daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1341
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

Look at the landscape.
One HSL is enough of a scar. A motorway next to it would be just too much.
It depends on how you look at it. Here in the Netherlands, the government opted for "bundling" the high speed line with the highways as much as possible to reduce the impact on the landscape. As a result, the line follows much of the A4 from Schiphol to Leiden, and the A16/E19 from the Hollandsch Diep to Antwerp.

Combining a highway and a high speed line makes for one area of noise and landscape damage, not impacting the landscape and wildlife further down.

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1342
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I would state that neither in that case.

There was a project to have a short commuter train till La Seu..... But in some other time and with more money.

Arriving to La Seu from Lerida (maybe easiest way) would be hard.

In fact, the easiest connection from Andorra to railway is with France via Pas de la casa. But.... standard railway therw and several tunnels

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1343
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15393

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
It depends on how you look at it. Here in the Netherlands, the government opted for "bundling" the high speed line with the highways as much as possible to reduce the impact on the landscape. As a result, the line follows much of the A4 from Schiphol to Leiden, and the A16/E19 from the Hollandsch Diep to Antwerp.

Combining a highway and a high speed line makes for one area of noise and landscape damage, not impacting the landscape and wildlife further down.

Er... yeah, but as you´ve just seen on the pic, the Basque Country is a bit more, er... hilly, than the Netherlands.
Which makes things a teensy bit more tricky.

And yes, in part, it follows a motorway, but motorways can have a gradient that HSR can´t.
And this particular line will be mixed HSR-freight, and mixed HSLs are allergic to steep gradients.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #1344
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Except in high mountains... it is near so hilly to Switzerland...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1345
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Except in high mountains... it is near so hilly to Switzerland...
Sorry, are you answering me?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1346
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:

Er... yeah, but as you´ve just seen on the pic, the Basque Country is a bit more, er... hilly, than the Netherlands.
Only by a little bit.

Quote:
Which makes things a teensy bit more tricky.
Nah, kidding, I have an idea of what the region looks like, I've seen plenty of pictures. I've also spent numerous vacations with my parents in northern Spain (Costa Brava), going there by car.
Quote:
And yes, in part, it follows a motorway, but motorways can have a gradient that HSR can´t.
And this particular line will be mixed HSR-freight, and mixed HSLs are allergic to steep gradients.
Very true
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:16 AM   #1347
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Nah, kidding, I have an idea of what the region looks like, I've seen plenty of pictures. I've also spent numerous vacations with my parents in northern Spain (Costa Brava), going there by car.
The Costa Brava is not what we Spaniards call "The North", the Costa Brava is the Med, Eastern Spain: Northeastern Spain actually, but still far more southern than the Basque Country geographically, and also in mind, spirit and climate.

Many Europeans overlook the Spanish Atlantic coast, while it has little to envy Britain or Ireland. Remember these words.

SAS 16 liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:36 AM   #1348
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

/off-topic comment: the water is just too cold to allow swimming in April or October like it is possible on the Mediterranean. It also rains a lot west of Gijón.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #1349
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Many Europeans overlook the Spanish Atlantic coast, while it has little to envy Britain or Ireland. Remember these words.
I don't. I have been sailing in Galicia last summer. Best food ever...

Interesting train ride back to Switzerland too. Confirms that RENFE has probably the best trains in Europe at the moment, but no clue whatsoever how to get the most out of them...

arnau_Vic liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1350
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I don't. I have been sailing in Galicia last summer. Best food ever...

Quote:
Interesting train ride back to Switzerland too. Confirms that RENFE has probably the best trains in Europe at the moment, but no clue whatsoever how to get the most out of them...
What exactly do you mean?
Because I wouldn´t say Renfe has the best trains in Europe...

Overall, I´d say French trains are better, and also better used. They don´t shake that much.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1351
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

I think the best high-speed trains in Europe running at the moment are the AGVs from Italo. Those from RENFE come second place. Then the TGVs or Thalys, then the refurbished "Freccie" from Trenitalia, then ICEs, then Eurostar.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1352
압둘라-爱- LOVE
'대한민국'

Likes (Received): 1693

Al Haramain high speed rail with spanish train

El diseño de la obra del AVE Medina-La Meca y el material rodante se ajustan a los plazos

(Saudi Arabia) Al Haramain high speed rail [Talgo 350] >> Spainish Train

http://treneando.com/2013/07/03/el-d...nte-en-plazos/

🆃🅷🅴 🅱🅴🆂🆃
압둘라-爱- LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #1353
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
What exactly do you mean?
Because I wouldn´t say Renfe has the best trains in Europe...
I haven't travelled that much by train in Spain yet, but what I have seen has impressed me.
The trains on the Vigo - A Coruna line were modern, and clean. Cleaner even than one would expect in Switzerland. The night train from A Coruna to Barcelona idem. I think that the "Trenotel" is the right way to operate a modern night train.
I also travelled the regional network around Barcelona, and especially the FGC network struck me as modern and efficient (and punctual).
However, I see a lot of unrealised potential too.
For example, in Galicia the network is good enough that you could capture a significant slice of commuter traffic. Currently however the service levels (the trains themselves are great) are to low, the fact that you need to reserve even for a short trip from Vilagarcia to Santiago and the lack of integration are big handicaps. These things all can be fixed quite cheaply.
The Spanish railways should investigate how they can get more out of their existing network and rolling stock, before pouring more money (that Spain doesn't really have at the moment) in to infrastructure.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #1354
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Then the TGVs or Thalys, then the refurbished "Freccie" from Trenitalia, then ICEs, then Eurostar.
TGV/Thalys better then the ICE. I don't agree. I'm tall and I feel the interior of the TGV was designed for people with southern European posture, whereas the ICE was built with the taller north Europeans in mind.
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1355
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think the best high-speed trains in Europe running at the moment are the AGVs from Italo. Those from RENFE come second place. Then the TGVs or Thalys, then the refurbished "Freccie" from Trenitalia, then ICEs, then Eurostar.
I've recently traveled on the Thalys and it was a decrepit train compared to the ICE3 I traveled on earlier.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1356
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I haven't travelled that much by train in Spain yet, but what I have seen has impressed me.
The trains on the Vigo - A Coruna line were modern, and clean. Cleaner even than one would expect in Switzerland. The night train from A Coruna to Barcelona idem. I think that the "Trenotel" is the right way to operate a modern night train.
I also travelled the regional network around Barcelona, and especially the FGC network struck me as modern and efficient (and punctual).
FGC standards are rather high, that´s true.
They work the way we´d like Renfe to work (though in some aspects Renfe does better, in my opinion: FGC is a bit too automatized to me, it lacks a bit of human element).

Quote:
However, I see a lot of unrealised potential too.
For example, in Galicia the network is good enough that you could capture a significant slice of commuter traffic. Currently however the service levels (the trains themselves are great) are to low, the fact that you need to reserve even for a short trip from Vilagarcia to Santiago and the lack of integration are big handicaps. These things all can be fixed quite cheaply.
The Spanish railways should investigate how they can get more out of their existing network and rolling stock, before pouring more money (that Spain doesn't really have at the moment) in to infrastructure.
They´re into that. Recently they´ve lowered the fares for the long distance trains, and trains are more crowded now. These need compulsory reservation anyway.

But for regional trains (the Santiago to Vilagarcía trip you´re telling about, for instance), I agree that many of these trains shouldn´t have the compulsory reservation. Many other forumers agree abou that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
TGV/Thalys better then the ICE. I don't agree. I'm tall and I feel the interior of the TGV was designed for people with southern European posture, whereas the ICE was built with the taller north Europeans in mind.
The TGV has also the same problem when compared to the AVE (even to the ones built by Alstom). I don´t think it´s a Northern vs Southern thing.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1357
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3336

Quote:

But we are a very dense country to start with especially along the coast. It makes sense then to combine the two. But we don't have real untouched nature like the picture shown.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1358
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
I've recently traveled on the Thalys and it was a decrepit train compared to the ICE3 I traveled on earlier.
I have travelled a lot with the Thalys from Amsterdam for a few months and I have always been in very nice and reasonably new trains. My main issue is the narrowness. It's a big issue getting in and out with a heavy bag at a busy station.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1359
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I have travelled a lot with the Thalys from Amsterdam for a few months and I have always been in very nice and reasonably new trains. My main issue is the narrowness. It's a big issue getting in and out with a heavy bag at a busy station.
Well this, plus the window I was at was broken, and there was no apology about this or anything. The electric outlet was also malfunctioning. Leg room was less than on the ICE (I have long legs, legroom is not a luxury for me, it's a necessity), Chinese trains I've been on had more legroom.
On the return trip the window wasn't broken, but the train left an hour late without any explanations as to why (rumor was the train was broken).
Also, the ride itself was rather bumpy, even on the newest of HS tracks, not like the smooth ride I had on Chinese ICE3 derivatives.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1360
Sister Greed U

Strangely, in Spain (because this is not the thread about the Thalys) I´ve always felt that S-100 (Alstom, French) are the least bumpy, then S-103 (Siemens, German), then S-102 and S-112 (Talgo, Spanish + Bombardier, Canadian), and the bumpiest (manner of speaking) would be the S-120 (CAF, Spanish).

Tags
adif, ave, high speed rail, spain in the world, valencia, zaragoza