daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #181
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Krefeld Hbf.:

The new Bombardier Flexity Outlook, Dreikönigenstraße:

mm-trains.de

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #182
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

Hello JoKo65, I really enjoyed reading this topic, just as the topic about Cologne. Thank you for posting all these pictures and information! In the city where I live (Groningen, NL) there are plans to reintroduce the tram. The first line should be built by 2014. That's why I like to see how the tram is embedded in the streets. Moreover, the tram planned to introduce in Groningen (and surroundings) is a regiotram (Karlsruher Modell).

Something else: I was wondering, are there any kinds of electronic tickets? Are there plans to introduce a system like Oyster in London, Octopus in Hongkong or OV-Chipkaart in The Netherlands?
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #183
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

In the Ruhrgebiet they have electronic tickets for season cards, normal tickets are still paper tickets. The reading devices for the electronic tickets are quite slow, they take about 5 seconds to read the chip.

As for the embedding into the streets: it really differs. Most lines have been put underground in the busier city centres. The only exception is Krefeld. The last picture that JoKo65 posted is in the city centre of Krefeld, It is a four-track tram line, because it is used by both narrow-gauge normal trams and by normal-gauge 2,65m wide regiotrams.

For the rest, these are some examples:

(Own photo's unless noted)

[IMG]http://i36.************/j7cape.jpg[/IMG]
Little narrow-gauge tram in the main shopping street of Witten

[IMG]http://i35.************/jqrg47.jpg[/IMG]
Double-traction Stadtbahn (regiotram / almost full metro) on the middle strip of a motorway

[IMG]http://i44.************/2iawtuf.jpg[/IMG]
The same 2,65m wide double-traction Stadtbahn trains, but now as a tram on a normal road. It is on a tram stop now, so the cars have to stop if passengers want to leave or board the train.

[IMG]http://i40.************/2nrq2on.jpg[/IMG]
Typical tram street in the Ruhrgebiet: roads with at least four lanes, the tram uses the lanes in the middle. (However, on this particular street, the tram was replaced by a premetro)

[IMG]http://i42.************/a4tmol.jpg[/IMG]
Narrow-gauge tram track in a suburb of Witten

Examples of trams running in narrow streets in the city centre are rare in the Ruhrgebiet. The only good one I can think of is the Hunsrückenstr. in Düsseldorf:

Source: Panoramio

Other examples, like the Hauptstr. in Herne-Eickel, are not really comparable to the situation in Groningen, I think.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #184
Grunnen

Oh, wait, how could I forget Neuss?

Bi-directional single track running through the main street of Neuss (source)

Double track portion during winter (source)

As for the Groningen ideas for the suburbs, you won't find many examples of that in Germany. In Germany, the tram generally only gets an own right-of-way if at least two car lanes remain on either side. Only in Bielefeld (near the Rathaus stop) I have seen tram tracks in grass with only one lane of asphalt on either side.
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #185
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

Haha, funny to see my questions answered by a Groninger But thanks anyway! I like the pictures of Düsseldorf and Neuss especially. What do the shopkeepers think about the tram in their street? Because in Groningen some shopkeepers think the tram will ruin their businesses ("trams are dangerous, noisy, ...").
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #186
Grunnen

In Neuss the tram has been very controversial during the last few years. The city council wanted to remove it from the shopping street, but in a referendum the citizens voted to keep the tram. It was then decided to renew the entire street and reduce the tram from double-track to single-track.

However, another factor in play is that the tramway leads directly to the Düsseldorf city centre, so a natural thought for Neuss shopkeepers is that the tramway makes Düsseldorf take customers away from Neuss. The Neuss city council already augmented the tariff* to discourage this.

(* Stichwort: Zwischenwabe -> Preisstufe B)

Btw. It's indeed very funny that we meet in this thread. As you probably know I've closely followed the Groningen tram developments during the last years, but it is very much a coincidence that I lived in the Ruhrgebiet for a few years and therefore also check this thread, and that you as fellow Groninger also came to look here.

Last edited by Grunnen; April 26th, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #187
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #188
trainrover

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #189
trainrover

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #190
trainrover

Even its swaying is graceful
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #191
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

Stadler Variobahn in Gelsenkirchen:

geometarkv liked this post
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #192
Grunnen

In the first picture the driver's wearing a Schalke shirt
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #193
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
In the first picture the driver's wearing a Schalke shirt

At matchdays many drivers are wearing Schalke shirts on the "stadium line" 302.
This picture was taken close to the stadium's tram station:

GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #194
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5820

Ruhrarea | Public Transport

The Ruhr

The Ruhr (German Ruhrgebiet, colloquial Ruhrpott, Kohlenpott, Pott or Revier), is an urban area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. With 4435 km² and a population of some 5.2 million (2009), it is the largest urban agglomeration in Germany. From west to east, the region includes the cities of Duisburg, Oberhausen, Bottrop, Mülheim an der Ruhr, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Herne, Hagen, Dortmund, and Hamm, as well as parts of the more "rural" districts Wesel, Recklinghausen, Unna and Ennepe-Ruhr-Kreis. Historically, the western Ruhr towns, such as Duisburg and Essen, belonged to the historic region of the Rhineland, whereas the eastern part of the Ruhr, including Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Dortmund and Hamm, were part of the region of Westphalia.

It is the fourth largest urban area in Europe after Moscow, London and Paris.
For 2010, the Ruhr region was one of the European Capitals of Culture.

Road Transport

The Ruhr has one of the densest motorway networks in all of Europe, with dozens of Autobahns and Autobahn like Schnellstraßen (expressways) crossing the region. The Autobahn network is built in a grid network, with 4 east-west (A2, A40, A42, A44) and 7 north-south (A1, A3, A43, A45, A52, A57, A59) routes. A1, A2 and A3 are mostly used by through traffic, while other autobahns have a more regional function. Both A44 and A52 have several missing links, in various stages of planning. Some missing links are currently not considered to be constructed.
Additional expressways serve as bypasses and local routes, especially around Dortmund and Bochum. Due to the density of the autobahns and expressways, Bundesstraßes are less important for intercity traffic. The first Autobahns in the Ruhr opened during the mid-1930s. Due to the density of the network, and the number of alternate routes, traffic volumes are generally lower than other major metropolitan areas in Europe. Traffic congestion is an everyday occurrence, but far less compared to Randstad, another polycentric urban area. Most important Autobahns possess six lanes, but there are no eight-lane Autobahns in the Ruhr.

Public transport
All public transport companies in the Ruhr are run under the umbrella of the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr, which provides a uniform ticket system valid for the entire area. The Ruhr region is well-integrated into the Deutsche Bahn, both in passenger and cargo rail.

Air transport
Düsseldorf International Airport serves as the interncontinental airport for North Rhine-Westphalia and is within 20 km for most of the Western Ruhr area. Dortmund Airport in the Eastern Ruhr is a mid-sized airport, offering scheduled flights to domestic and European destinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr
Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #195
Kaufmann

public transport system Rhein-Ruhr
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #196
Kaufmann

But now i will start with the biggest city of the ruhrarea - Dortmund

subway map

NGT8 Tram

Skytrain

image hosted on flickr

Dortmund pre-metro

[IMG]http://img.******************/Architektur-Bauwesen/Architektur-bei-Nacht/U-Bahn-Dortmund-a19362639.jpg[/IMG]

Bus

Dortmund night express

Dortmund Airport

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Kaufmann; October 17th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #197
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaufmann View Post
Dortmund Subway
That's a pre-metro and no subway.
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #198
Kaufmann

already upgraded