daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #121
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
It's saddening that you seem to have such superiority complex. This thread was not supposed to become a city vs city thread and you keep on flooding it with pictures of your perceived superior city.

In your view architecture is all derived from the French (referring to your thread and your comments).
Never said "all"... Italian, Greek, Flemish, British architectures, for example, have had also influence in the rest of the world.. And USA one during the 20th century !
But as an arrogant French, I have to recall that Parisian and French architecture have had an influence in many cities in the world, this is a fact even if you don't like that !!!

"My" thread is largely about "Second Empire" style (which I love), and if this style is named in memory of this period of French history, that's because IT IS French !!!! Same for Beaux-Art style...
Gothic is also French and was firstly named "French style"...
Remember also Versailles was copied in the whole Europe !

example:

Germany---------------------------------------------------France


Germany---------------------------------------------------France



So this is not about having a superiority complex.......because this is the truth !!

Many cities/architects had been inspired by these styles, because they liked them, unlike you, apparently !!

Besides there are other threads in this forum in tribute of the French Architecure/Styles in the world, and they weren't made by French members:

LIMA AL ESTILO FRANCÉS

El paradigma francés en la arquitectura

Estilo francés en Latinoamerica

But when a French makes this kind of thread, of course he's called Arrogant or "with a superiority complex"

Quote:
Architecture is obviously evolving and the evolution goes back and forth between time and culture.
Of course, and I've never said it was not true...


--------------------------------------------------------------------

For being in the topic, I can say there are 7 colleges/schools of Architecure in Paris (including the one where I studied) !
6 are publics (and relatively equals), 1 is private and gives another kind of diploma.

Architecture colleges in France

According to me Paris-Belleville is the best (despite I didn't studied there)...
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #122
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrash View Post
I love Barcelona and Paris, and of course the french are arrogant, that´s why we love´em
It's not arrogance, they are proud about their history. And I think there's a lot of reason to be proud of France, and expecially Paris.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM   #123
JohnnyCrash
Registered User
 
JohnnyCrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
It's not arrogance, they are proud about their history. And I think there's a lot of reason to be proud of France, and expecially Paris.
Oh man, don´t take it too seriously, of course, France is a great country and influenced the architecture of many countries in europe.
JohnnyCrash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #124
_Barca_
Registered User
 
_Barca_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 73

I love this thread.

First, no city is the mecca of the architecture, true, but there are cities that are the mecca or the capital of some styles. Paris is the capital of many styles like beaux-arts or the "blue roof" style, like London is the capital of the Victorian style or Barcelona the capital of the Modernism. You can not discuss this. I love Paris, but I don't think that it's the most plural of styles. It doesn't matter, Paris is Paris, and I love it, it's not necessary be the most plural to be one of the greatest.

The Art-Nouveau and the Modernism... you have to differ it. And for example, I can't say that Barcelona is the most plural of styles because it's not. In Barcelona there are probably art-decó buildings but only 4 or 5, that's not enough to say that Barcelona it's most plural because we have Art-Decó style because we only have a few buildings. You say that Paris it's the mos plural because you show one example of each style, it's not enough, I think.

You have underestimated Barcelona, we lack styles, certainly, for example the neoclassicism or the fovourite of Pincio, the renacentist. We don't have a lot of these styles but we don't miss it either. We have a lot of gothic buildings, romanesque, modernist clearly, rationalists, international style... We are one of the most plural , as Paris, but not the most, and I don't believe that such a city exists.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM   #125
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
I love this thread.
The Art-Nouveau and the Modernism... you have to differ it.
True, but both exist in Paris... (BTW the difference is not so clear)

Quote:
You say that Paris it's the mos plural because you show one example of each style, it's not enough, I think.
As you say, It was "examples" but absolutely not an exhaustive list !!!
I'm not going to show you ALL examples, of course......I don't know all constructions of Paris !

If you wan't some other examples (certainly not exhaustive too) of Art-Déco, Art-Nouveau & Modernist buildings, and also many other styles in Paris, you can see some in these threads :

Paris: Art-Déco

Art-Nouveau à Paris

Les années 30 à Paris

La belle époque (especially post #2)

Eclectismes parisiens

This one is Great because it shows the large diversity of Paris (without its monuments), day by day and from pedestrian view. We can see simply the streets and buildings and for me, this thread is the best evidence of the non-artificial side of Paris:
Paris...my city

About Renaissance, Second Empire, Neoclassicism/Rationalism, International Style, Mansard-Roofs (which is not only about the colour of the roofs), Gothic of course, Medieval, Romanesque, Baroque and skyscrapers, I think I don't need to show you examples anymore ...

Quote:
You have underestimated Barcelona...
No, I haven't, but when I read Barcelona "the most plural city" of the Galaxy.....
I need to answer it is not true, and especially if you compare it to Paris.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #126
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
You have underestimated Barcelona, we lack styles, certainly, for example the neoclassicism or the fovourite of Pincio, the renacentist.
Who said this? I don't have a favourite style, I like good architectures. I only don't like neoclassicism.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #127
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
No, I haven't, but when I read Barcelona "the most plural city" of the Galaxy.....
I need to answer it is not true, and especially if you compare it to Paris.
I think Paris and Rome are the 2 most diverse cities in Europe (and probably in the world).

Here's a summary of the best examples of all Rome's architectonical styles:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=442

Except gothic, in Rome there are great examples and masterpieces of all architectonical periods. This is why this city is called the Eternal City, and it's obviously one of the capitals of architecture. Most important architects that worked in Rome are Bramante, Michelangelo, Antonio da Sangallo, Leon Battista Alberti, Maderno, Bernini, Borromini.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #128
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Cities like Rome and Paris might be the most plural in a classical sense. Paris obviously has many modern monuments as well. Rome is obviously not famous for its modernity. There's not event a decent metro in the city.

Both cities have a bit of a sleepy image. They are not the most happening cities for sure. Cities like Berlin or Barcelona attract more people with a non-conformist life style. They are a bit more edgy and therefore more attractive for creative poeple.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; May 23rd, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM   #129
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Cities like Rome and Paris might be the most plural in a classical sense. Paris obviously has many modern monuments as well. Rome is obviously not famous for its modernity. There's not event a decent metro in the city.

Both cities have a bit of a sleepy image. They are not the most happening cities for sure. Cities like Berlin or Barcelona attract more people with a non-conformist life style. They are a bit more edgy and therefore more attractive for creative poeple.
It depends on what you mean for "modern architectures". If modern architecture embraces also the first half of 20th century, Rome has many great modern architectures. If you refers to 21th century architectures, Rome has certainly a minor number of modern architectures. Rome appears less modern than other european cities, of course, but this is a choice to preserve the historical aspect of the city. For years in Rome (and in Italy) talking about skyscrapers was taboo. Rome will never have 12 subway-lines, this is because its subsoil, rich in archaeological sites and catacumbas, and because the street in the historical centre are strait like alleys, full of historical architectures and protected against modern inserctions. Could you image a subway station in Pantheon Square, of Navona Square, or along Via Condotti? It's simply impossibile. In Italy, cities like Milan and Naples, have more subway lines than Rome. Btw I don't think that subway stastions are the best example of modern architecture
And architecture is not only the one Gaudì period to Calatrava
And about creative people: I assume you have a statistical study to affirm this opinion. Where's the reference?

Paris doesn't have modern architecture: this is a funny joke, isn't it?
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #130
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post

Paris doesn't have modern architecture: this is a funny joke, isn't it?
I never said this. Learn to read and quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Cities like Rome and Paris might be the most plural in a classical sense. Paris obviously has many modern monuments as well. Rome is obviously not famous for its modernity. There's not event a decent metro in the city.
Subway stations are part of city's architecture very much so. As much as buildings.They are often a sign of modernity and progress. The one line Rome does have is widely considered one of the worst in Europe.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #131
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I never said this. Learn to read and quote.
Yes, you said Paris obviously has many modern monuments as well.

But also

Cities like Rome and Paris might be the most plural in a classical sense. Both cities have a bit of a sleepy image. They are not the most happening cities for sure.

I have to admitt Barcelona is more attractive for creative people for its nightlife and discoes than for its modern architectures.

Talking about architecture, I think it's better if you stop here. We are OT, and it's seems you are defending an indefendible thesis. There are no Capitals of architecture, and even if there were a Capital, this surely not Barcelona.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #132
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Talking about architecture, I think it's better if you stop here. We are OT, and it's seems you are defending an indefendible thesis. There are no Capitals of architecture, and even if there were a Capital, this surely not Barcelona.
Again I never claimed so. Please quote instead of putting words in one's mouth.

I said it was a good city for studying. I never claimed it was the best. I hate those kind of qualifications. Only you and your Friench friend make such qualifications in each post. I'm just trying to temper that.

You have inspired me to make a BCN architecture thread.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #133
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I never said this. Learn to read and quote.



Subway stations are part of city's architecture very much so. As much as buildings.They are often a sign of modernity and progress. The one line Rome does have is widely considered one of the worst in Europe.
2 lines, and 2 in construction. Are you sure you know Rome?
Lines 1 and 2 are now being restyled, but quite slowly because it's a very big problem to close stations of the only 2 lines Rome has for working of modernization.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/4...e93136f7_m.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/11...88fc8815_m.jpg

Btw, I don't go to visit a city for seeing its subways

Last edited by Pincio; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #134
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
2 lines, and 2 in construction. Are you sure you know Rome?
Lines 1 and 2 are now being restyled, but quite slowly because it's a very big problem to close stations of the only 2 lines Rome has for working of modernization.
Btw, I don't go to visit a city for seeing its subways
You should.

But forget it. You can't have a proper discussion with you. You make false claims about what I have said and if it gets to a proper discussion you divert it by making a detour.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #135
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
You should
In Moscow certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
You make false claims about what I have said and if it gets to a proper discussion you divert it by making a detour.
Guille89 said it. I only said it's seems you are defending an indefendible thesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
You can't have a proper discussion with you.
It could be possible if I was in front of a mirror.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #136
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Guille89 said it. I only said it's seems you are defending an indefendible thesis.
Again I have never defended such a thesis. Use the QUOTE button.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #137
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Again I have never defended such a thesis. Use the QUOTE button.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=36

And then:

Quote:
Both cities have a bit of a sleepy image.
You are talking about the second (Paris) and the third (Rome) most visited european cities.
And the first is London.

Quote:
Cities like Berlin or Barcelona attract more people with a non-conformist life style. They are a bit more edgy and therefore more attractive for creative poeple.
Still your opinion, where's the source?

Last edited by Pincio; May 23rd, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #138
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Reading comprehension.
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #139
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Reading comprehension.
Few cities of the size of Barcelona still have a full medieval quarter standing.

Many city in Europe have a full medieval quarter standing.

Few cities can match the gothic heritage.

For example Paris, the city we were talking about.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #140
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,605
Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Few cities of the size of Barcelona still have a full medieval quarter standing.

Many city in Europe have a full medieval quarter standing.

Few cities can match the gothic heritage.

For example Paris, the city we were talking about.
Not many world cities... Which have the size of Barcelona....

I said few didn't I. Few meaning just a couple....
__________________
Drive away these people, Who are so conceited and so contemptuous.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu