arrow on a very good railmap of Spain (courtesy of geotren.es). Hope you enjoy the pictures:

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1126
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I've just read that AVE service between Madrid and Alicante will start June 24th. Is that accurate?

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/c...peed-promotion
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1127
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I've just read that AVE service between Madrid and Alicante will start June 24th. Is that accurate?

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/c...peed-promotion
Yes, give it or take a day or two.

The HSL will open without Villena station, which isnīt finished yet, so trains will run non-stop from Albacete to Alicante.

We still donīt know the timetables, but we guess that all the Alvia services Madrid-Alicante, as well as all the AVE Madrid-Albacete will become AVE Madrid-Allicante.

As for the Alvia Alicante-Santander, Alicante-Gijon and Alicante-Corunna/Vigo, we donīt know yet. They may carry on as Alvia, but we still donīt know.
Old April 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1128
Sunfuns

Some recent news I've found about building works for Galicia line:

http://www.rail.co/2013/04/18/viaduc...gh-speed-line/

Acording to the article a sizable length viaduct has just been finished in Zamora-Ourense section.

Also the section of this website describing high speed railway bridges might be of interest to some of you. Lots of high quality pictures of building process.

http://www.eipsa.net/en/proyectos.asp?id_tipo=1

By the way Spanish railway/highway construction news are considerably easier to find than the same for other major countries. Well done!
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #1129
alserrod
Bienvenue ā Saragosse

Thx

Should you enter in the Spanish subforum, all threads related to HSL are with the label "LAV" in advance of the name, so you will find information quite soon.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1130
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Should you enter in the Spanish subforum, all threads related to HSL are with the label "LAV" in advance of the name, so you will find information quite soon.
I know, I do check forums in other languages as well if I'm really interested and have a bit of extra time. At least in ones google translator doesn't turn into pure gibberish
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:16 AM   #1131
Sister Greed U

I said this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
The HSL will open without Villena station, which isnīt finished yet, so trains will run non-stop from Albacete to Alicante.
But after the last update on the Spanish forum about that station, Iīm not so sure, though I still think they wonīt be in time.
But man, they ARE fast.
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1132
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I said this...

But after the last update on the Spanish forum about that station, Iīm not so sure, though I still think they wonīt be in time.
But man, they ARE fast.

I looked up the pictures posted in the Spanish section and the place seems to be located in the open fields. Is this station really going to be particularly useful? I've heard that some of these "beetroot" stations in Spain (in France too) are used by just handful of people a day and were built only because of lobbying by the nearby municipality. I don't know the local population dynamics so I can't be completely sure, but on the surface this looks like another of those...
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1133
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Some recent news I've found about building works for Galicia line:
What about the tunnels? How is their progress? They account for 70 km or more and are thus the most costly part of the line.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1134
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What about the tunnels? How is their progress? They account for 70 km or more and are thus the most costly part of the line.
There wasn't any information about that so I don't really know. Perhaps our Spanish posters know something more? The semi-official finishing deadlines I have heard are end of next year until Zamora and 2018 for the whole line so I assume there is still a lot to do...

There was also a link few months ago in this thread or maybe the regular Spain/railways thread about this particular line being favoured with funding this year (about 900 million euros). I think there is a good chance of it being finished +/- 1-2 years from the dates mentioned above.

Last edited by Sunfuns; April 21st, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1135
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva_Bulgaria View Post
I came across this image of the new Renfe workshop in Valladolid. Does anyone know what exactly it is about - maintenance, production?

Photo by Ricardo Melgar
I love massive buildings like this for train maintenance. thanks for sharing..
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1136
Sister Greed U

Quote:
I looked up the pictures posted in the Spanish section and the place seems to be located in the open fields.
Itīs located 3km outside Villena.

Quote:
Is this station really going to be particularly useful? I've heard that some of these "beetroot" stations in Spain (in France too) are used by just handful of people a day and were built only because of lobbying by the nearby municipality. I don't know the local population dynamics so I can't be completely sure, but on the surface this looks like another of those...
Iīm not so sure in this case.

Anyway, it depends on the timetables Renfe will concoct.
Besides, this station at Villena will serve not just the HSL for Albacete, Cuenca, Madrid and beyond, but also the HSL (under advanced construction) for Xativa, Valencia and further north allong the classic line to Barcelona.

The area is reasonably populated (Villena, Yecla, Almansa, Alcoy, Elda, Petrer...).
It will depend mainly on the road connections (the Valencia regional government has financial problems, and itīs their bidding to build them).

Weīll see. This shouldnīt be a "Requena-Utiel case", but itīs up to Renfe to develop an attractive timetable offer to attract passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What about the tunnels?
Iīve found this on the Madrid-Galicia HSL thread of the Spanish fórum. Click on the pic to enlarge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotecnico View Post
Un bonito recuerdo de este fin de semana.

Boca Oeste de los nuevos Túneles de O Corno

[IMG]http://s2.******************/imagen/previo/thump_8397659dibujo.png[/IMG]
They are working really hard and fast on this HSL.
Itīll be really expensive, but it will completely change the railway in northwestern Spain, travel times will become really decent.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1137
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Any news on Barcelona - France TGVs? Last we heard they should start running this week...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1138
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Any news on Barcelona - France TGVs? Last we heard they should start running this week...
There are a lot of rumors but nothing clear.

It is supposed that french trains are having problems in Spain and spanish trains are having problems in France. Nothing special but it would require some weeks/months. Some of the rumors are a little embarassing for the engineers, like they'd found than spanish and french ERTMS aren't compatible.

Also in the last days a lot of people is talking about a big problem with the electricity supply. There is a 400 kV main link that had to be built to supply power to northen Catalonia, but it hasn't been built due to environmental opposition. It is not a problem of railways but a problem of general power suply to Catalonia. The issue here is that the power substations of the line aren't connected to the power network, and they won't be for a while.

It is supposed that in this conditions only one train can use the line at the same time. Two trains have risk of cause a blackout. This would be a big limitation, but in this case TGVs could replace some current AVE paths.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1139
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
We just know that today the TGV should come to Barcelona in tests again.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1140
Sister Greed U

Slight correction to your data:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Also in the last days a lot of people is talking about a big problem with the electricity supply. There is a 400 kV main link that had to be built to supply power to northern Catalonia,
For "northern Catalonia" he means "the Girona province", that is, the Costa Brava region, the one between Lloret de Mar and the French border.
Itīs true that this region lacks power, there are blackouts from time to time.

Quote:
but it hasn't been built due to environmental opposition.
Itīs currently being built. The thing is that because of that delay, itīs affecting the HSL.

Quote:
It is not a problem of railways but a problem of general power suply to Catalonia. The issue here is that the power substations of the line aren't connected to the power network, and they won't be for a while.

It is supposed that in this conditions only one train can use the line at the same time. Two trains have risk of cause a blackout. This would be a big limitation, but in this case TGVs could replace some current AVE paths.
Right you are.
The new (and delayed) Very High Tension line from Baixas (near Perpignan, in France) to Bescano (near Girona, in Spain) should be opening by 2014.

Once that line in use, the HSL should have more power, so trains would be able to run faster and more than one at a time.

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza