daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #161
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

Good job Ribarca! who's Enric Miralles? sounds from Catalunya, but I never heard of him.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #162
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by (fabrizio) View Post
Good job Ribarca! who's Enric Miralles? sounds from Catalunya, but I never heard of him.
Unfortunately he died very young. He had a firm with his Italian wife.
http://www.mirallestagliabue.com/

His wife is continuining the business. Benedetta Tagliabue was born in Milan and graduated from the University of Venice

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #163
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

aren't we talking about architectural schools here? a city with great buildings and architectural/cultural heritage does not necessarily equate good places to study architecture. yes you can argue there's a lot more to see and get inspirations from the city itself but these days you just fly there and that's what field trips are for!

regarding architectural schools, i agree with the earlier comments from one of the forumers. it really depends on what routes you would like to pursue. architectural schools can vary hugely - some more technical (combination with engineering), some more traditional (beaux-arts) and some more creative and proclaim themselves at the forefront of architectural debate.

say within the UK (which i personally would argue is one of the best countries to study architecture in the world), the Bartlett (UCL) and the AA are the creative powerhouses; the MAC (GSA), Sheffield are the more traditional ones while Cardiff and Bath tend to be more technical. they're all good schools so it really depends what you're after.

i personally don't know an awful lot about schools outside the UK. but there're also a few famous/good ones in the states: Cooper Union (equivalent of Bartlett in the states), MIT, Columbia... etc.

also, you have to be aware of the fact that some universities have really crap courses as well (the difference is extraordinarily huge) and they're more inclined to getting their students 'ticking the boxes' than trying to be creative and different which is what architecture should be about. there's no rigour at all.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #164
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

and not to forget that architecture is a very expensive course (and very bloody long course) to study so financing the course may affect you making the choice of which school you wanna go to!

say in the states, the best schools are mostly private ivy league schools and in the uk, the best schools are in the capital which is probably one of the most expensive cities to live in the world. schools like AA and Bartlett (esp AA) expect students to 'have money' to pay for long-haul trips, buy expensive printers, make pretty expensive models and so on!
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #165
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille_89uy View Post
Hey people. Don't be rude with me.

Barcelona, euroean styles:

Romanic:

Sant Pau del Camp:

image hosted on flickr

Sant Benet de Bages:

Sant Climent de Taüll:

are you kidding me?¿?¿? San Benet del Bages is in a town 60km away from Barcelona and san Climent de Taül is not even in Barcelona province (it's in the pyrinees almost bordering with Aragón and 165-170km away from Barcelona)
willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #166
willo
Me&Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
You guys are def. overrating Barcelona in its meaning and university quality. There's way better stuff throughout Europe.
exactly. Barcelona has great architecture to see but its architecture colleges are not even the best in Spain which are in Madrid and Valencia
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #167
willo
Me&Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
Paris, London or Rome were the capitals of their own empires. Barcelona was never the capitol of an own empire. The Kingdom wich Barcelona belonged, Spain, ill-treated Barcelona and bombarded it several times. And for example, Spain prohibited business between Catalonia and America, after the discovery of the new continent. The unique region of all Spain that was banned of trading with America.

So Barcelona has much more merit.
obviously you never passed History. Spain never ill-treated Barcelona (the other way around.read something about spanish protectionism to favou catalan and basque industries in the XIX century).Barcelona was bombarded during the civil war the same as many other cities (like Madrid for example)

Cataluña was not the only region that was banned of trading with America. In fact, Seville had the monopoly. there were a lot of reasons for that but the most important of them was that the conquest of America was made and paid by castillians. the crown of Aragón had nothing to do with Americas conquest. Even with that the only castillian port that was able to trade with americas was Seville,as i said, for a lot of decades

Quote:
That's not true.

The Bourbons were the first enemies of Barcelona and the bourbonic monarchy was instaured after the birth of Madrid.

another false statement
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #168
Ribarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo View Post
obviously you never passed History. Spain never ill-treated Barcelona (the other way around.read something about spanish protectionism to favou catalan and basque industries in the XIX century).

The Catalans sided against the Bourbons but obviously lost in the end.

The Nueva Planta decrees hit all those areas that were formerly part of the Crown of Aragon.

Spain tore down a part of the old town of Barcelona to keep the people in Barcelona at bay. The hated Ciutudella. The city was not even allowed to expand beyond it walls until much later.

The same later goes for the Fort of Montjuic which could be used at all time not to protect the city but to attack it if needed.

The Catalan industry was never favored. The Catalans were just miles ahead of the rest of the Iberian peninsula in the 19th century. If anything Franco abused it to bring in people from all over Spain to dilute the Catalan identity.

Last edited by Ribarca; June 9th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #169
Ribarca

For the Romanic example Guille_89uy could better have chosen something within Barcelona, e.g. Sant Cugat.

image hosted on flickr

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #170
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo View Post
exactly. Barcelona has great architecture to see but its architecture colleges are not even the best in Spain which are in Madrid and Valencia
Univeritat de Barcelona is the only spanish one in THES – QS World University Rankings 2006 .

(We were talking about ramanic all around France and Catalonia -not just Paris or Barcelona-, so read all the text. And the paint i showed of Sant Climent de Taüll is in the National Museum of Art of Catalonia, that has the biggest romanic collection of the world.)
guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #171
willo
Me&Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post

The Catalans sided against the Bourbons but obviously lost in the end.

The Nueva Planta decrees hit all those areas that were formerly part of the Crown of Aragon.
that was something between bourbons and the crown of aragón not Spain as a country against Cataluña. The crown of Aragón sided in favour of Austrian Archiduke and he lost so the Nueva planta decrees were something very normal (if revenge can be called normal). on the other way the bourbons respected the ''fueros'' of Navarra, Álava,Guipúzcoa and Vizcaya, which sided in favour of the Bourbons

Anyway Cataluña wasn't the most affected place by Nueva Panta decrees.That was Valencia and then Aragón.Mallorca was probably the least affected place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post

The Catalan industry was never favored. The Catalans were just miles ahead of the rest of the Iberian peninsula in the 19th century. If anything Franco abused it to bring in people from all over Spain to dilute the Catalan identity.
not true at all. catalan,basque and asturian industries were larguely favoured and protected by our goverments during XIX century.the catalan and asturians industries were no competitive at all compared to their british counterparts.Search about it at google or read some books

Last edited by willo; June 9th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #172
willo
Me&Me

Quote:
Univeritat de Barcelona is the only spanish one in THES – QS World University Rankings 2006 .
many of those rankings are useless. you have to look at their criterions. Anyway that's not a ranking for architecture schools, just universities in general.
you can see another of these ranking here

http://www.webometrics.info/top500_europe_es.asp

here's another ranking very well known in Spain where you can see they rank Politécnica de Madrid as the best university for achitecture in Spain. ''Politecnica de Catalunya'' is second and ''Politecnica de Valencia'' third.

http://www.elmundo.es/especiales/200...arreras/2.html
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #173
closebys

Likes (Received): 0

Architecture !!?

Hi Friends,

I am considering doing a degree in architecture, can any one tell me if I am guaranteed work after I graduate, and what is the job like? What hours or shifts will I be looking to work with, what does the work consist of and is it easy to work for my self soon after I finish my degree and have established my self?

Preferably people who work as an architect or have some sort of background knowledge! Thanks soo much
closebys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #174
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 461

I would definately choose barcelona or ny. Walking around those cities, is also very estimulating in your career.

But, your future does not depends on where you study, or the name of the institute in you diploma.

Most of the contemporary important architects, studied in their locals institutes, like Cesar Pelli, or Zaha Hadid.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #175
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by closebys View Post
Hi Friends,

I am considering doing a degree in architecture, can any one tell me if I am guaranteed work after I graduate, and what is the job like? What hours or shifts will I be looking to work with, what does the work consist of and is it easy to work for my self soon after I finish my degree and have established my self?

Preferably people who work as an architect or have some sort of background knowledge! Thanks soo much

Architecture can be a tough business. There is no guarantee of work once you leave school so the best advice is to make your own chances by focusing on classwork and making the most of the time you spend studying. If an internship is available, take it and get to know the business. It's all about connections: that's how you find work, that's how you get work. Be in it for the long run. Buildings are more complicated than ever and the best architects peak later in life so don't expect much earlier on. As you advance in school, you'll get a taste of the hours. They are very long and all-nighters are common. Expect to work in someone else's shop for some time before you're ready to go it alone. The more ambitious you are the longer you need to stay in a firm learning every aspect of the business. If you leave too soon, you may just get houses and smaller jobs. Lastly, timing is everything. When the economy is slow like it is now, that's when you should be in school or at a firm learning the trade. That way, when you get out, hopefully there will be more work than you can handle.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #176
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57896

Wanna study for free? Here's how:

How students get a university degree
for free in Germany

While the cost of college education in the US has reached record highs, Germany has abandoned tuition fees altogether for German and international students alike. An increasing number of Americans are taking advantage and saving tens of thousands of dollars to get their degrees. | BBC

url

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

mrsmartman liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #177
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57896

Btw, there's thousands of English-language study courses and international programmes in Germany, including architecture/urbanism courses. Here's an overview: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stud...l-programs/en/

But as everywhere outside the anglophone world, it's of course beneficial to learn phrases in the local language and develop some basic understanding. In the big cities/metropolises as well as university towns (Greifswald, Heidelberg, Jena, Tübingen etc.) you can perfectly get along with English, though.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #178
Lolaz

Likes (Received): 3

cool the image!
Lolaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote