search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Oklahoma City unveils its proposed streetcar system

The project is a proposed $100 million downtown street, funded by Maps 3, that will be at least 5 miles of downtown streetcar forming a U-shape, starting in the historic neighborhoods NW of downtown, then cutting through the downtown neighborhoods and making a U-turn in the C2S impact area, and then going back up through the Bricktown area and all the way up Lincoln Blvd to the State Capitol complex. The streetcar will be powered by renewable wind energy generated in the western part of the State. Also included is a proposed $40 million conversion of the bus system to run on Oklahoma-produced natural gas.

This is a map of the proposed route

It will take 3 years to get the streetcar system running, according to the new website launched today for the MTP project.

This is a chart of how OKC compares to other NBA cities.
http://www.mtpokc.com/comparison.html

Pretty cool!
http://www.mtpokc.com/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 127

definitely a good start! My dreams for OKC are to see light rail (elevated) on the NW expressway then follow Penn south to Virginia to Linwood and tie into the street car system.
I'd like to to rail extend to the south metro and to WRWA and a bunch of other areas.
OKC has so many corridors that could benefit from rail. I don't know where to start

Last edited by ScraperDude; May 13th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Universal Soulja
~Friend of the People~

Likes (Received): 4

Looks good looks real good

now how does OKC make a light rail but KC still wants to live in the Dark ages
(((THE LaST SHaLL Be F1rst)))
Universal Soulja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #4
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

OKC has not 'make a light rail' its just a study/proposal that every city its size has done at some point. Chances of it actually becoming reality are very, very low.
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #5
SRG

LOL @ Cashville

P.S. This proposal is the result of taking into account the $800,000 Fixed Guideway Study commissioned by COTPA that was finished in 2007.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #6
ColorCrimson

Likes (Received): 0

I always look forward to reading cashvilles valuable opinions on Oklahoma City. He's so spot on!
ColorCrimson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #7
SRG

Insightful..almost like he's been here.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #8
shane453

Likes (Received): 3

Technically, it's a campaign that includes a proposal. The Modern Transit Project is intended to increase support for the transit improvements like Streetcar and CNG bus that will very likely be included in an upcoming public vote. However, from what I can tell, MTP is not directly affiliated with the City of OKC (yet).
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #9
SRG

We all know that this will be a part of the vote coming up in December I think, but I think this is an Urban Neighbors thing right now. Jeff Bezdek has talked a lot with Mayor Mick and has gotten a lot of the information being discussed that will be the likely ramifications of the project. Something like this is so professionally done that it could easily transition to an official capacity. I think it's a great resource, and a great idea for him to start now in advocating this project.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #10
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 41

It seems efficient and appears to be a nice spur for a city that is lacking in general foot traffic. I hope it works. Although OKC isn't as big as it likes people to think it is, you have to give this city credit for pulling out all the stops to push that effort forward. It's building a tall building, has added a NBA franchise to it's portfolio (compliments of New Orleans), is attempting to add density to neighborhoods close to Downtown, and has a very large footprint (Oklahoma City covers 622 square miles – more than Houston, Atlanta, or even New York City) to make it seem larger in population than it actually is--this isn't bad--you have to credit for the effort. If there is one thing we all can say from reading this forum---OKC wants everyone to realize that it wants to be known as a very large significant city if it already isn't. OKC---go for it. You have nothing to lose.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #11
SRG

I'll take that as (mostly) complimentary, semantics aside.

Last edited by SRG; May 14th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
SRG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #12
ein okc!
devonian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
It seems efficient and appears to be a nice spur for a city that is lacking in general foot traffic. I hope it works. Although OKC isn't as big as it likes people to think it is, you have to give this city credit for pulling out all the stops to push that effort forward. It's building a tall building, has added a NBA franchise to it's portfolio (compliments of New Orleans), is attempting to add density to neighborhoods close to Downtown, and has a very large footprint (Oklahoma City covers 622 square miles – more than Houston, Atlanta, or even New York City) to make it seem larger in population than it actually is--this isn't bad--you have to credit for the effort. If there is one thing we all can say from reading this forum---OKC wants everyone to realize that it wants to be known as a very large significant city if it already isn't. OKC---go for it. You have nothing to lose.
we're bigger than new orleans and memphis i'm pretty sure, that's got to account for something right? and btw a small portion of that huge geographic area accounts for okc's urban population--there's this concept of conservation that accounts for how more than half of the land is used.

i think it's more truthful to talk about okc's efforts in bolstering its reputation by actually bolstering its city..and not these proxy means you keep alluding to as if you know. ppl around here finally realized that each reform measure not taken advantage of could potentially be the boot that ppl like me need to finally get out of town and flock to where everyone else that's young and reckless goes.
ein okc! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Dank City
D.C.

Likes (Received): 19

Good to see such progressive measures taken in a city not seen as transit friendly. They're eventually gonna need a few more lines to go along with this one, but this is a huge step in the right direction!
Dank City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #14
SRG

OKC is a pretty progressive city, and trust me, people here are keenly aware of how horrible our transit is.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #15
Cashville
BANNED

There is absolutely nothing progressive about OKC. The city just looks at what other cities have done and tries to duplicate it in some way.

I would guess that 9 out of 10 cities OKCs size have already had these proposals and planned routes for some kind of non-bus mass transit. Just because they had one, or OKC currently has one doesnt mean they are progressive in any way.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #16
CzechM8

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
There is absolutely nothing progressive about OKC. The city just looks at what other cities have done and tries to duplicate it in some way.

I would guess that 9 out of 10 cities OKCs size have already had these proposals and planned routes for some kind of non-bus mass transit. Just because they had one, or OKC currently has one doesnt mean they are progressive in any way.
Damn, you really hate OKC huh?

Where's that coming from? Did OKC steal your lunch money? Kill your parents? Sleep with your wife?????
CzechM8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #17
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post

I don't think you understand that definition of progressive. I think the word you are describing is imagnative. Progressive moving forward and in this case, they are.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #18
shane453

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
has a very large footprint (Oklahoma City covers 622 square miles – more than Houston, Atlanta, or even New York City) to make it seem larger in population than it actually is--this isn't bad--you have to credit for the effort.
From what I've heard, this was not so much an effort to boost demographics as it was about capturing watershed (to ensure water supply) back in the 1950s and 60s. Obviously there is an economic incentive to have room to grow, though.

I've posted this before, but here's a link showing where people live in Oklahoma City: http://www.rezoneokc.com/blog/?p=27

It turns out that 500,000 people (out of 550,000 or whatever it is now) live within 190 square miles of that 622. Expanding the count area, 525,000 live within 240 square miles, so the other 380 square miles is sparsely populated with rural densities and open pastures. Little population is gained with that land, but it allows us to capture some of the suburban growth.

---

Anyway, the news on the transit business is that the mayor has released a statement saying that he wants MAPS 3 to have a significant portion dedicated to transit initiatives like this one.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #19
Cashville
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I don't think you understand that definition of progressive. I think the word you are describing is imagnative. Progressive moving forward and in this case, they are.
You are over simplifying things. By that logic every city in America can be considered progressive. Podunk, USA puts in a stop light, they must be progressive. Jim Bob Cooter from rural Tennessee buys some shoes, he must be progressive. When talking about cities its not that simple.

Just because you are progressing does not mean you are 'pretty progressive city' and any realistic person would not say that about OKC. Its a progressive city to be located in OK, but any big city in a rural state would be considered that. Fact is they have fallen behind a lot of cities because of their lack of progression over the decades.

Last edited by Cashville; May 15th, 2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #20
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 54

cashville, you've made your point...OKC sucks. you can move along now.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote