daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Piecing together the world's longest skygarden

The [email protected] is a 50-storey residential development in Singapore.

The design comprises 7 blocks linked together by a series of skybridges on the 50th and 26th floors, to form a continuous skygarden that also features recreational amenities like a jogging track.

The structure could be ready by the end of 2009 and recently, skybridges were starting to be put into place, with some of the bridges reportedly weighing as much as a Boeing 747.

Here are some pics taken from the Singapore forum, credits to maxxum, OpenH2O and babystan03.

The model

Fairly recent pics showing that the towers have practically reached full height.

Click here for more updates: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=161688
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Recent pictures of the skybridge installation

Old May 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #3
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

Exciting stuff! I really like this.

Sadly, however, I don't think those skygardens would be much good for a football match...
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

fantastic
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Awesome!! Can't wait to see it completed.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57854

The skygardens are a good idea, but those uniform, ugly towers

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I agree. It is an ugly design. And they are too close together.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Progress pics by maxxum and OpenH20

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #9
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Recent pic by Lifestyle-1881

Old November 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #10
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

The skygarden is cool but the towers are so ugly...
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #11
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Witnessing An Engineering Marvel

http://houseword.sg/newsletter/20090...ing_marvel.php

With the final bridge successfully lifted in place, HDB makes engineering history with what is possibly the longest continuous sky bridge garden in the world.

The lifting of the final sky bridge was gradual. It took about four hours to reach the 26th floor where it was firmly secured to the buildings using a proven and well tested joint system.

With this final piece in place, HDB’s engineering feat in building 12 sky bridges that interlink seven 50-storey high residential blocks at the 26th and 50th storey has created possibly a world first - the longest, continuous sky bridge garden in the world!

With a sense of wonderment, Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan noted that The [email protected] project held many “firsts”. “Duxton is where HDB built its first two blocks in the area …the first public housing project arising from an international design competition…the first 50-storey public housing development…and the first of its kind in the world with skybridges linking seven 50-storey highrise buildings.”

It is no wonder then that The [email protected] caught the imagination of the public when its design was first unveiled. With bay windows, planters and balconies, and these marvelous sky bridges, living in these towering apartment blocks in the city would provide an unrivalled experience.

Engineering Feat

Launched by Mr Mah, the lifting was expertly supervised by HDB officers on 2 September 2009.

With the experience of lifting the other 11 sky bridges at The [email protected] in hand, it was a cinch for the people involved. Nonetheless, it is no mean feat translating an award-winning design on paper to its final physical form.

These bridges are made of steel with a concrete slab on top. The length of the bridges varies, with the longest spanning 48 metres, and weighing 327 tonnes, which is almost close to the weight of a Boeing 747 aircraft. The width and height of the bridges are 20 metres and 3.9 metres respectively.

Explaining how HDB designed, fabricated and lifted these massive bridges, Deputy Director (Engineering Services), Building and Infrastructure Department of HDB, Er Lawrence Pak Yew Hock said meticulous attention to detail ensured that they could withstand wind forces in all directions and remain strong and stable in the face of wind pressure and vibrations at that high altitude.

“Because of their size, they had to be pre-fabricated in sections and assembled on site. To lift them up from the ground, four hydraulic operated strand jacks supported by jacking frames positioned on the rooftop of the buildings were used to do the job.”

“As these link bridges form part of the outdoor sky garden to be equipped with amenities for recreational purposes, it was important that they provide a strong and stable platform for jogging, running and other such health and recreational activities,” he added.

The [email protected]’s seven towering blocks comprising 1,848 flats will be completed by December 2009. Residents can look forward to a whole new experience of living in the tallest public housing development in Singapore, one that also enjoys a prime city location, on a site filled with history and nostalgia but within easy reach of modern facilities – what more could one ask for?
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 61

Great skygardens but the most ugly towers I've ever seen!! Reminds me of those wallscrapers in Hong Kong. Takes away the whole sight and sunlight. Just 1 concrete wall, the must ugly thing there is for me in architecture.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #13
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

HIDEOUS towers , but its an absolutely fantastic idea, like a whole new ground level! it should be alot safer then on the ground, too
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #14
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Uniform towers are not the problem (they beat the twisty messed up towers), these are just poorly designed uniform towers!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #15
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post
Great skygardens but the most ugly towers I've ever seen!! Reminds me of those wallscrapers in Hong Kong. Takes away the whole sight and sunlight. Just 1 concrete wall, the must ugly thing there is for me in architecture.
The 7 blocks are arranged in an almost linear configuration. In my opinion, this optimises views for the residents and access to air and sunlight. A wall effect would be to have a massive block facing directly into another.

Anyway the project is nearing completion and the skygarden will be open to the public to enjoy the views.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #16
RafflesCity
By Spirit