daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #41
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post

What kind of barroc, roman, romanic, renaissance buildings are there in Barcelona? Barcelona is half gothic and half modern.

Hey people. Don't be rude with me.

Barcelona, euroean styles:

Roman:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Romanic:

Sant Pau del Camp:

image hosted on flickr

Sant Benet de Bages:

Sant Climent de Tall:

Renaissance

image hosted on flickr
guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #42
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

amsterdam
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #43
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille_89uy View Post
Just 2 romanic buildings don't make me say it's a "romanic city". The Ciutat vella is 90% gothic.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #44
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9700

Quote:
Nobody is rude with you, but you say "Barcelona is the most plural city in architecture styles" and this is far from true....

Barcelona is a very beautiful city but Paris is much more eclectic and stylish, New York (despite its short history) and London (despite the Blitz) also, etc...

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 19th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #45
guille_89uy
BANNED

Quote:
Just 2 romanic buildings don't make me say it's a "romanic city". The Ciutat vella is 90% gothic.

Is there any romanic buinding in the middle of Paris, London or Madrid?

Actually, the romanic, not just in Barcelona, all over Catalunya, is one of the most important and devoloped styles. The MNAC has the biggest collection of romanic art in the world.

Other styles, like Barroc, are not very present in Barcelona, it's true, but romanic, yes, of course.

Last edited by guille_89uy; May 19th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #46
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Is there any romanic buinding in the middle of Paris, London or Madrid?

Actually, the romanic, not just in Barcelona, all over Catalunya, is one of the most important and devoloped styles. The MNAC has the biggest collection of romanic art in the world.

Other styles, like Barroc, are not very present in Barcelona, it's true, but romanic, yes, of course.
I don't find Barcelona so various concerning ancient architectures, definitely better in modernist/modern one. I think there are many cities in Europe that are more diverse and have more interesting architectures.
In Paris there are some of the most beautiful gothic cathedrals, there is a renaissance district (Marais) with many of the most interesting palaces of that period, it's full of neoclassical churches ad modern arrondissement.
Rome has the biggest and most important archeological site of the world, it's full of Roman, byzantine, early Christian, medieval, renaissance and baroque buildings. In Rome worked some of the best architects of all time, like Michelangelo, Bramante, Leon Battista Alberti, Bernini, Borromini. The same in Florence. I think this 3 cities have the best architectures in Europe.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #47
guille_89uy
BANNED

"I don't find Barcelona so various concerning ancient architectures"

The old city of Barcelona, with it's 3 neibourhoods: Gotic, Born and Raval.

What people don't usally knows is that under the old city is where were find the roman ruins, Barcelona is FULL of roman ruins, but
underneath.

For example (up and dawn):

And this is the last discovery:

image hosted on flickr

Barcelona is not "better" in modernist/modern exemples. The true is that Barcelona were completly fortified untill the XIX century, so the "new" city, that is the majority, is predominantly modernist and new. Barcelona is the capital of modernism, that in itself it's extremely diverse and interesting, but in the other hand, the old city has a very rich patrimony in almost all european styles. In addition, the modern architecture is impressive too: starting from the Barcelona Paviolion (1929), considered "the most beautiful building of the century" (Weston, Richard (2004). Key Building of the Twentieth Century. W.W. Norton and Company), and the first modern building of the history.

There are other cities out of Paris, London or Rome, and people always looks with some indiference the rest of Europe. It's just not fair.

Last edited by guille_89uy; May 20th, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #48
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Is there any romanic buinding in the middle of Paris?
I'm sure now ! You don't know Paris very well! Although Paris area is the homeland of Gothic style: OF COURSE there is also Romanic buildings in the historic center of Paris, even several (and in the suburbs with a lot of abbeys and monasteries)!
Don't forget France has many romanesque/romanic churches and also the most famous romanesque abbeys (Mont st Michel, Cluny, Solem, Moissac...), because France was on the road of Compostela.

Even New York has a Romanesque Abbey: The Cloister (which was made with parts from 5 old french abbeys ) !

Paris and London are much more older than Madrid is, you should know it !

I already post a pic of an example of Romanic architecture in Paris, but apparently you didn't see it, more examples:

historic center:

St Germain des Prs

St Julien le Pauvre

Abbaye St Martin des Champs

Suburbs:

Saint Pierre et Saint Paul d'Orgeval

Notre Dame de Bougival

Notre Dame de Chatou

Pics from Romane.com & wiki.

PS: Louvre Museum has one of the largest collection from ancient Egypt, that isn't signify Egyptian Architecture/Pyramides are important in Paris, and we don't call Paris "Egyptian city".....

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 20th, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #49
guille_89uy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Paris and London are much more older than Madrid is, you should know it !
I'm talking about Barcelona and Catalunya if you want, as you talk about France, not about Madrid.
And i find a bit inconfortable this sort of comparation, but lets go...

Romanic here...

1- The biggest collection of romanic art in the National Museum of Catalonia.

2: Sant Climent d'en Tall:

Here you have a large list of romanic churches in Catalonia, i'm not gonna continue this:

http://www.romanicatala.com/Llista.html
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #50
Marco_
XXX

I thought this was a best places for studying architecture topic, not a best places for watchin architecture
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #51
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
I'm talking about Barcelona and Catalunya if you want, as you talk about France, not about Madrid.
That's not my point !
You said Barcelona is "the most plural city in architecture" and it's not true !

You asked if there is any romanic building in the center of Paris (or Madrid), I answered YES of course, unlike Madrid, but just like in the whole France (because you seem forget it) !

I've never said there is not this style in Barcelona/Catalunya....

Quote:
There are other cities out of Paris, London or Rome, and people always looks with some indiference the rest of Europe. It's just not fair.
From my point of view, Barcelona, where I've already been, is a very rich city for its architecture BUT saying it's the best..... and if people put London, Rome or Paris, on the top of the list there are some reasons !
That doesn't mean they/we are indifferent to the other cities......

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 20th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #52
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I'm sure now ! You don't know Paris very well!
Even New York has a Romanesque Abbey: The Cloister (which was made with parts from 5 old french abbeys ) !
I'm sure you don't know Catalonia very well, if you go to New York and visit the Cloister, there you can read: Sant Miquel de Cuix-Sant Michel de Cuxa. That was a catalan abbey, but now tis region is from France. You know history?

New York have Romanesque Abbey? The americans just buy parts of abbeys and build a fake one in north of Manhattan, like an object of a museum.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #53
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
I've been in Barcelona 2 times, nothing special, definitely one of the most overrated european cities. Not the best spanish city, Seville is much better!
You have a problem. Nothing special Barcelona? You are the first person that say such a strange thing. Maybe, when you came to my city, maybe we don't treat you very well, maybe you went to a bad hotel and to a bad restaurant, maybe you expected a lot of party and you don't found any girl.

I invite you another time to Barcelona. Make sure about carrying your glasses. You forgot it the last time.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #54
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
New York have Romanesque Abbey? The americans just buy parts of abbeys and build a fake one in north of Manhattan, like an object of a museum.
It was a joke..... Nothing more...
Do you think I though New York was built during medieval era !!

Quote:
You know history?
Do you know geography and political borders ?????

Because Saint-Michel de Cuxa is: IN FRANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (whether you like it or not)

About History, Remember it was based with the help of monks came from Cluny (a French Abbey) and Catalonia didn't exist yet, officially.. This abbey was Catalan then French (Saint-Victor de Marseille), then catalan... then still French!
If you want you can count the number of its Catalan years and its French ones...

I saw the Cloisters in NYC and, again, they were built with parts of five French abbey :

Saint-Michel de Cuxa
Saint-Guilhem
Bonnefont-en-Comminges
Trie-en-Bigorre
Froville

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 20th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #55
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
You have a problem. Nothing special Barcelona? You are the first person that say such a strange thing. Maybe, when you came to my city, maybe we don't treat you very well, maybe you went to a bad hotel and to a bad restaurant, maybe you expected a lot of party and you don't found any girl.

I invite you another time to Barcelona. Make sure about carrying your glasses. You forgot it the last time.
I stayed 1 week and I visited a big part of the city. I found it definitely nothing special. This could be strange for you, but this is my opinion, I love ancient architectures and I found Seville more interesting and beautiful. What I liked more in Barcelona are the Gaud houses and the Sagrada Familia. However, I don't think at all Barcelona is the capital of architecture, and I think so many people could agree with this my opinion.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #56
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3268

Quote:
You have a problem. Nothing special Barcelona?
Just ignore him he's always a bit negative about Barcelona.

Barcelona is the only city to have been awarded a RIBA for the city.

I don't think the city has the best architecture. No city has. But it does have a lot of outstanding architecture and centuries old alleys that are long gone in most big cities.

Some people prefer NY others Rome. But saying a city is nothing special is just provoking and a bit mindless. A city is the historic collection of the live of millions of people.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #57
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Just ignore him he's always a bit negative about Barcelona.
It's not a novelty that I don't like Barcelona. But why I should "have a problem"? This is my opinion, respect it.

Quote:
Barcelona is the only city to have been awarded a RIBA for the city.
And so? RIBA is not the Bible, and BCN wins that premium for its contemporary architecture projetcts in that year.
I don't need the opnion of RIBA members to say the best architects of all time worked in Rome and Florence.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #58
Ribarca

Quote:
It's not a novelty that I don't like Barcelona. But why I should "have a problem"? This is my opinion, respect it.
Anybody is entitled to an opinion. If it's not a novelty why tire everybody down so much then with the repetitions.

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #59
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Anybody is entitled to an opinion. If it's not a novelty why tire everybody down so much then with the repetitions.
I was only answering to a false assertion.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #60
Ribarca

Quote:
I was only answering to a false assertion.
Again that's your opinion. You tend to bring your opinion as a fact, a highly annoying trait.