daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #21
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

beautiful set!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #22
Parte del mundo

Likes (Received): 20

Pics of Gran Via Ave? Id like to see streel level pictures of this commercial and financial area of Madrid.
Btw Thank you for the pics.
Parte del mundo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #23
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Stunning pictures.MOre, please.
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #24
JAVICUENCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
Madrid is so beautiful for its exquisite detail in its architecture. it also helps to see the detail because of the sunny weather. it seems that every time someone on here posts pics of Madrid there is not a cloud in the sky! is the weather really that great all the time?

It is true that it can be cold in winter (around -5ºC at night) and hot in summer (up to 40ºC during the day), but the sunny light is very typical of Madrid. With no exagetation, it´s like the light in Greece or in the Mediterranean sea. So you have have cold and very sunny days in winter too. The last winter was specially rainy comparing to the last 5-10 days. It has rained a lot, so that helps to see all the greenery so big.The nature in the north of Madrid (sierra) is this year specially green this year.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #25
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
I agree absolutely with your grandad. It´s terrible to see like that.

I see it was a family trip then. I hope you had a good time, at least the weather seems nice.

I see too that your walked a lot because you show many places that now all the visitors go to.

Hoping not interrupting your wonderful thread just a picture of how things will be if everything goes OK.

A view of the whole reform.

Your pictures of the palace are great. No need to say it´s one of the best things of Madrid. Your pictures show its different façades very well, Mike. It´s always interesting to see the vision of the city of somebody from outside. It makes you realize of many things that you see everyday and dont pay attention to them.

Bristol is also suffering delays in the construction? Here many important projects are stopped or very slow. Bristol seems more "finished" than Madrid considering the pictures I´ve seen in your thread.
Yes, I visited Madrid with my Grandfather who after Madrid, ventured to the Estremadura and later to Andalucia. Thanks for posting those piccies, I think the first one is the one I saw on the construction boards while I was there so a nice reminder. It should look great when it is finished.

And yes, although many additions have come to Bristol in the last year such as the Bristol & West Tower on the centre and the Colston Hall, many of the edifices on Temple Way are taking their time and some plans haven't even got going yet. Because of that balance, you never see Bristol without at least five cranes on the skyline. The central areas certainly are finished due to the age of the buildings and the fact that much of the old centre is listed so nothing can be done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
Madrid is so beautiful for its exquisite detail in its architecture. it also helps to see the detail because of the sunny weather. it seems that every time someone on here posts pics of Madrid there is not a cloud in the sky! is the weather really that great all the time?
We were very fortunate with the weather while we were there. I was told there was snow in many parts of central Spain the Wednesday before, while Britain was at 22C with sunshine but it was gorgeous while we were there. It was flippin' freezing at night but very pleasant during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Well... You can freeze in winter and get burnt in summer

And the river... as Cervantes said "Manzanares, river's apprentice"
Absolutely. Whereas in Britain you can freeze in winter but the summer temperatures are somewhat of an apology in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
beautiful set!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parte del mundo View Post
Pics of Gran Via Ave? Id like to see streel level pictures of this commercial and financial area of Madrid.
Btw Thank you for the pics.
Absolutely, you should love this update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Stunning pictures.MOre, please.
More comin' up .

Quote:
It is true that it can be cold in winter (around -5ºC at night) and hot in summer (up to 40ºC during the day), but the sunny light is very typical of Madrid. With no exagetation, it´s like the light in Greece or in the Mediterranean sea. So you have have cold and very sunny days in winter too. The last winter was specially rainy comparing to the last 5-10 days. It has rained a lot, so that helps to see all the greenery so big.The nature in the north of Madrid (sierra) is this year specially green this year.
Thanks for that. For once we had quite a dry but very cold winter here in the UK and dry theme had sort of set in until May which was been a bit of a washout so far. I do like the clearness and comfortable humidity level in Madrid though - much more bearable than that of Paris and London.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #26
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART IV
Sabatini to Gran Vía

Having left the Palacio Real, one can entre El Jardin de Sabatini. It is a small but lovely garden on the northern side of Palacio Real. A short hop across the road also brings you to the Plaza de España, towered over the Torre de Madrid and Edifico de España. In the square stands statues of Don Quixote and a neighbouring Sancho Panza, loomed over by a large monument of Cervantes - which was a perfect setting as we visited on Cervantes Day. A service was being held in memory of Cervantes and the Municipal Police band played El Abanico by A. Javaloyes.

Exiting Plaza de España immediately brings you onto the Gran Vía, possibly the busiest and noisiest street in Madrid. Interestingly, the buildings get older as you moves eastwards along it which made for a nice travel back through time. Where the Torre de Madrid towers above the ground at one end, one is greeted by the Edifico Metrópolis at the other.

Jardin de Sabatini, Palacio Real

Jardin de Sabatini, Torre de Madrid

Jardin de Sabatini, Los Fuentes

Jardin de Sabatini, Torre de Madrid

Jardin de Sabatini, North Gate

Jardin de Sabatini, Calle de San Vicente

Jardin de Sabatini, Palacio del Senado

Calle de Ferraz, El Museo del Cerrabo

Plaza de España

Plaza de España, Don Quixote y Sancho Panza

Plaza de España, Live Band

Plaza de España, Cervantes Service

Plaza de España, Cervantes Service

Plaza de España, Laying of the Wreath

Plaza de España/Gran Vía Corner Building

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía, Callao

Plaza San Martín

Plaza San Martín, El Convento de las Descalzas (Convent of Removing Shoes)

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía, Calle Jardines

Gran Vía, Metro

Gran Vía, Calle de la Montera

Gran Vía, Calle Jardines

Gran Vía, Edifico Telefónica

Gran Vía, Calle Jardines

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía

Gran Vía, Corner Building

Calle Jardines

Calle Jardines

Calle Jardines

Calle Jardines

Calle Jardines, Reflection

Calle Jardines

Calle Jardines, Banco de España

Gran Vía

Last edited by Bristol Mike; May 18th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #27
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

WOW Mike, how did I miss this thread ? It is FABULOUS mate. Madrid is very, very high on my list of places to see, you must have loved it ?
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #28
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Beautiful updated photos @Mike of Madrid very nice, thanks for sharing
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #29
JAVICUENCA

What a thread!

Apart from the pictures, the information about the city is great. Good job, mate. Thanks again.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #30
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

nice pics.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #31
Parte del mundo

Likes (Received): 20

Thanks so much for granting my wishes. Now I can die with smile on my face.
Parte del mundo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #32
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5963

Thanks alot, looks like im going to have to wait to post my pics now lol! Great pictures, looks like you went not long before / after me. Amazing city, really beautifull!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #33
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
WOW Mike, how did I miss this thread ? It is FABULOUS mate. Madrid is very, very high on my list of places to see, you must have loved it ?
Lol, thanks mate. Yes I would certainly recommend you visiting this city - it's fantastic and from that - yes I absolutely loved it. In some ways I wish I was there an extra day. The atmosphere there is great, and that's not only meteorologically

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Beautiful updated photos @Mike of Madrid very nice, thanks for sharing
Hey thanks my friend.

Quote:
What a thread!

Apart from the pictures, the information about the city is great. Good job, mate. Thanks again.
Thanks mate, glad you like the commentaries. Plenty more to come too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
nice pics.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parte del mundo View Post
Thanks so much for granting my wishes. Now I can die with smile on my face.
No problem, I love Gran Vía too, the progression of different buildings through the late 19th century into the 20th century from one end to another is great. Very cosmopolitan! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Thanks alot, looks like im going to have to wait to post my pics now lol! Great pictures, looks like you went not long before / after me. Amazing city, really beautifull!
Oh I do apologise about that. I don't see why you can't post yours now though, I'd say the more threads there are of Madrid the better really . I look forward to seeing your pictures. Yes I was there 21st-24th April.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #34
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART V
Calle de Alcalá to Plaza Santa Ana

Marked by the wonderful façade of the Metrópolis building is the junction of Gran Vía and Calle de Alcalá. Running east of Puerta del Sol and down to the Paseo de la Castellana, the Calle de Alcalá and Carrera San Jerónimo are both key financial and political corridors in Madrid. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder along Calle de Alcalá are the Finance Ministry, the Banco de España and most of the major private banks. The avenue passes Cibeles and continues northeastwards towards Plaza de Ventas Bullring.

Running southeast towards Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, the Carrera de San Jerónimo leads past characterful old shops to the Congreso de los Diputados, home of the Cortes, the Spanish Parliament.This is another key financial avenue which if followed westwards brings you to Plaza de Canalejas, named after José Canalejas, the Prime Minister of Spain who was assassinated at the Casa de Correos in Puerta del Sol in 1912.

Going south from Plaza de Canalejas, some sidestreets take you past charming old buildings occupied by tapas and traditional restaurants until an arrival in Plaza Santa Ana. This lovely French-influenced square is the home of the Teatro Español and an iconic white-fronted hotel that overlooks the square to the west. Here live music plays regularly and the square can prove a wonderful place to sit out under the stars during an evening meal.

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, View up Gran Vía

Calle de Alcalá, Edificio Metrópolis

Calle de Alcalá, Edificio Zurich

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, San José

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, Listo - Fijo - Ir!

Calle de Alcalá, Cibeles, Palacio de las Comunicaciones

Calle de Alcalá, Metro

Calle de Alcalá, Plaza de Cibeles y Puerta de Alcalá Behind

Calle de Alcalá, Palacio de Linares

Calle de Alcalá, Cibeles, Palacio de las Comunicaciones

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, Metro

Calle de Alcalá, Instituto Cervantes

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo, Plaza Cánovas del Castillo

Carrera de San Jerónimo, El Congreso de los Diputados

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo, San Jerónimo el Real

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Carrera de San Jerónimo, San Jerónimo el Real

Carrera de San Jerónimo, Canalejas

Carrera de San Jerónimo

Canalejas, View of Puerta del Sol

Canalejas

Canalejas

Canalejas

Canalejas

Canalejas

Canalejas

Canalejas, Calle de la Cruz

Canalejas, Calle Núnez de Arce

Plaza Santa Ana

Plaza Santa Ana

Plaza Santa Ana

Plaza Santa Ana, Cuban Band Playing

Plaza Santa Ana, Teatro Español

Plaza Santa Ana

Plaza Santa Ana, Hotel Penthouse

Plaza Santa Ana, Hotel Penthouse
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #35
JAVICUENCA

Wow, again impressive pictures, Mike.

Did you go up to the roof of the Penthouse Hotel? There is a terrace there with a wonderful view.

Thanks again.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #36
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3335

Great shots.

I will be there soon. Staying at Plaza Santa Ana!

The Gran Via must be the most imposing street in Europe! It gives me a Chicago feel somehow.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #37
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Yes, I visited Madrid with my Grandfather who after Madrid, ventured to the Estremadura and later to Andalucia. Thanks for posting those piccies, I think the first one is the one I saw on the construction boards while I was there so a nice reminder. It should look great when it is finished.

And yes, although many additions have come to Bristol in the last year such as the Bristol & West Tower on the centre and the Colston Hall, many of the edifices on Temple Way are taking their time and some plans haven't even got going yet. Because of that balance, you never see Bristol without at least five cranes on the skyline. The central areas certainly are finished due to the age of the buildings and the fact that much of the old centre is listed so nothing can be done to it.
Sorry, Mike, I wanted to answer you sooner, but I couldn´t.

I hope you had a good time in Extremandura and Andalucía too. It´s a good time to visit there, before the strong heat of the summertime and with quite interesting places to go to.

I see the crisis is beating eveywhere. At least the center of Bristol is finished. Here we had two important projects -the river and the reform of Paseo del Prado- that are going veeeeery slowly for lack of money. Anyway, let´s hope that crisis will soon be over and the cranes of Bristol and all the cities of this forum start again working quickly.

Apart from that, your last pictures are again beautiful. I like very much the pictures of detail. It seems you have a good camera, don´t you? Thanks again. cheers:
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM   #38
Obidos
_La Nada_

Likes (Received): 8

Wonderful pics and wonderful thread of the city where I live. Thanks a lot Mike
Obidos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:05 AM   #39
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Great pictures! Thanks!

Alguien me podría decir de quién es la poesía concreta en la fachada del Instituto Cervantes? Está muy buena!

Gracias.
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM   #40
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Beautiful!! You captured my homeland perfectly! I can't wait to return! Thanks for this!
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world