daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM   #101
jonsa
jonsatrinxa

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
So funny Jonsa, very funny. Another madman, and besides he's spaniard.
xè espanyol i graciós ehh!!!??? si es que ja ho deia ma mare tu, has de fer teatre!

amb les zero argumentacions aportades per tu, i els insults gratuïts, per mi finalitza la polèmica, això si, fes-te un favor i creix..
barca nova i bon vent!
jonsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM   #102
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

No no no, aixó si que no, si hi ha una cosa que no aguanto es que despotriquis de Barcelona i després vagis de guay dient el que has dit en el tercer punt. No fotem home. Quin personatge, mare meva!
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM   #103
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Jajajaja... resulta que nomès hi ha arquitectura islamica a Espanya i que Andalucia és unica per aixo. Quina tonteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_architecture
guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:04 AM   #104
weird
vagamundo

Damn, stop arguing kids.
You are just ashaming Barcelona and the whole country. Don't be that egocentric, because Barcelona is great but it's not the Mecca of nothing. There are many important cities in the world so accept it and grow up.

Not all the people share the same criteria. Period.

Btw, speak in english because not all the people can understand you.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM   #105
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9684

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille_89uy View Post
That's not true.

The Bourbons were the first enemies of Barcelona and the bourbonic monarchy was instaured after the birth of Madrid.

Barcelona could never be the capital of Spain, this is absurd.
Not at all ! Barcelona could be the capital of an "Iberian Catalonia" but wasn't powerfull enough........

Whether you like it or not, you have a French dynasty in Spain !

Even if French Bourbons were the "first enemies" of Barcelona/Catalonia, remember France (during the Spanish civil war) was the first friend of Catalonia, tell me which other country helped the Catalans !!!!!!!

Quote:
Bueno... el modernismo catalán también es único en el mundo, mucho más prolifico y destacable......
Absolutely not !!!!

"El modernismo catalán es único en el mundo" (también o no) : Not at all, it isn't unique in the the world !!!

"mas prolifico": Please argue more because I want to see some examples !!!!

BTW I can write in my language too:

Tu devrais venir à Paris et tu verrais que Barcelone a repris, par exemple, le style Gothique ou Second Empire (qui sont français), alors que l'inverse n'est pas vrai (va aussi aux USA, en Allemagne ou encore en Grande Bretagne) !!!!!

Barcelone est une TRÈS BELLE VILLE, certes, mais absolument pas la capitale mondiale de l'architecture !
Quels styles architecturaux viennent de Catalogne (ou même d'Espagne) ?????

Paris surpasse Barcelone en tout !

Edit: Pour finir, arrêtez aussi de jouer aux victimes de l'oppression européenne (Français (Bourbon ou pas), Italiens, Castillans, Autrichiens...etc).
Si la pilule est si dure à avaler, estoy afligido para vos....

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 21st, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #106
guille_89uy
BANNED

"Please argue more because I want to see some examples !!!!"

2216 modernist buildings in Barcelona. Enought?

And catalan modernism is not the same than art nouveau. This is why I say it's unic in the world.

Paris it's an artificial city designed just to show how powerful was the french empire. All the buildings and streets projected by Haussmann are extremely homogeneous and uniform, there's no originality anywhere. There's no feelings, no emotion, you can't really apreciate art in the streets, you just can say "oh... how big and impressive is the Louvre, or the Eiffel Tower or Les Invalides..." But you really can't say "how beautiful is". I'ts so easy to undertsand that Paris, in the last times, were completly designed by the it's local governmanet like the simcity.
Paris is an impersonal city, it's just not human. Very impressive, yes, like Madrid, London or Moscou: COLD imperisalism, not beauty.

It's like disney world, it's not natural.

Rambla Catalunya:

It's so easy to say that Paris is better than Barcelona, but Paris was the capital of a big empire; Barcelona was nothing, just another mediterranean city, and all the modernist buildings were created by FAMILIES, it's natural, spontaneous, fresh, not artificial.

Last edited by guille_89uy; May 21st, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM   #107
guille_89uy
BANNED

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #108
guille_89uy
BANNED

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM   #109
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Bueno... el modernismo catalán también es único en el mundo, mucho más prolifico y destacable. Otro tanto para la Sagrada Familia.

El estilo árabe de Andalucia, por supuesto que está presente además de en otras ciudades españolas, en todos los países de la Liga Árabe y otros. Si que ens estimem els catalans!...
True, but the arab style of Andalucia is more ancient and (imho) more beautiful and artistically interesting.

Btw, best place for studying architecture: I think good Universities are everywhere. In Italy the best places to study architecture are Politecnico di Milano and Ferrara University.

Quote:
Only 4 or 5 of them are really architectonically and artistically interesting.

Last edited by Pincio; May 21st, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM   #110
guille_89uy
BANNED

¿?¿?¿?

Had you really visit Barcelona anytime?

I live in the middle of the Eixample and almost 70 % of buildings are old and "architectonically and artistically interesting".

Eixample Dret

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM   #111
guille_89uy
BANNED

Rambla Catalunya:

Rambla Catalunya y Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM   #112
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
¿?¿?¿?

Had you really visit Barcelona anytime?

I live in the middle of the Eixample and almost 70 % of buildings are old and "architectonically and artistically interesting".
I mean, only 4 or 5 of them could be printed on an art & architecture book.

Btw: try to be helpful. What are the best university in Spain or France for studying architecture?
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM   #113
guille_89uy
BANNED

In Spain, Universitat de Barcelona, i supose, because is the only spanish university in the QS World University Rankings 2006.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #114
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3265

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Not at all ! Barcelona could be the capital of an "Iberian Catalonia" but wasn't powerfull enough........

Whether you like it or not, you have a French dynasty in Spain !

Even if French Bourbons were the "first enemies" of Barcelona/Catalonia, remember France (during the Spanish civil war) was the first friend of Catalonia, tell me which other country helped the Catalans !!!!!!!

Barcelone est une TRÈS BELLE VILLE, certes, mais absolument pas la capitale mondiale de l'architecture !
Quels styles architecturaux viennent de Catalogne (ou même d'Espagne) ?????

Paris surpasse Barcelone en tout !

[/B]
It's saddening that you seem to have such superiority complex. This thread was not supposed to become a city vs city thread and you keep on flooding it with pictures of your perceived superior city.

In your view architecture is all derived from the French (referring to your thread and your comments). Architecture is obviously evolving and the evolution goes back and forth between time and culture. Also the Spanish legacy of architecture due to Colonial influence can hardly be surpassed not even by the mighty French.

Finally, the French sold out on the Catalans and back stabbed Catalunya throughout history....

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; May 21st, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM   #115
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

There's not really the best place to study architecture.
There are several good and/or important, well known, well respected places.
But which place is best for you, also depends on yourself and what you want, where you're planing to work and live.

If you're interested in technical buildings like foorballstadia, bridges highrises you might want to prefer studying at a technical university or a university with a good engineering facilities, to benefit from the interdisciplinary effects.
When you're interested in classical buildings you might prefer a place which is more focused on the Arts. And then it should be a country culture you like, you can identify yourself with also or feel comfortable with also. It should ideally also be a city you like and then of course you should try finding a place where the way of teaching is one you get along with. studying in germany for example is quite different from studying in the US..
Lot's of aspects to keep in mind.

The "best" places the most respected might not necessarily be all too good for someone who isn't all to great in his studies and has a hard time passing exams. Someone like that might study far more sucessfull in a smaller, less known place. And when you're interested in some specialized fields you might prefer going to a place where that special field has good professors, research or sucesses. designing highrises or bridges, stadiums... is different from building appartement houses or renovating old churches and castles.
And depending on your personal field of interest, several different places would be the optimal choice.
Alemanniafan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #116
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57855

^ Finally a good & objective post in this topic

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM   #117
tq
i'm a hanoian

Likes (Received): 176

these are my favourites.

AA London
ETH Zuerich
RWTH Aachen
TU Braunschweig
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM   #118
Jocluis

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
There's not really the best place to study architecture.
There are several good and/or important, well known, well respected places.
But which place is best for you, also depends on yourself and what you want, where you're planing to work and live.

If you're interested in technical buildings like foorballstadia, bridges highrises you might want to prefer studying at a technical university or a university with a good engineering facilities, to benefit from the interdisciplinary effects.
When you're interested in classical buildings you might prefer a place which is more focused on the Arts. And then it should be a country culture you like, you can identify yourself with also or feel comfortable with also. It should ideally also be a city you like and then of course you should try finding a place where the way of teaching is one you get along with. studying in germany for example is quite different from studying in the US..
Lot's of aspects to keep in mind.

The "best" places the most respected might not necessarily be all too good for someone who isn't all to great in his studies and has a hard time passing exams. Someone like that might study far more sucessfull in a smaller, less known place. And when you're interested in some specialized fields you might prefer going to a place where that special field has good professors, research or sucesses. designing highrises or bridges, stadiums... is different from building appartement houses or renovating old churches and castles.
And depending on your personal field of interest, several different places would be the optimal choice.
i did like that analysis...!!!
this thread was not mean to be a multicultural battle...or city vs city battle
all cities you guys show are great....lot of history and lot of architecture....
thankyou for the few recommendations
Jocluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #119
JohnnyCrash

Likes (Received): 13

hi,

this thread is such a mess ! I love Barcelona and Paris, and of course the french are arrogant, that´s why we love´em !

Two good places to study architecture:

Munich:

http://www.ar.tum.de/en/aktuell/

Vienna:

http://www.dieangewandte.at/jart/prj...ve-mode=active

They´re quite different, because the tu munich offers a rather technical education in contrast to the university in vienna, which is actually an arts school!

At least in vienna, it´s quite difficult to apply since you have to pass a four-day examination. I don´t know about the studying fees, as it´s a private university!

greets
JohnnyCrash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #120
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9684

Quote:
"Please argue more because I want to see some examples !!!!"
2216 modernist buildings in Barcelona. Enought?
And catalan modernism is not the same than art nouveau. This is why I say it's unic in the world.
Impressive number indeed (I think I couldn't see them all during the 4 or 5 times where I've been in Barcelona) !!

But you know, Paris Art-Nouveau is also unique and remarkable (with Hector Guimard, for example) !!
That's why some cities in the world have Paris Art-Nouveau Métro entrances (Montreal, Lisbon, Chicago, Moscow, Mexico City)

Quote:
It's so easy to say that Paris is better than Barcelona, but Paris was the capital of a big empire; Barcelona was nothing, just another mediterranean city, and all the modernist buildings were created by FAMILIES, it's natural, spontaneous, fresh, not artificial.
1- I have never said "better" which is very subjective.. I've said more "plural" (better on this point if you prefer)....

2- You don't know Paris history, there are many many buildings and "Hôtels Particuliers" built by french families, the same for its Art-Nouveau/modernist buildings and Hôtels Particuliers, the authorities had nothing to do with these constructions (Paris isn't simply its national monuments)........

Quote:
All the buildings and streets projected by Haussmann are extremely homogeneous and uniform, there's no originality anywhere. There's no feelings, no emotion, you can't really apreciate art in the streets
If the Second Empire style is so boring, then tell me why it was copied in the whole Europe and world, even in Barcelona (besides you posted some examples in your pics) !!!
Tell me which catalan style, even Spanish, have had influence in France ????

Quote:
You just can say "oh... how big and impressive is the Louvre, or the Eiffel Tower or Les Invalides..." But you really can't say "how beautiful is".
This is subjective (and only your opinion) !!

Anyway were are not talking about beauty, but about diversity...
Do you think the Sagrada Familia is beautiful (especially its planned final design) ??????

About the subjective beauty, it's hard to say that Notre-Dame Cathedral or the Sainte Chapelle, Le Marais quarter or again Montmatre area (not the Basilica which I find very ugly)... are not beautiful ???

Quote:
Paris it's an artificial city designed just to show how powerful was the french empire.
Quote:
I'ts so easy to undertsand that Paris, in the last times, were completly designed by the it's local governmanet like the simcity.
Paris is an impersonal city, it's just not human. Very impressive, yes, like Madrid, London or Moscou: COLD imperisalism, not beauty.
1-Then tell me why so many people from every parts of the world comes to Paris (for tourism or for live there), do you think they come for its "impersonal COLD imperialism" style ??

2-Anyway, this is your opinion and you have the right to think that, but about the way of Paris was built this is not true !!

3-Paris isn't only Haussmann or second empire style !!!
Remember, French renaissance (Le Marais, for example), French neoclassicism (17th and 18th centuries: Place de la concorde, Invalides, copied in other cities...), medieval houses/buildings, Gothic Churches and houses, Art deco buildings, La Défense skyscrapers.......

4-Paris is not only its historic and touristic center...

5-During centuries France havn't had any empire, A big kingdom maybe, but nothing more !

6-Telling Paris is like SimCity or entirely designed by the national or local authorities (which is true for some Boulevards but absolutely not for the whole city)... You should take a look at a map of Barcelona and at what was done during its "Eixample/ensanche" with its "quadras": This is much more SimCity !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote