search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #61
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Schwebebahn in Wuppertal, Alter Markt station:

railfaneurope.net

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #62
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I guess here would be as good a place to ask this question as anywhere, but what are they going to do with Kampstrasse now that U43/U44 have been built? Are they going to make more car lanes on the road (please no) or are they going to simply remove the tram tracks and convert it into green space and a walkway in the centre of the road like a lot of other boulevard-type roads have?
They rebuild the street to a boulevard. Broad pavements and lanes for the cars in the middle. A section will be closed for cars.

Some photos of last year. After the tram line had been closed, they began with the works.

27.4.2008 had been the last day of service:

Seven days later the works began:

No tram anymore, now Stadtbahn runs in the underground:

Stretch is orphaned:

In the background you can see the entrance to the Stadtbahn station, watch the blue sign!

Bye, bye tram!

tramtracks.de

geometarkv liked this post
JoKo65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #63
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8261

Thank you for the pictures! As long as the car lanes don't dominate the road (as has happened on Bergwall/Königswall/Schwanenwall/Ostwall/Südwall/etc etc) then that's okay. A shame they didn't do a Kurfüstendamm style greenspace in the middle though - I've always loved that road arrangement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #64
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Here's a map I made some time ago:

[IMG]http://i40.************/2qjiom0.png[/IMG]
It shows all Tram, Stadtbahn and S-Bahn lines in the Ruhr Area, and it also indicates whether they have their own right-of-way or if they run in mixed traffic.

Unfortunately, I don't know how I can host the entire image, because it is so huge. I tried Tinypic, but as you can see it scales the image down.

AMAZING map. do you have it in a bigger size?

ovem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #65
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 53

Yes:

Click here (6500x1600 699 kB)
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #66
JoKo65

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures! As long as the car lanes don't dominate the road (as has happened on Bergwall/Königswall/Schwanenwall/Ostwall/Südwall/etc etc) then that's okay. A shame they didn't do a Kurfüstendamm style greenspace in the middle though - I've always loved that road arrangement.
As far as I read, the pedestrains should dominate the new boulevard.

Here two additional photos, tram one week before the end of service:

And here the first day of the new low floor Ost-West-Stadtbahn, which substituted the tram:

railfaneurope.net

Now Dortmund has got a high floor and a low floor Stadtbahn network.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #67
paF4uko
Blow the Horn!

Likes (Received): 620

What is the Vmax of the low floor vehicles?
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #68
geogregor

Likes (Received): 10570

Quote:
I love the Schwebebahn, it's so unique! It would certainly be one of the reasons I went to visit Wuppertal.
I went to Wuppertal last year just to ride Schwebebahn.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #69
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 91

paF4uko : If you're referring to post #3, 70 km/h max for all low-floor models shown there.

Shown in those pics in post #3 are Duewag NF6D/MGT6D, Bombardier Flexity Classic and Siemens Combino (all 70 km/h max), plus two high-floor Duewag M8C (70 km/h) and two GT10NC-DU with one low-floor compartment (60 km/h).
Not shown is the new low-floor Stadler Variobahn (Bogestra version also limited to 70 km/h, there's faster versions of the same model).
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #70
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by paF4uko View Post
What is the Vmax of the low floor vehicles?
If you mean Dortmund's low floor Stadtbahn in post 23, the Vmax of the NGT8 trains is 70 km/h.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #71
paF4uko
Blow the Horn!

Likes (Received): 620

Thank you both!
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #72
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
[…]
Not shown is the new low-floor Stadler Variobahn (Bogestra version also limited to 70 km/h, there's faster versions of the same model).
Here it is – Variobahn for the tram Bochum and Gelsenkirchen:

fachportal.nahverkehr.nrw.de
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #73
JoKo65

At the beginning of this thread I have forgotten two types of Stadtbahn cars of the Rhine-Ruhr region, the P86 of Stadtbahn Essen and the Tango of Stadtbahn Bochum/Gelsenkirchen.

Here they are.

Essen P86 (ex London) at Essen Hbf.:

Station Saalbau – watch the three rail tracks, they are needed because Stadtbahn and tram use this tunnel:

railfaneurope.net

Bochum/Gelsenkirchen, the new Tango in use in Bochum:

wiki
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #74
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 53

In cities like Düsseldorf or Amsterdam, subway stations look very similar so you have to read the signs very carefully, or else you get off the train at the wrong station very easily.

But not so in the Ruhr Area, all stations are designed differently, so you can immediately recognise where you are when you look through the window. I really like that.

[IMG]http://i40.************/20pwps8.jpg[/IMG]
BO - Bochumer Verein / Jahrhunderthalle

[IMG]http://i44.************/21jx5ky.jpg[/IMG]
BO - Deutsches Bergbaumuseum

[IMG]http://i43.************/2wpkmqp.jpg[/IMG]
E - Berliner Platz

[IMG]http://i41.************/oivfbk.jpg[/IMG]
BO - Engelbertbrunnen / Bermudadreieck

[IMG]http://i43.************/dcs94.jpg[/IMG]
GE - König Heinrich Platz

[IMG]http://i43.************/mk9f6t.jpg[/IMG]
BO - Lohring

Source: self-made pictures
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #75
micro

Likes (Received): 76

A couple of photos from metrobits.org:

DORTMUND

Polizeipräsidium station, City of Dortmund, line U46.

BOCHUM

Lohring station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310.

Rathaus (Süd) station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310.

Rathaus (Süd) station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310. The illuminated walls change light through all the colours of the rainbow almost unnoticable.

Rathaus (Süd) station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310. Walls are made of pieces of glass.

Bochumer Verein station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310. Concourse.

Bochumer Verein station, City of Bochum, lines 302, 310. The walls change their colours here intelligently: Normally blue, red when a train approaches, white whilst a train is in the station.

Deutsches Bergbaumuseum station, City of Bochum, line U35.

GELSENKIRCHEN

Bergwerk Consolidation station, City of Gelsenkirchen, line 301.

ESSEN

Messe-Ost/Gruga station, City of Essen, line U11. Concourse level.

Messe-Ost/Gruga station, City of Essen, line U11.

Essen Hbf. station, City of Essen.

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Park station, City of Essen, lines U11, U17.

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Park station, City of Essen, lines U11, U17. Wall detail.

Altenessen Mitte station, City of Essen, lines U11, U17.

Altenessen Mitte station, City of Essen, lines U11, U17. Wall detail.

Karlsplatz station, City of Essen, lines U11, U17.

MUELHEIM

Mülheim Stadtmitte station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901.

Mülheim Stadtmitte station, City of Mülheim, line 102, 901.

Schloß Broich station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901. Entrance.

Schloß Broich station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901. Escalators.

Schloß Broich station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901. Elevator shaft.

Schloß Broich station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901.

Schloß Broich station, City of Mülheim, lines 102, 901.

OBERHAUSEN

Neue Mitte Oberhausen station, City of Oberhausen. Combined tram and bus station.

DUISBURG

Meiderich station, City of Duisburg, line U79.

Auf dem Damm station, City of Duisburg, line U79.

Duissern station, City of Duisburg, line U79. Concourse level.

Duissern station, City of Duisburg, line U79.

Duisburg Hbf. station, City of Duisburg.

DUESSELDORF

Düsseldorf International Airport station, Between the cities of Duisburg and Düsseldorf. Suspended people mover connects several airport terminals with two S-Bahn stations.

Oststraße station, City of Düsseldorf, lines U74-U79. Several older underground stations in Düsseldorf look like this.

Type B Train Interior station, This train running on line U79.

Oberbilker Markt station, City of Düsseldorf, lines U74, U77, U79. Several newer underground stations in Düsseldorf look like this.

Kaiserslauterner Straße station, City of Düsseldorf, lines U74, U77, U79.

WUPPERTAL

Zoo/Stadion station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Ohligsmühle station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Kluse station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Landgericht station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Train over the River station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail). Opposite Loher Brücke station.

Loher Brücke station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Werther Brücke station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Werther Brücke station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Oberbarmen station, City of Wuppertal, line 60 (suspended monorail).

Source: metrobits.org

|

Last edited by micro; May 19th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #76
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 361

I always hate when they put trams into tunnels, they look a lot better on a "road" setting.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #77
Filip7370
Modern transit...

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
I always hate when they put trams into tunnels, they look a lot better on a "road" setting.
Me too, can somebody put here, also photos of classical trams, buses. Is it possible to put here photos of system that do not exist now, like trolleys etc.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #78
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 293

Yeah great pics!
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #79
micro

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
I agree. Fortunately the Rhine-Ruhr system is very diverse and has wide metro-like lightrails as well as narrow little trams. What makes the few small trams somewhat dominant among the photos is the fact that they recently got a handful of architecturally very interesting stations in Bochum. But there are also many metro-like lines (U11, U18, U35, U45-U49, U79) with long, 2.65 m wide trains running mostly in tunnel sections, stopping at high platforms and only sometimes straying on roads. U35 has been a full underground metro line until a short road section was added:

Spectacular station, but only served by narrow-gauge tram lines 302, 310 (line numbers without a U):

|
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #80
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8261

Quote:
I actually quite like them underground - gives more space for pedestrians in the crowded inner city. It also allows them to preserve the streetscape better. There are of course other advantages such as the average speed of the vehicles. Even with traffic priority or partial segregation, the street sections are invariably slower than the tunnel sections.

The Stadtbahn systems in Germany tend to have quite long rolling stock sometimes making street running a little difficult - think of the systems as more of a "light metro" than a traditional tram.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote